Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Movie Remakes

With the upcoming Friday the 13th remake coming up tomorrow on Friday the 13th (two this year though, one in Feb and one in March!), I was wondering what older movies would be good as remakes?

In a way, I think a Smokey and the Bandit remake would do well, but I think I'd rather see a remake of this movie:

Cube (1997)

Quote:
Six different people, each from a very different walk of life, awaken to find themselves inside a giant cube with thousands of possible rooms. Each has a skill that becomes clear when they must band together to get out: a cop, a math whiz, a building designer, a doctor, an escape master, and a disabled man. Each plays a part in their thrilling quest to find answers as to why they've been imprisoned.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

Smokey and the Bandit is one of my all time favorites and would never watch a remake of it. As with the Longest Yard. Never watched the remake of that either.

Now, I would maybe like to see a remake of Logans Run or maybe a update to the SFx to it.

I would also maybe be able to tolerate a remake of Damnation Alley as well.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Travis
Pro Rookie

Can we get a remake of Episode I of Star Wars?

Too soon?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised nobody has tried to update some of the classic cowboy movies.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Smokey and the Bandit is one of my all time favorites and would never watch a remake of it. As with the Longest Yard. Never watched the remake of that either.

Now, I would maybe like to see a remake of Logans Run or maybe a update to the SFx to it.

I would also maybe be able to tolerate a remake of Damnation Alley as well.

I watched Logan's Run about a month ago for the first time and it was painful. Horrible acting and horrible effects.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
SteveMax58
College Starter

I'd like to see an updated version of Escape from New York.

Miracle Mile would be another one I would think could be a pretty good candidate for updating.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Last Dinosaur!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think if the correct person did it, a remake of "Clash of the Titans" would be outstanding. The wrong person doing it would just be a trainwreck however.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Jason and the Argonauts
or
The Valley of the Gwangi
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Turk 182!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
cuervo72
Head Coach

Russ Meyer films.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Her's one supposedly in production that I still just can't believe:

Steven Spielberg's re-imagining of "Oldboy", starring Will Smith.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

A Last Tango In Paris remake starring Scarlett Johansson
Old 02-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Her's one supposedly in production that I still just can't believe:

Steven Spielberg's re-imagining of "Oldboy", starring Will Smith.

From what I read (on Wikipedia, though) it's more based on the comic book than the movie,

Spoiler
Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I still want to see "The Dirty Dozen" redone with a new cast of modern action heroes. Heck, you could even do it as some modern anti-terror suicide mission. Unfortunately we're getting too far along for it to involve Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Van Dam, Roger Moore, and the other big 80s/90s stars, but vin Diesel, Clive Owen, whats-his-face that plays Bond nowadays (or even Dalton and Brosnan for a complete Bond trifecta!), etc and you'd have a pretty good cast. With the rise of the female action star, you could add a couple of women to the cast and really modernize it. Let Clint Eastwood be the crusty old sergeant that has to lead them. I'd go see this one any day.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I still want to see "The Dirty Dozen" redone with a new cast of modern action heroes. Heck, you could even do it as some modern anti-terror suicide mission. Unfortunately we're getting too far along for it to involve Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Van Dam, Roger Moore, and the other big 80s/90s stars, but vin Diesel, Clive Owen, whats-his-face that plays Bond nowadays (or even Dalton and Brosnan for a complete Bond trifecta!), etc and you'd have a pretty good cast. With the rise of the female action star, you could add a couple of women to the cast and really modernize it. Let Clint Eastwood be the crusty old sergeant that has to lead them. I'd go see this one any day.

They did make a funny parody of that in the Critic, which would have been in the mid 90s with schwarzeneggar, stallone, van damme, etc. "Do you know how much it cost to get Saddam Hussein to play himself? I had to give him a whole mess of Tomahawk missiles. And then Stallone wanted them and Schwarzeneggar..."

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-12-2009 at 03:55 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Keep an eye on inglorious bastards plot seems similar to that.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Keep an eye on inglorious bastards plot seems similar to that.

I'm still going to see it, being a huge Tarantino fan, but the trailer kind of fell flat with me.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
That does sound very cool.

Sort of on the topic of remakes but not really, remember how Rocky Balboa and Rambo did decently? I wouldn't mind seeing another installment of Lethal Weapon or The Road Warrior.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I'd like to see an updated version of Escape from New York.

Miracle Mile would be another one I would think could be a pretty good candidate for updating.

I have to second these recommendations here. I'd love to see an updated Snake Pliskin (and that Escape from LA piece o' crap doesn't count), and Miracle Mile is one of my all-time favorites (and it never ceases to amaze me how many people have never seen it).

Also, perhaps a modernized/re-imagined BladeRunner? Or is that too much of a sacred cow?
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 02-12-2009 at 04:44 PM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

I read an article today that Bryan Singer (Usual Suspects, first 2 X-Men, and that Superman re-boot) is thinking of doing a Logan's Run re-make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I think if the correct person did it, a remake of "Clash of the Titans" would be outstanding. The wrong person doing it would just be a trainwreck however.

I believe a "Clash Of The Titans" re-make is already in production (being directed by the guy who directed the newest Hulk movie).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

They are actually begining to film a movie called "The Expendables", which is very similar. It's about a team of mercenaries head to South America on a mission to overthrow a dictator.

The cast is rumored to include:

Stallone
Jason Stratham
Jet Li
Mickey Rourke
Doplh Lundgren
Forest Whitaker

And others...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
That does sound very cool.

Sort of on the topic of remakes but not really, remember how Rocky Balboa and Rambo did decently? I wouldn't mind seeing another installment of Lethal Weapon or The Road Warrior.

There was a LOT of talk and rumors about another Road Warrior movie being helmed by George Miller. After many fits and starts the project finally died.

Given how off-the-rails Mel Gibson has been and how his career has pretty much tanked since the whole crazy anti-sematic rant, a new Road Warrior movie could be a way for him to get back in the game. Still, it's unlikely.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #24
Groundhog
Coordinator

Road Warrior 2: I Hate the Jews
Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Debbie does Dallas starring Jesica Alba, costarring.... ME!!!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #26
dervack
College Prospect

Gerard Butler was rumored to be attached to a remake of Escape to New York, but I think the project is a bit in limbo right now.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #27
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:

They'd have to hock a third-world country to get that cast.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #28
Crim
College Benchwarmer

That's right. You know you want it.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #29
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

That's right. You know you want it.
I bought it on DVD a couple months ago. The movie has not aged well.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #30
SFL Cat
College Starter

Last Starfighter? Yeah...lower the cheese quotient a bit from the original and I'd watch it.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 02-12-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #31
Swaggs
Coordinator

Clash of the Titans is a good call.

Salem's Lot is one that scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid, but did not hold up very well at all. I'd like to see it done with some modern effects and w/o the late 70s hair.

Beastmaster would be another.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #32
SFL Cat
College Starter

I thought they did a Salem's Lot remake for TV not too long ago.

Beastmaster...yeah...Mark Singer could be the king in this one.

Anyone remember Beastmaster II, when Dar had a perm?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #33
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Can I be in the Smokey and the Bandit remake please? Flasch, give me acting lessons ASAP, please.

Clash of the Titans would be good. Friday the 13th I look forward to, but the Nightmare on Elm Street remake I am iffy on with no Robert Englund.

I thought TRON was supposed to be getting a makeover by Hollywood?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #34
oykib
College Starter

Am i the only one who's sick to death of remakes?

How about making something new?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I thought TRON was supposed to be getting a makeover by Hollywood?

They are currently making a sequel.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #36
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Last Tango In Paris remake starring Scarlett Johansson

Winner.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #37
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

The New Centurians
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #38
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There needs to be a revisiting of "The Wraith". Skank and Gutterboy are severely underrated as 1980s movie icons.

On a separate note, there is also a third Friday the 13th this year, in November.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #39
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Turk 182!

Who knew? Tyler, that's who!

Mine would be Metalstorm - the Destruction of Jared-Syn
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #40
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

On a separate note, there is also a third Friday the 13th this year, in November.

I didn't realize you guys were talking about the actual day and went to IMDB to see if more Friday the 13th movies were actually coming out this year.

Off of that little look at IMDB though, I find myself surprised to discover how quickly they pumped these movies out when they started it. They had six Friday the 13th movies in six years, from 1980 to 1986. They then took two whole years to come back for part seven, with part eight the year after in '89. Then they slowed down with four more years until part nine in '93.

The last Saw movie that came out I rolled my eyes, though with only five movies in five years they are yet to catch the standard set by Friday the 13th I guess.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #41
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
They'd have to hock a third-world country to get that cast.
Nah, just keep it fun and give everyone action on the backend. That's how they made three Ocean's 11 movies.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #42
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Friday the 13th remake apparently made over $42M during the weekend and is expected to approach $60M with the 3-day weekend. Pretty hard to believe, as I do not know anyone that was that interested in seeing it out of nostalgia, there aren't really any major stars in it, and the critical reception was pretty terrible.

I watched a Showtime special on the rise of the horror genre and its golden era, at the box office, was generally in the late 70s to early 80s. I wonder if there is some type of relationship between the mindset that bad economies put people in and their desire to escape to see horror movies.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #43
SFL Cat
College Starter

I know that we went to see most of those old horror flicks at the drive-in. Don't know if that had anything to do with their success or not.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 02-15-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #44
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I watched a Showtime special on the rise of the horror genre and its golden era, at the box office, was generally in the late 70s to early 80s. I wonder if there is some type of relationship between the mindset that bad economies put people in and their desire to escape to see horror movies.

Actually, that's one of those cliches. I was talking to my wife about this a couple of weeks ago about how we're going to see horror movies make a comeback since they're popular in bad economic times.

SI

Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #45
SteveMax58
College Starter

The thread about non-remake movies kinda made think of one to add to this list.

I'd love to see a remake of "The Stand"...only without the made for TV feel...and possibly without Steven King involved (though still based on his basic version). The original started off great for me (best opening scene/music combo eva!!)...but it just got boring and ended poorly (as I find with a lot of King's movies, though I can't compare to the book as I never read books for entertainment).
Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's just way too long to make into a movie. The old mini-series has its faults but I think turning it into a 2 1/2 hour movie would be a mistake.

SI

Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #47
SteveMax58
College Starter

I was thinking 3 to 4 hour-ish...does that make it any better?

I really love the concept of it, I just can't stand the "episode" feel of it, and the b-grade acting. But I agree...tough to trim down to 2 1/2 hours.

Though the de-emphasizing of some of the sub-plot characters (maybe just remove some) and focusing on the Illness>Gathering>Stand (with a much improved ending sequence) could make for an entertaining longer film. I'm thinking an hour to focus on each of those should do it. IDK...maybe.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #48
Jas_lov
College Starter

Wikipedia says some guy wrote a 3 hour script for The Stand but the producers dropped out of the project. So they went with the tv movie and King wrote the script for it.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I think they could do it in 3-4 hours. Didn't they get "It" within that time frame and it's a similar length? I've never read "It" so I don't know if there was more they could cut from that than there is in The Stand. I'd be very interested in a new version of the movie as well as The Dark Tower which is being made into a series of movies by JJ Abrams.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #49
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't see how they could do the Stand in 3-hours. Just too many essential characters and too long of a time line to do it justice. You need to do backstory and followup on Stu, Frannie, Nick, Larry, Nadine, and Randall Flagg. And, at least a little bit of backstory on Tom Cullen, Trashcan Man, Mother Abigal, and Harold.

They could probably pull off a multi-movie (a la the Lord of the Rings trilogy), but I'm not sure how you write it into chapters. It seems like you could do the first part about the disease and the journey to Colorado/Las Vegas and then a second about the stand in Las Vegas.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #50
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

"Game of Death" because anybody who saw it knows how much of a travesty that movie was while having potential.