Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Scrubs - Final Season

I just wanted to get this started. Season 6 was a disappointment to me, especially compared to 1-4, so I'm hoping they end on a high note.

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

The last 2 seasons were so annoying I took it off my DVR early last season.
-apoc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

I watched it. Last season was lesser than the seasons before it, but I still enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing how everything plays out. I read an interview with Zach Braff and Bill Lawrence... looking forward to the season.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

I liked last season personally. Plus they thought that was going to be the last season since NBC kept them in the dark, they didn't find out they would be extended one more season till close to the end of the season.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
RainMaker
General Manager

I liked the first few seasons of the show but I think they're just running out of ideas. I have little to no interest in the relationships anymore on the show. Still putting it on the DVR and watching it when I get a chance though.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
bob
College Starter

FYI to anyone still interested. ABC will start new episodes of Scrubs on January 6th at 9 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
FYI to anyone still interested. ABC will start new episodes of Scrubs on January 6th at 9 PM.

Thanks Bob, this is one of the reasons I wanted to get a Tivo. I was actually looking for the start day/time yesterday and didn't find it. Gracias.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks. Is it still the same writers, producer, etc.?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yep, everything is still the same. I thought last season was headed in a good direction before the strike. They had a plan for the entire season heading to a finale and got the rug ripped from under them.

Still easily the most underrated show on network TV. John C. McGinley is as deserving of an Emmy than anyone.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Yep, everything is still the same. I thought last season was headed in a good direction before the strike. They had a plan for the entire season heading to a finale and got the rug ripped from under them.

Still easily the most underrated show on network TV. John C. McGinley is as deserving of an Emmy than anyone.

Cool.

Exactly. I don't get why NBC just pulled the plug? John C. shoudl get an award for sure.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

I really liked this when I saw it first:
Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't know they were still making these.

I thought the first few were watchable. Last season was just awful though. Characters are just way to played out.

Except for Buckland. I'll never sick of him.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
SFL Cat
College Starter

I've never seen the attraction of this show...
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I didn't either until I actually watched it Last season was a true disappointment. The "finale" with the Princess Bride parody was easily one of the worst episodes I've ever seen of any TV show. Ever. Seriously.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #16
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

New ABC episodes start tonight. I believe they are showing two per night for the next few Tuesdays. The initial reviews I read were positive.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yes, two per Tuesday is what I see as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Cool.

Exactly. I don't get why NBC just pulled the plug? John C. shoudl get an award for sure.
The show has always been a critical darling although it's never gotten the love it deserves at the Emmys. Ultimately NBC screwed the show so much with timeslot changes that it could never build an audience. I guess since Newsradio was off the air, NBC needed to find another quality comedy to screw up.

The real reason NBC pulled the plug is that the show is less profitable for them than it is for the producer ... which is ABC. Touchstone/Disney makes the show, and it's always been a strange bedfellow at NBC. The only reason were getting another season on ABC is that Scrubs is a gold mine in syndication. There have even rumors that ABC may try and create a "Fraiser"-esque spinoff to keep it going.

Of course, ABC's other problem is that it doesn't really have a companion on the network. That's why we're getting two episodes a week for a while. The only show ABC thinks they can pair it with is ... itself. I wouldn't be surprised if ABC just burns off the entire season in nine one-hour chunks and that's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Except for Buckland. I'll never sick of him.
Ted: What's a "Buckland?"
Dr. Cox: It's a predominantly hairless growth never found on women.
Ted: Weird.
Dr. Cox: It's your last name, Ted.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Oh and you can say goodbye to The Todd's banana hammock ... apparently the Disney censors told the producers they had carte blanche to do anything they used to do at NBC except put guys in thongs.

It's a win for the eyes, but The Todd and his banana hammock was always good for a laugh.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #20
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Oh and you can say goodbye to The Todd's banana hammock ... apparently the Disney censors told the producers they had carte blanche to do anything they used to do at NBC except put guys in thongs.

It's a win for the eyes, but The Todd and his banana hammock was always good for a laugh.

I think the only time I really enjoyed the banana hammock was during the 3-floor atomic wedgie.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In addition my channel guide says ABC is showing Scrubs in High Def!!! YAY!!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not sure if that was the series finale last night, or just a season finale... but it was very well done I thought. Would be great for a series finale, and it felt like that too.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure if that was the series finale last night, or just a season finale...

You aren't alone. The latest rumor, although it isn't mentioned in the short linked article below, is that they'll get another season but that most of the current cast will be reduced to recurring roles at most & the show will focus on a new crop of interns.

Media Life Magazine - For 'Scrubs,' the last episode. Or is it?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #24
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Scrubs 2 Electric Bugaloo
Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #25
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yeah, the rumor has been hot and heavy that ABC and the producers are negotiating a renewal. As Jon's link mentions the ratings haven't been great but it's been a good match with Better Off Ted and ABC doesn't have another show to pair with it well, plus Scrubs has been syndication gold for Disney.

As a fan, I say let it go. Most of the key cast is moving on and it would difficult to get more than the occasional cameo from some of the characters. I think the only thing they could is focus the show on Dr. Cox if John C. McGinley would stay. But I don't want to see the show tarnished with an inferior product.

The stories I've read have tied Scrubs to ER and saying that it could go that model of switching out cast members. But ER did that from the beginning. Remember Michael "Jester" Ironside? It's kind of hard to start doing that in season 9.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

eh - i don't think it could go that route. it doesn't have the great drama, the great storylines that a dramatic show (such as ER) had, that allow it to pull that off. All it has is comedy, and frankly I think the comedy-potential of that setting is a bit...played out?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #27
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think what made me love Scrubs so much is the combination of drama and comedy, so I don't agree with you DT.

But I don't want to see it continue without the main guys.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #28
Tasan
College Starter

I've been a Scrubs fan since the start, and I really think they need to just let it end. Last night was a perfect series finale, and you should just walk away now.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #29
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Just watched the "series finale" on Tivo and enjoyed it immensely. The montage at the end with Peter Gabriel's music was very touching.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #30
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Just an amazing episode. I've been going through a lot in my personal life lately and this episode of Scrubs really personified everything for me. It was really tough to watch.

I don't want the series to end, but you can't lose any of the four main characters and have the show be anything like it used to be. Who knows what will happen. If it's still around in any form, I'm sure I'll give it a chance. But it won't be the same. End of an era...
Old 05-08-2009, 12:27 AM   #31
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know how it can go on without Zach Braff. He's the protagonist and the whole show runs through him. It was a good show and had a great run. Would be a shame to see them tarnish it to get an extra year out of the name.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #32
Samdari
Roster Filler

Great post on Bill Lawrence's blog about season 9.

He touches on a lot of points that are raised here, including:

1) None of the main cast has jobs that would prevent them from continuing - just pilots.
2) If the show comes back, it would NOT be centered on the interns from this year.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #33
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I thought the finale was great.

In some ways I was very sad to see the series end, but in another I wasn't.

All the comedy shows I remember fondly (Fawlty Towers, Blackadder etc.) finished - the ones which started great but dragged on for years (allo allo,Red Dwarf etc.) I just don't remember quite as passionately - simply put its not quite the same saying "Do you remember Red Dwarf before it got rubbish"

For that reason I think it was a great send off and I'm consoling myself in watching "Better off Ted" which is great (and better not be canned ).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I just saw the finale yesterday... was very well done and touching. I kinda think they should just end it there... hit the right notes.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #35
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure if that was the series finale last night, or just a season finale... but it was very well done I thought. Would be great for a series finale, and it felt like that too.

Yup. I hope they don't continue it.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #36
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I just saw the season finale. I'm sad they renewed it. That would have been a perfect ending to the series.

ABC renews 'Scrubs'

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #37
Tasan
College Starter

Dang. I'm surprised Faison is coming back. With him, McGilney and Janitor coming back, I may have to tune in again.

It was just to finished with that finale though. Can you be sad that one of your favorite shows DOES get renewed?

Last edited by Tasan : 05-17-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #38
RainMaker
General Manager

The show still centered around JD so I think it'll be tough for someone else to take over. Will keep it on the DVR I guess.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #39
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Wow. Wild stuff. I'm glad to see that the show is coming back (because when it's good, it's one of the best shows on TV). But I'm also bummed because I'm afraid it will become a bastardized version of what it once was. I almost have to think of next season as Scrubs 2.0. The current season was the ending of the original Scrubs and I will have to think of the new Scrubs as a different show or a spinoff or something.

I got nothing. Hope the new show is good...
Old 05-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #40
Tasan
College Starter

Think of it as Sacred Heart, the Scrubs spinoff.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #41
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I'll pass thanks.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #42
dervack
College Prospect

I've read that Sarah Chalke and Zach Braff will be back for up to 6 episodes each to usher in the new version of the series.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #43
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Despite the commitments from the cast it might be tough to actually keep them together. Faison, Flynn and McGinley all have pilots that might be picked up for the fall or midseason and if they are picked up, it sounds like Scrubs will be their part-time job, so they will not have full shooting schedules. Braff and Chalke sound like they will only be around long enough to transition to the new cast. I'm very surprised Judy Reyes isn't figuring into the plans for the new show -- I've always liked her, and she seems pretty inegral to Turk's story line.

I like the show and the respect the producers enough to give them a benefit of the doubt. If the get the right cast together, they can make it work. But the catch is holding on to the current audience while drawing a new audience. That's a tough sell in a show's ninth season.

I'd like to say the show's quality is a testament to why ABC is going this route but I know the real answer is that the show is gold in syndication and another full season of shows will be worth millions in syndication revenues. I just wish some other great shows in the past had gotten this kind of continuing support, even if NBC and ABC have jerked the show around in the past.