Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2005, 12:43 AM   #1
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The 2005 College Football Recruiting Thread

I figured with National Signing Day on Wednesday, it was time to strike up the annual recruiting thread. Most of the major prospects have already committed and this weekend is the last weekend that recruits will visit. Schools are trying to fill out their recruiting classes and some top prospects are bound to change their minds.

Memphis started out needing some offensive lineman, a few quarterback prospects, and wide receivers. We really needed to fill out every position on defense, as we stunk it up this year on D. We did red shirt most of the signing class from last year, so hopefully that will help out next year.

Three players enrolled at mid term. Billy Barefield is an athlete from Shreveport Evangel Academy. He was the Texas Private School football player of the year his sophomore and juniors years before going to the Louisiana school. He will get a shot at playing QB but is suspected he will move to a more athletic position. Michael Gibson, a punter from Itawamba CC, was an All American JUCO honorable mention player and is expected to handle some of the punting duties this year. We also inked DB Brandon McDonald from Jones County Junior College. He prepped at Collins High (MS) and hopefully will be able to start in the defensive backfield for us.

In Tennessee, we did ok. We lost super prospect Michael Oher to Ole Miss. He was one of the top prospects in the country and was from right here in Memphis. Darius Myers, a big offensive lineman from Cordova High committed to us, but rumors are surfing that he is backing out of that commitment and considering Ole Miss. We do have a commitment from Paul Edwards, a 6’6” 305 pound lineman from McKenzie High. He also had offers from South Carolina and Mississippi State. We got 6’8” receiver Carlos Singleton from Haywood HS. He is very tall and has some speed but reports say he can not catch a cold. Another receiver, Dave Thomas, from Riverside HS, was a Mr. Football in the state of Tennessee. He was a ton of speed, but did tear his ACL so I suspect that will slow him down. He chose us over Virginia Tech. .

Mississippi has a ton of talent, and Coach West and his staff have turned their attentions to the state lately. We got another wide receiver from Northwest Community College in Brandon Hunt. Hunt is from my high school and he is fast athletic but another guy who struggles catching the ball. We also got an all state linebacker, Jeremy Rockette, from nearby Olive Branch HS. He had offers from the Big 3 in Mississippi.

Out of Arkansas we have a couple of commitments from high school teammates who originally committed to Arkansas State. Eric Evans was named an all state offensive lineman in Class AA and also played on the defensive front. We also got DB Brandon Sturdivant. He seems to be another athlete type player who hopefully can be turned into a cover corner. They are both from East Poinsett County High School.

In Alabama we got a recruit out of Sidney Lanier High School in Montgomery. He is another defensive back who was originally committed to UAB. His name is Bernard Key. He is got good size and speed and is a “athlete” type player.

Georgia seems to be where most of our recruits are coming from. The biggest pick-up there was arguably RB T.J Pitts who chose us over Virginia and Virginia Tech among others. He is from North Hall HS. We also picked up high school teammates Greg Jackson, a LB, and Traye Simmons, a DB. They are out Marietta HS. Jackson was voted MVP of the 5A State Champs squad. Simmons has 4.3 time in the 40 and was also offered by Georgia and Clemson. We also got one more athlete from the Atlanta area in Alonzo Starr from McNair HS. He originally committed to Illinois.

The class seems to be filled with athletes and hopefully the staff will turn them into football players. We will get some surprise commitments I am sure but we will lose a couple as well on signing day. So far, I am excited. Does any of the Georgia contingent know anything about some of the players who have committed to us?

GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

What about Albert Means?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Out of Arkansas we have a couple of commitments from high school teammates who originally committed to Arkansas State. Eric Evans was named an all state offensive lineman in Class AA and also played on the defensive front. We also got DB Brandon Sturdivant. He seems to be another athlete type player who hopefully can be turned into a cover corner. They are both from East Poinsett County High School.

I know right where that hole in the wall is. I'm from Harrisburg, the county seat of Poinsett.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Out of Tennessee, we've done exceptionally well this year. In all honesty, this is the best recruiting class I've seen UT take in since I've really paid attention to this stuff in 1999 (aka when I first got onto the internet).

The only big loss was WR Patrick Turner to USC. Patrick was an in state talent, so that was disappointing. We "lost" Oher as well. Another player that committed early to us is OLB Eugene Hayes from Florida. I imagine we'll lose that commitment to Miami.

Other than that, an excellent class.

In all, I believe we have 20 commitments, and we're looking to secure a few more. I've copied and pasted a list of commits from another forum.

Name POS HT/WT/40 Hometown POS/RNK

1. Jonathan Crompton QB 6-3/205 4.8 Waynesville, NC #2 Dropback QB 4 - Star
2. LaMarcus Coker RB 5-11/180 4.4 Antioch, TN #2 All-Purpose RB 4 - Star
3. Josh Briscoe WR 6-3/170/4.4 Lawndale, NC #42 WR 3 - Star
4. Ricardo Kemp ATH 5-11/175/4.5 Warren, AR #59 ATH 3 - Star
5. Austin Rogers WR 6-2/185/4.4 Nashville, TN #55 WR 3 - Star
6. Wes Brown DT 6-4/245/4.85 Athens, AL #19 DT 4 - Star
7. Demonte Bolden DT 6-5/300 5.0 Chattanooga, TN NR 4 - Star
8. Marsalous Johnson CB 5-8/185/4.4 Smyrna, TN #33 CB 3 - Star
9. Antonio Wardlow S 6-1/185/4.4 Winston-Salem, NC #30 CB 3 - Star
10. Demetrice Morley S 6-0/176/4.5 Miami, FL #3 CB 4 - Star
11. Jeff Cottam TE 6-7/250/4.62 Germantown, TN #13 TE 3-Star
12. Andre Mathis 6-1/224/4.69 Erie, PA #8 ILB 4-Star
13. Todd Cox 6-2/195/4.45 Memphis, TN #15 Athlete 4-Star
14. Malcolm Rawls 6-4/303/5.25 Memphis, TN #9 OG 4-Star
15. Lucas Taylor 5-10/168/4.5 Lafayette, LA #17 ATH 4-Star
16. Josh McNeil OL 6-4/270 Collins, MS #1 OC 4-Star
17. Raymond Henderson 6-5/250/4.66 Oak Creek, WI #8 SSDE 4-Star
18. Adam Myers-White 6-4/190/4.5 Hamilton, OH #9 Safety 4-Star
19. Rico McCoy 6-2/210/4.52 Washington, DC #8 OLB 4-Star
20. Dan Williams 6-3/285/- Memphis, TN #32 DT 3-Star
Old 01-29-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I'm real happy with Ohio State's class. They needed a QB, got a 4-star one. Needed a RB, got the Florida all-time HS rushing leader. Got yet another world class fast DB from Glen Oak HS (same school as Ted Ginn), needed O-line help and got one of the very best in the country, and they also got the number 2 D-lineman in the country. A class that hits on all their needs.

What surprised me though, and I realize it's still early, is that Florida State is way down as the number 25 class (according to CNN/SI), and Miami, normally top 5, is only at 14. Mediocre by their standards. Grumbling down in South Florida is Coker just isn't the same kind of recruiter as they are used to down there.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Cuckoo
College Starter

I won't go through all of OU's recruits right now, as I don't have near the time (someone else probably could). But I know that one recruit who is very important now that Brodney Pool has left early for the NFL is Reggie Smith. He's rated top 25 nationally, I think, and has narrowed his choices to USC, OU, and Nebraska. He'd be a very good one for the Sooners to get.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Ardent -

How close is Poinsett County in relation to Memphis?

I thought we had a decent shot at getting Malcolm Rawls and Dan Williams out of Memphis East. However, East has a tradition of sending their players to SEC schools. I think they were a package deal from the start. Some are questions whether Todd Cox and Jeff Cottam are overrated according t these recruiting services.

This morning we got an additional recruit. Stacey Jones is a 6’2” 235 pound tight end/fullback . I suspect he will make the move to linebacker but I am not sure. We do use a fullback sometimes in our offense. He says he had another offer from Army. I think several teams were recruiting him from the beginning but they dropped off. That worries me a bit.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

**Small correction Leonidas Tedd Ginn is from Glenville High School in Cleveland.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA has a bunch of sleepers to go with the man who'll save the program. Ben Olson! The former Top rated Prep QB who committed to BYU orginially out of HS.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Ardent -

How close is Poinsett County in relation to Memphis?

I thought we had a decent shot at getting Malcolm Rawls and Dan Williams out of Memphis East. However, East has a tradition of sending their players to SEC schools. I think they were a package deal from the start. Some are questions whether Todd Cox and Jeff Cottam are overrated according t these recruiting services.

This morning we got an additional recruit. Stacey Jones is a 6’2” 235 pound tight end/fullback . I suspect he will make the move to linebacker but I am not sure. We do use a fullback sometimes in our offense. He says he had another offer from Army. I think several teams were recruiting him from the beginning but they dropped off. That worries me a bit.

East Poinsett is probably an hour away...I haven't driven from Harrisburg to Memphis since '98, though. I can't quite remember. They're definitely closer to Arkansas St (Jonesboro), which is neighboring Craighead Co.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Due to the past 3 stellar seasons at BYU, and the fact that the wonderful administration drug there feet on finding a coach....I was a little shocked at who we have commitments from so far.

Reynold So'oto are steals for us, but I think the true diamond in the rough is Peter Vailahi. It appears his coach was trying to block the kid in a sense. From everything I heard, he was telling the family not to worry about sending out game film, and everything else. So when the kid is All State, All American, and only the coaches Alma Mater is calling, the mother gets a little curious. She goes to the school, gets game film, and the family produces a highlight reel, this is the end of December. Since most of the majors schools have had the bulk of their schollies tied up, they mainly asked him to walk on with a mid year scholly maybe available (That was Nebraska, Virginia Tech, NC, NC State, South Carolina, and a few others. BYU had some scholarships available for the recent exodus of 4 players not wanting to live within Bronco's disciplined program. Needless to say, we should be inking the kid.

There are also 4 kids who played at my former high school, they have been called the Thunderbird Four around here, and most recruiting circles, all of them are Nationally Ranked, 2 of them have committed to BYU (Reynolds, Covey) and it looks like Ashworth is going to sign, and BYU made a last ditch effort to get Unga who has a soft verbal to Utah, however, he admits he was caught up in the hype of the undefeated season and the #5 ranking, as well as negative talk from U of U about BYU. When he tripped to BYU (Which is funny considering he lives in the same city) he loved the new Facilities we have.

These are our verbals so far:

DT NR Peter Vailahi
(E. E. Waddell HS)
Charlotte, NC 6-3/270 01/25/2005

OL JC Sete Aulai
(El Camino)
Torrance, CA 6-2/295 01/23/2005

RB NR Cade Hulbert
(Capital Senior HS)
Boise, ID 5-10/160/4.40 01/17/2005

OL 8 Matt Reynolds
(Timpview HS)
Provo, UT 6-5/270/5.00 01/17/2005

S JC Chris Bolden
(Riverside)
Riverside, CA 6-1/225 01/09/2005

TE 64 Kyle Leukenga
(Granger HS)
West Valley City, UT 6-4/250/4.79 01/09/2005

RB NR Shawn Doman
(Canby HS)
Canby, OR 6-2/200 12/18/2004

TE 15 Vic So'oto
(Carlsbad HS)
Carlsbad, CA 6-4/220/4.75 12/15/2004

DT 59 Russell Tialavea
(Oceanside HS)
Oceanside, CA 6-3/285/5.10 10/14/2004

CB 93 Stephen Covey
(Timpview HS)
Provo, UT 5-11/185/4.50 09/09/2004
Old 01-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
UCLA has a bunch of sleepers to go with the man who'll save the program. Ben Olson! The former Top rated Prep QB who committed to BYU orginially out of HS.

I hope he keeps his word for you guys......

Good luck with the kid....from everything I saw around here when he was here his freshman year, he was a prima donna that expected worship.

He almost got into a fight with a H.S. Senior that came tripping here, who out threw him in accuracy and distance....

I hope he does well...and you guys can surround him with talent.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #13
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well, he's enrolled and the 3 year previous starter is a friend of his, who happens to be on the shelf til August at least with a torn ACL and MCL.

We'll see what happens I guess
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:56 PM   #14
General Mike
Pro Starter

Rutgers sucks

But Schiano is doing a pretty good job recruiting.

Jonathan-Pierre Ettiene, a 3* DE from Quebec, and Dave McClain a 3* OL from Bucks County, PA are enrolled early.

The highest rated recruit, so far, is Jerome Messam a 4* RB from Ontario, Canada.

We are still in the mix from some good players from both Florida and NJ.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I suspect that QB Brent Schaeffer will transfer from UT. I'd rather he didn't, but I think it will happen. He could go from "costarter" to #3 with the addition of Crompton. I'm thinking Brent may transfer before summer camp.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Rutgers sucks

But Schiano is doing a pretty good job recruiting.

Jonathan-Pierre Ettiene, a 3* DE from Quebec, and Dave McClain a 3* OL from Bucks County, PA are enrolled early.

The highest rated recruit, so far, is Jerome Messam a 4* RB from Ontario, Canada.

We are still in the mix from some good players from both Florida and NJ.

A quote on Messam from Rivals, by Canadian recruiting analyst Ron Dias:

"Jerome Messam is the top running back I have evaluated in 20 years of scouting high school football. He is a special talent. He has great size and strength and runs a 4.5 on his worst day. Jerome Messam is one of those rare athletes that has the potential to play any position on the field except for quarterback. He is a high school player with an NFL body. If he was in the states, he would be mentioned as one of the top players in the country."

Definitely gets my hopes up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #17
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
A quote on Messam from Rivals, by Canadian recruiting analyst Ron Dias:

"Jerome Messam is the top running back I have evaluated in 20 years of scouting high school football. He is a special talent. He has great size and strength and runs a 4.5 on his worst day. Jerome Messam is one of those rare athletes that has the potential to play any position on the field except for quarterback. He is a high school player with an NFL body. If he was in the states, he would be mentioned as one of the top players in the country."

Definitely gets my hopes up.

Nice. But people said the same things about Hutchinson. We all know how well that worked out . Hopefully Messam is qualified.

I'm holding out hopes for 1 or 2 big players, but if we got all the guys we have now, I'll be pretty happy with the class based on last season.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 01-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Nice. But people said the same things about Hutchinson. We all know how well that worked out .

The problem with Hutch is that he was an idiot, plain and simple. Once he left an environment (high school) where he couldn't thrive just based on his physical talents and had to actually use his head to understand how to play D, he was screwed.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:46 PM   #19
General Mike
Pro Starter

I want a commit
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 01-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #20
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
I won't go through all of OU's recruits right now, as I don't have near the time (someone else probably could). But I know that one recruit who is very important now that Brodney Pool has left early for the NFL is Reggie Smith. He's rated top 25 nationally, I think, and has narrowed his choices to USC, OU, and Nebraska. He'd be a very good one for the Sooners to get.

We won't get him.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:09 PM   #21
Tigercat
College Starter

Ryan Perrilloux is the big blue chip left on the table for this class. He visited LSU this week, and despite his oral committ to Texas, is seen as someone who could easily go either way(and MAY even be considering Miss St to start right away at QB.)

Personally, I think he ends up at Texas. He and his family are one of those black sheep recruiting families, ones that fall in love with a non local school as a reaction to the heavy support of that local school. If he and his family really like Texas that badly, thats where he should go, who cares if LSU is closer to home.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #22
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
We won't get him.

Just curious, what makes you say that? All I've heard and read is that he's really undecided and hasn't mentioned any leanings to anyone.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:37 PM   #23
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
I want a commit

6-7, 265 lb. OL Kevin Haslam chose Rutgers over offers from Georgia Tech, South Florida and Central Florida.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 01-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

And NC State, Maryland, etc

If we get him to go hard in the weight room, should be a major player. When someone isn't listed in the major scouting services until December, and comes on with offers from those big schools, I'll take that as a good sign.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:54 AM   #25
Poli
FOFC Survivor

GE, something that may interest you. I got this from govols.com's "extra" coverage on recruiting.

Visitors: Franklin kicker David Campbell may join Arkansas wide receiver Slick Shelley and Cordova offensive lineman Darius Myers as an official visitor this weekend. UT has been impressed with Campbell's strong leg.

Myers, who said Wednesday that he will likely commit to UT this weekend, visited Ole Miss earlier this week. The 6-4, 315 pounder committed to Memphis last week but has since hedged on that announcement.

Myers told The Commercial Appeal late Wednesday he was still considering Memphis, Ole Miss and Tennessee and that "the favorite is Memphis as of right now."

Myers, who has yet to make a qualifying ACT score, said the whole process has been confusing. He's now looking for clarity. "I thought (Memphis) was what I wanted the whole time ... but I'm trying to see what's out there," Myers told the newspaper. "I'm just open right now."

Another player UT is trying to get is Quan Cosby, a minor leaguer with the Angels. I believe the only reason he's considering UT is because of the Trooper Taylor connection. Taylor recruited Cosby for Tulane while Cosby was in HS. Cosby committed to Texas, but later signed a minor league deal with the Angels. Cosby was a quarterback in high school, but projects to be a defensive back in college.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 AM   #26
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
I'm real happy with Ohio State's class. They needed a QB, got a 4-star one. Needed a RB, got the Florida all-time HS rushing leader. Got yet another world class fast DB from Glen Oak HS (same school as Ted Ginn), needed O-line help and got one of the very best in the country, and they also got the number 2 D-lineman in the country. A class that hits on all their needs.

Who is the QB?

Also the kid from Glenville (not Glen Oak) is according to Ted Ginn Sr., going to be better than Ted Ginn Jr. Which is hard to believe.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:21 AM   #27
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
Who is the QB?

Also the kid from Glenville (not Glen Oak) is according to Ted Ginn Sr., going to be better than Ted Ginn Jr. Which is hard to believe.

He transferred there for this season...i wouldnt bet on it, as ive seen some video, and despite talent i dont think he quite of jr's level...he will certainly be a good kid, but doesnt blow me away.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:53 AM   #28
Blade6119
Coordinator

Ill comment on my two teams, Mizzou ans Arizona State..

Mizzou: Chase Daniel is one of the best QBs in the nation, is a dual threat like coach loves(Mizzou has some serious young talent at QB...this team will take a hit after brad smith leaves, but suprisingly i dont think it will be too bad). Losing AJ Jimmerson hurt, but i think guys like TE Coffman and LB Brock Christopher could really be good here. Getting Darnell Terrell finally will be a nice treat...he committed out of hish school as one of the top athletes in the land, and has been tearing it up at coffeyville for two years now. Tarell Corby could be a solid DE, but losing the top two players in state(both WRs) hurts as we are pretty thin there in my mind. This wont be the class to carry the program, but coach continues to turn no-name guys like brad smith into studs so its possible he has like 10 all-americans here and no one knows it...

Arizona State: Derek Shaw is a great Qb(We stole him from Miami FL HAHAHA BITCHES!!!!) He fits the mold of the guys we love, and should take over for Keller in a season or two when he leaves. Little dissapointed as for years we have cleaned up in AZ and this year Stoops took most of the best. Keenan Herring is a pretty good looking back, but the guy thats gets me excited is Chris McGaha from here in phoenix. I played against him this year(im a RB who is no where near talented enough to garner attention from top schools...and im not going to d.3 no matter how much crappy north forks science college wants it ). He was all over the field and kept making plays, being rewarded with state player of the year honors. I was close with alot of the top AZ players last year like allan smith from Corona who went to stanford and John Peele who went to Utah. I am buddies now with Ekom Udoifa who is one of the top undecided players in the nation...Ekom, even after his injury, is a level above all those others...someone is going to get a monster who is a genius as well(both he and his brother who committed to stanford a few seasons back are smarties)
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:03 AM   #29
brimick79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas

What surprised me though, and I realize it's still early, is that Florida State is way down as the number 25 class (according to CNN/SI), and Miami, normally top 5, is only at 14. Mediocre by their standards. Grumbling down in South Florida is Coker just isn't the same kind of recruiter as they are used to down there.

This is by no means medicore for Bobby Bowden. He always makes his push on signing day. FSU had alot of top players visiting this weekend. Expect FSU and USC to be the biggest winners on signing days. They're pretty much a lock to get alot of the top as of yet unsigned players. FSU should be top ten at worst, top five at best. USC will be No.1 I Think. Those two are have way to many top players that they look primed to get.

I disagree about Coker not being a great recruiter. His classes are top flight every year. The only reason that Butch Davis did a better job was Miami was dealing with probation and they could promise serious PT. Coker's not in that position.
brimick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:06 AM   #30
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think SUs class sucks as usual (stupid P-brain) and of course we let Paulus go play hoops grrrrrrrr but it will get better under the new staff.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #31
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

State's done remarkably well considering that pretty much for the meat of the recruiting period, we haven't had any OC or DC and our asst. head coach moved on to Urban Meyer's staff at Florida. We just got our new OC in the last couple of days (not a name I recognize, but supposedly pretty good).

At any rate, the big fish is Toney Baker, a 5* RB out of Jamestown, NC who is 5-10/218 and runs 4.45 (grain of salt taken) in the 40. We lost McLendon to the NFL (maybe...injury-prone and fumble-prone are not two quantities most scouts look for in a running back...either way, he's gone), but we are already stacked at RB with Bobby Washington, Darrell Blackman, and Reggie Davis. To add more to the pile back there, we maintained a prior commit through prep school, Andre Brown, a 4* RB from Chatham, Virginia. Not enough footballs to give out.

Beyond them, we have another couple of 4* chaps: Kyle Newell, a DE from Penna, and JC Neal, a safety from SC. We also maintained a 4* commit through JC, Chad Green, a DE from Mississippi.

After that, it's a lot of 3* and 2* material, including Mike Greco, the latest in our attempt to find someone to replace Philip Rivers after the unmitigated disaster that was the duo of Jay Davis and Marcus Stone last year. People are now wondering whether it was Amato who made Rivers or Rivers who made Amato.

At any rate, this year will be interesting to say the least. We're in the same division with FSU, Clemson, BC, Wake, and Maryland. Prior to last year, you'd think that this was going to be a brutal slugfest, but with everyone taking a step back, it's really FSU's division to lose. The other division is going to be the brawl, with Miami, VT, and UVa slugging it out. Someone's going to go brain-dead and declare UNC an up-and-coming team. Don't buy it. In that division, the only team they should beat is Duke. GT is somewhere in between the top three and the other two, but it's not clear which ones they're closer to.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:27 PM   #32
General Mike
Pro Starter

Jason Gwaltney to WVU.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 01-31-2005, 04:54 PM   #33
brimick79
Banned

Quote:
Jason Gwaltney to WVU.

Just to add to what General Mike said, Newsday is reporting this. Which is somewhat of a shock because Ohio State and USC were thought to have the inside track.

Derick Nicholson the no.2 inside linebacker just announced on espnews that he's going to Florida State to play with his brother A.J.

Florida State's linebacking core will probably be the best in the country next year, with A.J , Ernie Sims, and Derrick not redshirting.

Last edited by brimick79 : 01-31-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:04 PM   #34
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Blah, I will take AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter, Mike D'Andrea, Anthony Schlegel, Mike Kerr, and Marcus Freeman anyday.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:19 PM   #35
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimick79
Just to add to what General Mike said, Newsday is reporting this. Which is somewhat of a shock because Ohio State and USC were thought to have the inside track.

Derick Nicholson the no.2 inside linebacker just announced on espnews that he's going to Florida State to play with his brother A.J.

Florida State's linebacking core will probably be the best in the country next year, with A.J , Ernie Sims, and Derrick not redshirting.

Rivals.com is reporting that Gwaltney isn't committed. I still think he will end up at WVU tho since his half brother is going there.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 01-31-2005, 06:57 PM   #36
brimick79
Banned

Quote:
Rivals.com is reporting that Gwaltney isn't committed. I still think he will end up at WVU tho since his half brother is going there.

I knew about rivals not reporting it, but since Newsday is I'm assuming it to be true. Rivals isn't completely reliable(although they're damn close) they reported that Jerrell Powe was going to Auburn hours before he committed to LSU. He's probably going JUCO (Powe that is) anyway but still.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:07 PM   #37
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm just pumped that Arizona is in the top 20 nationally in recruiting (behind only USC and Cal in the Pac-10). They got the No. 5 QB in the country and the top Arizona recruit. They also got a lot of good depth with 6 4-star guys and 14 3-star guys. It's amazing what the addition of Stoops has done as last year they had one 4-star and only 6 3-star guys.

Plus, they still have a shot at 5-star LB Luther Brown (he put Arizona ahead of Miami - only USC has a chance of getting him over AZ), 4-star DT Ekom Udofia and 4-star DE Adrian McCovy.

Last edited by Arles : 01-31-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:11 PM   #38
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
I'm just pumped that Arizona is in the top 20 nationally in recruiting (behind only USC and Cal in the Pac-10). They got the No. 5 QB in the country and the top Arizona recruit. They also got a lot of good depth with 6 4-star guys and 14 3-star guys. It's amazing what the addition of Stoops has done as last year they had one 4-star and only 6 3-star guys.

Hopefully they can get Luther Brown as well.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #39
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Dave Wannstedt has come into Pitt and has done a solid job so far:

(Rankings according to ESPN.com)

#23 Running Back: Conredge Collins, 5-11, 225, 4.5, Miami (Monsignor Pace), FL

#12 Fullback: Shane Brooks, 5-11, 220, 4.6, Duquense, PA

#18 ILB: Earnest Williams, 6-2, 235, 4.6, Monessen, PA...just weighed in at 270 so may make the transition to DL

Others:

DT, Tommy Dunhart, 6-4, 270, Belle Glades, FL
TE, John Pelusi, Central Catholic, Pittsburgh, PA...one of the top TEs in PA
TE/FB/HB, Gus Matakas, 6-2, 245
QB, Bill Stull, 6-3, 190, Seton La Salle, PA...one of the top QBs in PA
OL, CJ Davis, West Allegheny, PA...top OL in SW PA

It is shaping up to be a decent recruiting class this year and I expect better to come in the following years when Wannstedt has more time to recruit.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #40
tucker342
Pro Starter

How about those Hawkeyes?
This is probably Iowa's best class of all time. I'm really excited to see what Ferentz can do with this class, especially considering what he has done at Iowa with mainly 1 and 2 star players

22 total recruits
5 top 100
3 5-star
7 4-star
7 3-star
5th ranked overall class
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #41
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Granger to OU
Tellus to A&M
A&M lost a recruit
Old 01-31-2005, 11:14 PM   #42
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

If Gwaltney signs with WVU, it will turn make a solid, but unspectacular class a lot better. This class has a lot of speed with several RB/CB/LB-types.

Gwaltney is supposed to "officially" announce his decision tomorrow on ESPNews (at roughly 5:00 PM EST for those who care). I still think he is up in the air. He verballed to WVU last season, then apparently verballed to Southern Cal on his official visit there. Since then, the OSU and WVU (and to a much lesser extent USC's b/c they are getting an A+ class w/ or w/o him) messageboards have been full of speculation. When that article came out today, the WVU fans went nuts, but it has been reported that Gwaltney refuted that report.

Up until that report, I figured he would go to USC, but he came to WVU over the weekend on an unofficial visit with his half-brother Scooter Berry and then that article came out, so I'm hoping he is just wanting to make a big splash on ESPNews.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:36 AM   #43
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Does anyone here honestly want to know anything about NIU's recruiting class?

Didn't think so. We are very happy though.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #44
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I need to go see a NIU game this year.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #45
timmynausea
College Starter

If Jason Gwaltney is half as good at football as he is at marketing himself he'll be a superstar. He has basically purposely built the suspense, and in the process made himself a bigger name. I thought he was genuinely confused about his choice until he lied to the recruiting services about being in WV this weekend. Kind of strange, but we'll (WVU) still take him.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #46
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
If Jason Gwaltney is half as good at football as he is at marketing himself he'll be a superstar. He has basically purposely built the suspense, and in the process made himself a bigger name. I thought he was genuinely confused about his choice until he lied to the recruiting services about being in WV this weekend. Kind of strange, but we'll (WVU) still take him.

You are right. I am hoping he isn't going to be another Clarett-like showboat.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #47
Swaggs
Coordinator

WoooHooo!

Gwaltney commits to the Mountaineers on ESPNews.

He said Pete Carroll had just called him before announcing and I thought it was going to be USC. Whew.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #48
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
WoooHooo!

He said Pete Carroll had just called him before announcing and I thought it was going to be USC. Whew.

Congrats. I hate the 'Eers, but it's good for the conference.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 02-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #49
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
WoooHooo!

Nice
Old 02-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #50
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I heard we got Slick Shelley out of Fort Smith, AR, today. That's pretty nifty news, but I believe we already had a receiver or two in the fold. We still have a number of receivers on scholarship as well.

To that end, I really liked that UT had a number of 4 receiver sets against Texas A&M in the bowl game. We even had a few where the tight end or a back was split out wide. It creates some interesting matchups.

Earlier in the season, we ran a number of 3 receiver sets and the backs in the I. Ainge and Schaeffer would look to the sideline get the play and then audible to it. It was effective early on, but teams adjusted and so did UT. I'd prefer to see more bunch principles on the offense. We did some of that against A&M.

Bunch principles, when executed properly, can be scary. See Texas A&M vs. Kansas State in the 1998 Big 12 Championship. Sirr Parker, your my boy!

I'd like to see more of that next year, though it would mean sacrificing either Gerald Riggs or Cory Anderson out of the backfield. Let's just get rid of that tight end. We don't throw to him, anyway. I could live with 3 receiver sets.