Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

'Do Not Call' List Question

Don't know if anyone here can help me out, but I was wondering about the legitimacy of businesses using family members in order to contact said members' relatives by phone. My wife and I are on the list already, but recently some banks have been calling us to try to get information to my in-laws. My in-laws have had some financial difficulty over the past year, but I have no clue about the details past or present. Is it legitimate for me to tell these banks that we are on the 'do not call' list and don't want to be solicited for help in contacting my in-laws? Or is the list strictly for solicitation of a potential customer?

Of course if I was 'Suburban Rhythm', I'd probably be feeding these banks all the info I could.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 05-08-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Wow...I think this could be the first time I'm mentioned in a thread...getting a little misty eyed...however, I might not give anything away, for fear that she be forced to move in with us full-time!

As for the question, I THINK the way it works is if you have had prior business dealings with the organization, they are allowed to call. Also, some sort of exemptions for political or charitable organizations.

So, if you don't have prior dealings yourself with this bank, I would think you could ask them not to call any longer.

Edit to include link--

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...htm#Exceptions
Quote:
29. If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?

No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-08-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't believe the do not call list has anything to do with creditors, just telemarketers. there ARE rules about how creditors can contact people, but I believe they may vary from state to state.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I don't believe the do not call list has anything to do with creditors, just telemarketers. there ARE rules about how creditors can contact people, but I believe they may vary from state to state.

I believe this is right. That said, if you don't want them calling you it can't hurt to threaten them with it. Odds are they wont know the exact law any better than you. Just give the old "I registered my number with the FTC Do Not Call list. I have your phone number and know the name of your company and if you call this number one more time I will report you to the FTC."

I did that once before to some creditor that kept calling our number over and over again looking for someone we didn't know. I finally lost it and called them back and left a message similar to the one described above. It was also the first time I had ever used the "I'm a lawyer" phrase. It worked like a charm. They never called back.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think with annoying creditors, you want to tell them you are having your lawyer contact your state's attorney general.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Yeah, creditors are viscious bastards, and will use any means available to harass and embarass someone into paying a debt. I think they're probably exempt from the "do not call" registry, and the only chance you have of getting them to stop is to tell them you have no idea how to reach your in-laws, and telling them to kindly go f-themselves.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
SnDvls
Pro Starter

had the same thing happen to me...got calls about a brother-in-law. I told the creditor that everything was to go through thier lawyer and to not call me or they would be contacted by the lawyer.

In truth that is where they are supposed to go or through the courts for settlements, but they are trying to get paid 1st or in full in most cases. This scared them off and I haven't heard a word since.

It was really weird that they even got my number being a brother-in-law w/ a different last name and all.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls

It was really weird that they even got my number being a brother-in-law w/ a different last name and all.

It's all in your credit file... who your relatives are, who your neighbors are, even known associates (i.e. - anyone you've ever been roommates with, etc.)
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

They are allowed to call you to find information, but according to the Fair Debt and Collections Practice Act all you have to say is dont call me anymore, and then its against the law for them to do.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote