Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2005, 02:38 AM   #1
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

'Japan soldiers' found in jungle

'Japan soldiers' found in jungle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4585287.stm

Japanese officials in the Philippines are to meet two men who claim to be Japanese soldiers who have lived in the jungle since the end of World War II.

The pair, now in their 80s, were found on the southern island of Mindanao.

They reportedly said they wanted to return to Japan, but were afraid of facing a court martial.

Their claim drew comparisons with the 1974 case of Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda, who was found in the Philippines jungle unaware the war had ended.

'Incredible if true'

The two men on Mindanao had contacted a Japanese national who was collecting the remains of war dead on Mindanao, according to government sources.

They had equipment which suggested they were former soldiers.

"It is an incredible story if it is true," Japan's consul general in Manila, Akio Egawa, told the AFP news agency.

"They were found, I believe, in the mountains near General Santos on Mindanao Island.

"At this stage we are not saying either way whether or not these two men are in fact former soldiers. We may be in a better position later today," he said.

According to Japanese media reports, the pair had been living with Muslim rebel groups and at least one of them has married a local woman and had a family.

The BBC's Tokyo correspondent says the likelihood is that they are well aware the war is over but have chosen to stay in the Philippines for their own reasons.

Remote jungle

Mindanao has seen more than two decades of Muslim rebellion and many areas are out of central government control.

Japan invaded the Philippines in 1941, shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbour, and set up a brutal puppet government.

In the closing months of the war, there was heavy fighting with US troops in the mountainous, heavily forested islands.

The Sankei Shimbun daily said the men would most likely be members of the Panther division, 80% of whom were killed or went missing during the final months of the war.

It speculated there could be as many as 40 Japanese soldiers living in similar conditions in the Philippines.

When Lt Onoda was found on the Philippines island of Lubang in 1974, he initially refused to surrender.

Only when his former commanding officer was flown over from Japan did he agree to leave the jungle.

He later emigrated to Brazil.

BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:55 AM   #2
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

From the article, "The men may be unaware of Emperor Hirohito's death."

Hirohito was born in 1901, so he would be 104 right now if still alive. This is either a hoax, or these soldiers are incredibly stupid. I say untrue.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Given the structure of the Japanese military and society back then, I wouldn't doubt it is true.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
Runtheball
High School JV

Didn't we see this on a Gilligan's Island episode?
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I wouldn't doubt it if it was 25 years ago. Something about living in the jungle for 60 years with out supplies or equipment. The life expectancy would just not be that long.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

It's incredible but probably true. Mindanao is an almost unexplored place, Im pretty sure they lived with some of the natives and such during some of that time.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
When Lt Onoda was found on the Philippines island of Lubang in 1974, he initially refused to surrender.

Only when his former commanding officer was flown over from Japan did he agree to leave the jungle.

Hardcore.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman

Hirohito was born in 1901, so he would be 104 right now if still alive. This is either a hoax, or these soldiers are incredibly stupid. I say untrue.

Why? Hirohito was believed to be a living god. Why would they believe anything other than their emperor was still alive?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman

Where is that in the article?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Hardcore.
no, super hardcore.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:19 PM   #11
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Hardcore.

Hmm, I know of some Lt's I knew back in the day that could take a lesson from this guy.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #12
Suicane75
Coordinator

I dont know if this story is true or not, but i'm not coming out of this basement till Carter is voted out.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
no, super hardcore.

Hell, yeah. You can read the book, "No Surrender" which is just an amazing adventure story really.

They say he still hand rounds for his rifle and the rifle was in perfect shape. Although I don't think he was still using the gun in 1974. He just kept it in good shape. He had hiding spots all over the island where he would steal rice and food and stash it and run. Then come back to it weeks later when the excitement of him "raiding" a village died down.

The guy had no contact with Japan for those years and would see American Task Forces moving around the region during the remainder of the war. Then the American ships were gone. And he would see Jets flying and he had no clue what they were! Amazing stuff really.

My father actually was stationed on Lubang Island for a year in 1973/1974 time-frame and the guy had just given himself up a few weeks before my fathers arrival on the island.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:04 PM   #14
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Seems to me that the Phillipines might have a good case before the world court regarding costs/fees/services/reparations from the Japanese Govt.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:51 PM   #15
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It's true.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:51 PM   #16
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Shows the tesatament and tenacity and loyalty of those soldiers back then. Really something to be commended to follow their orders to the last.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #17
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Dola: Is there an update on this story?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #18
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Well, from the local news channels here in the Philippines... most of the press is basically waiting for Japan to debunk the couple's claim.

Apparently, the negotiator who handled the couple's descent from the jungle and the couple are now nowhere to be found, although most believe that the entire thing was a hoax.

For a while, the claims that the couple were actually telling the truth was actually believable. But I think the press found holes in the negotiator's story and is just waiting for a representative from Japan to officially declare if it's real or not.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote