Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Good PERL books or online sites

I got a quick question I am just finishing up my Masters Degree (MS)in Information Security (Infosec) and am interested in a good place online to learn PERL language or any good books to get acquainted with the language. I have been told that for a network security postion such as security analyst etc.I don't have years to learn this really I need to go form nothing to at least some decent fluency in it, in about 6-8 months. PERL is the most relevant to pick. Currently, I have basic progranmming skill in JAVA, XML, and SQL.Any advice woul dbe appreciated especially anyone in the field.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Can't go wrong with the O'Reilly Perl book. Programming Perl, 3rd Edition, from www.oreilly.com

Benefit of learning Perl...you'll be able to pick up PHP in about 30 seconds after you figure out what you're doing in Perl.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

Learning Perl from O'Reilly is a good reference too (assuming it is still in print).
Old 01-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
primelord
Pro Rookie

Heh well I feel qualified to respond to this considering I am an Info Security analyst and I know Perl. The change_tracker util is actually written in Perl.

Programming Perl, 3rd Edition is a good book, but I don't think it is the right place to start if you don't have any prior coding experience.

I think that Learning Perl, 3rd Edition is a much better book to start out with. It will cover most everything you need to know to write effective security scripts and is setup in more of a tutorial format than Programming Perl is. I would actually suggest pickign up both.

Perl Cookbook, 2nd Edition is another outstanding book. It is full of code examples for everday situations and can be VERY valuable when you are first learning the language, but need to get a project done now.

Last edited by primelord : 01-13-2005 at 12:02 PM.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bah. I learned Perl from the Programming book. Everyone else can too, dammit.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Heh well I feel qualified to respond to this considering I am an Info Security analyst and I know Perl. The change_tracker util is actually written in Perl.

Interesting...

(I wrote some neat little estimator scripts for OOTP5, had thought about what could be done from FOF, but considering there are existing utilities such as the change_tracker...)
Old 01-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I used the llama and the camel, too, about 2 months ago, to learn Perl. Picked them both up at my local library no less and found the llama for only $5 at Half Price Books (I love that store for computer books!)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
primelord
Pro Rookie

If you can handle reading books online http://safari.oreilly.com/ is a pretty neat service. You get access to all the oreilly books as well as books from a large number of other publishers. This would give you access to all the O'Reilly Perl books (all of them are actually good) as well as a ton of security books as well.

I have trouble reading an entire book online, but I use it all the time when I need to search for information on a specific problem or if I left one of my books at home and need to look something up at the office etc.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
one upon a time people would just say "the Camel book" or "the Llama book."

I miss those days
Old 01-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Yes the Camel book and the Llama book. I remember those days. The very best tool I have had in really becoming a much better Perl programmer was a hard copy of the Perl Man pages. I find the examples there every bit as much of a help as anything in the Oreilly books. Then again I did this after reading the Oreilly books, and a few others. I think the Cookbook might be a very good book indeed, and that is without reading it. I base that upon the fact that years ago there was a book called "Perl How to" or somesuch arrangement of those words. It is setup exactly like a Cookbook would be with example after example spelling out how to do individual tasks. I think most folks need more than the Camel book.

I'd say start with the Llama book "Learning Perl", and then check out the CookBook. I think the Camel book is really a reference book, but you should absolutely get it as well.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #11
primelord
Pro Rookie

Another great resource is:

www.perlmonks.org

In addition to being able to post your own questions and what not they have a pretty extensive tutorial section.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:42 PM   #12
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
If you can handle reading books online http://safari.oreilly.com/ is a pretty neat service. You get access to all the oreilly books as well as books from a large number of other publishers. This would give you access to all the O'Reilly Perl books (all of them are actually good) as well as a ton of security books as well.

I have trouble reading an entire book online, but I use it all the time when I need to search for information on a specific problem or if I left one of my books at home and need to look something up at the office etc.

This will be bookmarked for the restof my life. A extremely useful site thanks! Also, I have talked to you here and others in the past about the infosec industry but since you are basically in the job position I am trying to get into more or less I will probably haraass you more than others in the near future about advice to break into the industry and what are some smart career choices especially when it comes to certifications.Thanks.

Dan G.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote