Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #1
bryce
High School Varsity

Home Field Advantage in FOF?

Does anyone know if there are any home field advantages in FOF - I guess the most that really could be done is more false start penalties on the road teams, or delay of games, or something of that nature - has anyone noticed any correlation there?

This may have been brought up before, and if so, I apologize. But I bring it up now b/c in my current league, I've clinched my division already at 11-1, and actually have a first round bye secured as well. All that's left to play for is homefield throughout, but if it doesn't mean anything, I'd like to rest my starters and get some playing time to my youngsters.

bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Take this for what it is worth because I have no hard proof, but I would be suprised if Jim did not factor this in some way or other. He seems too careful to have missed something obvious like that.

I guess one way to test it would be to keep track of home/road records league-wide over 4-5 seasons and see if anything appears.

On the same topic (resting starters). Jim has mentioned before that he did not code in "rust," so if you are worried about injury, don't start someone just to keep him from getting rusty.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Proof from the IHOF (playoffs not included)
all teams in 2006 at home: 156-100
all teams in 2005 at home: 141-115
all teams in 2004 at home: 153-103
Overall winning percentage: 58.59%
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

IHOF playoff home record (championship games not factored in, but the results are in paranthesis):

2004 4-6 ('home' team won IHOF Bowl)
2005 7-3 ('away' team won IHOF Bowl)
2006 8-2 ('away' team won IHOF Bowl)

19-11 (63.33%)

The number of playoff games makes it far from statistically significant, but when combined with the regular season totals its pretty obvious the home teams are winning a significantly larger number of games.

469-329 overall (58.77%)

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 01-13-2005 at 09:34 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The playoffs are skewed because the home teams are (presumably) better.

But a regular season leaguewide home/away comparison over three years is pretty telling.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I am sure that home field advantage is taken into account in TCY, and i bet that it occurs to some lesser extent in FOF. In TCY I know made team has gotten over the hump when they can win on the road.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #7
amdaily
College Prospect

In my current 26 year career, I took a team with a .501 record (207-206-3) and added up their totals.

Home: 123-80
Away: 87-116

A few games got lost in the totals, but not enough to prove home field advantage.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
randal7
H.S. Freshman Team

(I assume) Each home playoff game adds to your revenue as well, which is important in the new version.
randal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:30 PM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

Thanks for tallying those numbers up MIJB and CT. I thought for sure the numbers would be closer to 50/50.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:59 AM   #10
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Thanks for tallying those numbers up MIJB and CT. I thought for sure the numbers would be closer to 50/50.
Well, on my part, the most work came from VPI, who made the special home and away records sortable standings at the IHOF site. I just copy-pasted to Excel and used shift-Down cursor to see the overall win totals.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #11
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I have made an "in-depth" study in my 40-season long Real49ersFootball career and I can tell you that my winning % at home is much better than my road win %
(and here we are talking FOF2 - released in 1999....so I can't imagine this implementation if so it exists -and I definitely think it does- not having been retained for later versions of the game).

40 seasons played :
- San Francisco 49ers home winning record : 251-67-1 (.790)
- San Francisco 49ers road winning record : 195-126 (.610)
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
bryce
High School Varsity

yea, i figured over the haul, the home team win % would be higher. i guess what i'd be interested in, if it's been studied, is the play-by-play details. ie, i call my own plays, but even if you don't and just read the game logs, i wonder how home field advantage affects specifically each play. more penalties and dropped balls on the road team? maybe more missed tackles or some such, resulting in bigger plays for the home team?
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Well, on my part, the most work came from VPI, who made the special home and away records sortable standings at the IHOF site. I just copy-pasted to Excel and used shift-Down cursor to see the overall win totals.

Is there anything VPI can't do?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote