Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
Joe
Pro Starter

Which team is more deserving of a BCS bid?

Teams A, B and C all have identical 9-2 records.

Team A beat #13 and #15 in the BCS. They lost to #4 and #24.

Team B beat #19 and #22 in the BCS. They lost to #2 and #3.

Team C beat #19 in the BCS. They lost to #1 and their other loss was to a team that finished the regular season 5-6

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Team B.

I'm guessing C is Notre Dame?

Last edited by gstelmack : 11-28-2005 at 03:07 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I need a diagram.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Joe
Pro Starter

yup
Old 11-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Too little information. How much were the wins and losses by?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

B is Ohio State, C is Notre Dame.

I'm guessing A is Miami?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

B is for Buckeyes. A is for ... hmmm ... Miami?
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, when Notre Dame lost to Michigan State they weren't playing like they were 5-6. In fact, at that time they were a very highly ranked team and playing very much like it.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

Can anyone spot the touchy ND fan here?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

whichever team will genereate the most interest in the game.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #11
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

How about O for Oregon? 10-1
Old 11-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #12
Joe
Pro Starter

A is for Auburn
Old 11-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #13
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Can anyone spot the touchy ND fan here?

I sure can't
Old 11-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

Unfortunately for Auburn, there's no way in hell they get an at large BCS bid. However, if the BCS ends up taking Oregon and ND as at-larges, then you have an attractive BCS undercard in the Capital One Bowl with Ohio St. - Auburn.

We need a playoff. Probably not for this season, but for the previous 4 seasons and the 4 ahead where the top few teams are barely differentiable.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #15
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Which one brings in the biggest TV audience and ensures a sell-out?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #16
st.cronin
General Manager

Notre Dame posted a winning record; honestly, they should really be in the championship game.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:19 PM   #17
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Notre Dame posted a winning record; honestly, they should be awarded the national championship.
Fixed.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:20 PM   #18
scooper
College Benchwarmer

College football isn't played in a vaccum. Comparisons are hard to make. Under the BCS rules signed by all of the conferences, ND has qualified. You know darned well that money talks and the Irish will get in. Heck, they will finish in the top 8, how are they not deserving?

If any BCS conference teams get left out, maybe they should look at the guaranteed conference champion spots. How is it fair that a team gets hot at the right time but may not be one of the top eight teams in the country?

Is ND deserving? Based on the criteria drafted by your conferences, yes. Is Ohio State deserving? Definately. Oregon? Absolutely. I think Auburn is as well. But there are only two at large spots. And the bowls that put up the money get to pick them. That's the bottom line.

If you want a perfect college football world, get a playoff. Otherwise, the conferences are stuck with what they signed off on. ND's going to the Fiesta Bowl. Deal with it.

And no, I'm not touchy. It is what it is. These are bowl games, not a playoff.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #19
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Fixed.

No, that would be Alabama. If Notre Dame counted titles the way they do, they'd have over 20.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #20
heybrad
Norm!!!

Deserve has got nothing to do with it.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #21
KWhit
Coordinator

Bowl games are silly exhibitions anyway.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:28 PM   #22
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Bowl games are silly exhibitions anyway.

In reality, yes. Only one game matters to the final rankings.

If you're not #1, does finishing fifth rather than 7th really matter?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #23
Huckleberry
College Starter

Too bad it's not next year. Then Oregon, Ohio State, and Notre Dame would all be in the BCS. And the argument would be between Auburn and Miami for the last at-large bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper

Yes, but only in a self-fulfilling way. Athletic departments will hype themselves based on number of Top 5 finishes, etc.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:32 PM   #24
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Yes. Not all teams have the luxury of jumping up through the rankings if they win two games like Notre Dame does. If VT wins out, due to the way the pollsters like to work, we'll likely start in the top 5 next season...if we lose our bowl game, they we may not be in the top 10. That's a huge difference if you hope to be a national championship contender...just ask Auburn.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #25
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
In reality, yes. Only one game matters to the final rankings.

Nope. Which is why the bowl game is the least interesting game of the year to me. I'd rather watch UGA play Kentucky than watch them in the bowl game.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:36 PM   #26
Joe
Pro Starter

it matters BIG TIME, for what VPI already said
Old 11-28-2005, 03:38 PM   #27
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
it matters BIG TIME, for what VPI already said

Which is just dumb. I'm not saying it's incorrect, just dumb.

A team's performance last year shouldn't affect their chances at a title this year.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #28
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

As a couple people mentioned, who is deserving of the game is irrelevant. It's why I hate the bowl system. It rewards teams for having alumni support instead of how well they play on the field. Take ND for example. The teams they have beaten that have a winning record are: Michigan (7-4), BYU (6-5), and Navy (6-4). That's a non-BCS resume. I understand that they have to play the teams that are on their schedule, but they also have two losses! The truth is, their place in the polls is due to luck. They played teams early in the season that the pollsters thought would be good (Pitt, Michigan, Purdue, MSU) that turned out to be turds.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #29
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Which is just dumb. I'm not saying it's incorrect, just dumb.

No dispute from me on that count.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:46 PM   #30
Huckleberry
College Starter

Auburn is frequently brought up regarding preseason impact on championship résumés. Now they may not have been able to pass OU or USC regardless, but the fact is they weren't undone by preseason polls as much as everyone wants to think.

They were a unanimous #3 in the computers. The computers don't care about last season. Auburn was closer to #1 in the human polls than they were to #2 in the computer polls.

Their non-conference schedule was Louisiana-Monroe, The Citadel, and Louisiana Tech. Creampuff.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:46 PM   #31
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Take ND for example. The teams they have beaten that have a winning record are: Michigan (7-4), BYU (6-5), and Navy (6-4). That's a non-BCS resume. I understand that they have to play the teams that are on their schedule, but they also have two losses! The truth is, their place in the polls is due to luck. They played teams early in the season that the pollsters thought would be good (Pitt, Michigan, Purdue, MSU) that turned out to be turds.
There's more justification for ND's ranking than that, though -- after all, the Sagarin composite has the Irish 6th, and that's completely unbiased (in the sense of not knowing a priori who ND is). Of course, that's partly driven by the Irish losing two games by a combined four points, but even the mov-independent component has ND 10th.

You can whine about ND's schedule if you want, but in comparison with Oregon (31st), Miami (33rd), or Auburn (66th), at 20th according to Sagarin it looks pretty damn good.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 11-28-2005 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Insert quote to which I was replying
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:58 PM   #32
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
but the fact is they weren't undone by preseason polls as much as everyone wants to think.
Sure...if Auburn was higher in the pre-season polls but still behind USC and Oklahoma, they would have likely finished the same way as they did. But you can't dispute a scenario that says that if you shuffle around the pre-season rankings and put Auburn higher than USC & Oklahoma, then the odds are great that Auburn would have played in the Orange Bowl. And since I don't think anyone disputes the notion that final rankings influence pre-season rankings, then bowl game results definitely matter.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #33
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
There's more justification for ND's ranking than that, though -- after all, the Sagarin composite has the Irish 6th, and that's completely unbiased (in the sense of not knowing a priori who ND is). Of course, that's partly driven by the Irish losing two games by a combined four points, but even the mov-independent component has ND 10th.
ND averages 10th in the computer polls. OSU 4th, Oregon 6th, Miami 8th. So, the 'completely unbiased' (your words) ratings say that ND is not worthy of a BCS on merit alone.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #34
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

It may be that Auburn would have played in the Orange Bowl; if that occurred, those of us who follow the mathematical rankings would be talking about how either USC or Oklahoma (whichever one got left out) got screwed. I don't really see where concluding that the polls did the right thing for the wrong reasons gets us.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 11-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #35
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
ND averages 10th in the computer polls. OSU 4th, Oregon 6th, Miami 8th. So, the 'completely unbiased' (your words) ratings say that ND is not worthy of a BCS on merit alone.
I was discussing ND's poll standing, not their BCS merit. Also, I happen to think that there is greater merit in computer rankings that take mov into account (as long as they do so reasonably), and I think it's fair to discuss such when considering the bowl-worthiness of the Irish.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #36
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
It may be that Auburn would have played in the Orange Bowl; if that occurred, those of us who follow the mathematical rankings would be talking about how either USC or Oklahoma (whichever one got left out) got screwed. I don't really see where concluding that the polls did the right thing for the wrong reasons gets us.
I have no idea what you're trying to say. I thought the discussion was whether bowl results matter or not...and as long as they influence pre-season rankings, then I would say that they do.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #37
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Yes. Not all teams have the luxury of jumping up through the rankings if they win two games like Notre Dame does. If VT wins out, due to the way the pollsters like to work, we'll likely start in the top 5 next season...if we lose our bowl game, they we may not be in the top 10. That's a huge difference if you hope to be a national championship contender...just ask Auburn.

Let's not forget, ND's first two wins were against ranked teams. The fact that they were not as good as hyped is not ND's fault.

ND played a schedule that looked to be brutal at the start of the season. Let's not forget that at the time they lost to MSU, MSU had only lost one game. Let's also not forget that the game went to overtime after ND came back from 10 points down to tie it up in the last 6 minutes. Let's also not forget that USC should have been called for a penalty on the final play of the game that saw them get their TD to win the game.

Additionally, let's not forget that the conference commissioners and presidents all agreed to the current system so they could keep their money in the big conferences. Let's not forget that they only opened the game up to the "non-BCS" conferences under threat of litigation under which they buckled because they knew if it went to court they would lose.

So quit hating the Irish because of the bowl system the other 56 or so teams that make up the power conferences created is coming back to bite them in the ass.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:52 PM   #38
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Let's not forget what the BCS is for, to pit 1 vs. 2. All the other teams need to do is win their conference championship or finish in the top 12. The Irish are finishing in the top 12, so according to the BCS itself, they are worthy of the bid.

Let me ask this, was the 1983 NC State basketball team unworthy because they had 10 losses? No, because they won the championship according to the rules for the sport. Were they a better team than Houston? No, but they were on the day that it mattered.

Last edited by Warhammer : 11-28-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #39
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
Let's not forget what the BCS is for, to pit 1 vs. 2. All the other teams need to do is win their conference championship or finish in the top 12. The Irish are finishing in the top 12, so according to the BCS itself, they are worthy of the bid.

Let me ask this, was the 1983 NC State basketball team unworthy because they had 10 losses? No, because they won the championship according to the rules for the sport. Were they a better team than Houston? No, but they were on the day that it mattered.
The question is who is more deserving.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:57 PM   #40
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Let's not forget, ND's first two wins were against ranked teams. The fact that they were not as good as hyped is not ND's fault.

ND played a schedule that looked to be brutal at the start of the season.
That is the whole point, they got their high poll position because of the hype of the teams they beat. Their schedule did look brutal, and their first two wins looked really good. Turns out, their schedule was average and the teams they beat were below average. Only the initial impressions get taken into account with the polling though, not reality.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #41
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

According to the bowl committees, it looks like ND is. After all, the bowls are big evil corporations out to make a few bucks!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:00 PM   #42
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
That is the whole point, they got their high poll position because of the hype of the teams they beat. Their schedule did look brutal, and their first two wins looked really good. Turns out, their schedule was average and the teams they beat were below average. Only the initial impressions get taken into account with the polling though, not reality.

But, their SOS is pretty good compared to the other teams up for the spot. Personally, I agree with the sentiment that things should never come to this, but that is the system.

For everyone who says that the NCAA football schedule is one big playoff, this is an example of how it isn't. If it was, there would be a clear cut team that deserves to go.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #43
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
In an ideal world, yes. But college football is not an ideal world.

You can't blame the bowls or Notre Dame for this. Blame the six BCS conferences who conspired to lockup the championship game for themselves by locking out the other conferences and then bent over and let Notre Dame walk all over them in establishing criteria for how the Irish qualify for the BCS. Then you can also blame the public who will post higher TV ratings for Notre Dame in a bowl game than any almost any other school you could get.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #44
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think people lose sight of what the BCS was created for. It isn't an alternative to a tournament, but it definitely is better than what we had 10-15 years ago. Where your undeafeated teams might have been from the big 8 and the pac 10 and instead of playing each other they played in seperate bowls. And if you want to talk about the little guys, at least they have some say in this current system. Not a chance in hell that any smaller school is playing in a New Year's Day bowl before the revamped BCS.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #45
Joe
Pro Starter

why is it that Notre Dame fans are so quick to point out that ND lost the USC game in the final moments, and yet forget to mention that they barely won the Stanford game in the final moments?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #46
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'll gladly say that is what happened. However, the Irish did not have to resort to a penalty to score the winning points a la Reggie Bush pushing Lienart in.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:22 PM   #47
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Get off the thing about Bush pushing Leinart in -- that penalty is almost never called under any circumstances.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:05 PM   #48
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
I'll gladly say that is what happened. However, the Irish did not have to resort to a penalty to score the winning points a la Reggie Bush pushing Lienart in.

Only if you don't consider blatant holding and offensive PI penalties.

(The offensive PI not being on Stovall's last catch but moreso on about 3 different long passes on the evening)

Old 11-28-2005, 11:44 PM   #49
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
In an ideal world, yes. But college football is not an ideal world.
GWB's question is who is more deserving.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:47 PM   #50
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
GWB's question is who is more deserving.

The question is flawed.

How about this question? Which college football team from New Jersey is most deserving of a BCS bid?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote