Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2003, 09:03 PM   #1
wbonnell
College Prospect

Gothic

Okay, I posed this question in the RPG thread, but I didn't get any responses. So, here it is again:

Why should I invest the next 1-2 months of my gaming time playing Gothic (5 nights a week at 2 hours per night == 40 hours of playing time per month)? According to gamerankings.com, the game is merely above average. With so many A+ titles- including other RPGs- is Gothic that good? What are these game reviewers overlooking?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/5034.asp

"Big 3":

PC Gamer: 75 out of 100
Computer Gaming World: 3.5 out of 5
Computer Games Magazine: 4 out of 5

wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I think one of the things you can do is to check out that long thread at the old FOFC where Shorty asked about RPG and then got into Gothic. In that thread, you will see how the game is played and how Shorty quickly got hooked on it. Being a strategy game player (as oppose to a hardcore RPGer), Gothic was (and still is) perfect for me. Fwiw, Gothic II, with a bigger world and improved interface will be arriving here next month.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I haven't played the game but from what I've read of it, Gothic just doesn't sound like a game that would review well. [If that makes any sense.] It sounds a lot like a game that people either love or hate, no middle ground.

From what I've read here and on Gone Gold . . . if you like games where you have some freedom wander around and figure things out and you don't mind putting an effort into living with the interface until you are used to it, it might be worth your time.

Here are two threads from GoneGold with some opinions,
1 and 2.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote