Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What the hell are you listening to...2011 Edition

2010 Edition
2009 Edition
2008 Edition
2007 Edition
2006 Edition

Well it's another year. Here is Stereogum's list of most anticipated albums of 2011. Naturally lots will get pushed back and so forth, but...it'll be interesting to see how this year flops out musically after what I think was a pretty strong 2010.

Here's metacritic's release calendar which is more encompassing.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-09-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I recognize such a small amount of those artist. I think just about all of the artist I look forward to put out an album last year so the only thing I can think of is The Civil Wars album hitting Feb. 1st.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Drake
assmaster

Tenth Avenue North - The Light Meets the Dark

(Technically released in May 2010, but since I didn't hear them until Xmas and didn't start listening to the CD until after January 1, it counts for me. )

A nice Jars of Clay vibe here.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm really surprised that Destroyer's #12 on that list. Bejar is one of my favorite musicians around today, but I didn't realize he was that popular. Glad to know a new albums coming.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

#1 on my most anticipated list is Storm Corrosion, the long-awaited collaboration between Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt and Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson. Cannot wait for this.

I'm not really sure what else is coming out that I would like.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Currently, the things I listen to are:

Kanye West "My Dark Twisted Fantasy" - I'm not a big rap fan. This is by far the most cohesive album that I've listened to of Kanye's. It's like a rock album actually and there are layers upon layers here. You can listen to a song and get something further out of it. Now I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, I consider Kanye "emo-rap", but songs like "Power" (cheerleading rhythms, King Crimson), "All of the Lights" (Sounds like an update to Rocky's "Gonna Fly Now") and Runaway (getting crazy with the vocoder, to a point where the lyrics are just an ooze of emotion). There are some filler bits and some of the direction does get lost, which I think coming from someone as emotional as Kanye is to be expected...sometimes he just doesn't have the words to come across.

Grinderman "Grinderman II" - Other end of the spectrum, bluesy, rock, and somewhat unpolished. Nick Cave knows exactly what he wants. Songs like "Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man" are just experiences of loud and emotion but in one solid direction. "Wormtamer" is just as uncoy as it sounds. Unlike Kanye, Nick Cave enjoys a sense of humor about things even when he's in a mocking mood. No real ballads here, or I'm so sorry about me songs..."Palace of Montezuma" though is one of his best low key songs.

Bob Dylan - Rolling Thunder Review 1975 - Not as career defining as the Royal Albert Hall bootleg, but it's a more countrified/electric folk ride. I really like "Isis".

Miles Davis - Round Midnight
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Jobim - Best Of

Jazz is beginning to re-enter my collection. Not so much that I want to be cultured, as much as I want something of an alternate to today's sounds.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

Can't wait for the Tennis album to come out. The 3 songs I heard are so catchy, I want to hear what else they have.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Can't wait for the Tennis album to come out. The 3 songs I heard are so catchy, I want to hear what else they have.

Same here.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Looking forward to Tennis, Deerhoof, and Drive-By Truckers on that list.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kanye West + Jay-Z: HAM

Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

I'm not the biggest hip-hop, R&B, whatever-genre-this-counts-as listener, but I frickin' love this song.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:34 AM   #12
chadritt
High School Varsity

Girl Talk - All Day. Its an hour long "song" of Mashups. Starts with War Machine being mixed with Ludacris and a little Jay Z. Cant get it out of my head
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Girl Talk - All Day. Its an hour long "song" of Mashups. Starts with War Machine being mixed with Ludacris and a little Jay Z. Cant get it out of my head

Mashup Breakdown - Girl Talk - All Day

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm with you on this. Probably listened to the entire thing seven or eight times now.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

that's awesome
Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Kanye West "My Dark Twisted Fantasy" - I'm not a big rap fan. This is by far the most cohesive album that I've listened to of Kanye's. It's like a rock album actually and there are layers upon layers here. You can listen to a song and get something further out of it. Now I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, I consider Kanye "emo-rap", but songs like "Power" (cheerleading rhythms, King Crimson), "All of the Lights" (Sounds like an update to Rocky's "Gonna Fly Now") and Runaway (getting crazy with the vocoder, to a point where the lyrics are just an ooze of emotion). There are some filler bits and some of the direction does get lost, which I think coming from someone as emotional as Kanye is to be expected...sometimes he just doesn't have the words to come across.

I'm also not a big rap fan although Eminem's latest did get a lot of play in my car but my wife often has the TV on some video request channel and some of Kanye West's song have caught my ears. I loved his Stronger from a while back and I really like Power. Monster from the same album was used in a choreography of my wife's dance studio so I decided to give that album a shot and I'm glad I think. Likes most of the first 6 tracks on first hearing so thanks for the comment about it here.

Quote:

Had never heard about it, downloaded it over lunch and listened to maybe the first couple minutes and yeah, I'll want more. Will also want to share this with my wife. Thanks.

FM
Old 01-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

if you're new to Girl Talk, definitely check out Feed the Animals as well.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
if you're new to Girl Talk, definitely check out Feed the Animals as well.

yeah, new to the whole mashup world, and to Girl Talk specifically. I looked around on the Illegal Art website and was planning on picking up a few of the GT releases. Will look at this one, thanks for the recommendation. For some unknown reason, Night Ripper caught my eye.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 01-13-2011 at 01:48 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

don't know if you knew, but its on itunes for $8.

currently streaming on npr:
The Decemberists, Joe Lovano Us Five, Simone Dinnerstein, Smith Westerns and Gregg Allman

over at spinner:
Mew, British Sea Power, Cage the Elephant, Broken Records, Cake, Tapes n Tapes, Hang Glider, Empresarios, Madison, X-Ray Press, Clive Tanaka y su, and Abigail Washburn

over at aol music:
NERD, Californication soundtrack, Steel Magnolia, Die Krupps, Madison, Rebelution, Turkauz

over at hype machine:
Braids
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #20
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
yeah, new to the whole mashup world, and to Girl Talk specifically. I looked around on the Illegal Art website and was planning on picking up a few of the GT releases. Will look at this one, thanks for the recommendation. For some unknown reason, Night Ripper caught my eye.

FM

Night Ripper is the best of his 4 main albums.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #21
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
don't know if you knew, but its on itunes for $8.

I did not know it had already come out, thanks.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
whomario
Pro Starter

Have been listening to the Girl Talk album recently again as well, real good fun

really love the new decemberists album (First Listen: The Decemberists, 'The King Is Dead' : NPR. Was very curious what they´d do next after doing such an art-style concept album. Love to hear that it´s less (melo)dramatic than the previous effort. While i loved Hazards of Love i was sure i wouldn´t enjoy them go that route twice, seems i won´t have to worry about it

Also very much looking forward to the 2nd White Lies album called Ritual which is out in a few days.

Also looking forward to Death Cab, Foo Fighters, Lykke Li and Nick Cave.

Oh, and british girl and grammy winner Adele also will release her 2nd album, one of the songs (imo the best on it) from her debut :

Last edited by whomario : 01-13-2011 at 03:45 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I guess it technically came out in 2010, but the Tron: Legacy soundtrack is the only good part of that movie...and it's on sale at Amazon MP3 (in mp3 format) for $5. I bought it when it came out and really like it.

Amazon.com: Tron: Legacy (Amazon MP3 Exclusive Version) [+Digital Booklet]: Daft Punk: MP3 Downloads

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #24
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, that soundtrack was very good. Watched it on an iMax and the musical score still stood out.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #25
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

In the mashup genre, DJ Earworm's United State of Pop 2010 is cool
DJ Earworm - Music Mashups

FM
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #26
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I'm not the biggest hip-hop, R&B, whatever-genre-this-counts-as listener, but I frickin' love this song.
[removed youtube plugin]
Bruno Mars is soooooooo 2010...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
In the mashup genre, DJ Earworm's United State of Pop 2010 is cool
DJ Earworm - Music Mashups

FM

I find songs like this unnerving. Too much jumping around from track to track, it sounds like an extended commercial.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #28
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Speaking of 2010, I've been playing Armin van Buuren's A State of Trance: Year Mix 2010 quite a lot lately.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #29
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The new Tapes 'n Tapes Outside is good.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #30
Easy Mac

Currently streaming on NPR first listen:
Wanda Jackson, Gang of Four, Joyce DiDonato

spinner.com
The Decemberists, Social Distortion, Two Door Cinema Club, Klaxons, Tennis, Eulogies, Dolorean, Gregg Allman, Audio Bullys, Braids, Oh No Oh My, Seafarer, Triumph of Lethargy, Moon Hotel Lounge, David Gergen, Bryan Greenberg, Charles Bradley, Only Son

AOL Music:
The Script, Kidz Bop Kids, Gregg Allman, The Aquabats, Benjy Davis Project, The Memorials, Audio Bullys, Turkuaz, Bryan Greenberg, Scars on 45, Blackmore's Night, Stratovarius

hype machine:
Destroyer

Conan obrien's website:
Iron & Wine

Pitchfork has a list of others: http://pitchfork.com/news/41253-stre...ine-destroyer/
Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #31
Easy Mac

Streaming This Week:
Spinner.com
Iron & Wine, Deerhoof, The Get Up Kids, John Vanderslice, Cloud Nothings, Amanda Palmer, Fujiya & Miyagi, Say Hi, Bag Raiders, Only Son, Caroline, Ensemble, Charles Bradley, Funeral Party, papercranes, Lia Ices, Chikita Violenta, Exray's, I Was a King, My Disco, David Berkeley, Ultra Dance 12, U.S. Royalty, Dave Hause, The Ex, Gregg Allman

aol music:
Amos Lee, Talib Kweli, The Shadow Theory, Bag Raiders, Casey Spooner, Roger Miret and the Disasters, EkoTren, Astral Doors, David Berkeley, Telepath, The Bronx Casket Company, Attackhead, Cold Snap, Magnum, Junior Sanchez, Charles Bradley, The Very End, Tuck from Hell, Roach Gigz, Gregg Allman, Scars on 45.

NPR first listen:
Demdike Stare

hypem:
The Go! Team

The Guardian:
Hercules & Love Affair
Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #32
Passacaglia
Coordinator

ooh, Deerhoof and Hercules & Love Affair. Rock. I don't care if the song I nominated by them for the "suggest music to..." tournament bombed, I'm still excited.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #33
Easy Mac

Also, find the new Cut Copy streaming below on Grooveshark

flashvars="hostname=cowbell.grooveshark.com&playlistID=42829417&style=metal&p=0" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="window" />
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #34
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks for the heads-up, Easy Mac. Listening to the John Vanderslice album right now. I have his last 4 albums, and he has yet to disappoint in any of those. The orchestra in this one is a little different, but I am liking it.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #35
Ksyrup

http://
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #36
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Porcupine Tree's "The Incident"

I've also been on a King Crimson kick lately:

In the Court of the Crimson King
Red
In the Wake of Poseidon

Never realized how good they were, just amazing stuff.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

Just downloaded the new Get Up Kids album, although I haven't been able to listen to it yet.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dropkick Murphys has a new album coming out I am really looking forward to. Beeon occupying myself with their latest concert DVD in the meantime.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Interesting use of Modest Mouse. I think I like it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #40
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Not a hip hop guy, but that really is a good song. The section starting at 2:00 is pretty fucking good.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #41
Easy Mac

Streams for 1/30 (might be amended later)

NPR First Listen:
Earth, Telekenesis, Bright Eyes

Spinner.com
Bobby Long, The Civil Wars, David Lowery, Hotel for Laughing, John Shipe, Kotchy, MEN, Young the Giant, Tristen, The ACBs, Seefeel, The Insane Warrior

AOL Music:
Bobby Long, The Civil Wars, The Young International, Tiger Riot, Red, YANNI!!!

NPR is streaming the Wavves, Best Coast concert tonight: Live Tonight: Best Coast, Wavves In Concert : NPR

Also, Fleet Foxes have announced their new album for May 3, with the new single out now. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues by subpop on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 01-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #42
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I've been getting into Anarchy Club lately. Good heavy stuff if you're into that sort of thing. They remind me a bit of Type O Negative.

Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #43
Ksyrup

Never heard of them, but just from that song they remind me of an electronica version of Godsmack.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #44
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Never heard of them, but just from that song they remind me of an electronica version of Godsmack.

I actually first heard of them via Rock Band. They have three albums out so far. Other tracks that have found their way to my favorites list are:

Get Clean
Graveyard Stickshift
Collide
Blood Doll
Enemy Ace
Kill For You
Assassins
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #45
Easy Mac

You can now stream the new Cut Copy on their site, you have to login using twitter first.

CUT//COPY ZONOSCOPE
Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #46
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The new The Civil Wars album can be streamed. I'm getting it when I get back home from vacation.

Listen to New Releases and Free Music CDs - Spinner
Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #47
rowech
Pro Starter

A former student of mine is in a band that released their first mid-major album today. Band name is Vanity Theft. I have a feeling they might actually make it. It's not for everyone but I think it's kinda unique.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #48
Easy Mac

Lots of music streaming at 3voor12 (google it)

Andre Afram Asmar, Faust, James Wailbourne, Resoe, Jeans Wilder, Akron/Family, Isolee, Jonny, Seefeel, Amplifier, Diverse Artjesten, Johan Borger, Duke Garwood, The Go! Team, Talib Kweli, How to Dress Well, Gang of Four, Hercules & Love Affair, Charles Bradley, VENcE, Esben and the Witch, The Dirtbombs, Kaizers Orchestra, Kutmah, COlossa, Gaby Moreno, John Vanderslice, Ilanois, Novack, Amos Lee, Nobody Beats the Drum, Lia Ices, Thank You, The Phoenix Foundation, Robert Pollard, Sidi Toure & Friends, Me & Stupid, My Disco, Caroline, Cloud Nothings, Dissapears, Monotonix, Architects, Cold War Kids, Templo Diez, Family of the Year, Stranded Horse, I Was a King
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #49
Easy Mac

some more from 3voor12
James Blake, The Bony King of Nowhere, The Get Up Kids, Ben Ottewell, Milligram Retreat, Stranded Horse, Happy Camper, Ponderosa,
Old 02-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #50
Easy Mac

What I won't be listening to in 2011 or beyond, new records from The White Stripes and LCD Soundsystem, since both recently announced they're done. I can't believe how old I feel right now, that bands I love are breaking up.