Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
BattleGoat
n00b

Supreme Ruler 2020

Hello,

Some of the members here had shown interest in Supreme Ruler 2010 a while back so I thought they might like to know that we at BattleGoat are busy working on the sequel. We're also looking to share the news that we have signed with Paradox for our second release;

Quote:
Paradox Interactive announce Supreme addition to 2008 portfolio

(August 20, 2007) – Paradox Interactive revealed today that it has signed Supreme Ruler 2020 to their publishing portfolio of 2008. Developed by BattleGoat Studios, Supreme Ruler 2020 adds many new features, building on the success of the award winning Supreme Ruler 2010.

David Thompson, Lead Designer and Co Founder of BattleGoat Studios commented, "We're thrilled to be working with Paradox. Their reputation and their understanding of the Strategy Genre make them a perfect fit for our games." Some of the recently revealed content for Supreme Ruler 2020 includes the use of 3D for both Map Elements and Military Units, high resolution satellite imagery, numerous gameplay options like World 'Sandbox' mode and much more.

"BattleGoat has not made all details of this next installment public yet but once revealed we are sure that the strategy gaming community will agree with our assessment that this is one of the most exciting additions to the genre in a long time, said Fredrik Wester, Executive Vice President Paradox Interactive.

To coincide with this announcement, we've also released the first screenshot of how our new GUI is shaping up;

We expect to have more screenshots available over the next few months.

BattleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Interesting...thanks for posting.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
Barkeep49
Coordinator

This would belong better in the GD. I've been excited to see 2020 coming along as I really enjoyed 2010 for all its faults. It sounds like 2020 isn't as much about adding new features as making the ones they had previously work better, which I think is great.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
BattleGoat
n00b

Well, I wasn't entirely sure where I should post this, figured this was fine for now. I'm glad to hear that people are looking forward to the game. Perhaps we'll start a new thread in GD once there is a beta available. There will be much more worth discussing by then.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
STK
H.S. Freshman Team

2010 was a great game. I haven't done much research on the 2020 features. but I'm hoping that units will be easier to manage than the original.
STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Very nice.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
BattleGoat
n00b

Latest press release and screenshots;

Quote:
(February 1, 2008) Paradox Interactive and BattleGoat Studios are pleased to release new details on their upcoming Geo-political strategy game, Supreme Ruler 2020. One of the innovative new features is the wide-open "Super Sandbox" mode, which allows players to take control of nearly any country or region of the world.

Supreme Ruler 2020 will ship with three Super Sandbox maps:

--> "Modern World" is a map that mirrors the world of the near future. Play as the United States, military super-power and economic engine of the world, or play as an emerging African nation, or any one of over 180 independent regions.

--> "Shattered World" represents an alternate future where major nations have crumbled and smaller regions fight for power and influence. Play as an American state, a Canadian Province, or a sub-region of Europe, Russia, or China.

--> "Hot Spots" adds challenges in some of the world's most unstable regions - deal with situations in Kashmir, Palestine, Tibet, Kurdistan, Kosovo, Western China, and more.

Supreme Ruler 2020 features an economic and geo-political simulation of the real world unmatched in any other strategy game, and also features a tactical military model that allows players to plan and fight battles at the battalion level - zoom in to see an individual city or zoom out to see the entire world!

The 'no limits' design of Supreme Ruler 2020 allows players to battle it out for a small region of the world, or wage military campaigns against hundreds of regions across entire continents and oceans. Play one of the included missions or scenarios, or just play the world in Super Sandbox and watch the future unfold. Nearly unlimited options for customization and modding will also allow creation of new scenarios and 'what if' situations.

Supreme Ruler 2020 is scheduled for release in May 2008, to be published worldwide by Paradox Interactive.

About Supreme Ruler
The original Supreme Ruler was a text-based economic strategy game released in 1983. A new vision of a groundbreaking Economic, Political and Military Strategy game was realized with the release in May 2005 of Supreme Ruler 2010, which has received critical acclaim from gaming and strategy publications, and also received two nominations from the Canadian Awards for the Electronic and Animated Arts - winning in the Best PC Game strategy. The newest installment, Supreme Ruler 2020, is planned for May 2008.
Official Website: www.supremeruler.com

About Paradox Interactive
Paradox Interactive has been a leading publisher and developer of strategy games for the PC platform since 1999. Well-known worldwide for their strategy titles, their steadily growing publishing portfolio includes in-house developed titles such as critically acclaimed franchises Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron; as well as third party titles that include Rush for Berlin in North America, Galactic Civilizations II in Europe and the worldwide release of Combat Mission: Shock Force. The latest release from their experienced development team, Europa Universalis III, has won numerous awards worldwide.
Official Website: www.paradoxplaza.com

About BattleGoat Studios
BattleGoat Studios is a Canadian Software Developer committed to developing leading edge "Intelligent Strategy Games" for the PC. BattleGoat's game design history dates back to 1982 and the design team firmly believes that Strategy Gamers are looking for more sophisticated games that also remain fun to play. BattleGoat insists that their approach to development will always emphasize an accurate, heavily researched environment assuring players an entertaining and immersive gameplay experience.
Official Website: www.battlegoat.com

For More Information: [email protected]
Box and Logo Art: www.battlegoat.com/files/Box-Logo-2020.zip
Wallpapers: www.battlegoat.com/files/Wallpapers.zip
Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Super sandbox sounds like my kind of game, pretty cool. I like the any country/region option because being the underdog is just plain fun in any game for me. Sri Lanka shall rule all one day...
Old 02-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Despite its flaws I really enjoyed the first one and will likely pick this one up if it's similarly, or better, recieved. The supersand box modes are exactly the sort of thing I enjoyed with the first game and am glad that's the direction they took this one in.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Developer's Diary:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/sup...2020devdiary2/
Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
BattleGoat
n00b

Supreme Ruler 2020 Gone Gold

Press Release From Paradox yesterday;

Quote:
New York, USA (May 26, 2008) Globally renowned publisher Paradox Interactive is delighted to announce, that the highly anticipated Supreme Ruler 2020 has gone Gold.

Developers BattleGoat Studios has produced an engaging geopolitical wargame set in a future full of global turmoil. Numerous improvements help surpass the original, to provide a game full of complexity and deeply engaging strategy.

"We've created a strategy game with unmatched scope and depth. We set our sights high - play the whole world, all at once, without limits on the numbers of units, facilities, or other elements. Zoom in to examine a single city, or zoom out to see the whole world. Trade, ally or battle with hundreds of real-world countries. It's all in there", says George Geczy, Lead Programmer and Co Founder of BattleGoat Studios.

In the year 2020, the world is fracturing along economic and political fault lines. War is commonplace. Borders shift on a daily basis, as rival militaries duel over dwindling resources. Your nation seeks a leader to rise above the chaos. The region needs a warrior, to wield an iron fist and smash aside the forces of anarchy. Our world demands a strong ruler, to restore order and return stability to a terrified population.

Can you become the Supreme Ruler?

Key features in Supreme Ruler 2020:

- Control any department within your government or delegate decisions to your Cabinet Ministers
- Sophisticated Military Strategic and Tactical Command System
- Select from hundreds of actual military vehicles to research, build, and deploy
- Choose conventional warfare or develop your nuclear weapons program
- Detailed Economic and Political Models
- Flexible Diplomatic Interface allowing sophisticated negotiations
- Play any one of over 250 Regions world-wide
- High Resolution Satellite imagery provided courtesy of NASA
- Single Player or Multi Player support
- Varied Game-play options include Regional Battles, Missions and Campaigns
- Next Generation AI
- Introducing BattleGoat's new Super Sandbox Mode for unlimited customization and replayability

We are currently aiming for a demo to be available by mid-June, just in time for the release date. I'll add a link when the demo is available.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Is this somewhat like a modern-era Europa Universalis? I've never playes SR2010, so I'm just curious what I'd be getting into if I took this game for a spin.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Somewhat like a modern-era EU is about right. It is far more ambitious than EU, in terms of the mapping of the world down to relatively small hexes and in terms of what it tries to do with cabinets and diplomacy.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
BattleGoat
n00b

well, if you'd like to check it out, the demo is now available;

Download Links; GamersHell - AtomicGamer - GameSpot - WorthPlaying - FilePlanet - FileFront

The demo is time limited but you have two scenarios to play around with to get a feel for how the game functions. Check it out and let us know what you think.

(Congrats on the server change!)

[Edit - pulled spawnpoint, they were linked to the SR2010 demo ]

Last edited by BattleGoat : 06-11-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
Groundhog
Coordinator

Somehow I missed this the first couple of times around. Definately going to give this a shot.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I think I'm going to download this as well. Sounds interesting.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #17
STK
H.S. Freshman Team

I will be picking this up tomorrow for sure. I hope unit management is less tedious this time around.
STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I think I'm going to download this as well. Sounds interesting.

+1
Old 07-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
BattleGoat
n00b

For those who have picked up the game, update 2 (ver 5.2.1) is now available if you use your "check for updates" link in the start menu program group.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So those of you who decided to guinea pig this for us, what do you think?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:04 AM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So those of you who decided to guinea pig this for us, what do you think?

bump, i messed around in the demo and felt quite overwhelmed, but really intrigued. i've gone back and forth on this a few times but haven't bought it quite yet. Any impressions from people here?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #22
Flasch186
Coordinator

PCGAMER killed it in their reviews FWIW

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-19-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #23
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I really played the snot out of the first one and have tried getting into the demo a couple of times without success. I'm not sure why as improved AI is what ultimiately stopped me from playing even more and that seem to be improved in this version from what I've read.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
Calis
College Starter

I played the demo for a while, and while I found the idea to be really interesting and some of the political stuff to be fun, the military aspect seemed incredibly clunky to me. It was extremely difficult to tell what was going on, and just felt off.

If that was done a little better I'd probably pick it up.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #25
Zelig
Mascot

I think I am going to buy this because I support the vision for this type of game, and I think from an overall perspective they are on the right track. I hope they continue to improve it.
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #26
headtrauma
H.S. Freshman Team

So has anyone played this? The reviews I've seen have been mixed.
headtrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #27
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I played the first one a lot, got fed up with the problems. Tried to get back into through the demo never did. Got it cheap from Gamer's Gate a while back and it's just sat on my HD, unplayed, ever since. Hopefully inspiration will strike and I'll go through the slog of relearning the game.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #28
Radii
Head Coach

I gave the demo a shot and was totally overwhelmed. After reading a couple highly negative reviews I was convinced that the game had enough flaws that it wouldn't be worth it to take on the steep learning curve. The concept is incredible and I want to play a game like this, but unless a number of guys here had put up some incredible reviews that got my interest up, it looks like I've passed.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #29
BattleGoat
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtrauma View Post
So has anyone played this? The reviews I've seen have been mixed.

Have you tried the demo? While it obviously can't give you the long term feel for the game, it is full featured and can give you a chance to see basically what you will and won't be able to do. I think the average of the reviews listed on our site (no other site seems to have all of them listed) works out to around a 7/10. And obviously we knew from the start that the game would not please everyone, our hope is to make sure users get their 40 bucks worth. I've seen some users' savegames where it is 60+ years in and that must be more than 90+ hours of gameplay, certainly a good return on investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I played the first one a lot, got fed up with the problems...
That's a bit of a vague statement, what do you mean by problems? After 6 updates with new features and new content I think the first one is still a darn good product. For SR2020, did you try any of the scenarios? The latest update (5.3.2) added a new African scenario with some interesting tactical possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I gave the demo a shot and was totally overwhelmed...
Any further comments on this? Did you try all the scenarios in the demo or was it one in particular that turned you off the game?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #30
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGoat View Post

That's a bit of a vague statement, what do you mean by problems? After 6 updates with new features and new content I think the first one is still a darn good product. For SR2020, did you try any of the scenarios? The latest update (5.3.2) added a new African scenario with some interesting tactical possibilities.

I agree. The first one is a damn good product. It shouldn't be lost that I played that game extensively. The first game was so good that even after trying to play the demo, and not really enjoying it, I still bought the game. I think the concept is brilliant and even love the attention devoted to creating the universe that's been created. My two big issues with the first game was the AI: I couldn't trust it to do things intelligently for me, and that same lack of intelligence hindered their ability to offer me a great challenge. I always found that the first 12-18 months were difficult and challenging for me as I tried to move the country in the right direction, but after that it tended to be a bit of a cakewalk. And the second information was the interface was not conducive to what needed to happen. Compared to Hearts of Iron, I felt that SR made it hard for me to prioritize what was important and relegate less important information to the background.

As for the sequel, I've only played the demo at this time for 2020. And that is only scenarios. And despite having played a lot of the first game I was going to have to relearn how to play significant parts of the game. And since the game felt similar I haven't been able to work up the motivation to play it. So the fault is with me and not the game.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #31
Galaril
Pro Starter

Anymore reviews from folks here? I am thinking of getting this after a respect war gamer "expert" Jim Cobb gave this a fairly postive review over at wargamers.com.

Supreme Ruler 2020 - PC Game Review
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #32
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Anymore reviews from folks here? I am thinking of getting this after a respect war gamer "expert" Jim Cobb gave this a fairly postive review over at wargamers.com.

Supreme Ruler 2020 - PC Game Review

I have enjoyed it,
Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #33
BattleGoat
n00b

I hope no one minds my reviving an old thread, I figured it would be better to keep the information in one place than start a new thread.

Since some members of this community are familiar with the Supreme Ruler series I though there might be some interest in our latest press release regarding Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold Edition.

SR2020: Gold Edition is scheduled for release on September 15th in North America, and September 18th in Europe. It will be available both Retail and Digital Download.

Here is the Features blurb:

All the features of Supreme Ruler 2020 and Global Crisis, plus
- Four New Single Player scenarios (objective based)
- New Multi-player scenarios (for shorter and more balanced MP games)
- Enhancements to the AI, including more diplomacy and trades
- A number of Interface and Graphics Improvements
- New Units and 3D Models in Equipment list
- Updated Manual
- Improved multiplayer connectivity and firewall compatibility
- Games for Windows support including Windowed Mode, Streamlined Install, and more.

New Game Engine Features in Supreme Ruler 2020: Gold Edition:

- AI Diplomacy includes trading of Units, also expanded commodity trades
- New Minister capabilities & Priorities
- Spy system improvements, added capturing of spies
- User Interface enhancements (more tooltips, shortcuts, new options)
- 'Maximize Offer' feature added to Diplomacy negotiations
- Battle Sounds now fade for off-screen and third party battles
- New Game Lobby options including "Units eliminated when region falls"
- More Graphics resolutions supported, including Windowed Mode

As well as hundreds of smaller changes, improvements, fixes, and more.

Also, we will not leave our existing fans behind, and there will be no need for existing SR2020+Global Crisis owners to 'repurchase' the game. We are working to bring the new features of the Gold Edition to our existing SR2020+Global Crisis players as part of the free Update 6. This Update is planned for the end of September, and more information will be released in the coming weeks.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #34
BattleGoat
n00b

As part of putting together the Gold version, we have also redone the demo since the game has changed so much since the demo for SR2020 was originally released.

Direct link to the demo download:
http://demos.gamersgate.com/SR2020-GoldEdition-DEMO.exe

Digital Download GamersGate site:
GamersGate - Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold - Buy and download games for PC now

Digital Download GamersGate UK Site:

If you're curious to see how much as changed, just load up the demo and take a look.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #35
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
As part of putting together the Gold version, we have also redone the demo since the game has changed so much since the demo for SR2020 was originally released.

Direct link to the demo download:
http://demos.gamersgate.com/SR2020-GoldEdition-DEMO.exe

Digital Download GamersGate site:

Digital Download GamersGate UK Site:

If you're curious to see how much as changed, just load up the demo and take a look.

How does the the game do on vista 64?

Last edited by Galaril : 09-12-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #36
BattleGoat
n00b

Update 6 has now been added to the Check-for-Updates system for all versions of Supreme Ruler 2020.

Supreme Ruler 2020 (Original) - Version 5.6.2 - Use 'Check for Updates' from the Windows Program menu to update to the latest version, or download the update from here: http://www.bgforums.com/2020LatestUpdate

Supreme Ruler 2020 : Global Crisis Expansion - Version 6.6.2 - Use 'Check for Updates' from the Windows Program menu to update to the latest version, or download the update from here: http://www.bgforums.com/2020GCLatestUpdate

Supreme Ruler 2020 : Gold Edition - Incremental Update to Version 6.6.2 - New installations will download this small update automatically during install, or else use the 'Check for Updates' in the Windows Program menu. You can also download it from here: http://www.bgforums.com/2020GOLDLatestUpdate

Update 6 Notes:

Player Options: During the installation of Update 6 player options will be reset.

Savegames for Supreme Ruler 2020 and Global Crisis are now stored in the My Games folder of My Documents for a given user by default. This can be changed in-game using the My Options/Player Options/Files settings to specify a preferred save game location.

If you have updated from an earlier version and have Saved Game files stored, simply turn of the "Save in 'My Games' folder" checkbox in the Options.

Supreme Ruler 2020 and Global Crisis (all versions) Update Notes:
- Games for Windows compatibility
- Windowed mode now supported (Graphic options)
- Spies system reworked to create tension instead of wars.
- More spy related e-mails added
- Elastic banding improved (focus carriers with aircraft type situations)
- Satellite construction cost added to expense report
- Fixed ability to right click, pick Facilities, then select specific facilities.
- Military branch remembered when going from a reserve facility to reserves unit list in Defense Dept
- Improved AI commodity trading (including AI requests products/offers money, before did only reverse)
- Added ability to mark units as excluded/favorites
- Added rally point centre button
- Added ability to adjust ‘autodeploy’ and ‘continuous’ to units in the Queue and in Production
- Added more 3D Unit Meshes (6)
- Orer of Battle (unit list) Updates
- Uranium costs for units added to unit popup
- Right click - bombard/attack facility command fixed
- New Lobby Option - Units Die when Region Falls
- Ctrl + elastic band can be used to add more units to selected units
- Different Sound volume levels for on-screen and off-screen as well as other regions vs. own units
- Sounds fade when map zoomed out
- Fixed trade money for money exploit
- Fixed "unlimited missiles" exploit
- Fixed value for techs when negotiating treaties with the AI
- Fixed Naval Rally points
- Fixed various indirect fire issues (neutral/own waters, bombard, attack facility)
- Fixed AI valuing techs when negotiating treaties
- Fixed AI valuing naval unit designs
- Fixed Satellite costs in regional budget
- Fixed UN relations hit when an allied region dies
- Fixed order of units being added to production and queued lists
- Path line displays over world edges fixed
- Completed various minor GUI improvements
- Campaign maps updated

Incremental 6.6.2 Changes (all versions including Gold Edition):
- Fixed rare Fog-of-War off bug
- Build-to-Strength on Merged Units fixed
- Play on as Dictator available when losing an election

Global Crisis (expansion only) Update Notes:
- Enhanced Tooltip to show what's in a BattleGroup
- Added AI trading of units
- Maximize offer button added for Diplomacy Offers
- Facility controls added for "Facility Build" screens in various departments (activate/deactivate and build by type, minister chooses best location)
- Game Option to show War Declaration and Alliance messages about all regions
- State Department priorities added for Trading

Global Crisis Scenarios: There are four new custom scenarios and two new multiplayer scenarios.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #37
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
How does the the game do on vista 64?

So I guess this means the game DOES NOT work on 64 bit OS
Old 10-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #38
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
- Games for Windows compatibility

If they really mean this, then it should work on 64 bit windows.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #39
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
If they really mean this, then it should work on 64 bit windows.

Since IE doesn't really work on 64 bit Windows, I think the Microsoft certification process is not all that rigorous.

Last edited by Samdari : 10-01-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #40
BattleGoat
n00b

Quote:
So I guess this means the game DOES NOT work on 64 bit OS

Sorry, I missed your post. Works fine. Same for Win 7 32bit. Haven't tested Win7 64 but no reason why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Since IE doesn't really work on 64 bit Windows, I think the Microsoft certification process is not all that rigorous.
Well having gone through the rules for certification, I can tell you lots of GfW titles out there don't come close to following the rules, I have no idea how some games got their certification. Most annoying part was the rule that for Vista/Win7 the EXE must be in the Games Explorer and is not allowed in the Start menu Program group for the game.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #41
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post

I really want to understand this sentiment, since it's the second time I've seen it with no real stats to back it up. I use IE exclusively at home and at work and have not had any major issues that would make me say things like "doesn't really work".

But anyway, runs on 64-bit is supposed to be part of the GfW requirements. But the certification process is why I said "if they really mean this"...