Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

PS2 owners: MLB "The Show"

Yep, I did what I rarely do, this game is pre-ordered. It looks damn good and I plan to take a day or two off around March 1st.

http://media.sports.ign.com/articles...78/vids_1.html

Cards - Cubs baby!!

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

I'm lame posting to my own thread, but I've played so many 3 inning demo games that I feel like a kid waiting for this one to drop next week.

Was losing 7-0 after 3 after that damn White Sox lineup. Maybe the Astros know I don't like 'em.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I look forward to hearing your impressions of the full game, Todd.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I look forward to hearing your impressions of the full game, Todd.

Thanks, here's a video of someone playing the demo.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LuJWnds93...b%20the%20show

I'm not kidding when I say I might take Friday off next week. Work has been so busy and I need a good relaxing day of baseball.

The demo is on rookie mode and I have to say it plays very well. You can't adjust anything, it's just pick up and play.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
Coop
High School JV

I hope it's not as buggy as last seaons
Old 02-24-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

I got this game last year and likely will this year as well, although it did have some issues for me it was also quite fun.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
CraigSca
Pro Starter

How was it different from MVP 2005? Is it a niche game - e.g. does it try to be different and do other things well that MVP does not?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
FBPro
College Starter

Has mode similar to ITP where you create a player and try to reach the major leagues. I enjoyed this mode last year.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Has mode similar to ITP where you create a player and try to reach the major leagues. I enjoyed this mode last year.
Now you got me interested. I'm trying to resist to buy a console, but EA college games and some others are putting the things really hard to me. Btw, is there any way/hardware to plug a PS2 or XBOX in a TFT computer monitor instead of a TV?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
How was it different from MVP 2005? Is it a niche game - e.g. does it try to be different and do other things well that MVP does not?

Well, the play by play is THE BEST of any sports game, bar none.. and I mean that.

The game is the FULL baseball experience as far as playing a game goes. They had freezing issues as well as a few gameplay problems last year, and if the demo is any indication, either fixed or workable.

You can put the game on FAST mode, which basically cuts out the cuts scenes, etc.. but if you have time to really let the game play, the immersion is top knotch.

It has a deep franchise mode and new this year you can select to make roster moves (real life trades) for any team, if you choose that option at the beginning of your career.

If the annoying things are truly fixed (rocket arms from the outfield, strikezone too big, etc) this could be one heck of a game.

I loved MVP 2005, but it does not have the immersion MLB gives you.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Well, the play by play is THE BEST of any sports game, bar none.. and I mean that.

The game is the FULL baseball experience as far as playing a game goes. They had freezing issues as well as a few gameplay problems last year, and if the demo is any indication, either fixed or workable.

You can put the game on FAST mode, which basically cuts out the cuts scenes, etc.. but if you have time to really let the game play, the immersion is top knotch.

It has a deep franchise mode and new this year you can select to make roster moves (real life trades) for any team, if you choose that option at the beginning of your career.

If the annoying things are truly fixed (rocket arms from the outfield, strikezone too big, etc) this could be one heck of a game.

I loved MVP 2005, but it does not have the immersion MLB gives you.

Hmm, big praise from you. If I hear that the freezing problems and rocket arms are fixed, I'll probably pick this up. I love the College Baseball game (still playing 4-5 games/week and just about done my first season) but I know I'll still want a MLB game once the season starts.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, big praise from you. If I hear that the freezing problems and rocket arms are fixed, I'll probably pick this up. I love the College Baseball game (still playing 4-5 games/week and just about done my first season) but I know I'll still want a MLB game once the season starts.

I always get pegged for praising games, but with the freezing and non fixable issues, MVP took center stage last year. I loved MVP, but the presentation was bland - gameplay was great.

MLB had great presentation, commentary.. but gameplay had issues... not to mention some freezes that occured here and there.

Like most have said, fix the freezing, gameplay bugs, and BAM! this game could be what it should have been last year. Good thing is, they've added some things this year.

The demo is on rookie mode, and it plays very well out of the box so to speak. If this is what the full game will play like, I'm excited.

I'm getting it as soon as Gamestop calls and plan on playing the heck out of it, so I'll post impressions. I'm going to play on rookie, just like the demo, right out of the box to start.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Something interesting I read about MLB The Show:

Quote:
Another big addition to MLB 06 The Show is a feature called “Game Time Decisions”. With this, you will have to make decisions for the good of your franchise, and your place in the standings. Prior to a game, you might be notified that a player is in a slump, or is fatigued and needs a day off, or perhaps your starting pitcher has developed a blister. It is your choice whether you play these guys and risk further injury, or rest them, play it safe and possibly hurt your chances for a win that day.
I like the concept of this idea in a sports game. If done right, could really add some excitement in the playoffs.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
cougarfreak
College Starter

If they fixed the Manage only Mode, it would be the best graphical manage mode game I've seen.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak
If they fixed the Manage only Mode, it would be the best graphical manage mode game I've seen.

Wow. I'd love to play a good graphical manage mode.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #16
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Wow. I'd love to play a good graphical manage mode.

I'd suggest giving the game a rent then. Last year, you could pick where you wanted to pitch a guy before each pitch, several camera modes including one from the dugout. The bug that quashed the computer making subs killed it though. If that's fixed, and the rest was left alone, it'll be dynamite.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #17
gkb
High School Varsity

I'm really interested in hearing people's impressions of the full game once it's out. I'm looking for a good baseball game this year...I usually stay away, but for whatever reason I've got the urge to play the Rockies on franchise mode.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:59 PM   #18
FBPro
College Starter

Just went and pre-ordered this one today, I only get a couple of PS2 games a year and this is one of them.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:28 AM   #19
Philliesfan980
Banned

So, in summary, is this game worth $200? (Of course we won't know until its out) Because thats basically what it would come down to for me. I really don't have any qualms with paying $200 for countless hours of entertainment, but I'm hoping that it pays off.

Good stuff on the manage only mode, I didn't even know that it had that feature!
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #20
ice4277
Pro Rookie

This sounds interesting. Its probably been about 4 years since I purchased a baseball game and was thinking about doing it this year. I was considering EA's game, but I'm not really a big college baseball fan, and I'm not sure I'd get into it too much. If you guys enjoy this one, it will probably make the decision for me.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:56 AM   #21
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Is this from 989 sports? I've never, ever liked any 989 title. Whether it is or not, I look forward to Todd's review
how do you know?

Old 02-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is this from 989 sports? I've never, ever liked any 989 title. Whether it is or not, I look forward to Todd's review

Hey it's SCEA now.

One thing is for sure, I've never played a demo more than this one.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just went and pre-ordered this one today, I only get a couple of PS2 games a year and this is one of them.

Did you get the demo? If so, what do you think??
Old 02-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #24
cougarfreak
College Starter

For you manage only guys (like me), here's a description of what was in the game last year.

hxxp://forums.operationsports.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=157989&highlight=manage+mode
Old 02-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #25
Philliesfan980
Banned

Hmm, after looking at some of the greatest hits listing that are currently selling at 19.99 a pop, I might just pick up a PS2 now, hold off on the 360, and wait for the seemingly more promising PS3. Have they offically announced that the PS3 is going to be out in 07 now? Based on the lack of info, I don't see anyway that they get this out by christmas.

Question for those with the newer "slim" PS2's. Have the fixed the lasers in them? One of the biggest issues that I had with my old PS2 (got rid of it about 2 years ago), was that the laser in it went twice, and I'm not what you would consider a "heavy" gamer, but mainly a weekend guy. Also, I've heard of freeze up problems in some of the newer games (again, these could go hand in hand with laser issues), that require a little more disk access.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #26
Icy
Pro Starter

I'll wait also for your reviews, but this game could be the final push needed to buy a console. I have seen an online Spanish shop with the PS2 with the mod chips alredy installed at a good price. (I guess i would need the chip to play USA games as i doubt this kind of USA sports games are released for the European market).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

http://www.readyfortheshow.com/playe...ection/profile

"The Show" videos... nothing as far as game content, but funny nonetheless.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #28
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Hmm, after looking at some of the greatest hits listing that are currently selling at 19.99 a pop, I might just pick up a PS2 now, hold off on the 360, and wait for the seemingly more promising PS3. Have they offically announced that the PS3 is going to be out in 07 now? Based on the lack of info, I don't see anyway that they get this out by christmas.

Question for those with the newer "slim" PS2's. Have the fixed the lasers in them? One of the biggest issues that I had with my old PS2 (got rid of it about 2 years ago), was that the laser in it went twice, and I'm not what you would consider a "heavy" gamer, but mainly a weekend guy. Also, I've heard of freeze up problems in some of the newer games (again, these could go hand in hand with laser issues), that require a little more disk access.
It has been said that the newer slim PS2 does have some problems with both PSOne games and PS2, which I thought was kinda weird.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

25 pictures of the new Busch Stadium via MLB The Show!!

http://www.kmov.com/perl/common/slid...n=www.kmov.com

Video link:
http://www.kmov.com/perl/common/vide...227_rprps2.wmv

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-27-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Picked it up on the way home... I love it.

Rocket arms are gone, except for Rolen who can gun it like no other. Hit variety is better than MVP, imo. I've seen high choppers, bloop hits, rockets down the third base line, etc... unreal how much better it is this year.

Animations are really good and the commentary is just.. well MLB.

The only issue I see that merits mentioning is the hit through the infield that the fielder just stands there as it goes into the outfield. It happens almosts once a game for me so far and while it's not a gamebreaker by any means, it looks goofy in an otherwise great game animation wise.

Seriously, I'm playing on rookie with the CPU pitch speed set to max.. I know I suck, but I love the simplicity of "timing" hitting and on fast pitch speed, I still K sometimes. The CPU offense is great on rookie level and I almost think that part of the game does not change with the level, that is CPU gameplay AI.

All in all so far, it's a great game and everything that turned me off last year has been fixed. I'll post back after several more games, but so far it's been quite a fun game to play. Too many times in console sports games people compare stats to real life and all I really want is a fun game to play. Well, this game does that.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #31
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Todd

how the Walks on it compare to MVP?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #32
FBPro
College Starter

I got it as well but have yet to play it, maybe tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Todd

Walks have been fine for both me and the CPU. Mistake pitches are handled well, especially good hitters. The thing I like about rookie, is I don't strikeout 15 times. Yes, it's easier, but I like it so far with the pitch speed turned all the way up.

After a few more games, I'm really liking this year's game a lot. Just beat Boston 9-6, but it was one heck of a game. Mulder was shelled and my bullpen pulled through. I was losing 6-5 in the 7th when Edmonds got his only hit, a booming opposite field HR. I love the play of the game, reminds me of NFL 2k5 when they had the big plays of the game.

I'm going to start a franchise Friday when I have some good play time. It starts out in spring training, so that should give me some more games to brush up on.

It's weird, but even on rookie the CPU plays an intelligent game of baseball so far in my games played. They'll take chances, bunt, take pitches, etc...

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-01-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #34
FBPro
College Starter

I'm liking what I'm hearing about it so far.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #35
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

How would you compare the graphics to last year's MVP? The screenies and videos I've seen look pretty good but the reviews I've read are saying they are pretty plain considering the ps2 is in it's sixth year.

Does it animate the pitchers warming up in the bullpen? I loved that last year in MVP, looking out over the LF wall in Washington or in the corners of Dodger stadium etc. Really added to the immersion so I hope it's in The Show.

One thing that I liked that you said is the AI seems to play the same good game on each level. I've never understood why we should have to tweak what the AI can do. I mean it should be tested to death to hit, field, and pitch to realistic levels at default no matter what level you are on. I can understand having to tweak for a human as we all have different abilities ie reaction times, vision, etc. but not the AI.
So if your first impression holds up and this is true it is a nice breakthrough that I haven't seen any other game make.

Either way I'll probably break down tommorow and buy it to get my baseball fix until ootp 2006 comes out.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #36
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Todd

I think walks will always be an issue is games on the console. Frankly, people prefer the "fun" of hitting vs. the "fun" of taking a pitch. I'm not saying there should be no walks, but I think you'll always have less in a console game than in RL.
how do you know?

Old 03-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #37
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think walks will always be an issue is games on the console. Frankly, people prefer the "fun" of hitting vs. the "fun" of taking a pitch. I'm not saying there should be no walks, but I think you'll always have less in a console game than in RL.

A mode where high walk players start 2-0 or 3-1 would be a start. High strikeout guys start 0-1 or 1-2...
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #38
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
A mode where high walk players start 2-0 or 3-1 would be a start. High strikeout guys start 0-1 or 1-2...

Ah - I don't know why I never thought of that, but that's a really cool idea.
how do you know?

Old 03-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #39
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24

Ala.. 1 pitch mode.. ala High Heat.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
How would you compare the graphics to last year's MVP? The screenies and videos I've seen look pretty good but the reviews I've read are saying they are pretty plain considering the ps2 is in it's sixth year.

Does it animate the pitchers warming up in the bullpen? I loved that last year in MVP, looking out over the LF wall in Washington or in the corners of Dodger stadium etc. Really added to the immersion so I hope it's in The Show.

One thing that I liked that you said is the AI seems to play the same good game on each level. I've never understood why we should have to tweak what the AI can do. I mean it should be tested to death to hit, field, and pitch to realistic levels at default no matter what level you are on. I can understand having to tweak for a human as we all have different abilities ie reaction times, vision, etc. but not the AI.
So if your first impression holds up and this is true it is a nice breakthrough that I haven't seen any other game make.

Either way I'll probably break down tommorow and buy it to get my baseball fix until ootp 2006 comes out.

The graphics look like well, a ps2 game. I have it hooked up via s-video cables to a good TV, so it looks fine, imo... YMMV. I'll have to watch another Cardinals game to see if my relief pitchers show up warming up. I do know when you go to your bullpen the left side of the screen opens up and it shows them warming up when you pick a player, so it should show that on the screen while you're playing, I would assume.

I think it was like that last year in reference to the levels and challenge. Hey, if the CPU can score 6 runs on me on rookie, I'm cool with that. The big change as you go up levels is the way you hit the ball and guess the pitch. Veteran might be where I end up as having to move the L stick to swing will probably result in me striking out more, but for now rookie is fine for me.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #41
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I just picked this up today so I should be able to give this a shot this afternoon. I never played this one before and only played MVP 2005 last year so I'll be able to compare the two.

Judging from Todd, it sounds like you can hit homeruns (which only seemed to happen for me in MVP when I swung for the fence) and the CPU can score runs against you (which happened infrequently in MVP for me - Sidney Ponson was lights-out - ugh).
how do you know?

Old 03-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #42
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Okay, got my first game under my belt. About halfway through the game I began saying to myself, "this is fun!"

I'm playing on rookie mode (just because I hate having to guess pitches/location/etc) and I'm finding the CPU to be very competitive - my A's lost to the White Sox, 7-5.

Things I like:

It's a little easier to work the count in this game than in MVP. Of course, this is with normal pitch speed - which I think I may be upping a bit in the future.

The presentation is MUCH better than MVP. Much more commentary (and varied as well) and much more immersion. One thing I noticed in MVP is they never said the team names when giving the score every half inning - that's not a problem here.

I hit a few homeruns with just tapping the X button - no need to aim for the fences.

It's easy to make a mistake pitch, especially when the pitcher's pitching with runners on base. I love how it quickens the meter to reflect not being able to pitch from the full windup.

It seems that doubles will be much more natural in this game. In MVP, a number of times a gapper was still held to a single.

Things I don't like:

The animations aren't as smooth as MVP. Sometimes there's some odd footwork or a player resets from a throw or run too early. However, overall, the animations are great and this really doesn't detract from the game.

I still hit the ball up the middle for about 20 singles a game. I hate that. I think I will lower the amount of contact and perhaps up power just a little bit. I'm sick of (just like in MVP) hitting 3 singles per half inning without scoring any runs.

I think OF arms are a little too strong (again, like MVP). I will probably be knocking this down a notch.

Overall, the game is a lot of fun so far and definitely a step up from MVP. I'll have to see things like relief pitchers needing rest between games because that was a definite bug in last year's MVP. So far, I see no show-stopping bugs, but who knows what will be found in franchise mode with a number of games under your belt. Still, for pure fun factor, this is better than MVP.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 03-02-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #43
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, got my first game under my belt. About halfway through the game I began saying to myself, "this is fun!"

I'm playing on rookie mode (just because I hate having to guess pitches/location/etc) and I'm finding the CPU to be very competitive - my A's lost to the White Sox, 7-5.

Things I like:

It's a little easier to work the count in this game than in MVP. Of course, this is with normal pitch speed - which I think I may be upping a bit in the future.

The presentation is MUCH better than MVP. Much more commentary (and varied as well) and much more immersion. One thing I noticed in MVP is they never said the team names when giving the score every half inning - that's not a problem here.

I hit a few homeruns with just tapping the X button - no need to aim for the fences.

It's easy to make a mistake pitch, especially when the pitcher's pitching with runners on base. I love how it quickens the meter to reflect not being able to pitch from the full windup.

It seems that doubles will be much more natural in this game. In MVP, a number of times a gapper was still held to a single.

Things I don't like:

The animations aren't as smooth as MVP. Sometimes there's some odd footwork or a player resets from a throw or run too early. However, overall, the animations are great and this really doesn't detract from the game.

I still hit the ball up the middle for about 20 singles a game. I hate that. I think I will lower the amount of contact and perhaps up power just a little bit. I'm sick of (just like in MVP) hitting 3 singles per half inning without scoring any runs.

I think OF arms are a little too strong (again, like MVP). I will probably be knocking this down a notch.

Overall, the game is a lot of fun so far and definitely a step up from MVP. I'll have to see things like relief pitchers needing rest between games because that was a definite bug in last year's MVP. So far, I see no show-stopping bugs, but who knows what will be found in franchise mode with a number of games under your belt. Still, for pure fun factor, this is better than MVP.

Very nice post. I look forward to more impressions from you and Todd in the coming days (and anyone else who buys it and posts.)
Old 03-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #44
FBPro
College Starter

I've got a week off starting tomorrow and with the house all to myself I'll get into it then. Operation sports has a nice board w/ quite a few comments about the game already.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #45
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've got a week off starting tomorrow and with the house all to myself I'll get into it then. Operation sports has a nice board w/ quite a few comments about the game already.

Just have to read past the, "OMFG the A's light green and mustard yellow with white socks jersey is not in the game!!!"
Old 03-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #46
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not going to buy the game (been playing MVP college baseball and don't even have much time for that), but I saw a commercial last night, where two times a player hit a HR and immediately threw his hands up in celebration as if he just hit the game-winner in the World Series. Please tell me this doesn't happen everytime, and it was just the way they shot the commercial.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #47
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
I haven't really experienced any freezing problems at all since I got my slim PS2 awhile ago. I still play a ton of PS1 games on it from time to time too. Only thing was, the whole 'power adapter' recall thing that went on near the end of last year.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #48
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Went and bought the game this afternoon and so far have been impressed.
Played one quick exibition game and then started a season on veteran level.

My Cubs beat the Giants 4-1 gave up only 4 hits between Zambrano, J. Williams, Ohlman, S. Williams, and Dempster. I had 9 hits, Ramirez and Barret each banged one off the RF wall for doubles the rest singles. Also able to draw one walk. I had Pierre thrown out of the game for arguing a close call at first, not sure if there was any way for me to get between him and the ump. Also had the Giants LF flat out drop an easy flyball, poor guy just hung his head after he got the ball back in.

I like the pitching meter and the way the pitch target is where you start the pitch in the zone not where you want it to end up. Learning to throw sliders and low pitches takes some getting used to. It adds a lot of tention when there is a runner on third as it's very easy to throw it in the dirt or too wide for the catcher to get it.

Getting flyballs in the outfield can be an adventure and I mean that in a good way. Size of fielding icon is dependent on the fielders skill and getting close is not good enough you need to be right on the spot. Your player will lunge to the ball if you move the stick and make awdward catches if he's not positioned correctly. I had a couple of these catches they both looked awkward but realistic. One got a comment from the booth on how he struggled with that ball and was lucky to come up with it (parapharased as I don't recall the wording).

The batting is intuitive and easy to pick up and play. At least so far guessing right on pitch and location doesn't necessarily mean HR. I guessed right a couple of times when ahead in the count only to ground out. I suppose I'll improve and if it gets too easy moving up a level will hopefully take care of it.

I thing the graphics are quite good. Reviews I read talked about the faces not being good. I thought they were recognizable and in general were good and certainly nothing to complain about. The player animations, fields, and lighting were very good. The crowd is a little repetitive but IMHO is no big deal. The rest of the presentation is the best I've seen in any sports game.
The announcing is great from the booth and the stadium PA. In between innings you see TV like views ie the pitcher walking off and avoiding the foul lines. Then the screen goes black like leaving for a commercial and then comes back to the game. It's almost scary as I was thinking how easy it would be for the game to make more money by having sponsors actually place ads in the game between innings. Actually that is about the only thing missing that let's you know your not watching a game on TV.

Great game so far. Played with no slider tweaks and things seemed realistic to me. Hopefully this no slider tweaking continues and if it becomes easy simply moving up a level fixes it. Time will tell.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #49
hukarez
College Starter

Man, I thought this was going for $50, and didn't realize it's for $40.

I might pick up my first sports title on the PS2 pretty soon, if this is the case. However, having browsed a few other places for reviews and impressions, some folks have brought up the issue of an 'inning ending' double play issue?

Something along the lines of having some runners on base, with 1 out, and despite ending the inning on a double play, a score is counted? I know it sounds strange - it's hard to translate some of those people's posts on the GameFAQs board.

I'm presuming they mean to state that before the actual '2nd out' is issued, and the runner on base crosses the plate beforehand, it still counts the run, etc...etc. I'm not too terribly familiar with the rules in instances like this, but thought I'd pick are your guys' heads with this before I made the jump and pick this up!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #50
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Man, I thought this was going for $50, and didn't realize it's for $40.

I might pick up my first sports title on the PS2 pretty soon, if this is the case. However, having browsed a few other places for reviews and impressions, some folks have brought up the issue of an 'inning ending' double play issue?

Something along the lines of having some runners on base, with 1 out, and despite ending the inning on a double play, a score is counted? I know it sounds strange - it's hard to translate some of those people's posts on the GameFAQs board.

I'm presuming they mean to state that before the actual '2nd out' is issued, and the runner on base crosses the plate beforehand, it still counts the run, etc...etc. I'm not too terribly familiar with the rules in instances like this, but thought I'd pick are your guys' heads with this before I made the jump and pick this up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by from Gamefaqs
I thought they would fix this from last year.

Loretta hit a triple off of me in the Bottom of the 9th, score was 4-4 with 1 out. So I loaed the bases to get a force out @ any base. Varitek hits a ground ball to Delgado, so I naturally have a 3-6-1 double play. Nope. The runner crossed the plate before I could get Varitek out at first. The run counted (when it shouldn't), Red Sox win 5-4.

This is fxxxxx stupid. This exact thing was one of the many glitches in last year's version. I don't care about free agent pool or bars instead of number, but gameplay glitches suck. WTF 989?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Gamefaqs
Positive -- it was Varitek against Reyes' arm. This was picked as the play of the game so I saw the replay. They cut the replay prior to the ball reaching the 1b glove -- meaning it did not matter what happened at first base, b/c the runner crossed the plate.

I agree, I've had inning ending double plays w/ the bases loaded in prior innings where the run doesn't count, but the bottom of the 9th is a whole different story. This was also the case in last year's MLB 2006.

just a warning to all you out there -- throw the ball home!

The two quotes from gamefaqs are this guy's posts and I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about or not. I think what happened is the runner beat the throw at first on a bang-bang play and so the run scored. He says that's not what happened because it went in as the play of the game and the replay cut off when the run scored and so you don't see the throw at first. According to him that is because the run scored so the throw didn't matter. I think it cut off because the run did score and the replay already "knows" that the runner beats the play at first so the game is over. Which also is the reason it is the play of the game ie because it scored the winning run in the bottom of the 9th.

Of course I could be wrong and will watch for it. But others there said they have ended games and innings on dp's without the run scoring. They also say they have read posts at operation sports that agree that the run does not score.

Keep in mind this is the only post I could find where someone claimed this happens. I still think it goes back to he thinks he threw the guy out but didn't, lost, got pissed, and then whined on the boards.

Though if I'm wrong and see it I will certainly admit it and post here.