Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Official College Football Week 9 thread

The BCS rankings are out. Time for teams to start really jockeying for position. Here's the matchup of Top 25 teams this weekend:

UCLA at Oregon
South Carolina at Missouri
Stanford at Oregon State
Texas Tech at Oklahoma
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't like UCLA's chances at Oregon.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Of those four, I kinda figure TxTech has the best chance of an upset.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Tech may be the worst top 10 team in the history of the universe. As overrated as OU is, they will win by at least 30.

Having said that, Kliff Hipster is doing one helluva job up there.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 10-21-2013 at 12:04 PM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The Blue Donkeys visit Provo this Friday with a backup QB likely their starter.

We are due a win against these guys..
Old 10-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Easy Mac

I'm traveling 10 hours to Baton Rouge with my wife and child to watch Furman upset LSU this week. With my mom being an Ole Miss alum, I will be certain to keep my mouth shut around my wife's extended family of LSU diehards.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

South Carolina (-5) at Mizzou. Apparently the last two weeks have taught little to the betting folks.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I'm traveling 10 hours to Baton Rouge with my wife and child to watch Furman upset LSU this week. With my mom being an Ole Miss alum, I will be certain to keep my mouth shut around my wife's extended family of LSU diehards.

Eeek, you have my deepest sympathy on the family thing.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

'Bama plays Tennessee. Hopefully the Vols enjoyed their big win a little too much last week. They can score so it should be mildly interesting.

Michigan has a bye week to prepare for MSU.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

I was reading where South Carolina's QB is gonna miss the game.

Should be interesting.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

As the NC State blog Backing the Pack puts it, this is WE GON' DIE! week for State. FSU in Tallahassee a week after they annihilated Clemson and a year after we burned their season to the ground in Raleigh is not a recipe for success.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't like UCLA's chances at Oregon.
Me either, but I'm pulling for you regardless.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I was reading where South Carolina's QB is gonna miss the game. Should be interesting.

I'd think that makes the likely outcome a Mizzou blowout unless Mauk melts down. Without Shaw, SC is a different team.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

The Battle for Nevada Week is here! It's @UNR and we haven't won the Fremont Cannon since 2004. Doesn't look like we'll break this streak this year either, but maybe the win streak we put together before getting roflstomped in Fresno will give us confidence to pull it off.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 10-21-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

As much as I dislike UCLA, I'm pulling hard for them against Oregon. Do it, Bruins.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA is gonna be run off the field
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'd think that makes the likely outcome a Mizzou blowout unless Mauk melts down. Without Shaw, SC is a different team.

Let's not go crazy here. Most considered Dylan Thompson the best backup QB in the SEC coming into this year. He threw for 300+ yards in wins over East Carolina and Clemson while Shaw was out and came into the bowl game against Michigan when Shaw got hurt and lead them to a win in that game. He's no Conner Shaw, but he's still a good QB.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Let's not go crazy here. Most considered Dylan Thompson the best backup QB in the SEC coming into this year. He threw for 300+ yards in wins over East Carolina and Clemson while Shaw was out and came into the bowl game against Michigan when Shaw got hurt and lead them to a win in that game. He's no Conner Shaw, but he's still a good QB.

First, I said the most likely outcome, I didn't say it was a sure thing.

I've seen both of them play quite a bit, it's not that Thompson is awful by any means. It's just that Shaw brings a lot more to the table & is a much bigger threat, his presence opens up their offense. Combine that with a team that seems to have some internal issues, that's coming off a loss that could be very disheartening, that doesn't have a dominant receiver, well I just don't think that bodes well for the Poultry.

Mizzou could crap the bed, any team can. But I don't see that as a likely outcome.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
First, I said the most likely outcome, I didn't say it was a sure thing.

I've seen both of them play quite a bit, it's not that Thompson is awful by any means. It's just that Shaw brings a lot more to the table & is a much bigger threat, his presence opens up their offense. Combine that with a team that seems to have some internal issues, that's coming off a loss that could be very disheartening, that doesn't have a dominant receiver, well I just don't think that bodes well for the Poultry.

Mizzou could crap the bed, any team can. But I don't see that as a likely outcome.

I remember similar comments from you after Franklin went down in the Georgia game. We did just fine with Mauk and I'm pretty sure that USC will do just fine with Thompson.

But either way, it'll be a fine excuse for the rest of the SEC if Mizzou moves to 8-0 and all but seals up an East Division title.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-22-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I remember similar comments from you after Franklin went down in the Georgia game. We did just fine with Mauk and I'm pretty sure that USC will do just fine with Thompson. But either way, it'll be a fine excuse for the rest of the SEC if Mizzou moves to 8-0 and all but seals up an East Division title.

Mauk surprised me, no doubt.

Buuuut ... no excuses afaic. I mean, how could there be, you've got the same injured QB deal. Chill the sensitivity.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Mauk surprised me, no doubt.

Buuuut ... no excuses afaic. I mean, how could there be, you've got the same injured QB deal. Chill the sensitivity.

Yep. My friend and I were walking out of the Florida game last week and I was feeling great and he was complaining about respect and how the media would spin the win. Who cares? The next day we are ranked #5 in the country. I think the media and rest of the country gets it... in fact #5 seems a little too lofty IMO. I am actually quite happy if the players decide to have a "disrespect" chip on their shoulders but I don't understand why the fans just can't enjoy the ride. 7 wins at the beginning of this season would have been a great result now we are probably looking at a minimum of 9 with the possbility of a SEC championship game berth against Bama.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #22
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Thompson is a far superior passer to Shaw.
The only problem is his mobility is somewhere between Terry Bradshaw (today) and a bronze sttue at the HOF.....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Come one man, you are taking it the other way. In a pre-emptive strike to the nay sayers who will discredit Mizzou's win you are ego building Thompson to the moon.

But its ok...if what I heard about 30 minutes ago is accurate looks like #7 may get dinged up in practie about Thursday and if he cant answer a few questions he may not heal until after the bowl game.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I remember Rainmaker bringing up EIU's Jimmy Garroppolo as one of the best QB's in the country... I didn't realize they ran the Baylor system. It's taking over!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Feldman
How explosive is the Baylor system? Try this: the Bears attack not only leads FBS in offense this season, it also lead FCS too.

Huh?

"We're like the Baylor Junior Varsity," Eastern Illinois coach Dino Babers told me Saturday. "Everything that Baylor does, we do. You can't look at us and not see Baylor."

Babers, Eastern Illinois' second-year coach, spent four seasons on Art Briles' staff at Baylor. Four career-changing seasons.

Prior to Babers' time in Waco, he'd been an OC in the Pac-10 (Arizona) and in the Big 12 (Texas A&M), but after four seasons at UCLA, he was unsure if he was going to stay on the staff. In 2008, he went to the Coaches Convention in hopes of lining something up. He'd interviewed with Urban Meyer for a wide receiver job at Florida, and then met with Briles.

"I'd been in [the coaching business] for 22 years before I met Art," said Babers, counting up that he was on 11 different college coaching staffs before linking up with Briles. "He changed my thinking. I never met a man like that before. He's so positive. So forward in his offensive thinking. He's completely committed to what he's doing and he gets people to drink the Kool-Aid."

Babers guzzled that Kool-Aid.

"The system is not the easiest thing in the world to learn," he said. "It probably took me a year and half before I was comfortable with it. The cool thing about it, is the offense never stays the same. First, it's a caterpillar and then it's a butterfly and then. ... It's always green and grown."

Eastern Illinois is averaging 584 yards per game, more than 40 yards better than the next most prolific offense in FCS. The Panthers (5-1) started off the season with a bang, thumping FBS San Diego State on the road, 40-19. Their lone loss was a 43-39 defeat against unbeaten NIU. Babers' QB, 6-foot-3, 220-pound Jimmy Garoppolo, threw for 800 yards and nine TDs and only two INTs in the games against FBS opponents.

Babers says there's a lot of misconceptions about the Baylor system. He points to comments former colleague Nick Holt, then the DC at Washington, made before the 2011 Alamo Bowl.

"Nick and I were on the same staff at UNLV once, and I saw he said, '[Baylor] is exactly like Oregon.' I felt so bad for him. I'm thinking, 'If you play us like Oregon, God bless you.' "

Baylor ended up scoring 67 points and rolling up 777 yards on Holt's defense. Holt was fired soon after.

"The biggest thing about what we do is that no one really understands what we do," Babers said. "People really think it's like Oregon. It's nothing like Oregon. We throw the ball horizontal and vertical. I see us as throwing team. I see Oregon as more of a play-action throwing team. We don't have to play action to throw it."

Like Babers, Garoppolo's stock is skyrocketing. Babers said when he first arrived he had three people inside the EIU program tell him Garoppolo couldn't play in his system. "They thought I needed an option QB," Babers huffed. "My point was, they don't know my system. As soon as I saw him throw five passes in the spring I knew he was my guy.

"Jimmy's got the fastest release I've ever seen. He's super competitive and intelligent. He's gotten so much better with the speed of the game and being a coach on the field." Babers has given Garoppolo the freedom to run the offense at the line this season.

"He deserves to get the keys to the Cadillac at night. The guy's gotten so much better, it's ridiculous."

On the season, Garoppolo has thrown 28 TDs and four INTs.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Thompson is a far superior passer to Shaw.
The only problem is his mobility is somewhere between Terry Bradshaw (today) and a bronze sttue at the HOF.....

Hard to pass from your back, and we saw what a so-so at best UT did to Shaw on Saturday.

Plus, while I know that is definitely the image of the two QB's, Shaw has a lifetime completion percentage about 10 points higher than Thompson's and a better YPC. I think "far" superior might be pushing it.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #26
molson
General Manager

I feel cautiously optimistic Syracuse can avoid another 55+ point beatdown, but that's exclusively due to the fact that they're on a bye week.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I feel cautiously optimistic Syracuse can avoid another 55+ point beatdown, but that's exclusively due to the fact that they're on a bye week.

Take Bye and give the points
Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #28
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Case McCoy on why TCU is favorite vs. Texas: "Probably because I'm the quarterback, right?"
Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #29
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hard to pass from your back, and we saw what a so-so at best UT did to Shaw on Saturday.

Plus, while I know that is definitely the image of the two QB's, Shaw has a lifetime completion percentage about 10 points higher than Thompson's and a better YPC. I think "far" superior might be pushing it.

Slurrier totally changes his play calling when DT is in the game...
Its kind of neurotic to be honest. The FnG has long been riddled out, but when he has a supremely accurate passer he always tries to revert back. That's not to say Shaw doesnt sling it down field occasionally but there is a lot more screen, swing and dumps from Shaw than you see from DT.

The YPC is pretty typical of a mobile QB...if you cant keep contain your SS has to creep down...so if a pass finds the second level there is little chance of pulling a WR down
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
The YPC is pretty typical of a mobile QB...if you cant keep contain your SS has to creep down...so if a pass finds the second level there is little chance of pulling a WR down

Which goes back to my "they're a different team" without him thing. With Shaw, they scare me. Without him, only Davis scares me.

edit to add: Who knows, maybe I'm just heavily influenced right by how glaringly not-all-that-good Tennessee is.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-23-2013 at 06:09 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #31
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA is gonna be run off the field

For the first time ever, I hope you are underestimating UCLA...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #32
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bad news for #3 Coastal Carolina: QB Alex Ross has a slightly sprained foot and will not play. They will use a mixture of their three other QB's who have almost no playing time experience. Ross likely will be back next week.

Good news for #3 Coastal Carolina: They are playing at home against 1-6 VMI. A VMI team that is also without its starting QB due to injury, is winless on the road the past two years and have lost the last seven of eight to CCU.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
For the first time ever, I hope you are underestimating UCLA...

I might be a huge homer but I've never been one to just blindly pick UCLA to win games.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou's QB Berkstresser has surgery and is out for this week's game. This means that Mauk is the starter with true freshman Eddie Printz currently listed as the backup. Hopefully Mauk doesn't get injured so Printz can keep his redshirt.

Staff believes James Franklin will likely be back for the Old Miss game.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #35
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Dang good game tonight as BYU beats up on Boise State.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #36
MrBug708
Head Coach

So apparently UCLA holds the distinction of being the first team to be jilted by the BCS rankings (more my narrative) and the first team to start in the top 5 of the BCS (week 6) rankings and not make a bowl. (Declined to go to one...*sigh*)
Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #37
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So if Minn beats NW and Nebraska, how likely does it become that Kill eventually steps down?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
miked
College Starter

Gary Nova will be Gary Nova.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #39
miked
College Starter

Hard to win when you allow 600+ yards of offense and throw 5 picks...each week.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
bob
College Starter

Is it wrong to want your team to lose? If not, I want GT to lose to UVA. I can't stand Paul Johnson.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #41
cartman
Death Herald

The start of Texas Tech-OU is delayed for at least an hour and 15 minutes due to weather in the area.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #42
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm guessing Fitzgerald won't have too many schools knocking on his door at the end of the year. 0-4 in Big Ten play so far with Nebraska, MSU, and Michigan being their next three games.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Is it wrong to want your team to lose? If not, I want GT to lose to UVA. I can't stand Paul Johnson.

It's a tough call, but I'll go with a win being okay because
a) they can't afford to fire his sorry fat ass
and
b) even with a win today GT is still horrifyingly mediocre, the outcome doesn't change that fact

If they had enough sense to fire him that would happen regardless of the outcome of this meaningless game.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #44
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Minnesota takes down Nebraska. That just shows the depth of the conference. #SEC
Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT defense certainly doing their part to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Then again, 5 turnovers certainly might have something to do with it.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And Bama needed less than 2 minutes to break in front 7-0 over Tennessee
Old 10-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #47
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Minnesota takes down Nebraska. That just shows the depth of the conference. #SEC

Saw a lot of Nebraska folks on the message boards bitching about the lack of quality teams week in and week out in the Big 10 and how they wish that they could have swapped spots with Mizzou when things went down. Someone needs to tell them they need to beat the teams that lack quality before they actually start complaining.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #48
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
And Bama needed less than 2 minutes to break in front 7-0 over Tennessee

I'm surprised it took that long.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I'm surprised it took that long.

14-0 with just 6 minutes elapsed.

Another three & out and this one might be over with less than a quarter played.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #50
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
14-0 with just 6 minutes elapsed.

Another three & out and this one might be over with less than a quarter played.

Bama's going to have to work to keep pace. It's already 21-0 in Tallahassee in eight minutes.

There just aren't any descriptions to fit what's going on in that game so far. "Pathetic" just doesn't quite do it justice. This may go down as the most embarrassing loss in program history at the rate things are going and that includes some 60-point routs at the hands of FSU in the 1990s.

EDIT: Now 28-0. There isn't any pride left on the NC State sideline at this point. They've quit already. I know we had no chance, but this is disgraceful.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 10-26-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote