Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFL Conference Championships

Or: My chance to talk smack with jbergey22.

Vikings @ Saints (aka StarCaps must really work)

Either team could win this game. The Vikings have a great chance if they keep running the ball against a vulnerable Saints defense. If Favre starts trying to gunsling against an opportunistic Saints defense, however, then the Vikings could be in trouble. There would be a certain irony, of course, if the game turned against the Vikings because Darren Sharper picked off Brett Favre multiple times.

I give the edge to the Saints here because New Orleans' offense--even if slowed down--will force the Vikings to pass to keep up. And that puts the game in the hands of Favre. Which I think ends up giving it to the Saints.

Jets @ Colts

I think that the Colts are probably playing the one team that they don't want to be playing--the only one of the 31 other teams in the league that has absolutely no doubt in its mind that it will kick the Colts ass next week.

Which isn't to say that I think that the Colts will lose (I think that they are the best team in football, actually). But if the Colts start slow . . . I could see a fun-loving Jets team with nothing to lose really making life hard on them in the 4th quarter.

On a related note, how much fun does Rex Ryan look like he has out there? Just based on the last couple of weeks, he is one of my favorite coaches in the league.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
RedKingGold
College Starter

Vikings @ Saints

I think the Saints win somewhat easily. People forget how banged up that secondary was towards the end of the season. There's more than a nostalgic reason that New Orleans was desperate to sign a guy like Mike McKenzie who received not a nibble deep into the regular season.

In contrast, that secondary looked really healthy last week. Plus, I think Darren Sharper will be really jakked up to play against his old teams (Vikings/Packers) and old quarterback (Favre). My bet is Sharper steals the show with two picks.

I'm going to say Saints win it 34-17.

Jets @ Colts

This is one is a nail-biter, but it comes down to a Matt Stover field goal near the end of regulation and/or overtime sending Peyton back to the Super Bowl. I really like how the Jets are playing right now, but I don't think the Colts will make the numerous mental mistakes which the Chargers made and New York was able to pounce on.

I'm going to say Colts win it 16-14.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-19-2010 at 09:01 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

So if the Vikings win this weekend, how many people will light themselves on fire from the Favre Super Bowl coverage?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

LOL. Catchy title.

I am thinking about this $500 dollar package and flying to New Orleans for the weekend so I may not be around for the smack talk.

The two best teams in the NFC did their work so it should be a great game with a lot of points being scored.(60+) Vegas set the total at 53 and the Saints -4 for you gamblers out there. I am really liking the over.

The only things I really disagree with in your analysis is that I dont see either team stopping much of each other unless the Saints can manage to turn the Vikings over a lot and I think the production of Adrian Peterson will actually decide the game and not so much Favre.

If Favre is throwing the ball 40-50 times the Vikings will lose.

Which after re-reading your post you pretty said

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-19-2010 at 09:09 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think the Colts were more afraid of the Chargers. For whatever reason, the Chargers have had their number for a while. Needless to say, I was happy to see the Jets beat them.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So if the Vikings win this weekend, how many people will light themselves on fire from the Favre Super Bowl coverage?

Not me, I actually find Favre coming in at his age and possibly leading them to the superbowl and interesting story. I actually don't really have a problem with any of the teams making it to the superbowl. Its not the same tired teams we see every season lately, so it is somewhat fresh.

I guess I'd rather the Jets make it, but wouldn't mind either Jets vs Saints or Jets vs Vikings superbowl. I highly doubt thats happening though, as I think the Colts likely will win.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Vikings @ Saints

I'm going to say Saints win it 34-17.

The chances of the Saints holding the Vikings to 17 or less are slim to none. If the game were on grass maybe, but on turf the Vikings have to many speed weapons on both sides of the ball and special teams to get held back like that.

Vikings secondary is going to have a long day against all of these Saints Wr's and that is what I am concerned about. The Vikings offense will do fine.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-19-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I want the Colts to lose because they put the Jets in the playoffs with their benching of their stars, and handed the game to them. It would be football karma to see them lose to that team.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
LOL. Catchy title.

I am thinking about this $500 dollar package and flying to New Orleans for the weekend so I may not be around for the smack talk.

The two best teams in the NFC did their work so it should be a great game with a lot of points being scored.(60+) Vegas set the total at 53 and the Saints -4 for you gamblers out there. I am really liking the over.

The only things I really disagree with in your analysis is that I dont see either team stopping much of each other unless the Saints can manage to turn the Vikings over a lot and I think the production of Adrian Peterson will actually decide the game and not so much Favre.

If Favre is throwing the ball 40-50 times the Vikings will lose.

Which after re-reading your post you pretty said

I'll get a little smach talk in also..

Saints defense has been great when healthy, they haven't been healthy in a long time- until last week. As I said going into the Cards game if we can make them punt 3 times, or turn the ball over a couple- we win. I always side with Vegas on who the favorite is- not the talking heads on ESPN, and right now they have the Saints. The Vikes have a good offense, but so do the Cards and we shut that down pretty easily (besides the 1st play of the game) and the Saints are better than both.

Either way, it will be an exciting game, a very loud and crazy dome something us Saints fan's have been waiting for our entire lives.
Edit to add: If this game were out doors I'd be very nervous- since we are at home in the Dome I'm a little more confident.

If you do make the trip down to New Orleans as we tell all the fans- come on down, spend a lot of money, and have a good time

Last edited by Doug5984 : 01-19-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I want the Colts to lose because they put the Jets in the playoffs with their benching of their stars, and handed the game to them. It would be football karma to see them lose to that team.

You know this makes a lot of sense. The NFL seems to have this underdog story so often and so many things about the Jets beating the Colts make sense. Rex Ryan promises, the resting the starters game with a chance to be undefeated, the rookie QB that struggled all season but held his job.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

It also depends on what color pants the Saints wear- if we come out in that all black it's going to be a long day...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I would be rooting for the Jets if they were playing anyone but the Colts. I have been a huge Peyton Manning fan since he was at Tennessee ( I wore #16 in college because of him).

As for the other game I am torn. I don't feel like hearing about Brett Farve for two weeks, but I've never really been a Saints fan. Personally I'd like to see Farve go out like he has in some of his other playoff exits...throwing an INT that costs his team the game. So I guess that means Go Saints.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I always side with Vegas on who the favorite is- not the talking heads on ESPN, and right now they have the Saints. The Vikes have a good offense, but so do the Cards and we shut that down pretty easily (besides the 1st play of the game) and the Saints are better than both.

The Vegas line is designed to draw equal action its not specifically set on who they think will win. With that said I think this line is pretty much spot on.(I might have went Saints -3 instead of -4)

And with the Saints defense. They do find ways to stop teams but it generally seems to me that it is the other teams stopping themselves by turning the ball over. I am not trying to take anything away from that style of defense because it can be successful but Im not sure you can count on the Vikings turning it over more than once or twice the way Favre has played this year.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
spleen1015
Coordinator

The NFC game will be a shootout. It will be the better game to watch.

The Colts are going to bet the Jets by 20.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

jbergy22--

If you do go to New Orleans, here is a random assortment of places that I like to eat and drink. This list is nothing like complete, and you may also want to ask Doug, Pumpy, and EagleFan27 if they have suggestions. Also, these tend to be places outside of the Quarter, in part b/c that's where I tend to hang out. Depending on where you are staying and your transportation options, they may not all make sense for you:

Parasol's Restaurant & Bar | Parasol's Bar & Restaurant (local bar with great po-boys)

Jacques-Imo's Cafe - Real Nawlin' Food - Creole Soul (one of my favorite resturants in the city)

Preservation Hall Recordings, Sony Red Distribution and MRI present: “PRESERVATION: An Album to Benefit Preservation Hall and The Preservation Hall Music Outreach Program†featuring Tom Waits, Merle Haggard & more. (famous French Quarter Jazz)

http://www.myspace.com/dragonsdennola (my favorite New Orleans dive bar)

Vincent's Italian Cuisine (Mrs. A and I recently discovered the uptown location and really liked it)
Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The chances of the Saints holding the Vikings to 17 or less are slim to none. If the game were on grass maybe, but on turf the Vikings have to many speed weapons on both sides of the ball and special teams to get held back like that.

Vikings secondary is going to have a long day against all of these Saints Wr's and that is what I am concerned about. The Vikings offense will do fine.

I'll stand by my prediction.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Week 16 story notwithstanding, it seems somewhat hilarious the Jets are facing the franchise they beat in Super Bowl III as massively heavy underdogs, with a chance to make it back to the Super Bowl for the first time since then.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #18
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

/raises hand.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
jbergy22--

If you do go to New Orleans, here is a random assortment of places that I like to eat and drink. This list is nothing like complete, and you may also want to ask Doug, Pumpy, and EagleFan27 if they have suggestions. Also, these tend to be places outside of the Quarter, in part b/c that's where I tend to hang out. Depending on where you are staying and your transportation options, they may not all make sense for you:

Parasol's Restaurant & Bar | Parasol's Bar & Restaurant (local bar with great po-boys)

Jacques-Imo's Cafe - Real Nawlin' Food - Creole Soul (one of my favorite resturants in the city)

Preservation Hall Recordings, Sony Red Distribution and MRI present: “PRESERVATION: An Album to Benefit Preservation Hall and The Preservation Hall Music Outreach Program†featuring Tom Waits, Merle Haggard & more. (famous French Quarter Jazz)

Vincent's Italian Cuisine (Mrs. A and I recently discovered the uptown location and really liked it)

If you do go and want some suggestions for around the quarter, or any game day questions shoot me a PM as I sometimes get away from the computer and lose track of threads
Old 01-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #20
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Vikes 29
Saints 27

Saints miss a fg with 3 seconds left to lose (or that would of won it for them)

Colts 20
Jets 16
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
jbergy22--

I'll strongly 2nd Jacques-Imo's Cafe and Vincent's. Actually, the first date in New Orleans with my wife was at the uptown Vincent's location, so that is a particularly fond restaurant of mine.

Edit to add: If you have any particular type of food/ambiance you want, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or ask in this thread and I'll give you my thoughts. Wife and I have eaten out a lot over the years.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-19-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #22
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:

I once tumbled down the steps of the Dragon's Den while trying to lug around a briefcase containing a grey-haired, moustached British puppet. It's a long story, but I was totally sober. Suffice it to say, just watch out for the incredibly steep, narrow steps at that place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Vikes 29
Saints 27

Saints miss a fg with 3 seconds left to lose (or that would of won it for them)

Ugh. That's kind of what I envision as well (it is the Saints after all), but the city will pretty much implode if that happens. I don't even want to think about it.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #23
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions albionML, Doug, and EF27. That food looks delicious albionml. I love cajun and dont get near enough of it living in Minnesota.

Once I get further along in the planning process I may have some questions for you.

Much appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-19-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
PraetorianX
High School JV

I think the Colts will beat the Jets. People seem to overlook how good the Colts defense is (at least, when it's not snowing and their not resting people). The Ravens were averaging like 180+ yards a game rushing since week 11 (when they played the Colts, and btw only got like 60 something) and were held to only 80 something last week.

Mark Sanchez, when faced with Freeney and Mathis and a healthy(ish...still no Bob Sanders or Marlin Jackson, amongst others) Colts D that's not being rested, he'll be made to look like a rookie.

And no defense can completely shut out Manning and company, he'll score.

I also don't think Reggie Wayne will be a non-factor. Reggie only had 30 some yards in Week 16, but remember he was rested. Also, there was one play where Wayne could have had a huge catch and maybe even a touchdown, as he'd completely blown by Revis but Manning's pass was slightly off.

How often does that happen? Clark also had a drop or two in that game.

Also, it was only 10-15 when the starters were benched because they'd returned a kickoff (or was a punt?) for a TD. You can't rely on things like that to happen. Their offense was going nowhere until the Colts benched the starters.

And in that game, even when the Colts starters were in there, they didn't really have much to play for while the Jets had everything to play for. Now both teams will have everything to play for, and the Colts will likely be looking to set things straight.

Not to mention Manning will hopefully remember his last playoff game against the Jets, for some extra motivation.

*shudders* Oh that was horrible.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #25
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Jets vs. Colts

I just don't see a rookie QB going on the road and beating Manning. Even with the Jets D, I think Manning knows how to work with it.

Vikings vs. Saints

People bring up the Saints D, and yet the Vikings have a rather good one themselves. Favre knows what he has before him and I think it will be a huge driving factor in them getting a win. I just don't think the Saints will have the same urgency that the Vikings will. Yes, they know they are a win away from going to the Super Bowl, but Favre is thinking he could be one loss from being done and I'm willing to beat he has a huge fear of that happening. A good example of this was Favre getting excited early during the Dallas game when Minnesota scored their 2nd TD. Granted, that desire could also force him to toss another season ending INT.

Colts vs. Vikings for the Super Bowl in the most watched one yet.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-19-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #26
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Wonder how Brett Favre would feel if the Vikings lost but his other former team, the Jets, went to the Super Bowl?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
Daimyo
College Starter

Try as I might I'm just not seeing how the Colts-Jets game can be all that close. I'm seeing a 17-6 or 20-10 game that isn't nearly as close as the final score might indicate.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #28
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I can handle a 24/7 Favre rimjobbing from the media as long as the Jets don't win the Super Bowl. I'd prefer Colts v. Saints but just somebody please beat the Jets.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #29
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Wonder how Brett Favre would feel if the Vikings lost but his other former team, the Jets, went to the Super Bowl?

How would Green Bay fans feel if Favre goes up against his other former team in the Super Bowl?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
How would Green Bay fans feel if Favre goes up against his other former team in the Super Bowl?
Well, at least they can go hump the one Lombardi Trophy he won for them 26 years ago or whenever it was.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #31
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Well, at least they can go hump the one Lombardi Trophy he won for them 26 years ago or whenever it was.

You've been living near Pittsburgh too long now...talking about humping trophies. You are almost a full fledged yinzer my friend.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LOL - latest Football Outsiders post talking about similarity scores...guess who Sanchez is most similar to after his rookie season?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
You've been living near Pittsburgh too long now...talking about humping trophies. You are almost a full fledged yinzer my friend.
welp guess i'm done here
Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #34
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So as a Pats loyalist am I allowed to say I am a Revis fan? I mean, don't get me wrong, Ryan and the rest of them can DIAF.

But regardless of the Moss BS, I like that Revis dude.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-20-2010 at 03:13 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #35
Tigercat
College Starter

I am surprised at how many are completely ignoring the Saints defensive performance against the Cardinals this past week. The Saints allowed only two scoring drives, one via one 70 yard run, the other fueled by a somewhat questionable roughing the passer call that negated an INT. This against a Cardinals team that was good on the road this year and just torched the second best defense in the NFL.

If the Saints didn't shut down Warner, before and after the big hit, they put serious restraints on him, while forcing two turnovers and the aforementioned hit. And given that it coincided with the defense finally getting closer to healthy again... The Saints offensive performance may have been ho-hum in terms of who we played, but the defensive performance means something. Not that it would really surprise me to see the Vikings score 30+ points, but I find it odd that so many "experts" are ignoring what happened on that side of the ball Sat and talking like the Saints are fielding the same Saints defense from late in the season.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #36
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I am surprised at how many are completely ignoring the Saints defensive performance against the Cardinals this past week. The Saints allowed only two scoring drives, one via one 70 yard run, the other fueled by a somewhat questionable roughing the passer call that negated an INT. This against a Cardinals team that was good on the road this year and just torched the second best defense in the NFL.

If the Saints didn't shut down Warner, before and after the big hit, they put serious restraints on him, while forcing two turnovers and the aforementioned hit. And given that it coincided with the defense finally getting closer to healthy again... The Saints offensive performance may have been ho-hum in terms of who we played, but the defensive performance means something. Not that it would really surprise me to see the Vikings score 30+ points, but I find it odd that so many "experts" are ignoring what happened on that side of the ball Sat and talking like the Saints are fielding the same Saints defense from late in the season.

The experts pick and choose what they want. They hardly ever mention the injuries throughout the season. They like to admit that the Vikings beat the Cowboys, who beat the Saints (the very very injured Saints)- yet they never mention the Saints beat the Cards who beat the Vikes very recently as well. (And that we both won by same margin, but we started running the clock down halfway through the 3rd quarter, and the Vikes were trying to score at the end of the game).

They don't look at how good our pass d has been when Greer has been healthy. Or the fact that Vikings haven't been great on the road this year.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #37
Daimyo
College Starter

The Saints are favored in the NFC Championship. No matter who wins the AFC title game, they'll probably be favored in the Super Bowl as well. Despite what Pats fans may have tried in the past, you're not allowed to play the lack of respect card when you're the favorite.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #38
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

I'm not. As I said above, I think the Saints defensive struggles as the season went on were more because of injuries and not b/c opposing offenses were "figuring them out." Heck, the Cardinals showed how devestating certain injuries can be against the Saints after losing their top two cornerbacks during the game.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #39
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
The Saints are favored in the NFC Championship. No matter who wins the AFC title game, they'll probably be favored in the Super Bowl as well. Despite what Pats fans may have tried in the past, you're not allowed to play the lack of respect card when you're the favorite.

Yeah. Haven't seen the Pats fans try that in about 7 years.

Thanks for playing. Try again. Less stereotypical Colts fan next time.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-20-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #40
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:

Oh and I personally am never worried about respect, as a small market team I know we(and other small markets that aren't the Green Bay Packers) will never get as much as the large markets regardless. But more than we deserve at times because of Katrina.

I was just talking about the informed debates about the game in the national media. I think they are missing the boat on the Saints defense a bit, or at least how well it performed last week.

Last edited by Tigercat : 01-20-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #41
QuikSand
lolzcat

The upset win over the Chargers has fizzled out much of this observation's novelty -- but even as the Bengals were looking like they might pound the Jets, it did occur to me that the Jets have an awfully good looking nucleus together right now. It wouldn't be a surprise at all if a couple years down the line, they are not only a playoff caliber team but a true NFL power team.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #42
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The upset win over the Chargers has fizzled out much of this observation's novelty -- but even as the Bengals were looking like they might pound the Jets, it did occur to me that the Jets have an awfully good looking nucleus together right now. It wouldn't be a surprise at all if a couple years down the line, they are not only a playoff caliber team but a true NFL power team.

Yeah, the globe wrote something like that a few days ago. A power shift in the AFC East coming? - Extra Points - Boston.com

Too be honest it gets a little boring, other than last year, to pretty much be handed the division on a silver platter. I look forward to the competition, assuming the Pats don't just start tanking like they did against the Ravens.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-20-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #43
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
They definitely have a strong nucleus. I guess my only issue with it is that it's on the defensive side of the ball. I think it's much harder for a team to be consistently dominant on the defensive side of the ball than it is on the offensive side. Teams seem to jump up and down the rankings based on injuries and other factors.

On offense, it seems much easier to maintain consistency. New Orleans is always at the top of the league now as well New England and Indy. If you have a great QB, you are going to be good no matter what it seems like.

It just seems to me that when you catch that wave of a great defense, your window is much shorter. The Bears defense went from great to putrid with almost the same players in a matter of a couple years. The Giants won a Super Bowl with their defense and now can't stop anyone. Counting on that defense to be that dominant for the next 5 years is too optimistic because you rarely dominate on that side of the field for that long.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it's nice to look into the future and see a great group of guys playing, windows in the NFL have been short in this salary cap era when it comes to defensive powerhouse and they should really be looking to take it this year.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #44
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh and I personally am never worried about respect, as a small market team I know we(and other small markets that aren't the Green Bay Packers) will never get as much as the large markets regardless. But more than we deserve at times because of Katrina.

I was just talking about the informed debates about the game in the national media. I think they are missing the boat on the Saints defense a bit, or at least how well it performed last week.

The Vikings averaged 32.8 points per game in domes this year. Just because everyone is predicting shootout doesnt simply mean they have forgotten about the Saints defense. These are the 2 best offenses in the NFL squaring off this week.

Stats wise defensively the Vikings are better in every category except creating TO's but Vikings fans arent feeling cheated because the experts feel the Saints will score 30 points.

Its not that people dont think these defenses are good its more so that the offenses are really good.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-21-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #45
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post

They don't look at how good our pass d has been when Greer has been healthy. Or the fact that Vikings haven't been great on the road this year.

Vikings dont struggle on the road in domes they struggle on grass road games. Its been a problem of theirs since the moved into this frikin dome. Luckily all the teams that are left are turf teams so playing in the grass for the Super Bowl wont be a huge advantage for any one team.

They build their teams around speed and the grass takes away a huge chunk of that advantage.

They've done quite well in different road dome stadiums in the past 20 years.

They are 21-16(.568) in road dome games since 1993 while being 46-69(.400) in other road games since 1993.

They are 11-0 on the fake stuff this year.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-21-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #46
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
The Saints are favored in the NFC Championship. No matter who wins the AFC title game, they'll probably be favored in the Super Bowl as well.

The Colts were the Vegas favorites going into the tournament. They would be favored over either NFC team. Either of those would be favored over the Jets.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #47
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Yeah. Haven't seen the Pats fans try that in about 7 years.

You have got to be kidding. The Pats play the lack of respect card again and again and again.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #48
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

I answer your statement with a question (and resulting explanation after you answer it).

Would you consider the Chicago Bears of the 1980's to be a true NFL power team?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #49
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
The Colts were the Vegas favorites going into the tournament. They would be favored over either NFC team. Either of those would be favored over the Jets.

True

Id guess Colts -2 vs Saints
Colts -3/3.5 vs Vikings
Saints -3.5 vs Jets
Vikings -2.5 vs Jets
Old 01-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #50
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

This is also not a novel observation, but I think that the answer depends, almost totally, on

(1) Whether Sanchez is a great QB or not, and

(2) Whether Rex Ryan's unique coaching style wears well with players or ends up becoming a discipline problem after a few seasons. Guys who come off as "players coaches" don't seem to have the shelf life of guys who seem like total assholes.

Looking at Joe Flacco this year, I'd have to say that we need some more time to evaluate Sanchez. He seems to have the right tools and attitude, but we have not seen him have to put a team on his back either.

(One thing I will note about Ryan/Sanchez is that they seem made for each other. People talk about how the Saints' success comes, in part, because Brees and Payton are basically the same guy and have an almost telepathic communication with each other. I'd say that the same thing could be true of Ryan and Sanchez.)

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-21-2010 at 03:29 PM.