Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

NFL Week 6

Just read that Chad Ochocinco and Motorola bought 1200 tickets to ensure the blackout would be lifted. Anybody in Cincy can go to the stadium tomorrow morning and get two free tickets until they run out. Great PR move by Chad.

I really wish Mike Brown would have stepped up first. He could have gotten a decent amount of goodwill out of guaranteeing their would be no blackouts, but it's always about good short term decisions for Mike Brown.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

So Cincy has a surprising team, is at 4-1, and the game isn't selling out?

edit: Really nice move by Ochocinco though.

Last edited by MikeVic : 10-16-2009 at 04:50 PM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So Cincy has a surprising team, is at 4-1, and the game isn't selling out?

edit: Really nice move by Ochocinco though.

Between a really poor economy in southern Ohio and a general hatred of putting money in Mike Brown's pocket I'd expect more blackout problems as the season goes on regardless of record.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Did the Bengals raise ticket prices this year? I can't speak for other teams, but I know the Bears kept ticket prices static from last year.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Between a really poor economy in southern Ohio and a general hatred of putting money in Mike Brown's pocket I'd expect more blackout problems as the season goes on regardless of record.

Ah ok, just curious.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Browns Steelers is barely a rivalry like it should be. It is like playing your 10 year old in one on one. If you lose it's bad. If you win, you beat a 10 year old.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

This week is useless w/o Colts.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Travis
Pro Rookie

Should (I hope) be an interesting game in Seattle this weekend as the Seahawks take on the Cards. With the Niners on their bye, a Cards win would tie them for the division lead while a Seattle win would move them within half a game as they head into their bye.

The Seahawks are heading into this one trying to build on the momentum of getting Hasselbeck back last week and the knowledge that they should be getting 4 key starters back after the bye (Locklear, Sims, Hill, Trufant).

They also get a couple players back this week (Griffith and Kerney) with (I believe) the true keys being whether the Seattle front 4 can pressure Warner without requiring a lot of blitzing help and if the MASH unit that is the Seattle offensive line can buy Hasselbeck enough time to find one of the many aerial offensive weapons in his arsenal. Seattle's secondary doesn't match up well with Fitz and Boldin, so definitely key to give them as little time as possible before Warner has to make a (hopefully pressured) throw.

I'm hoping the home field advantage gives Seattle the edge as I'm really hoping they can stay relatively healthy the rest of the way and put an extended run together.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions head to Green Bay this week, where they haven't won in some 19 years or so. They wont win on Sunday. They haven't played particularly well on the road so far this year, getting blown out by both New Orleans and Chicago. To make matters worse, it's likely that neither Calvin Johnson nor Matthew Stafford will be play. So, not only will the Lions lose badly, but they will be really boring while doing it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Just read that Chad Ochocinco and Motorola bought 1200 tickets to ensure the blackout would be lifted. Anybody in Cincy can go to the stadium tomorrow morning and get two free tickets until they run out. Great PR move by Chad.

I really wish Mike Brown would have stepped up first. He could have gotten a decent amount of goodwill out of guaranteeing their would be no blackouts, but it's always about good short term decisions for Mike Brown.

I've now read that Brown donated 500 tickets to military families.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

I see the Bears sent a 2nd round pick to Tampa for DE Gaines Adams.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-16-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Should (I hope) be an interesting game in Seattle this weekend as the Seahawks take on the Cards. With the Niners on their bye, a Cards win would tie them for the division lead while a Seattle win would move them within half a game as they head into their bye.

The Seahawks are heading into this one trying to build on the momentum of getting Hasselbeck back last week and the knowledge that they should be getting 4 key starters back after the bye (Locklear, Sims, Hill, Trufant).

They also get a couple players back this week (Griffith and Kerney) with (I believe) the true keys being whether the Seattle front 4 can pressure Warner without requiring a lot of blitzing help and if the MASH unit that is the Seattle offensive line can buy Hasselbeck enough time to find one of the many aerial offensive weapons in his arsenal. Seattle's secondary doesn't match up well with Fitz and Boldin, so definitely key to give them as little time as possible before Warner has to make a (hopefully pressured) throw.

I'm hoping the home field advantage gives Seattle the edge as I'm really hoping they can stay relatively healthy the rest of the way and put an extended run together.

I'm hoping not. But I worry about my beloved Cards secondary as they lead the league in passing yards given up. And after seeing how the 'Hawks put up 40+ points last week, I will be holding my breath the whole game probably.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm hoping to see a Bengals win going away here but knowing the Cardiac Cats its going to be another nailbiter...
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:14 AM   #14
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Cinci needs to get the monkey off their back and win one comfortably. They should be able to focus mostly on the pass with the way the Texans run game has looked, and Palmer needs to continue making progress toward being the QB he used to be. He's been a game manager with poise, but if the run game falters, he needs to be able to step up. There'll be games where it takes more than 20 points to win. If they win by 10 or more, I'll finally feel like this team has some serious potential.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
spleen1015
Coordinator

Why are the Titans so bad this year? I'm kinda of disappointed that the Colts seem to be running away with the division. I want them to win, but some competition would be nice.

I saw a few people picking the Chiefs this week against the Skins. It is terrible. I didn't think Zorn would get fired in the middle of the season, but they seem to get worse every week. The Skins signing one of the big name coaches that are available is too good to be true. Snyder will go sign the Browns Special Teams coach instead.

Err... Go Saints!
Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
This week is useless w/o Colts.
I had a feeling the Colts were off since they weren't the Sunday night game.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
I had a feeling the Colts were off since they weren't the Sunday night game.

They have 2 more prime time games left, 11/15 on NBC and 12/17 on NFL Network.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great catch by Lance Moore. This is one of the few times I'll root for the Saints all year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
Masked
College Starter

Great start for the Saints against the Giants - TDs on 70 and 80 yard drives.

Last edited by Masked : 10-18-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
Great start for the Saints against the Giants - TDs on 70 and 80 yard drives.

Yep, I know the Giants are dinged up a bit, but I'm surprised how easily the Saints are moving it against their defense.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

Very impressive starts for both New Orleans and Minnesota in the big 1pm games.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Brees with great movement in the pocket to buy himself a bit more time. Now, a long pass for a TD. 20-3 (soon to be 21 - or not) as the Saints have scored on their first 3 drives.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-18-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #23
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Can always count on John Carney to miss a PAT.

The Saints had better keep scoring because Brandon Jacobs is going to score 7 touchdowns in the last 2 minutes of the game. It's never over as long as Brandon Jacobs is consuming oxygen!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #24
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Can always count on John Carney to miss a PAT.

The Saints had better keep scoring because Brandon Jacobs is going to score 7 touchdowns in the last 2 minutes of the game. It's never over as long as Brandon Jacobs is consuming oxygen!!!!!!!

I miss Lathum. When is he unboxed?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That was a very generous spot by the officials in favor of the Giants.. good challenge by Payton.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #26
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Why is it every time I need to root for the Giants to win, they lay a complete disaster of a game?

The Giants are really making me want to hate them.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I miss Lathum. When is he unboxed?
Beats me, but he's probably better off with the way New York is playing today.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #28
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Packers are routing Detroit after sucking till this point. This is about time for a Jas_Love return.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #29
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The two games I am getting both blow.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #30
Tigercat
College Starter

Roughing the passer penalties erasing INTs is complete and utter BS. Erasing the return, that at least makes some logical sense.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #31
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I've seen midget games more exciting that the Steelers/Browns game
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I've seen midget games more exciting that the Steelers/Browns game

I think they prefer the term "little people". Thanks.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
The two games I am getting both blow.

Red Zone Channel, baby. Only way to go and dirt cheap.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Packers are routing Detroit after sucking till this point. This is about time for a Jas_Love return.

This is not surprising. Even with Stafford and Calvin Johnson playing they were going to lose. Without them, it was going to be ugly. You also have the fact that three of the Lions 4 starting defensive linemen aren't playing. So, you have the second string defensive linemen of the worst d-line in the league playing.

Again, even if the Lions were totally healthy this game wouldn't be close, with all the injuries this is almost like yesterday's UofM/DSU game.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #35
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

From the little bit I've seen of Tampa's QB Josh Johnson, he seems to be fairly decent for an inexperienced guy. He's just so quick to run out of the pocket, even when the line is giving him time. He's almost forcing his linemen to take holding penalties because they don't know which direction he's headed. Maybe part of the reason Tampa is so bad is because these guys just aren't on the same page as a team. Kinda sad to watch.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #36
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Why are the Titans so bad this year?

I know. I kinda wonder if McNair's death had anything to do with it, even though he's not been with the team for a while, he still lived in TN and had a ton of connections with the team.

For example, wasn;t it earlier this week that Jeff Fisher did not punish Jevon Kearse for some team infraction? Kearse was a player who played with McNair.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #37
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Terrible PI call against the Giants there.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #38
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

drew brees so ill
Old 10-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #39
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Terrible PI call against the Giants there.

You and Aikman must have missed where he clearly pushed with one of his hands. It wasn't the worst push in the world, but they have called some borderline calls the other way too.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #40
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This is not surprising. Even with Stafford and Calvin Johnson playing they were going to lose. Without them, it was going to be ugly. You also have the fact that three of the Lions 4 starting defensive linemen aren't playing. So, you have the second string defensive linemen of the worst d-line in the league playing.

Again, even if the Lions were totally healthy this game wouldn't be close, with all the injuries this is almost like yesterday's UofM/DSU game.

I am not shocked at all because Culpepper is garbage. Yes the OL is bad but he is not picking up any blitzes and calling audibles, and I mean, he threw an INT on a screen pass to a DL occupied by a blocker. That's so bad.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #41
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
You and Aikman must have missed where he clearly pushed with one of his hands. It wasn't the worst push in the world, but they have called some borderline calls the other way too.

They showed the replay several times from various angles. I didn't see him push off. What I saw was the defender looked back to his right for the ball at the same time that the receiver slowed down. Causing both of their feet to tangle up with the pass coming in.

Normally that is not a pass interference call.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I am not shocked at all because Culpepper is garbage. Yes the OL is bad but he is not picking up any blitzes and calling audibles, and I mean, he threw an INT on a screen pass to a DL occupied by a blocker. That's so bad.

I agree. I thought Culpepper was by far the worst of the quarterbacks who played for the Lions last year. Kitna and Orlvosky were both better.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #43
RainMaker
General Manager

Cleveland just stuffed Pittsburgh on 4th and 1. The chains came out and it was a few inchese short yet they gave Pittsburgh the 1st down anyway. I don't get it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #44
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
They showed the replay several times from various angles. I didn't see him push off. What I saw was the defender looked back to his right for the ball at the same time that the receiver slowed down. Causing both of their feet to tangle up with the pass coming in.

Normally that is not a pass interference call.

He pushed one of his hands to Colston's back, can't remember if it was the right or the left. At that time he didn't have an idea on the ball and the trip up happened right after he pushed/marked him up with his hand to the back.

In other news, Brees is sick today.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #45
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Cleveland just stuffed Pittsburgh on 4th and 1. The chains came out and it was a few inchese short yet they gave Pittsburgh the 1st down anyway. I don't get it.

I'm as big a Steelers' homer as they come, but that was a BS call. I'd be infuriated if they did that against my team.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #46
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
He pushed one of his hands to Colston's back, can't remember if it was the right or the left. At that time he didn't have an idea on the ball and the trip up happened right after he pushed/marked him up with his hand to the back.

In other news, Brees is sick today.

His hands were touching him, which is legal. He didn't push there though. You didn't see the receiver fall at all until the feet tangled up. In fact the receiver pulled up slightly which is the exact opposite of what you would expect if it was a push off.

And yes, Brees is indeed sick today. The Saints are making the Giants defense look like the Cardinals.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #47
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, I don't get this either. I think that would go down as the worst call of the season unless there's a good explanation. I mean, that's not even a judgment call. The ball was clearly short of the marker by a few inches. How can they possibly explain that one away?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #48
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

You know, I don't mind the idea of a fake punt here, because, you know, who cares really. But the execution on that play was pathetic.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #49
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm as big a Steelers' homer as they come, but that was a BS call. I'd be infuriated if they did that against my team.
I'm not a fan of either team, but it came on RedZone and I was just really confused. Not sure if there was some reason for it since they went from game to game.

I also thought that was a catch by Hines Ward but they didn't show enough replays.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #50
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You know, I don't mind the idea of a fake punt here, because, you know, who cares really. But the execution on that play was pathetic.

I love Jim Schwartz. He's the guy I wanted from the get and I think he'll be a great coach, but this is not his best game. These pitch plays are killing us that Linehan is running, especially because it's so obvious on 4th down it's coming.