Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Radii
Head Coach

College Basketball!

Hopefully I haven't missed a thread on the games the past couple days. The Preseason NIT has been great today with Butler upsetting Tennessee earlier and UNC/Gonzaga are playing a very enertaining game now, UNC jumped out early 10-0, Gonzaga came back and led by 16 at one point, UNC just cut the lead down to 2 with about 4 minutes left.

I think UNC will end up being a top team by the end of the year but they have a lot of youth and I think will struggle for awhile vs quality opponents. Also, this is the worst I've ever seen Hansbrough play. Gonzaga is doing a great job on him but it seems also to be a probelm with the UNC Freshmen being a bit selfish at times and not getting him involved more.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
miami_fan
Coordinator

Somebody has to tell Mark Few to name his price at some point, don't they? This guys has built a program that reloads every year as opposed to rebuilding.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

Carolina doesn't quite have it in them to come back. A young team like this losing doesn't really bother me too much, the one thing that kills me though is seeing UNC shoot 60% from the FT line. Shoot 75% or better and its a totally different finish.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
wbatl1
High School Varsity

As a Carolina fan, I can't help but feel that we should have stuck with our guns early in the first half. Roy ran the entire bench onto the floor after our hot start, and it just killed us...

Also, somebody needs to help Brandan with his free throws.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Somebody has to tell Mark Few to name his price at some point, don't they? This guys has built a program that reloads every year as opposed to rebuilding.

I would think so. It's truly amazing what he's done with Gonzaga but the fact that they have to spend January and February playing against subpar conference competition every year really holds them back IMO, it'd be great to see what he could do with a major conference program.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

UCLA is destroying Georgia Tech as well. That's two west coast teams beating two ACC teams in one night. I predict a MrBug sighting any minute now!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I would think so. It's truly amazing what he's done with Gonzaga but the fact that they have to spend January and February playing against subpar conference competition every year really holds them back IMO, it'd be great to see what he could do with a major conference program.

I think Few recognized this since he has scheduled Memphis (who recovered nicely from yesterday's second half collapse) in February. I am not sure that one game is enough but one is better than none.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-22-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Quote:
I think Few recognized this since he has scheduled Memphis (who recovered nicely from yesterday's second half collapse) in February. I am not sure that one game is enough but one is better than none.

Well, and the WCC is getting better as well. They are not a bottom-feeder conference, even though Gonzaga clearly dominates...
Old 11-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm pretty sure programs have asked about Few in the past, but he hasn't budged yet. Is he looking for the Arizona job when Lute goes or something along those lines? Or does he legitimately want to stay at Gonzaga for the duration?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Mark Few is a very good coach but I believe his teams lack toughness and killer instinct in March -- always have, even compared to the one Elite Eight Gonzaga team that Dan Monson coached. As to why he hasn't moved on, maybe it's Arizona -- though he also has a "what not to do" path laid out already for him by Monson, who went to the "big time" Big 10 and hasn't been heard from since, while Gonzaga continues to be in the top 10 every year.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

In honor of this thread and the new season (which I don't follow much), I'm into playing the great FBCB this weekend.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #12
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
In honor of this thread and the new season (which I don't follow much), I'm into playing the great FBCB this weekend.

Arkansas being on tv this morning inspired me to bust out tcb. Forgot how much I like this game.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #13
MrBug708
Head Coach

Does anyone teach defense better then Ben Howland?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #14
miami_fan
Coordinator

A few mid majors (or whatever is the politically correct term for them is this year ) have begun staking their claims to spots in the Tourney. Butler in the finals of the NIT, Wichita State beat George Mason in a game that could decide which one of those teams get in and which one gets left out, and Old Dominion had a big one over Georgetown earlier this week.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:25 PM   #15
Recoil
High School Varsity

I've been pleasantly surprised with Ga Tech's strong play (excluding the UCLA game) early with such a young team. The future is looking good.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #16
timmynausea
College Starter

West Virginia has looked surprisingly good so far considering they lost pretty much everyone. I imagine they'll get knocked around a bit in conference play, but this team appears to have way more potential than Pittsnogle and co. did at this stage.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:08 PM   #17
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Freshman Fab 5 for Texas look to be pretty awesome. Kevin Durant is going to be a beast. He's gotten at least 20 points in each game so far for the 'Horns.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:09 AM   #18
korme
Go Reds

UC's demise is the most depressing sports story of my life.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:54 AM   #19
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Butler also beat Indiana in this year's Hoosier classic.

As a fan of a Horizon League school (Wright State), it appears that Butler is going to be the class of the league this year, and is back as a mid-major power after being absent for several years.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #20
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Arkansas being on tv this morning inspired me to bust out tcb. Forgot how much I like this game.

Thanks MJ4H - BTW just in case anyone is interested we just re-released the game over at Wolverine Studios. Prior owners of TCB don't need to do anything - your licenses will still work just fine even though you got the game from Grey Dog and the "re-release" is the same version as the last patched version (1.5). This is just for people who don't have TCB yet and are looking to purchase it now since it is no longer sold anywhere else.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #21
miami_fan
Coordinator

Score another one for the Missouri Valley Conference. Missouri State pulls the upset over Wisconsin today 66-64.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #22
Radii
Head Coach

UNC came out and played a wonderful first half against Tennessee, wasn't as good in the second half but held it together more than well enough to put up 100 and win by double digits. This team has incredible potential, and two more early tests with Ohio State and Kentucky in the next 7 days, I am hoping for the team that showed up in the first half tonight to be the one that goes after Ohio State in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

Butler owned Gonzaga. A mid-major getting a few upset wins early on doesn't suprise me so much anymore, but Butler was picked to be a middle of the road Horizon League team so this seems to be from completely out of nowhere... consecutive wins over Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee and Gonzaga is astounding.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #23
miami_fan
Coordinator

A couple of intriguing matchups tomorrow. Wichta State heads to Baton Rouge to play the Tigers at 4 et. This game is key not only for the Shockers but for the whole Missouri Valley Conference when it comes to the team and the conference RPI rankings. Then in Vegas, Florida faces Kansas tomorrow night.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:26 AM   #24
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Score another one for the Missouri Valley Conference. Missouri State pulls the upset over Wisconsin today 66-64.

Also in Missouri Valley vs. Big Ten play, Southern Illinois avoided being upset by Minnesota beating them 69-53. The Gophers will try to avoid being out rebounded too badly by Montana tomorrow while playing for 7th place in the Old Spice Classic.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #25
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Go MVC.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:59 AM   #26
hoopsguy
General Manager

More MVC action today, as Bradley plays the Illini in Hoffman Estates (Chicago suburb). I will not be pulling for the MVC in this one.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #27
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
A couple of intriguing matchups tomorrow. Wichta State heads to Baton Rouge to play the Tigers at 4 et. This game is key not only for the Shockers but for the whole Missouri Valley Conference when it comes to the team and the conference RPI rankings. Then in Vegas, Florida faces Kansas tomorrow night.

WSU-57
LSU-53
Old 11-25-2006, 08:02 PM   #28
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
More MVC action today, as Bradley plays the Illini in Hoffman Estates (Chicago suburb). I will not be pulling for the MVC in this one.

I'm flipping back and forth from the Notre Dame - USC game and the Illinois - Bradley game and I think the basketball game is more physical.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #29
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Missouri State falls in the finals of the South Padre Classic to Oklahoma State in overtime 73-70 but Creighton joins Wichita State among MVC teams who have beaten Final Four Cinderella George Mason so far this year. In addition to WSU knocking off LSU today, Illinois State is leading St. John's and Bradley is up on Illinois late in the first half.

If last year didn't erase any doubts, the start of this season should -- the MVC is no longer a mid-major.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Florida & Kansas are playing a dandy back & forth game in Vegas right now.
54-51 Jayhakws with 9 minutes left.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's Overtime Baby.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 AM   #32
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I don't know what it is about him, but every time I see Joachim Noah I just want to punch him in the face. It's completely irrational and makes no sense, but the urge is overwhelming.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:26 AM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jayhawks win by 2 in OT, as Florida misses a good look at a 3 at the buzzer.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:14 AM   #34
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I don't know what it is about him, but every time I see Joachim Noah I just want to punch him in the face. It's completely irrational and makes no sense, but the urge is overwhelming.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #35
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's Overtime Baby.

That was some of the worst clock management I've ever seen by the team trying to hold on to a small lead... Kansas never should have let that game get to OT. Kudos to Kansas for being fundamentally sound on the FT line, but dear god stop fouling the other team when you're ahead in the final minute!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #36
mckerney
Coordinator

Gophers only lose by 7 to Montana. Time to give Monson an extension, 'cause I think this team could finish second in the Big Sky within 3 years.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #37
timmynausea
College Starter

Usually I don't get too into college basketball until closer to the tournament. I am really looking forward to WVU-Arkansas in the Old Spice Classic championship game tonight, though. I have no idea what to expect. Vegas has it Arkansas -1.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just got home from #8 UGA vs #11 Stanford women's hoops.

Say what you will about the women's college game, for less than $5 per game and only 20 minutes from my garage to my seat a few rows behind the visitors bench, it a pretty darned good bang for the entertainment dollar.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #39
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Usually I don't get too into college basketball until closer to the tournament. I am really looking forward to WVU-Arkansas in the Old Spice Classic championship game tonight, though. I have no idea what to expect. Vegas has it Arkansas -1.

expect sloppy as hell. if not arkansas loses by 20.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #40
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just got home from #8 UGA vs #11 Stanford women's hoops.

Say what you will about the women's college game, for less than $5 per game and only 20 minutes from my garage to my seat a few rows behind the visitors bench, it a pretty darned good bang for the entertainment dollar.

I went to an OU game last year and sat with my friend at his parents' seats courtside. Pretty cool. I need to start going more. My parents have OU mens and womens tickets for basketball and both my mom and dad enjoy the women more (of course, having an average men's team and a top 5 women's team may be part of it).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #41
MJ4H
Coordinator

Color me suprised, pleasantly. Arkansas has come out and actually looks comfortable for the first time in this tournament. Obviously the athleticism and size is bothering West Virginia a lot, but I think they will adjust. I'm very pleased with what I have seen so far, though (24-16 Arkansas with about 7:30 left in the first half).
Old 11-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #42
MJ4H
Coordinator

71-64 Arkansas wins. I'm very pleased with the showing. Offense looked much more comfortable than the previous two games. I suspect it has as much to do with West Virginia not playing as good of defense as Marist and Southern Illinois did, but it was encouraging anyway.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #43
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
71-64 Arkansas wins. I'm very pleased with the showing. Offense looked much more comfortable than the previous two games. I suspect it has as much to do with West Virginia not playing as good of defense as Marist and Southern Illinois did, but it was encouraging anyway.

Yikes. I haven't watched Marist or Southern Illinois yet this year, but I hope we play better D than them.

WVU had an off-day shooting, and the young guys starting playing impatiently once they were down some. Arkansas's D was definitely the best they've seen so far this year, and they deserve credit for getting West Virginia away from their gameplan offensively.

All things considered, WVU came out of the tournament looking a little better than I thought they'd be, and they got some valuable experience against a good, athletic team in Arkansas that should help them prepare for Big East play.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #44
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Yikes. I haven't watched Marist or Southern Illinois yet this year, but I hope we play better D than them.

WVU had an off-day shooting, and the young guys starting playing impatiently once they were down some. Arkansas's D was definitely the best they've seen so far this year, and they deserve credit for getting West Virginia away from their gameplan offensively.

All things considered, WVU came out of the tournament looking a little better than I thought they'd be, and they got some valuable experience against a good, athletic team in Arkansas that should help them prepare for Big East play.

Agreed about WVU playing much better than expected. Arkansas' defense was really tough and they did a good job of stretching us out.

This tournament really raised my interest in their season, as I am liking their athleticism on defense and their shooting, although not great vs Arkansas, is better than I expected. I think we'll still struggle against bigger teams, but I'll be surprised if we don't pull off a few "upsets" in the BE this season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #45
miami_fan
Coordinator

ACC/Big Ten Challenge

I missed this yesterday but the Challenge has begun with NC State remaining undefeated under Sidney Lowe by beating Michigan 74-67. Tonight, there are five games.

Maryland at Illinois
FSU at WIsconsin
Penn St at Georgia Tech
Indiana at Duke
Miami at Northwestern
Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #46
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Can't forget Virginia at Purdue right? That game is Wednesday.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #47
miami_fan
Coordinator

Of course not! But we will worry about tomorrow night...... tomorrow night
Old 11-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #48
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Maryland, Duke, and Georgia Tech win for the ACC, while Northwestern and Wisconsin carry the water for the Big 10. ACC leads 4-2 with five games to go, meaning the Big 10 will need a near sweep tomorrow to avoid yet another overall loss in the series.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:59 AM   #49
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wisconsin impressed me yesterday. It was the first time I saw them play this year and I have liked the way FSU has played so far this season. I like Tucker's game a lot. As far the Canes, once again they get absolutely nothing from anyone else on the team besides McClinton. They are a young team with only three seniors but I expected a bit more from Anthony Harris.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:31 AM   #50
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Penn State gave Georgia Tech a game.. That was a bigtime surprise along with Northwestern winning. I will be at the Purdue/Virginia game tonight. Should be a decent game.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote