Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

College Football Official Week 3 Thread

Better than last week, that's for sure.

Here's what I have as high-level competitive games for this week.

Tonight:
#6 Houston v. Cincinnati

Friday:
Arizona St. v. UT-San Antonio... UTSA must've shelled out for this one.

Saturday:
#2 Florida St. v. #10 Louisville
North Dakota St. v. #13 Iowa
Pittsburgh v. Oklahoma St.
#25 Miami v. Appalachian State
#1 Alabama v. #19 Ole Miss
#22 Oregon v. Nebraska
#17 Texas A&M v. Auburn
#12 Michigan St. v. #18 Notre Dame
#3 Ohio St. v. #14 Oklahoma
USC v. #7 Stanford
#11 Texas v. California

Miami with the rare ACC road game @ a non-Power 5 school. NC State went on the road last week to East Carolina and lost. East Carolina @ South Carolina this week, another game I have the Pirates winning. SCAR is bad. Real bad.

Ole Miss going for the hat trick over 'Bama.

Personally, I think Ohio State crushes Oklahoma, but still not sure about Ohio State's defense... this one will show us a lot.

Last edited by Butter : 09-15-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa hosts FCS power NDSU this weekend. I will be in town for the gsme. But I wont be going. Going to hang with my brother and watch at his house.

Im worried this will be a trap game. But hopefully Iowa shows more on defense and shuts them down.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa hosts FCS power NDSU this weekend. I will be in town for the gsme. But I wont be going. Going to hang with my brother and watch at his house.

Im worried this will be a trap game. But hopefully Iowa shows more on defense and shuts them down.

You're giving too much credit to Rutgers next week.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Even though BYU has looked terrible and UCLA looks meh, I'm not confident that this years UCLA team is mentally strong to win in Provo. Hope I'm wrong
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Even though BYU has looked terrible and UCLA looks meh, I'm not confident that this years UCLA team is mentally strong to win in Provo. Hope I'm wrong

We need to get the offense in gear, it was efficient against U of A, but penalties killed two big runs by Jamaal deep into the red zone. He is the key by the way, he needs to get closer to the 29 carries he had against the Wildcats and not the 12 against Utah. That was by far Taysom's worst game since his sophomore year and while Utah has the best defense we will see this season, there is still no excuse for that from a veteran QB.

Defense has been a pleasant surprise for me giving up 1 TD to Arizona and 2 to Utah should be enough to be 2-0 right now. Francis Bernard moving from RB to OLB has given BYU two LB's that play well in space (Fred Warner the other) with Pau'u being solid in the middle. The issue right now is line play, where Travis Tuiloma being out hurts the run defense and one of the young corner opposite Michael Davis needs to step up. Losing Nacua to the bullshit targeting call for the first half hurts too.

Hopefully BYU can control the ball, get some pressure on Rosen and stay even for the first half, if they do I like their chances.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
We need to get the offense in gear, it was efficient against U of A, but penalties killed two big runs by Jamaal deep into the red zone. He is the key by the way, he needs to get closer to the 29 carries he had against the Wildcats and not the 12 against Utah. That was by far Taysom's worst game since his sophomore year and while Utah has the best defense we will see this season, there is still no excuse for that from a veteran QB.

Defense has been a pleasant surprise for me giving up 1 TD to Arizona and 2 to Utah should be enough to be 2-0 right now. Francis Bernard moving from RB to OLB has given BYU two LB's that play well in space (Fred Warner the other) with Pau'u being solid in the middle. The issue right now is line play, where Travis Tuiloma being out hurts the run defense and one of the young corner opposite Michael Davis needs to step up. Losing Nacua to the bullshit targeting call for the first half hurts too.

Hopefully BYU can control the ball, get some pressure on Rosen and stay even for the first half, if they do I like their chances.

I agree with you here. Our defense is playing awesome. There is a lot of head butting going on right now in regards to Tuiloma. Kalani is trying to get him in, but Kafusi is treating it with kids gloves right now as he thinks Travis has a legit shot on playing on Sundays.

Our OL is the weak spot right now. Our offense played like they were supposed to against UofA. Utah's defense will shock a lot of teams in the PAC this season and should come out as one of the top defenses in the country, so I am pleased with how we were able to move. Taysom just played ugly.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

Watching Arizona struggle against Grambling for a half doesn't give me much hope in BYU considering their squeaker win over UA a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by Butter : 09-15-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Watching Arizona struggle against Grambling for a half doesn't give me much hope in BYU considering their squeaker win over UA a couple of weeks ago.

I'll write that off as a trap game and they will be better when Soloman gets back. BYU really controlled that entire game and shot themselves in the foot at key times. U of A sleep walked trough the first half offensively and is probably lucky Grambling's QB got hurt. That kind of stuff always happens the first two weeks of the season, look at Tennessee and Clemson struggling with App state and Troy.

Utah's defensive line is the among the top 2 or 3 in the country, as much as it pains me to say that.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 09-15-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

BYU fan takes on going for 2 at the end of the Utah game?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

No game for IU this weekend, so I think my primary game with be the MSU/ND game. Go Spartans!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

I haven't seen that written about Utah's D but even if it's true, they just lost Fitts for the year.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Based upon the situation...on the road, rivalry game, your OL has been getting beat all game, your without your starting RB and a FS from a bullshit targeting call and your starting CB (injury) and backup corner (Legit targeting call) and going against a team with a top notch kicker...I do it.

If I had any semblance of an OL and my starting FS and backup CB..I would go for the tie.

I am fine with Kalani's decision...but I have blinders on with anything he does at BYU right now.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 09-15-2016 at 01:29 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

This is the type of game that Big Game Bob and his Sooners pull out. I like OU over the Bucks. They'll be mad and ready to avenge the UH loss. Then they'll go and lose to Baylor or Texas or something.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Its darn near criminal that FSU and Louisville are playing at 12.
That is shaping up to essentially be a quarter-final NC game. and half the darn country will miss it.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Based upon the situation...on the road, rivalry game, your OL has been getting beat all game, your without your starting RB and a FS from a bullshit targeting call and your starting CB (injury) and backup corner (Legit targeting call) and going against a team with a top notch kicker...I do it.

If I had any semblance of an OL and my starting FS and backup CB..I would go for the tie.

I am fine with Kalani's decision...but I have blinders on with anything he does at BYU right now.

I am good with it too since it is on the road and based on what Dennis says above, my only disagreement was the call. I would have preferred to see them call something that gets Hill to the edge and gives him a run/pass option.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
Butter
Coordinator

Agreed, I thought the play call itself sucked.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #17
tarcone
Coordinator

There are some really good games on Saturday

Old 09-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #18
Suicane75
Coordinator

Why does Tommy Tubberville look like he's always smelling a fart?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #19
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

A trap game between Iowa State and Rutgers? Sarcasm?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

I think he just means they wont be taking them too seriously because they're NDSU.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #21
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
No game for IU this weekend, so I think my primary game with be the MSU/ND game. Go Spartans!

I'm watching the shit out of the FSU/Louisville game.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #22
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I think he just means they wont be taking them too seriously because they're NDSU.

This.

Im worried. I think we could lose. Iowa is the highest rated team NDSU has ever played. They play a similar style to us. We dont throw the ball deep a lot which plays into the Bisons hands.

Im hoping we show more defensively. We have been real vanilla so far.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

How far does Houston drop if they lose? 20?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How far does Houston drop if they lose? 20?

If they lose, they better hope a BUNCH of ranked teams lose this week as well.

Otherwise, yeah, 20-25 is probably about the best they can hope for next week.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:15 PM   #25
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I haven't seen that written about Utah's D but even if it's true, they just lost Fitts for the year.

They are the strength of that defense and their talent it will be apparent as the season unfolds. Lowell Lotulelei is a 1st round NFL pick and even though losing Fitts hurts them, it won't be a big drop at DE with Pita Taumoepenu stepping and the other starter at DE Hunter Dimick is the best of the three, great motor. Mokofisi inside with Lotulelei is a stout run stopper too.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

There's no way you actually have all these spellings memorized right? You keep a copy of the roster within arm's reach at all times?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #27
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #28
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm surprised that there's little mention(here and elsewhere) of Colorado @ Michigan. Yeah, Colorado hasn't played anyone yet but neither has Michigan and both have taken care of their business the way you'd expect. I think it's a better matchup, and quite possibly a better game, than some of those listed(no disrespect to the OP).

Am I full of it?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:01 AM   #29
Suicane75
Coordinator

I personally think Col/Mich is going to be a great game. Colorado is a veteran team with A really good QB.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

Colorado has sucked for years and years. Until they show anyone some kind of backbone, they don't deserve any respect. I mean they haven't even been to a bowl since 2007, nearly 10 years.

Meanwhile, Michigan is doing what Harbaugh teams do, they chew up and spit out mediocre competition. 42-7, 51-14, 38-6. I expect a Michigan 21+ point win, personally. Thus making it not worthy of mention... for me.

Last edited by Butter : 09-16-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #31
tarcone
Coordinator

Col/Mich is the game I really want to see, also.
See if either team is for real.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #32
bob
College Starter

I really really wish Louisville / FSU wasn't at noon.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #33
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
There's no way you actually have all these spellings memorized right? You keep a copy of the roster within arm's reach at all times?

Being a fan of BYU and watching Utah, plus growing up here, you tend to know how to spell and say a lot of Polynesian names without even thinking about it.

Most of the time, I get them right, BYU 14 still has a little local in him...
Old 09-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

UCLA assistant Adrian Klemm gets show-cause penalty for NCAA violations
Old 09-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #35
Suicane75
Coordinator

Here's a prime example of why I love college football. Arkansas State, whose been pretty good for the past couple of years, have been knocked around in their first two games by very tough Toledo & Auburn teams. Tonight they travel to Utah State and I'm genuinely intrigued to see if those first two games were just talent mismatches and if they still have something left in the tank. To me it's not all about Bama, Michigan etc every week. I love latching on and following the lesser teams and lesser conferences. There's so much great football all over the country.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #36
MrBug708
Head Coach

He's already served his penalty and this really adds nothing else to it. He was suspended last year
Old 09-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Here's a prime example of why I love college football. Arkansas State, whose been pretty good for the past couple of years, have been knocked around in their first two games by very tough Toledo & Auburn teams. Tonight they travel to Utah State and I'm genuinely intrigued to see if those first two games were just talent mismatches and if they still have something left in the tank. To me it's not all about Bama, Michigan etc every week. I love latching on and following the lesser teams and lesser conferences. There's so much great football all over the country.

I'm with you. Two of my most interesting games this week are Arizona State-UTSA due to the weirdness of a P5 school going there... and Miami-App State for similar reasons.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:32 AM   #38
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Being a fan of BYU and watching Utah, plus growing up here, you tend to know how to spell and say a lot of Polynesian names without even thinking about it.

Most of the time, I get them right, BYU 14 still has a little local in him...

Plus the Polynesian alphabet has less letters, just have to sound them out.

But yeah, I have to cheat and peek sometimes
Old 09-17-2016, 06:16 AM   #39
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm with you. Two of my most interesting games this week are Arizona State-UTSA due to the weirdness of a P5 school going there... and Miami-App State for similar reasons.

Arizona State squeaks it out with a 4 point win.

Last edited by Butter : 09-17-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #40
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina. coming off an easy win, travels to Alabama today to take on perhaps their toughest opponent on their schedule, Jacksonville State. They were runners up in the FCS last year, and are ranked #4 there now after a loss to LSU. It will be interesting to see how far CCU has progressed in their transition to the Sun Belt.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #41
miked
College Starter

Rice marching band forms an "IX" while playing Baylor. Not as funny as the KSU/KU game last year, but bands are making the news these days.

Rice marching band references Baylor rape scandal (photos) | SI.com
Old 09-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #42
kingfc22
Head Coach

Lamar Jackson looking to lock down the Heisman early
Old 09-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #43
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Colorado has sucked for years and years. Until they show anyone some kind of backbone, they don't deserve any respect. I mean they haven't even been to a bowl since 2007, nearly 10 years.

Meanwhile, Michigan is doing what Harbaugh teams do, they chew up and spit out mediocre competition. 42-7, 51-14, 38-6. I expect a Michigan 21+ point win, personally. Thus making it not worthy of mention... for me.

Pretty much this and this is coming from a CU fan. I would honestly be happy with another good showing here, even in a loss. I do think for the first time in a long time, that CU finally has turned the corner. I think they are back on the rise and the talent level (especially on defense) is pretty good. Good enough to give Michigan a game? I doubt it. I'll be watching and cheering, but I doubt it. CU has had a miracle at Michigan before. . .
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #44
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Lamar Jackson looking to lock down the Heisman early

We'll see when Florida State wakes up in the second half. They don't seem to give a crap until they are behind by at least 20 points.

68 yards passing, 54 yards rushing, 2TD. In the first quarter. Yeah, he's pretty good.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #45
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Lousy job by the replay crew on that play. Replay shows the runner's knee down before the ball was in, yet they say replay confirms the call on the field of a touchdown. Why even have replay when something clear cut is overlooked?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #46
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Oh woodshed, my woodshed.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #47
General Mike
Pro Starter

Rough first quarter for Rutgers, very good 2nd quarter.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #48
TroyF
Coordinator

Well, he got an incredibly lucky play toward the end of the first half, but that in no way wipes out how ridiculous of a first that was from the Cardinals.

Jackson has 180 yards passing, 94 yards rushing and 4 TD (3 rushing, 1 throwing)

As a team, Louisville is outgaining Florida St 375 to 142.

Floida St. is famous for these types of games. Look like garbage and then come out after halftime and maul teams. I'm not sure they are going to be able to do it against this kid. We'll see.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #49
TroyF
Coordinator

Well, so much for coming out and starting off hot like they have in the past. 3 and out, punt return TD, down 42-10. I thought Louisville had a shot tonight. I did not expect this at all.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #50
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Flipping around to other games and I see that Wisconsin is finally on the cutting edge of 1992.

Is Tennessee really this bad? 14-12 over Ohio in the 3rd?

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 09-17-2016 at 01:27 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote