Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
College Football Week 14 (Conference Championship Week) discussion

Tonight kicks off the weekend of games that will determine conference champions.

Oregon State at Oregon (Pac 10)
Ohio v. Central Michigan (MAC)
Houston v. East Carolina (Conference USA)
Cincinnati at Pitt (Big East)
Florida v. Alabama (SEC)
Texas v. Nebraska (Big 12)
Georgia Tech v. Clemson (ACC)
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If Nebraska somehow pulls off the upset the BCS bowls will get very interesting. It could end up with only one team each for the Big 10, ACC, Pac 10 and Big East and possibly TCU in the title game.

If Cincy loses how far in prestige will they drop for their bowl game? No way they get a BCS bid, but do they even play in a second tier bowl?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If Nebraska somehow pulls off the upset the BCS bowls will get very interesting. It could end up with only one team each for the Big 10, ACC, Pac 10 and Big East and possibly TCU in the title game.

If Cincy loses how far in prestige will they drop for their bowl game? No way they get a BCS bid, but do they even play in a second tier bowl?

Crazy that if Pitt had beaten WVU like they should have, a Cincy loss to Pitt could've possibly meant two BCS games for the Big East. Now though, they will probably end up at the Meineke (#3 for the BE) unless the buzz is so great with Bowden and the Gator Bowl that they don't feel they need the WVU gate and Cincy ends up there.

Very sad for me that I started out the season thinking that Week 1 would decide the Big East championship (Rutgers hosting Cincy), and it ended up being Week 14.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
timmynausea
College Starter

As a WVU fan, I'm pretty concerned about the Rutgers game this week. The Scarlet Knights haven't beaten West Virginia since 1994, but I don't like:

1. Coming off a big win over Pitt, WVU is due for a hangover.

2. Every media outlet is reporting that it's more or less settled - WVU will go to the Gator Bowl win or lose. I don't know if it's completely true or not, but even if it is, I'd rather the team feel like there's something to play for and not have the Bobby Bowden bowl talk be a huge distraction.

3. The game is at Rutgers. WVU is 1-3 on the road this year.

Last edited by timmynausea : 12-03-2009 at 10:46 AM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

If Nebraska wins, Boise doesn't go to a BCS game. You end up with 2 from the SEC, 2 from the Big 12 and 2 from the Big 10, plus an ACC, Big East, Pac Ten and TCU.

I think there is a small chance that Boise gets left out even if Texas wins. It would require USC getting up into the top 14. For that to happen, they have to pass BYU outright and need Clemson, Oregon and Cincy to win, to pass GT, OSU and Pitt.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
2. Every media outlet is reporting that it's more or less settled - WVU will go to the Gator Bowl win or lose. I don't know if it's completely true or not, but even if it is, I'd rather the team feel like there's something to play for and not have the Bobby Bowden bowl talk be a huge distraction.
I can see how the bowl talk might lead to a letdown, but what does Bobby Bowden possibly mean to these kids? This isn't a coach that recruited them then left last year - they weren't alive when he was at WVU.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
As a WVU fan, I'm pretty concerned about the Rutgers game this week. The Scarlet Knights haven't beaten West Virginia since 1994, but I don't like:

1. Coming off a big win over Pitt, WVU is due for a hangover.

3. The game is at Rutgers. WVU is 1-3 on the road this year.

I'm feeling fairly confident, which is amazing considering how badly you guys have beaten us in the past. I like where the offense is at, and my comfort on defense is based on 2006 Jarrett Brown being much more effective than the current version, in my limited opinion.

Always fun when these teams get together, as Atopec said. I would just love for it to finally be dry for this game. We've played you in so many monsoons in recent years. I'm hopping a train from DC tomorrow night just to head back down here Sunday morning so I'm hoping it's worth the trip.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol, so true Logan.

I've been to a few of the WVU games with my dad the past few years and it has poured every time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
If Nebraska wins, Boise doesn't go to a BCS game. You end up with 2 from the SEC, 2 from the Big 12 and 2 from the Big 10, plus an ACC, Big East, Pac Ten and TCU.

I think there is a small chance that Boise gets left out even if Texas wins. It would require USC getting up into the top 14. For that to happen, they have to pass BYU outright and need Clemson, Oregon and Cincy to win, to pass GT, OSU and Pitt.

I'm not so sure about Boise. They have a track record that could get them into a BCS game, especially over another Big Ten team. I could see TCU being left out if they were swapped with Boise in the rankings, but it wouldn't at all surprise me to see Boise given the lack of quality second place teams outside of the SEC.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I can see how the bowl talk might lead to a letdown, but what does Bobby Bowden possibly mean to these kids? This isn't a coach that recruited them then left last year - they weren't alive when he was at WVU.

Bobby Bowden probably doesn't mean much to the kids. It just made the bowl talk a national news story with everyone involved pretty much saying WVU and FSU to the Gator was a done deal and already trying to hype that storyline. Had Bowden not announced his retirement, I doubt much of this would've been talked about it, and all the WVU people would be saying we need to beat Rutgers to lock up the Gator or etc.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Old 12-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm feeling fairly confident, which is amazing considering how badly you guys have beaten us in the past. I like where the offense is at, and my comfort on defense is based on 2006 Jarrett Brown being much more effective than the current version, in my limited opinion.

Always fun when these teams get together, as Atopec said. I would just love for it to finally be dry for this game. We've played you in so many monsoons in recent years. I'm hopping a train from DC tomorrow night just to head back down here Sunday morning so I'm hoping it's worth the trip.

JB's concussion was worse than he let on. He's played much better the past two games, but the offense has been dialed back because our interior lineman can't pass block. WVU's offense really comes down to how much protection JB gets. If he gets time then WVU can throw the ball down the field and open things up for Devine. If not, then WVU is hoping JB, Jock, or Devine do something on their own.

I really don't know what to expect with this one. The team has played with a sense of urgency it hasn't had since the Fiesta bowl the past couple weeks and the gameplanning has been top-notch. However, with the Gator bowl looking like a lock I'm not sure if the players are going to come out ready to play. If they do, I like this matchup for us.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Can't wait for the Big East Championship Game. I'll be there as I've been for the rest of Pitt's home games this year. My brother goes to Cincy and is coming down with his frat so even more reason to hope for a Pitt victory. Hopefully Pitt will come out inspired knowing that if they win it's a BCS bowl and if they lose it's Birmingham, Toronto or Detroit (with outside chance of Charlotte if WVU beats Rutgers). Should be a fun atmosphere, too, with Heinz Field sold out for the second game in a row.

Last edited by yacovfb : 12-03-2009 at 01:56 PM.
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
JB's concussion was worse than he let on. He's played much better the past two games, but the offense has been dialed back because our interior lineman can't pass block. WVU's offense really comes down to how much protection JB gets. If he gets time then WVU can throw the ball down the field and open things up for Devine. If not, then WVU is hoping JB, Jock, or Devine do something on their own.

I really don't know what to expect with this one. The team has played with a sense of urgency it hasn't had since the Fiesta bowl the past couple weeks and the gameplanning has been top-notch. However, with the Gator bowl looking like a lock I'm not sure if the players are going to come out ready to play. If they do, I like this matchup for us.

Introduce a new wrinkle offensively, and you'll wreak havoc. If you bring exactly what you show on film, Schiano will have the team prepared as the team is very disciplined when they know what to do. But as we know, he is shitty at making adjustments.

We also lead (or led) the country in turnover differential, something like +29, so protecting the ball is obviously important as we're good at taking advantage of mistakes. Where our shortcomings come into play (probably due to a mix of play calling and also an ineffective standard running game) is converting those points into turnovers. We've had way too many 3 and outs after a big TO.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Old 12-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Tonight's game is gonna be sweeeet. I think Oregon is headed for another blowout victory, although I'd love to see Oregon State win.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

Has there ever been a year where there were this many undefeated teams at this point? I can remember some years with 3 but never a year that could end with 5.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #19
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Probably worth posting here

Obituary: Serafino Dante 'Foge' Fazio / Head football coach at Pitt for 4 years in '80s
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Florida v. Alabama (SEC)

Please let 'Bama win because the sheer amount out butt kissing for Tebow will be legendary if he reaches the title game.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #22
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Please let 'Bama win because the sheer amount out butt kissing for Tebow will be legendary if he reaches the title game.

Went way past that 2 years ago.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #23
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Go Beavers! Fuck the Ducks!
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #24
Izulde
Head Coach

The Beavers can go to hell.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #25
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The Beavers can go to hell.
Besides the fact that the Oregon Ducks are the personification of all that is bad and evil in the world, I'm pulling for the Beavers because they haven't gone to a Rose Bowls since the 1964 season, I respect the hell out of what Mike Riley has accomplished there and I can't find any reason to not like Riley.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #26
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I can't find any reason to not like Riley.
Rumors have him considering the Notre Dame job.

(Yes, I know your reasons he'll never leave, and those rumors also have Bob Stoops+Urban Meyer considering the job and Brian Kelly already accepting it.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #27
Izulde
Head Coach

Oh it's nothing against Oregon State's football team. I just hate the slow fatfucks in the admissions office who have no idea what it means to process applications and application materials in a timely manner.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Erin Andrews looks like a gnome tonight. Good game so far for anyone not watching. Oregon State up 23-21 on Oregon at the half.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #29
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm enjoying this Oregon-OSU game.

It makes me sad that there is only one more weekend of games before bowl season. Although I do enjoy coach movement season (now that Rich Rod has left) and the final recuiting push.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #30
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The return of LeGarrette Blount!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #31
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wow... I was just looking at the wikipedia entry for the Rose Bowl and there are some interesting tidbits.

The Big 10 has not won a Rose Bowl since Jan 01, 2000 (Wisconsin beat Stanford).

Ohio State hasn't won or been in the Rose Bowl since 1997!

Even with only 1 Big 10 victory, the Pac 10 is still "only" 5-3 in the Rose Bowl in the past 10-years. USC has won the last 3 and also won in '04, with Washington being the other winner (in '01). Texas (twice), Oklahoma, and Miami have all been winners in the past 10-years.

Good bar bet: Which conference has the best record, in Rose Bowl games, over the past 10-years? The Big East is/was 1-0, with Miami beating Nebraska in 2002. The Big 12 also has a winning record at 3-1.

Last edited by Swaggs : 12-03-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a space
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #32
Radii
Head Coach

That was a hell of a 4th down conversion by the Oregon QB
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #33
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup. Hell of a play. 95% of QB's would have dove, or slid, or given up
Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #34
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Chip Kelly may go for this here. Oof. Let's see...
Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #35
Swaggs
Coordinator

Potentially, a barn burner finish...
Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #36
Swaggs
Coordinator

Big balls by Chip Kelly...

I thought they'd go for the points, but looks like he made the right call.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #37
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Game ova. Nice effort by the Beavs. They blew it in the red zone a few times.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #38
Swaggs
Coordinator

SOB... was there an NFL game on tonight and I totally missed it?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ball game
Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

Why was the clock running after the 3rd down run by James? Didn't he stretch for the 1st while jumping out of bounds?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #41
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Game ova. Nice effort by the Beavs. They blew it in the red zone a few times.

Yeah, this game could have been over by halftime but the Beavers just couldn't execute in the red zone in the first half. I see this Oregon offense putting up a LOT of points on OSU, should be another shootout. Wonder if Tressel can adjust his game or if they'll play conservative and get blown out.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #42
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Why was the clock running after the 3rd down run by James? Didn't he stretch for the 1st while jumping out of bounds?

That was a very interesting play, the ESPN clock stopped and then they had to catch it up with the game clock which was still running. I guess the ruling was that Kristick contacted him in bounds but I would have liked to see it again. In the grand scheme of things didn't matter anyway once they got the 1st.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #43
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I wouldn't be surprised to see PSU end up in the Orange Bowl unless Texas gets upset.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #44
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

So the wife and I are down in Tampa for the gae tomorrow and Ill be damned if it aint raining and colder than back home...damn you Florida weather.

Oh, John I will try to post once or twice from the gamejust for you
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #45
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Tailgate is set up.
Satellite dialed in.
Waiting on SEC game before ours.
Of course it is mid 50s in Tampa, which sucks...I was hoping for 70s and my shorts prove it.

1-2-3-4
1-2-3-4
C
L
E
M
S
O
N
T
I
G
E
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
S
FIGHT TIGERS, FIGHT TIGERS, FIGHT LIKE HELL DAMMIT AND WIN!
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #46
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Have fun CU!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #47
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sigh

nothing has changed for Rutgers against WVU
Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hope Tampa is lovely for you CU.
Hope the game sucks for you, but that the trip is nice otherwise
Old 12-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #49
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good to see Devine get an easy TD for once!

This is going to be a tough one -- hopefully our defense doesn't get confused by Rutgers' offense.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #50
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Cincinnati is running into more than just a snow storm. 21-10 Pitt and there's a feeding frenzy vibe to the game. Fans see blood in the water. And Pike just threw a INT.