Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #1
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

The Carlsberg Dynasty

Part 1 The plan

The idea was born several years earlier, when Mr. Andersen CEO of Carlsberg was in the US during Soccer World Cup 1994. By coincident he stumbled across an article in a US newspaper, stating that American football-fans was the most beer consuming sports fans in the world. Mr Andersen found that information strange. How could that non-tasting, flat,
piss-warm, overpriced beer served around American sports arenas be that popular?

That evening back at the hotel in New York Mr Andersen could not get any rest. Not even the expensive call-girl, (or professional secretary as he would call it on the travel expenses-form later to be filled inn), from the bar had been to any help. In his, some would say twisted, mind a brilliant plan was coming together.

And that’s how a small piece of text in a small midt-west local paper was to change the future of the great American sport football.

This was a match made in heaven. Properly the best beer in the world. Properly the best show in the world (or whatever they called it up in St Louis). This was the place for Carlsberg to be.

The planning was made in the dark winter nights back in Denmark. And they were sensational. Buy an American football team and use that as the ticket in to the American market. On paper it was such a simple task. Between 600 - 800.000.000 USD was all I took. Some of the biggest cooperate companies in Scandinavia was secretly brought together to iron out a plan.

And 9 years after the small paragraph in the paper it all began. All the way from the beginning there was only one team. It was a perfect match. Minnesota with a big Scandinavian population. And if Minnesota became to small, there was always the possibility to move out west to LA. A conference with teams from huge markets (Chicago and Detroit). And perhaps the most important, the name Vikings.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Secret memo 10/01/2003
Subject: Secret project “Return of the Vikings”

All parts now agree upon the financial plan. The new owner structure will be as descript:

Carlsberg (Denmark) 51% 271,320,000USD
Novo Nordisk (Denmark) 20% 106,400,000USD
Volvo (Sweden) 20% 106,400,000USD
Orkla (Norway) 9% 47,880,000USD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Total price 532,000,000 USD

The takeover will be announced directly after Super Bowl XXXVII. The front office of today’s Minnesota Vikings will remain intact and help us to a problem free transition period.
No major staff or player changes will be made before seesason 2003. Due to the heavy cost of this project, no new stadium or other cost-heavy project will be taken on in the near futher.
The name of the owner group will from today be CNVO Football.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

That was the simple plan and it all looked good on paper. But as it goes “something is rotten in the state of Denmark”.

Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Part 2 A bump in the road

The rumours began weeks before Super Bowl weekend. A major takeover was on the way. And the rumour went on to describe how outsiders was trying to force their way in to the holiest of all places. The NFL. For some reason, some of the rumours could be traced back to Budweiser.

At the same time the Raiders was humiliated by Tamper Bay in front of the hole world, on a secret location another place in San Diego a memo was ready to be sent by e-mail back to CNVO HQ in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Date: Super Bowl weekend
Place: San Diego, CA
Internal memo from meeting between CNVO Football and Minnesota Vikings.

We are sorry to announce that the deal between Ministta Vikings and CNVO Football has been put on hold due to last minute obstacles between the two parts. We will continue to work toward a takeover but now on a later date.

We hope to be able to close the deal before this years NFL draft, but must consider that the annual NFL draft will go ahead without CNVO Football having any influence on the picks. This is of cause a major setback, but one we hope to be able to set straight on a later date.

For the next weeks everyons attention was focused on the forthcoming draft. But behind the scène frantic meeting activity was taking place and some serious frequent flyer miles was collected. By now the companies behind CNVO had invested a huge amount of time and money in the project, and failure to close the deal was no longer an option. But before the final deal was ready to be announced a lot of compromises were to be made.

Memo to CEO of CNVO Football
Subject: NFL Draft 2003.
The following players were selected by MIN in the 2003 NFL draft.

Smith, Onterrio 44 RB 5-11 205 08/12/1980 Oregon
Burleson, Nate 80 FL 6-1 188 10/13/1979 Nevada
Howry, Keenan 88 FL 5-10 170 10/04/1980Oregon
Johnson, Eddie 14 P 6-1 208 04/26/1979 Clemson
Williams, Kevin 90 LDT 6-4 301 10/06/1980 Oklahoma St
Henderson, E.J. 93 MLB 6-2 250 06/27/1979 Maryland

All players have been signed to contracts between 2 and 5 years.

We are to this point uncertain if some of these players have been selected only to upset the ongoing takeover.

On the positive side can we report that 62000 season tickets have been sold for the coming season.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:18 PM   #3
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Part 3 Seal the deal
7 weeks to kick-off for the Vikings in Chicago and only two weeks before exhibition games was about to beginne. The fact that Minnesota Vikings was calling a press conference was not unusual. For most journalists this was just an opportunity to get a free lunch. No one coming to the Vikings press center that day was expecting to hear the front office explain why Kevin William (# 1 draft pick) was a total bust, this was most likely just going to be the normal chitchat. A small column in the back of the papers.

But from the minute they stepped in the doors in the press centre something was different. The blond babes in short green skirts serving real beer in green bottles was the first sign. All the well-known faces of the Vikings front office were no-shows, only blond babes! This was definitely a change for the better, but there was something strange about the girl’s accent. The press conference opened with a video-show of highlights from last years Vikings team. When the light went back on, a gasp went true the audience. On centre stage a huge beer bottle came raising up true the floor with a small man on top. When he stared talking, his accent was just like the beer-girls.

This is the transcript from the press conference:

God morning and welcome to this press conference on behalf of Minnesota Vikings and Carlsberg . My Name is Mr Andersen Jr. I’m the vice-president of CNVO, the new owners of Minnesota Vikings.

By now the room was in a state of shock and nothing could have prepare them for what was about to happen.

In the next 15 minutes I will inform you of a few changes that has been made to this organization over night. After the presentation, each of you will have the opportunity to ask one question.

As I just said, we have made some big changes over night. CNVO has gained full control over Minnesota Vikings and will from today be in charge of the whole operation around the football team. Full details of the economic aspect of this deal will be handed out when you leave today. Negotiations between the previous owners and CNVO have been tough, and both parts have made big sacrifices. Competent people from CNVO have taken over all key roles from today. It’s therefore my pleasure to introduce you to the new GM of Minnesota Vikings. Please welcome Mr T Northwood.

The room was absolutely quiet!! The only thing you could hear was the blond babes opening more beers.

Mr Northwood will have a very active role in everything around this team. From ticket prices to free agents and all the way down to the sideline and the playbook. Mr Northwood has no experience as a GM or coach in NFL or any other football league from before. But he has spent the last 6-month looked up in a room with only a copy of FOF4 and the book “football for dummies”, and we are sure he will do a great job. He will get all the help he needs from coach Harry Ball and scout Xavier Brewer who have chosen to stay onboard.

One reporter had finally regained enough control to shout out a question.

“ Does that mean that this Norwould-guy will be calling plays from the sideline??”

Thank you for your one question today Sir. First the name was Northwood. And yes he will definitely be calling plays. Not all the plays in every games, but Mr Northwood feels he need to get hands on, if this is to be a success. I want to add that this has nothing to do with lack of confidence to coach Ball, and Mr Northwood and coach Ball has already sat down to start working on the gameplan.

And that brings me to the next part. We have had long talks with the previous owners and players the last couple of moths. And for this deal to be a reality CNVO has agreed to commit to some very tuff demands. They are as follows:

1) The Vikings must never leave Minnesota
2) CNVO can not raise ticket prices before a new
stadium is build
3) CNVO must cover all cost of a new stadium

And finally

4) Every player currently under contract with the Vikings
will be granted a free release from his contract if he
wishes so (last day this Friday). We want to start from
scratch with players dedicated to this project.

When order was restorer 20minuts later the place looked like a battlefield. The police took several journalists away in handcuffs, and some of the younger reporters were openly crying. It was a sad thing to watch. Never had a team went from title contender to cannon food that fast. The only thing that helped ease the pain was the cold beer still being served.

We fully understand that fans and supporters of the great Minnesota Vikings can be upset, but we are sure that you will be able to watch great football in Minnesota again in the near future. To all of you who have already picked up season ticket we have a few surprises. Volvo will give away a car (V70) to a happy season ticket owner at every home game. For halftime shows we have already signed contract with NKOTB, Tiffany, the cast from BH90210 and the survivor from the Las Vegas Sigfrid and Roy show. Everyone that have purched jerseys with names of players leaving the club, will get at new one (with the new Carlsberg logo) free of charge. But perhaps the biggest surprise is that everyone with a season ticket gets free Carlsberg beer at every home game.

Mr Andersen Jr went on for another 15minuts before he noticed that the room was empty. The remaining journalist had finally given up on his accent and was now sitting in the bar crying over an ice-cold Carlsberg.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:05 AM   #4
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Part 4 The team

Mr Northwood:
OK now we can get to work. Have we got the final list, witch players deciding to leave us? Lets get all the names up on the board so we can see what we have to work with. Lets start on offence.

Coach Ball:
Daunte has left us. That’s not a big surprise, but he was our guy for the future, we will miss him.

Mr Northwood:
I agree, but you can’t blame him. He will properly get a huge contract with another top team.

Coach Ball:
Gus and Shaun have decided to stay. But to be honest, they had nowhere to go.

Mr Northwood:
That means that we need a new QB. Any names coach?

Coach Ball:
To be honest sir when I look at the list I rather pick between sleeping with my mother or sister.

Mr Northwood:
I understand coach, but that’s part of your privet life you don’t need to sheerer. If I say we can choose between Rodney Howard, Jamal Cobb and Marshall Floyd, when what?

Coach Ball (with tears in his eyes):
Lets try Butch Jefferson from Notre Dame.

Mr Northwood:
OK you decide coach. But I have to say that I don’t like to have a QB on my team called Butch. But you decide. Lets have a look at our RB.

Coach Ball:
Bennett and our 4 round pick Onterio Smith is gone. Lets try to get Dee Bown from Syracuse.

Mr Northwood:
Here we go. That was another easy pick. We are ok on FB. Our starting TE Mr. Goodwin has left us. Lets wait and see if we need to replace him. I got faith in Byron Chamberlain. As I understand we had 9 WR under contract!! How many have we got left?

Coach Ball:
We are stuck with all the guys we planed to cut. And by the way, what’s happening to Randy Moss?

Mr Northwood:
We have been able to cut a deal with Randy and Chris Claiborne. They will be traded ASAP. We simply cannot afford to cut them lose and we need the extra draft picks next year. Clairbone is boarding a privet jet as we speak on this way to Carolina. They gave up a # 2 pick next year. We are still working on the Moss deal.
That concludes the backfield. Lets have another beer and get to work on the offensive line. We are actually left with a peaty decent team of returners, but what about the rest?

Coach Ball:
3 guys left us. We will need at least 2 more tackles.

Mr Northwood:
Not anymore. We have picked up 3 undrafted players earlier today. Let me introduce to you, Gabe Hubble, Graham Wagner and C.J Dawson.
We also made some changes in the K and P department, but I think they will be fine.
And now defence. As we agreed coach, you have had free hands to sign new players on defence. Show me what we got for our money.

Coach Bell:
This is the list

Player # Pos Exp Current Future Cntrct
$$Mixon, Kenny 79 LDE 6 34 36 5 yrs.
Ferrara, Frank 95 LDE 3 29 29 1 yr.
$$Hovan, Chris 99 LDT 4 54 68 2 yrs.
Williams, Kevin 90 LDT 1 20 32 6 yrs.
$$Robbins, Fred 75 RDT 4 24 35 2 yrs.
Barton, Bruce 91 RDT 1 17 32 1 yr.
Johnstone, Lance 51 RDE 8 37 38 4 yrs.
Wells, Tyrone 94 RDE 1 20 37 1 yr.
$$Hall, Lemanski 55 SLB 9 14 17 1 yr.
Vance, Skip 58 SILB 1 12 26 1 yr.
$$Yates, Max 96 MLB 2 12 28 1 yr.
Nicholas, Stephen93 WILB 1 18 31 1 yr.
Nattiel, Mike 56 WLB 1 26 52 3 yrs.
Smith, Raonall 57 WLB 2 20 39 4 yrs.
$$Wilson, Antonio59 WLB 3 18 33 1 yr.
$$Kelly, Eric 25 LCB 3 24 31 3 yrs.
Williams, Brian 29 LCB 2 24 41 4 yrs.
Tovar, Moe 48 LCB 1 14 31 1 yr.
$$Irvin, Ken 27 RCB 9 20 24 1 yr.
Bronson, Tyrus 41 RCB 1 14 37 1 yr.
$$Walker, Brian 49 SS 8 39 40 1 yr.
Mikell, Quintin 31 SS 1 30 55 1 yr.
$$Israel, Ron 32 FS 2 19 37 1 yr.
Brewer, Jack 42 FS 2 14 25 1 yr.

And it’s not good. We will get slaughtert this year. And this was suppose to be may chance to get a Super Bowl ring.

Mr Northwood:
Don’t worry coach. You have done a great job putting together a defence. It looks like we still got tree empty spots on our roster. I suggest we wait a few weeks, before we do anything. Lets see where we have our biggest needs.

Coach Bell:
I’m afraid we need a lot more then 3 empty spots to cover our needs.

Tears were now in Coach bells eyes and he had trouble speaking.

Mr Northwood:
Common coach. This is not your fault. Look at it his way. This year you can coach without any presser. No one will expect us to win a single game. Now, take another frame of beers and go home and get some sleep. I promise they will help you forget the pain.

When Coach Ball left the office he looked 30 years older. Mr Northwood called security, and ordered someone to sit guard outside the bedroom window of Coach Ball that night. “We don’t want him to do anything stupid”.

A total of 29 players were released. 1 was traded (2 as soon as the Randy Moos deal was ready) and 15 undrafted rookies were signed.

The exhibition weeks went according to plan. 3 losses and a surprising win over Buffalo Bills.

Week Opponent Result Attendance
Week 1 OPEN
Week 2 CLEVELAND BROWNS L, 13-24 62,700
Week 3 at Buffalo Bills W, 24-14 65,300
Week 4 TENNESSEE TITANS L, 13-34 62,700
Week 5 at Pittsburgh Steelers L, 14-45 63,200

Gus Freotte played the tree first games, but was sidelined against the Steelers with a concussion. 840 yards, 4 TD and 6 int was his result.

The last game was split between Jefferson and Hill.

Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd
Jefferson 20 8 83 4.1 15 0 1 1
Hill 14 10 183 13.0 76 2 0 4

The 3 remaining roster spots were filed by TE Lorenzo Diamond (the best Rookie left unsigned), SE Luther Sutton, a future replacement for Randy Moss, and SLB Chris Clemons.
With an average age of 25,8 years it was be fare the youngest team in NFL.

The final deep chart looked like this:

Player # Pos Exp Current Future Cntrct-
$$Frerotte, Gus 12 QB 10 22 29 1 yr.
Hill, Shaun 3 QB 2 8 28 1 yr.
Jefferson, Butch 18 QB 1 10 30 1 yr.
Chapman, Doug 34 RB 3 29 36 1 yr.
$$Williams, Moe 20 RB 8 32 37 2 yrs.
Brown, Dee 44 RB 2 34 42 1 yr.
$$Kleinsasser, Jim 40 FB 5 41 46 2 yrs.
Allen, Jeremy 47 FB 2 16 29 1 yr.
$$Chamberlain, Byron87 TE 9 45 45 5 yrs.
##Heffner-Liddiard, Brod43 TE 4 15 28 2 yrs.
Diamond, Lorenzo 89 TE 1 29 62 1 yr.
Davis, Nick 17 FL 2 19 29 1 yr.
##James, Cedric 86 FL 2 18 30 1 yr.
Howry, Keenan 88 FL 1 19 35 3 yrs.
$$Moss, Randy 84 SE 6 50 50 6 yrs.
$$Sutton, Luther 83 SE 1 25 53 1 yr.
$$Hubble, Gabe 72 LT 1 15 25 1 yr.
##Dawson, C.J. 64 LT 1 13 23 1 yr.
Lacina, Corbin 63 LG 10 19 20 3 yrs.
$$Lindsay, Everett 62 LG 9 20 20 1 yr.
$$Birk, Matt 78 C 6 47 68 7 yrs.
**Sandlin, Kenny 53 C 2 14 31 1 yr.
$$Dixon, David 71 RG 9 17 17 1 yr.
##White, Lorenzo 74 RG 2 6 8 1 yr.
$$Carman, Jon 65 RT 4 16 48 2 yrs.
Wagner, Graham 73 RT 1 14 29 1 yr.
Johnson, Eddie 14 P 1 45 70 3 yrs.
Ruffin, Jonathan 4 K 1 46 90 1 yr.
Ferrara, Frank 95 LDE 3 29 29 1 yr.
$$Mixon, Kenny 79 LDE 6 35 36 5 yrs.
$$Hovan, Chris 99 LDT 4 54 68 2 yrs.
Williams, Kevin 90 LDT 1 20 32 6 yrs.
$$Robbins, Fred 75 RDT 4 24 35 2 yrs.
##Barton, Bruce 91 RDT 1 17 32 1 yr.
$$Johnstone, Lance 51 RDE 8 37 38 4 yrs.
Wells, Tyrone 94 RDE 1 20 37 1 yr.
$$Hall, Lemanski 55 SLB 9 15 17 1 yr.
Clemons, Chris 52 SLB 1 15 36 1 yr.
##Vance, Skip 58 SILB 1 13 26 1 yr.
$$Yates, Max 96 MLB 2 12 28 1 yr.
Nicholas, Stephen 93 WILB 1 18 31 1 yr.
$$Wilson, Antonio 59 WLB 3 18 33 1 yr.
Smith, Raonall 57 WLB 2 20 39 4 yrs.
Nattiel, Mike 56 WLB 1 25 52 3 yrs.
$$Kelly, Eric 25 LCB 3 24 31 3 yrs.
Williams, Brian 29 LCB 2 25 41 4 yrs.
##Tovar, Moe 48 LCB 1 14 31 1 yr.
$$Irvin, Ken 27 RCB 9 21 24 1 yr.
Bronson, Tyrus 41 RCB 1 15 37 1 yr.
$$Walker, Brian 49 SS 8 39 40 1 yr.
Mikell, Quintin 31 SS 1 30 55 1 yr.
Brewer, Jack 42 FS 2 14 25 1 yr.
$$Israel, Ron 32 FS 2 19 37 1 yr.

The season was ready to beginne
Old 10-29-2003, 03:35 AM   #5
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Part 5 Are you ready for some football?

Game day:
Week 1
Opponent Chicago Bears 0-0(Away)
Point split (-15)

After a touchback from Chicago the season got of to a great start. On the very first play Moe Williams picked up 31 yards on a perfectly timed run. But 3 plays later MIN had had to kick to ball away on a 4 and 15 from just around midfield. Chicago’s first drive of the year ended in a fumble on MIN 32-yard line, recovered by Brian Walker and returned 10 yards. Gus Frerotte, still slightly marked by his concussion, was unable to get in to a rhythm and Chicago where the first to put points on the board with a short field gold. From then it was just downhill. Only 3 fist downs in the first half and 38 yards was the humble result. Frerotte also managed to be picked of twice and the score after the first 30 minutes of football for the “New” Vikings was 13-0. But to be honest, it could have been a lot worse.
MIN first points came with 14:13 remaining in the 4 quarter. A 58-yard field goal by Jonathan Ruffin. The scorer was now 27-3.
Minnesota totally gained 173 yards. That as just a few yards more then CHI RB Anthony Thomas 159 yards (149 running and 10 receiving). The final result was 34-3.

Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd
12 Frerotte 23 8 93 4.0 23 0 2 6

The mood on the charted flight back from Chicago was below 0. It didn’t help that 3 players had been injured and was in need of rest for at least a week. Next weeks home game against BUF was coming way to soon. BUF was 1-0 with an easy win against the Jets, and hungry for revenge for the loss in the preseason game. When Mr Northwood walked to the back of the flight to see Coach Ball, he was meet by a sorry sight. Mr Ball looked like a nervous breakdown. He didn’t see anything around him and he was whispering to him self between sips from the green bottle. “This is not what I wanted. This was the reason I said no to the Bengals. I just want to have my precious ring, my precious one”. A small pill was slipped into the next beer Coach Ball received from the nice stewardess, and soon he was sleeping like a baby. He would not remember anything tomorrow.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 10-29-2003 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:13 AM   #6
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Part 6 Coming home

Game day:
Week 2
Opponent: Buffalo Bills 1-0 (Home 62.700)
Point split (-12)

The first TD of the year came with 14:09 left in the second quarter. A 60yard drive was taken in for a TD on a QB sneak from the BUF 1-yard line. By half time BUF had put a TD on the board and MIN had countered with a 56yards FG. 10-7. Two TD by Drew Bledsoe in the 3Q took most of the steam out of the home fans. The only thing that kept them in the stadium was the free beer. Gus Frerotte`s 2nd TD with 10:45 left in the 3Q didn’t help much. When the 2 next MIN drives went 3 and 4 yards for 3-and-out. When Eddie Johnson punted the ball with 2:08 left in the game the stadium was almost empty.
18-21 so close, but yet so fare away. ESPN was already talking about the possibility that the Vikings could be 0-16 this season, when Bills went 8yds up the middle on a run from Travis Henry and the clock was stopped for the 2-minute warning.

What happens next is still a mystery. Most TV-cameras was zooming in on Coach Ball leaving the sideline with a beer in his hand. Luckily a handheld camera in the audience, trying to film high kicks by the MIN cheerleaders captured the moment on film. For some unknown reason Drew Bledsoe decide to pass on 2nd down and 2 with 1:57 left on the clock. Bledsoe was 27-44, 399 yards with 3 TD. Drews intended target was TE Jay Riemersma. The ball was snapped, 4 quick steps back, read the deffens, a short pass to the TE to run down the clock. But before the ball ever got to Jay Riemersma it hit the helmet to Kenny Mixon and bounces up in the air. In the longest second ever recorded in Minnesota (it was later clocked to 2,3sec) the ball hangs in the air, before it falls down in the hands of WLB Mike Nattiel. Interception.
He starts running 30-20-10-5-TD. 24-21 Minnesota.

With 1:47 left on the clock BUF made a desperate try to get back in the game. But with 4sec left in the game BUF turn the ball over on downs on their own 45yard line.

Minnesota Vikings first victory was a fact. And it came in a way that no one in Hollywood could have done better (well perhaps Terentino, but that would have been to much blood for the NFL). After the game Coach Ball try’s to give a speech.

“ I cannot begin to explain how hik, proud I am over hik what we hik” By now Coach Ball was helped into his office by security and Mr Northwood finished the speech.

Code:
2Q: 14:09 MIN - Gus Frerotte 1 run. 2Q: 14:09 MIN - Jonathan Ruffin extra point. 2Q: 05:59 BUF - Eric Moulds 6 pass from Drew Bledsoe. 2Q: 05:59 BUF - Rian Lindell extra point. 2Q: 02:47 MIN - Jonathan Ruffin 56 field goal. 3Q: 11:32 BUF - Charles Johnson 5 pass from Drew Bledsoe. 3Q: 11:32 BUF - Rian Lindell extra point. 3Q: 01:58 BUF - Travis Henry 3 pass from Drew Bledsoe. 3Q: 01:58 BUF - Rian Lindell extra point. 4Q: 10:45 MIN - Cedric James 13 pass from Gus Frerotte. 4Q: 10:45 MIN - Gus Frerotte pass to Luther Sutton for conversion 4Q: 01:47 MIN - Mike Nattiel 35 interception return. 4Q: 01:47 MIN - Jonathan Ruffin extra point. Game MVP: BUF 11 Drew Bledsoe Buffalo 0 7 14 0 - 21 Minnesota 0 10 0 15 - 25 Team Statistics BUF MIN First Downs 25 17 Total Rushes 22 30 Rushing Yards 81 146 Yards Per Carry 3.6 4.8 Pass Attempts 44 19 Completions 27 13 Passing Yards 399 156 Yards Per Attempt 9.0 8.2 Sacked 7 4 Yards Lost 47 23 Interceptions 1 0 Fumbles/Lost 1/0 1/0 Total Plays 66 49 Total Yards 480 302 Yards Per Play 7.2 6.1 3rd Down Plays 5/13 3/11 Avg. YTG on 3rd 8.5 6.8 4th Down Plays 1/3 0/0 Penalties 6 8 Penalty Yards 30 40 Avg. Drive Start OWN 22 OWN 27 Time Of Possession 32:43 27:17 Minnesota Individual Statistics Rushing Att Yards Avg Long TD 20 Williams* 14 80 5.7 25 0 44 Brown 6 33 5.5 13 0 40 Kleinsasser 5 16 3.2 7 0 12 Frerotte 4 11 2.7 10 1 84 Moss 1 6 6.0 6 0 Passing Att Comp Yards Yd/Att Long TD Int Sckd 12 Frerotte 19 13 156 8.2 34 1 0 4 Receiving Catch Yards Avg YAC Long TD 84 Moss* 5 95 19.0 10 34 0 40 Kleinsasser 3 27 9.0 20 11 0 34 Chapman 1 3 3.0 2 3 0 20 Williams 1 -2 -2.0 0 -2 0 47 Allen 1 8 8.0 7 8 0 86 James 1 13 13.0 0 13 1 83 Sutton 1 12 12.0 0 12 0 Punt Returns Att Yards Avg TD 88 Howry 2 10 5.0 0 Kick Returns Att Yards Avg TD 44 Brown 2 30 15.0 0 20 Williams 1 17 17.0 0 Punting Punts Yards Avg Long In20 14 Johnson 7 299 42.7 52 2 Kicking FG FGA Long PAT Att 4 Ruffin 1 1 56 2 2 Defense Tackle Assist Sack Int IntYds IntTD 49 Walker 6 1 0.0 0 0 0 56 Nattiel 5 1 0.0 1 35 1 32 Israel 5 2 0.0 0 0 0 27 Irvin 5 1 0.0 0 0 0 99 Hovan 4 1 1.0 0 0 0 25 Kelly 4 0 1.0 0 0 0 51 Johnstone* 3 1 2.0 0 0 0 59 Wilson 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 93 Nicholas 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 41 Bronson 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 95 Ferrara 2 0 1.0 0 0 0 75 Robbins 2 3 0.5 0 0 0 55 Hall 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 42 Brewer 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 94 Wells 1 0 1.0 0 0 0 79 Mixon 1 2 0.5 0 0 0 29 Williams 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 31 Mikell 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 84 Moss 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 88 Howry 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 90 Williams 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 83 Sutton 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 Miscellaneous Fumb FForc Recov MiscTD KeyRBlk SckAlwd 73 Wagner 0 0 0 0 2 1 62 Lindsay 0 0 0 0 3 1 71 Dixon 0 0 0 0 2 2 72 Hubble 0 0 0 0 3 0 78 Birk 0 0 0 0 2 0 34 Chapman 0 0 1 0 0 0 47 Allen 0 0 0 0 1 0 44 Brown 1 0 0 0 0 0 52 Clemons 0 1 0 0 0 0
*= Players of the week

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 12-06-2003 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Part 7 Another lucky dog

Good evening and welcome to Sportscenter. My name is Arlie and please welcome my guest today Jim. Today we are going to talk about stats and numbers in the NFL. We have now played 3 weeks and what have you found Jim?

Jim: Thank Arlie. You know I like my numbers and her is a rundown of the numbers I find the most intriguing after only 3 weeks.

If we start with QB. Kurt Warner has thrown for more when 300 yards in all 3 games this year but STL is still 0-3. Damon Huard has sensationally kept Tom Brady on the bench this year. He has thrown 9 TD, but also 6 interceptions and NED is 1-2. Michael Vik has comp 74% of his passes but ATL is 1-2. My pick is Brett Favre. His not leading any categories but his pretty close to the top in all of them and his team is 3-0. On the negative side I have to mention Jeff Garcia (SFO) with only 2 TD and Gus Frerotte with only a single TD.

Arlie: On RB you just can’t get around Ricky Williams (284 yards) and Corey Dillon (335 yards).

Jim: That’s true Arlie, but I also like to mention Brock Forsey (CHI) and Moe Williams (MIN). They move the ball more then 6 yards every time they receive the ball.

Arlie: Lets talk a bit more about Moe Williams and Minnesota Vikings. How can a team be outscored in almost every category we can find but still be 2-1?

Jim: I have to say luck, but also some great plays. Minnesota was nowhere near Carolinas goal line in the first 3Q but the 99yard kick-off return by Moe Williams helps MIN turn things around. But MIN cannot get around that without the interception by Mike Nattiel in game 2 and the kickoff return in game 3, MIN would have been 0-3. Now they are 2-1, but they have to start moving the ball.

Arlie: That’s true Jim. I have even heard that both Carolina and Buffalo are planning to sue Minnesota for grand theft.

Jim: Next weeks match up against SEA will be very interesting. I’m sure that SEA and Mike Holmgren will not make the same mistakes as CAR and BUF.

Arlie: And in MIN they are just waiting to see who will make the next big play. Lets move one Arlie. WAS, OAK, IND and GBY are the only undefeated teams. Any stats on them Jim?
Old 11-05-2003, 12:31 PM   #8
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

To: Carlsberg, Novo, Volvo and Orkla
Subject: Injuries

General situation ok. 4 players injured. Only 1 serious. We are in a lot better shape when Denver who has 11 players injured.

Following changes was made previous to the SEA game.

Everett Lindsay, LG - Broken Ribs, full strength in about 6 weeks. Moved to the inactive roster.

White, Lorenzo, RG. Activated from inactive roster.

Dawson CJ moved up as starting LT instead of Hubble Gabe (Broken Finger, Probable, full strength in about 1 week).
Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 PM   #9
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Game day:
Week 4
Opponent: Seattle 1-2 (Away)
Point split (-8)

28 yards is all we manage to move the ball in the 1Q with Gus Frerotte going 5-8 and 22 yards. SEA is up 10-0.

By halftime its 27-0.
This is a bad day.

When SEA makes their first mistake (a fumble by Maurice Morris that Keenan Howry returns 74 yards for a TD) with only 4min left in the 4Q, the game has been over for a long time. 44-17 is the final scorer. Frerotte is 19-37 with 1 TD (Cedric James 37yards), and 1 pick (returned 30yards by Isaiah Kacyvenski for a TD).

On defence, Chris Hovan can feel good about his 9Tck and 2,5sck.

Butch Jefferson takes his first snaps in the big league. He gets some playing time in the end of the 4Q.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:36 PM   #10
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Everyone in the Vikings/CNVO organisation was looking forward to the off week. This was the time start working. But something different, and not that pleasant, was going to take a lot of time and headlines.

The story broke on Wednesday. Randy Moss refusing to play. The planed trade of Randy Moos never worked out. No other teams was interested. That meant that when the transfer window closed, Randy Moss was still with MIN. But a call from Randy’s agent Johnnie Heemskerk Wednesday made it clear that Randy Moss was had no intentions to play. He asked to be put on the inactive roster, stating emotional distress. Nick Davis was his replacement

This was another hard blow for the Minnesota Vikings and definitely not the best way to prepare for the next home game.