Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #151
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Curry also has the advantage of having had a father who had a decent NBA career.

If Delonte West can manage to scratch out a decent NBA career on a winning team, I think Stephen Curry will be better than that. I just think he's got the pedigree that makes him the kind of kid that will excel.

He'll probably go too high, but...he's no Adam Morrison.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #152
RainMaker
General Manager

I still think he'd make a great addition to the Cavs. He'd get a ton of open looks and be able to give Lebron breathers and still leave a scoring option on the floor for the Cavs.

They could then trade Delonte West (who teams have interest in) alongside some expiring deals for some athleticism inside.

The Cavs need to play like this is their last year with Lebron. I think if they had won the title this year, Lebron bolts in 2010. But I think winning the title next year makes it much tougher for him to leave.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #153
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Curry also has the advantage of having had a father who had a decent NBA career.

If Delonte West can manage to scratch out a decent NBA career on a winning team, I think Stephen Curry will be better than that. I just think he's got the pedigree that makes him the kind of kid that will excel.

I think Curry has the potential to be a good NBA player. Definitely a first rounder. I think the issue I have with him is that he's maybe the 5th best PG in the draft. He's a great pick in the teens, but top 10 is a big stretch considering the talent pool.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #154
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think Curry has the potential to be a good NBA player. Definitely a first rounder. I think the issue I have with him is that he's maybe the 5th best PG in the draft. He's a great pick in the teens, but top 10 is a big stretch considering the talent pool.

The problem is, in this draft, 5th best PG means 8th best player in the draft.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #155
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Is there any way that Jrue Holiday gets top-10 pick consideration if not for the success of Russell Westbrook last season?

Sure. Jrue Holiday probably would have been drafted ahead of Westbrook after his senior year of HS

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-18-2009 at 12:02 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #156
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Sure. Jrue Holiday probably would have been drafted ahead of Westbrook after his senior year of HS

No question, if he'd come straight out of high school he'd have been selected. But based on what was seen of him at UCLA? It may not have been a system that played to his strengths, but I didn't see any reason to select him so high in a draft with so many talented PGs.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #157
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Saw this rumor on ESPN today. Am I the only one who thinks this would make no sense at all? I thought McHale was leaving?

Quote:
An NBA executive told The Boston Globe Wednesday that the Minnesota Timberwolves are working on a deal that would send Al Jefferson and the No. 6 pick in next week's NBA Draft to the Phoenix Suns for Amare Stoudemire.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #158
Logan
Head Coach

No chance. I would think Phoenix would be the one sending picks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #159
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

You're probably right, he's closer to Delonte West than Adam Morrison.

But, knowing what we know about West, do you spend a top 8 pick to get that?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #160
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Suns fans would load up the Winnebago and drive Amare to Minnesota to land that deal. Zero chance it happens, I can't see Minnesota even considering it (esp with McHale gone).
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #161
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Agreed. Unless they cut off Jefferson's leg when doing his ACL surgery and have not told anyone yet, that trade makes no sense at all for Minnesota.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #162
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Though if I were Phoenix, I'd be willing to take .75 on the dollar for Amare right now if I could find a buyer. I just have a feeling that his value will continue to sink. With all due respect to Dennis Green, he's not who we thought he was a couple of seasons ago.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #163
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
No question, if he'd come straight out of high school he'd have been selected. But based on what was seen of him at UCLA? It may not have been a system that played to his strengths, but I didn't see any reason to select him so high in a draft with so many talented PGs.

Because he's talented. Ben Howland didn't play him at PG this past year because it wasn't conducive to the team winning as many games as possible. It might be in the same boat as Westbrook in terms of a player not being allowed to do what he can do on the court because of the coach, but not because he just happens to play at UCLA at off-guard. Westbrook has incredible athleticism. Jrue Holiday has "excellent court vision" and "natural feel for the game"

And the last thing a player ever wants to be known as is a "system player"

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-19-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #164
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

Though if I were Phoenix, I'd be willing to take .75 on the dollar for Amare right now if I could find a buyer. I just have a feeling that his value will continue to sink. With all due respect to Dennis Green, he's not who we thought he was a couple of seasons ago.
I agree, but it's simply because of the contract situation. Like with bosh, Amare could very well bolt after the season and unless Phoenix wants to commit a ton of cash to him, it's better to get 70-80 cents on the dollar now instead of losing him in the offseason.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #165
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Is Brandon Jennings considered as damaged goods after a not-so-impressive stint in Europe, or is he going to be a pleasant surprise to whoever picks him late in the 1st round?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #166
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

some talk that BC's own Tyrese Rice has had some stellar workouts and convinced teams that he can run the point okay in the NBA and he may be somewhat of a surprise late first-round pick now.

(or so my brother says - he's on top of this shit...idk where he got the info from)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #167
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Is Brandon Jennings considered as damaged goods after a not-so-impressive stint in Europe, or is he going to be a pleasant surprise to whoever picks him late in the 1st round?

He's going to go mid first round and an 18 year old American holding his own in Europe is plenty good enough. I'm very unsure as how how his career will turn out, but he is definitely not rated any lower than he was 12 months ago.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #168
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

He's a sure thing for the lottery.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #169
RainMaker
General Manager

There have been rumors here in Chicago that the Bulls may trade both their first round picks to move up to the 9-12 range. Seems they are really interested in Gerald Henderson who to me is one of the most underated players in this draft.

In personal offseason news, next year will be the first year that my season tickets will be in the 100 level. Taken about 5 years and a massive recession, but no more nosebleeds for me.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #170
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I guess the Spurs really enjoy winning. Nice move IMHO.

Source: Spurs acquire Jefferson for 3 players - ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #171
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

richard jefferson? does he have anything left?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #172
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

I'm guessing the Bucks will release Bowen and Oberto - meaning they may end up coming back to the Spurs by midseason. So, the deal will probably end up being the corpse of Kurt Thomas for Richard Jefferson. Fantastic deal for the Spurs and a nice move in terms of value/potential. The top teams in the league (Spurs, Lakers, ...) have certainly learned how to make a mockery of this current NBA trading system. But, Kudos to them for taking advantage of the situation. I would expect more dumps over the next few months as teams deal with the current financial crisis.

Last edited by Arles : 06-23-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #173
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

Definitely a good move for SA. Bowen and Oberto got limited minutes this season. Thomas was an adequate defender, but for all intents and purposes was the guy who used up fouls. The Spurs needed an upgrade at the 3 and they got it. I don't know if it gets them to the Lakers' level, but they weren't going anywhere with what they had. If the team stays healthy, they've got a better shot today than they did yesterday.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #174
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
richard jefferson? does he have anything left?

He only just turned 29...

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #175
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Big pickup for the Spurs - Parker, Manu, RJeff, Gooden and Duncan is a formidable lineup.

I hope the Bucks did this to resign Sessions and/or Charlie V. If they did this as a dump for the 2010 free agents then uh..well I would compare them to Memphis but at least Memphis got Marc Gasol and 2 1st round picks when they gave Pau away to the Lakers.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #176
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Also a rumor today that the Celtics offered Ray Ray and Rondo for Rip/Prince/Stuckey. Pistons declined. I've heard a lot recently of the C's looking to trade Rondo, and I'm not 100% sure how to feel about that. I love Rondo, and will follow him wherever, but if the deal makes the C's that much better, then I'm for it. I guess we'll see if there's any fire to go with the smoke.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #177
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Also a rumor today that the Celtics offered Ray Ray and Rondo for Rip/Prince/Stuckey. Pistons declined. I've heard a lot recently of the C's looking to trade Rondo, and I'm not 100% sure how to feel about that. I love Rondo, and will follow him wherever, but if the deal makes the C's that much better, then I'm for it. I guess we'll see if there's any fire to go with the smoke.

I heard this rumor as well. As a Pistons fan, I am not sure what to think about this. Until last year, I thought Dumars was doing a helluva job. Then he traded Billups (allegedly to free up cap space). They promptly went into the tank and were not competitive the rest of last season. I like Rip and Tayshaun, jury is still out on Stuckey but he is young. I really like Rondo, but see no need to trade for a guy like Ray Allen at this point in his career or at this point in the Pistons' development. If they were one player away from being a serious contender, I would look at a guy like him (of course without giving up the rest of the team to do it), but Detroit is now in a rebuilding phase, and that trade would not make sense. I am glad they rejected it, but not sure what they will be doing to make this team better going forward.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #178
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I'm not sure of the Pistons cap situation without the guys they would have allegedly dealt, but Ray Ray does come off the books after this season.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #179
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
There have been rumors here in Chicago that the Bulls may trade both their first round picks to move up to the 9-12 range. Seems they are really interested in Gerald Henderson who to me is one of the most underated players in this draft.

In personal offseason news, next year will be the first year that my season tickets will be in the 100 level. Taken about 5 years and a massive recession, but no more nosebleeds for me.

And you're bringing me along to a game when?
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #180
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm guessing the Bucks will release Bowen and Oberto - meaning they may end up coming back to the Spurs by midseason. So, the deal will probably end up being the corpse of Kurt Thomas for Richard Jefferson. Fantastic deal for the Spurs and a nice move in terms of value/potential. The top teams in the league (Spurs, Lakers, ...) have certainly learned how to make a mockery of this current NBA trading system. But, Kudos to them for taking advantage of the situation. I would expect more dumps over the next few months as teams deal with the current financial crisis.

While it's a little true that you see some trading mockeries- you have to look at each trade with salary cap room as a "player" in the trade. This isn't just 3 bench players for Jefferson, it's 3 bench players + cap space for Jefferson.

That said, this is going to be a crazy buyer's market. There are going to be at least 20 sellers and only 10 buyers.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #181
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I'm not sure of the Pistons cap situation without the guys they would have allegedly dealt, but Ray Ray does come off the books after this season.

I am sure they are freeing up nearly $22m with the departure of AI. That was supposedly one of the reasons they dumped Billups, to get out from under his multi-year contract.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #182
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

rip/prince/stuckey for ray ray + rondo is questionable.

stuckey is a downgrade over rondo for sure.

ray ray is getting older, but he's still a deadeye outside shooter. rip doesn't have his range or ability to stretch the defense in that sense, and the C's don't have anyone besides House on the bench who can.

Rip is probably his equal from midrange though.

Prince would be a player I'd love, and I think defensively he would add a ton, but idk.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #183
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
While it's a little true that you see some trading mockeries- you have to look at each trade with salary cap room as a "player" in the trade. This isn't just 3 bench players for Jefferson, it's 3 bench players + cap space for Jefferson.
Given Oberto and Bowen will be bought out/cut the moment they arrive, it's one bench player (in his late 30s) and cap space for a 29-year old Jefferson.

Quote:
That said, this is going to be a crazy buyer's market. There are going to be at least 20 sellers and only 10 buyers.
This is going to be the most valuable player to 15-20 NBA teams this offseason:

Old 06-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #184
lungs
Pro Rookie

I reckon the Bucks still won't be worth watching next year.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #185
RainMaker
General Manager

How is Jefferson only 29? Feels like he's been in the league for a long time.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #186
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

From SI.com

Quote:
The Wizards and Timberwolves have agreed in principle to a trade involving Washington's No. 5 pick in Thursday's draft, a league source told SI.com.

The Wizards will receive Randy Foye and Mike Miller while the Timberwolves will get the No. 5 pick, Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila and Oleksiy Pecherov.

The trade leaves Minnesota with the Nos. 5 and 6 picks in the lottery.

I saw a brief interview with Rubio a little while ago, he looks even younger than he is. I liked watching him in the Olympics but I don't know how good he'll be in the NBA. He doesn't seem to be particularly quick, he's short, and shooting is one of his weaknesses.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #187
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
From SI.com

I saw a brief interview with Rubio a little while ago, he looks even younger than he is. I liked watching him in the Olympics but I don't know how good he'll be in the NBA. He doesn't seem to be particularly quick, he's short, and shooting is one of his weaknesses.

I honestly don't see Rubio as anything other than a huge disappointment. He's weaknesses are not good weaknesses to have in the NBA.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #188
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I honestly don't see Rubio as anything other than a huge disappointment. He's weaknesses are not good weaknesses to have in the NBA.

given the eye he has on the court and his passing game which seems excellent, and also being only 18 I think he could turn into a solid but not spectacular point.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 06-23-2009 at 07:57 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #189
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
From SI.com

Woohoo! Foye and Miller are gone!

Quote:

I feel the same way, hopefully the Wolves are moving up for Thabeet instead of Rubio. They need someone next to Jefferson or Love.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #190
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

He's also a phenomenal ball handler. Will probably be one of the best, if not the best in a few years. I think the potential upside is that of a little slower version (in his prime) of Jason Kidd.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno if Rubio is as much of a freak as Rondo but he's certainly been good without being a good shot. Then again Rondo didn't go til the early 20s in the draft
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #192
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone got a cash breakdown on the Wizards trade?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #193
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Wow, sounds like a great trade for the Wizards if they're giving up pick #5 for a pair of players someone is saying "Woo! They're gone!"

So, I give up- what's bad about those two?

SI

Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #194
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

I feel the same way, hopefully the Wolves are moving up for Thabeet instead of Rubio. They need someone next to Jefferson or Love.

Thomas? Songaila?

My guess is the Wolves will draft Thabeet and Jordan Hill, and start the first "All Center" team in NBA history.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #195
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Thomas? Songaila?

My guess is the Wolves will draft Thabeet and Jordan Hill, and start the first "All Center" team in NBA history.

Gold, Chief

Twin Towers? Pshaw. We'll call our lineup Stonehenge!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-23-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #196
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'm a biased Villanova fan, but I always thought Foye had really good potential to be a solid off-guard. He has, however, been cursed by injuries thus far in his NBA career.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #197
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im guessing Harden might as well start checking on real estate in Minnesota
Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #198
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Im guessing Harden might as well start checking on real estate in Minnesota

Despite the need for a defensive center, if Thabeet doesn't fall to the TWolves, I can see them going all guard, maybe Harden and Tyreke Evans.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #199
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wow, sounds like a great trade for the Wizards if they're giving up pick #5 for a pair of players someone is saying "Woo! They're gone!"

So, I give up- what's bad about those two?

SI

Miller was garbage last year and his only real value was his expiring contract, and Foye has been nothing but a disappointment since he was traded for. He's shown he can't be an effective point guard or have a lot of the offense go through him at the two, so he's essentially a 2 guard with a lousy shot who should be nothing more than a bench player. Neither one of those two players had a future with the Timberwolves if they can be built into a decent team.

Remains to be seen if Kahn can have a good first offseason as GM, but unloading these two is a good start, and getting the #5 pick and only taking on 1 slightly bad contract makes it look like a pretty good deal if he can do something with the pick. Will be even better if he can manage to get something for Corey Brewer.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #200
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Despite the need for a defensive center, if Thabeet doesn't fall to the TWolves, I can see them going all guard, maybe Harden and Tyreke Evans.

That wouldn't surprise me either, they still don't have anyone who's any good as a starter at a position other than PF.