Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #251
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not when there is big money to be made in a 7 game series.

As opposed to the the league giving star treatment by not suspending him, right?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #252
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
As opposed to the the league giving star treatment by not suspending him, right?

Do you think the NBA would have suspended him for a Game 7 if this happened in Game 6?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #253
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you think the NBA would have suspended him for a Game 7 if this happened in Game 6?

Maybe, maybe not. It would not have been the first time the league suspended an star player for a deciding game. The NBA suspended Alonzo Mourning for the deciding game five of a first round series against the Knicks in 1998 for actions that happened in game four.

However, that is not what happened. The league DID suspend Howard for his actions which was the proper call. If they had not suspended him, they would have been criticized for giving the star preferential treatment.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #254
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The Heat is a young, inconsistent team. Seven players on the playoff roster have three years of experience or less. Beasley has been average at best this season. Cook is a streaky shooter as is Chalmers. This series is a microcosm of the entire season. Those three are supposed to be Wade's help on the offensive end. When they are on, the Heat play well like they did in games two and three. If not....well you get games one and four.

And game five. 22 points combined for Beasley, Cook and Chalmers so far.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #255
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Still can't believe there were some people who wanted the Bulls to pick Beasley over Rose. Not many, but there were a few.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #256
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Still can't believe there were some people who wanted the Bulls to pick Beasley over Rose. Not many, but there were a few.

Well, at the time, I think most people expected Beasley to be putting up Rookie of the Year numbers in his first season, where as Rose was expected to take a season or two.

It was a question of taking a future star at a key position over taking a big talent at a spot that isn't, generally, as important (SF/PF).

Of course, Beasley has been worse than expected (though I maintain he'd be putting up better numbers on a worse team), and Rose has been FAR better off the bat than I ever expected, at least.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #257
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Great third quarter by the Nuggets, they're all but in the second round.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #258
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. It would not have been the first time the league suspended an star player for a deciding game. The NBA suspended Alonzo Mourning for the deciding game five of a first round series against the Knicks in 1998 for actions that happened in game four.

However, that is not what happened. The league DID suspend Howard for his actions which was the proper call. If they had not suspended him, they would have been criticized for giving the star preferential treatment.

There is not a chance in hell they suspend one of their premier players for a crucial Game 7. Especially for an elbow that is a judgement call. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in the NBA when it comes to their rules.

The Mourning example is a tad different. It wasn't an elbow, it was him and Larry Johnson throwing haymakers at one another.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #259
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
There is not a chance in hell they suspend one of their premier players for a crucial Game 7. Especially for an elbow that is a judgement call. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in the NBA when it comes to their rules.

The Mourning example is a tad different. It wasn't an elbow, it was him and Larry Johnson throwing haymakers at one another.

Are you saying that they should not have suspended him to prove that they don't want a game seven?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #260
whomario
Pro Starter

Must win for the Rockets tonight.

3 quotes that sum up my thoughts, fears and hopes :

Quote:

Q: When the Rockets need a basket, why don't they pound the ball down low to Yao Ming, a great free-throw shooter who has a mismatch with whomever might be guarding him, instead of having Yao set picks 27 feet from the basket to set up unspeakably bad jumpers by Ron Artest?

A: I ... I don't know.

from a nice column by Simmons overall Bill Simmons: The Sports Guy answers key questions about the 2009 NBA playoffs - ESPN

Quote:

Give him the ball.
Don't weigh the options. Don't worry about the double- or triple-team, don't get too clever for your own good.
Give it to the 7-foot-6 guy with enough brawn to cast a shadow over Shaq.

Quote:

Tuesday's Game 5 loss to the Blazers was almost laughable. Twenty-six shots were taken by the Rockets before Yao got his first shot in the 88-77 loss, a missed turnaround hook with 6:19 to play in the second quarter. His first basket did not come until 2:37 remained in the first half.
Just to reiterate: Twenty-six times the Rockets determined it was better to have someone else take a shot before Yao got a turn. Yes, Przybilla was relentlessly fronting. But, uh, by late April, shouldn't you have figured out how to throw it over the top?
When Yao finally got the ball, when Brooks decided perhaps another 3-pointer wasn't in the team's best interest, he made seven of his next 10 shots, closing a respectable 7 of 12.

from NBC : Expert: Simple game plan — give Yao the dang ball - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com

and the big guy himself had this to say :

Quote:

The Blazers have mostly defended Yao by putting either Joel Przybilla or Greg Oden in front of him and then double-teaming whenever he touches the ball. Yao found a way to score 24 points in Game 1 and 21 in Game 4, leaving the game plan for Game 6 fairly obvious -- at least to him.

"Get the ball inside. Get the ball inside. Get the ball inside," he said. "That's it."

Yao had grown tired of being reduced to a witness.

“I don’t know,” he said sarcastically when asked what went wrong in the 88-77 loss in Game 5. “I just went up and down on the court. I don’t know anything. I just ran baseline to baseline for seven or eight times. That’s it.

“I mean, I ran up and down. We didn’t organize well. We did not execute. We did not know what is the play. We don’t know what is called.”

And by "we" he means "they" . That´s the closest to calling out his teammates i´ve seen him. I honestly want them to just try it. Don´t care about 5 or 6 TOs by him, just throw him the ball whenever even remotely possible and then work from there and not start the game assuming you can´t get it to him like in Game 5...

Can´t wait ...

whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #261
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If the Rockets don't want to utilize Yao I'm sure there's no shortage of suitors who'd break up their teams for him.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #262
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Are you saying that they should not have suspended him to prove that they don't want a game seven?

No, I'm saying that elbows like that take place a lot in the NBA and don't end up in suspsensions. There seems to be zero consistency in this area.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #263
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, tonight will be about the Bulls mental toughness. If they come out flat, and figure they already have an excuse for why they won't win the series, it could be a game 3-like rout. If they use it as motivation, then they could rout the celtics, or we could have another classic.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 04-30-2009 at 12:30 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #264
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's odd- you don't usually hear Yao lashing out like that. Not exactly a guy known for being a prima donna.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #265
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's odd- you don't usually hear Yao lashing out like that. Not exactly a guy known for being a prima donna.

SI

I'd argue that that's hardly being a prima donna - it's more like "hey c'mon guys...basic basketball strategy - nobody on their team can guard me - how about you pass to me?"
Old 04-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #266
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Well, tonight will be about the Bulls mental toughness. If they come out flat, and figure they already have an excuse for why they won't win the series, it could be a game 3-like rout. If they use it as motivation, then they could rout the celtics, or we could have another classic.

I'll be there tonight and I don't see a rout. The crowd will be raucuous and should give them a nice boost early on. I still don't think they'll win tonight and foresee a tight game that the Celtics pull away with at the end.

I like the Bulls future but it's just tough to put a 20 year old into these spots and expect him to take out a team of established veterans.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #267
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'll be there tonight and I don't see a rout. The crowd will be raucuous and should give them a nice boost early on. I still don't think they'll win tonight and foresee a tight game that the Celtics pull away with at the end.

I like the Bulls future but it's just tough to put a 20 year old into these spots and expect him to take out a team of established veterans.

Pretty much agree.

I think the next year or two is just to let Rose develop and go cheap on spending money on VDN but when 2010 rolls around, our players should be ready to make a big step forward and hopefully Reinsdorf will spend the money on a real coach.

I'll be at the game too, just hoping for a game half as exciting as last Sunday's was.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #268
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

you better get some action from that chick this time neq!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #269
whomario
Pro Starter

Rondo just might have decided the series in Chicago´s favour ... What was he thinking, seriously ? He just lost it ...
If you didn´t see it : He got tangled up with Hinrich at the sidelines (Rondo initiated it, too) and he just griped his arm and swung Hinrich into the scorers table, not even a flop or exageration on Hinrich´s part.

Flagrant 2 (= ejection) and i´d say a suspension for a now likely game 7 pretty likely ...
Stupid, stupid move that puts a huge shadow over his performance ...

EDIT : Wait a minute : I was tuned into Orl/Phi at the time and they switched to the incident and yahoosaid "flagrant 2". Apparently he wasn´t ejected ? I don´t get those rules apparently ...

Last edited by whomario : 04-30-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #270
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Rondo just might have decided the series in Chicago´s favour ... What was he thinking, seriously ? He just lost it ...
If you didn´t see it : He got tangled up with Hinrich at the sidelines (Rondo initiated it, too) and he just griped his arm and swung Hinrich into the scorers table, not even a flop or exageration on Hinrich´s part.

Flagrant 2 (= ejection) and i´d say a suspension for a now likely game 7 pretty likely ...
Stupid, stupid move that puts a huge shadow over his performance ...

EDIT : Wait a minute : I was tuned into Orl/Phi at the time and they switched to the incident and yahoosaid "flagrant 2". Apparently he wasn´t ejected ? I don´t get those rules apparently ...

they reviewed it and said it wasn't a flagrant 2, it went as a flagrant 1

C's in trouble - down 37-26 after 1
Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #271
Jas_lov
College Starter

Rondo was not ejected, he got a slap on the wrist. It's the playoffs though so I doubt any Boston player will be suspended.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #272
whomario
Pro Starter

@ daddytorgo : thanks for clarification !
that´s bound to get heavily flamed in the media and i´d say they have a point. Maybe you can argue it wasn´t a flagrant 2, but taking it back after what last game´s incident doesn´t look good really.
Yeah, i´m all for physichal play and stuff, but that´s just not a basketball play (todays incident) and for me those type of things are a sure fire ejection.

As much as i like Rondo as a player ...

What´s the vegas line for Aaron Gray getting into the game for the sole purpose of taking a shot at Rondo ?

EDIT : And Gortat/Redick/Alston are beasting it for Orlando , wow what a start.

Last edited by whomario : 04-30-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #273
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup. Rondo was stupid today.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #274
Groundhog
Coordinator

Gortat is, IIRC, a free agent and is going to get paid this offseason IMO.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #275
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm bored. The Cavs don't play again till next week right?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #276
larrymcg421
Head Coach

C's have tied it up. Ray Allen's got it tonight.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #277
whomario
Pro Starter

@ Groundhog : Yeah, i agree on that. Still a miracle for anyone who saw him play around the time he got drafted, made great strides. I don´t think it will be outrageous, what with the economic struggles and teams in save mode. Maybe 10 for 3 ?

Ray Allen is having a hoge half, 24 points on 9-13 shooting with 4 3s. Boston ties it after being down 14.

I was shocked when i realized that Hunter still plays when i stumbled upon his name in a boxscore earlier this year. He´s like the Mutombo of guards.

Allen ! 29 in the half !

Last edited by whomario : 04-30-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #278
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Noah gives Pierce a receipt, but the Celtics take the lead with Pierce in the locker room due to bleeding.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #279
hoopsguy
General Manager

This is the first game of the Bulls/Celtics series I've been able to sit down and watch. Ray Allen has been amazing this series.

No comments yet on the Rondo flagrant in the first half?

Edit - oops, thought I was on last page of thread.

Last edited by hoopsguy : 04-30-2009 at 07:54 PM.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #280
whomario
Pro Starter

Noah has got to be the worst finisher among big men in the league ... Can´t believe my eyes looking at his great shooting percentage, he´s just erratic there. Both teams play atrocious defense all series long, especially in transition.

lol at Rondo screaming at Perkins like crazy there before finally getting the pass for that easy layup

Hinrich plays good d on allen though, gotta give him that.

I love how Rivers keeps giving actual coaching to Rondo at every possibility in a game as huge as this, that´s an underrated quality in a NBA head coach.

Last edited by whomario : 04-30-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #281
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Who needs Howard when Gortat is slamming it down like that.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #282
whomario
Pro Starter

House is ice cold this series, that´s an underrated aspect here. I mean, the game is at the high pace he likes so much and he misses and misses on shots he likes to take.

Orlando up 15 midway through the 3rd. But that wouldn´t be the first time Philly comes back and Orlando eventually might cool off.
JJ Redick with 4 3s so far, too. I´d be happy for him if they win and he gets another one or two of those.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #283
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That should just about do it, they do not have anyone hot this time
Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #284
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Redick with his fifth 3 and the boo-birds are out in Philly. Alston, Redick, Lewis, and Gortat all with good games.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #285
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
That should just about do it, they do not have anyone hot this time

This is a hideously blatant attempt at a reverse jinx
Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #286
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

No, it was honest.. but.. HOLY shit. The Bulls just cannot finish the Celtics off can they?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #287
whomario
Pro Starter

Boston with a clinic this quarter, that is pretty damn impressive thus far. And Gordon is a cancer, imo. His reaction there was just terrible. Not even him getting the technical (which is bad though) but how he´s sitting there on the bench not giving a damn and then basically blowing Hunter off when he talked to him...
Miller took a shot at Rondo there, no way that was just going for the block with that big swing. Then again it´s Miller who´s like clumsyX2, so who knows

NO OT please, wanna see Hou-Por ...

Last edited by whomario : 04-30-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #288
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And now the Celtics cannot finish the Bulls off.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #289
Groundhog
Coordinator

Bradley Miller!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #290
whomario
Pro Starter

Why was Tony Allen in the game again when the Celtics had held the Bulls to like 10 points in the first 10 1/2 minutes in the 4th ?
And Miller is ... clutch ?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #291
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

This is the best opening round series of all time.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #292
hoopsguy
General Manager

Well, I guess Vinny has a timeout for the end of the game. Of course, you could certainly make the case that he could have used one while giving up a 17-0 fourth quarter run ...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #293
Groundhog
Coordinator

'ere goes. I'm predicting it's the ole' "Ben Gordon for the contested jumper" to send the game to OT...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #294
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
'ere goes. I'm predicting it's the ole' "Ben Gordon for the contested jumper" to send the game to OT...

Ding ding ding ding ding.

I'm starting to get the impression Vinny isn't very good.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #295
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That was probably not the Bulls best option.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #296
whomario
Pro Starter

damn, i hate this ...

In Houston, MacMillan finally sits the totally overwhelmed Batum. Yao with a score and an assist on the first 2 possessions according to yahoo.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #297
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

You win.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #298
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

tony allen SUCKS - 3 straight trips down the floor (last 2 regulation, 1st overtime) he is in the paint with the ball - first 2 times he shoots lame floaters instead of drawing contact, 3rd time he dishes OUTSIDE the paint to perkins with like 4 on the shot clock
Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #299
whomario
Pro Starter

stop with the timeouts for christs sake ... NBA games go on way too long for nowadays, like snails pace with all those timeouts ...
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #300
Groundhog
Coordinator

If I were Vinny, I'd be drawing up a new play for everyone right now called the "give it to anyone except Ben Gordon and let them try and score" play.