Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #401
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Cowboys just signed QB Brad Johson apparently.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #402
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The Patriots have shown interest in dealing for Randy Moss. A source said Bill Belichick believes he could motivate Moss to play and that he'd have the locker room support system to back him up, thanks to high-character veterans like Tom Brady, Richard Seymour and Rodney Harrison.
-- Boston Herald

That's a bit out of left field

Somwhat. It was reported last season that the Pats thought about it too before the trade deadline after Branch was gone and things were falling apart in Oakland. I'd still rather take Darrell Jackson out of Seattle.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #403
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Sorry dude. I jumped to quick on that. I am a Titans fan and am extremely pissed off with the way they have totally ignored the FA period. Again sorry

No problem. It is a little strange that the Titans with all that cap room have stood pat. But there's still some guys out there.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #404
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Michael Smith of ESPN.com reports that the Bears have traded running back Thomas Jones to the New York Jets.

Per the report, the Bears also will send their second-round pick (No. 63 overall), and will receive the No. 37 pick in the draft, which the Jets landed via an earlier trade with the Reskins.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #405
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Cowboys just signed QB Brad Johson apparently.

Can he hold on kicks?

Oh, and the Niners signed the greatest receiver ever to not get a fair chance. I guess sooner or later, Lelie was bound to find a team willing to not make him work to be #1.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #406
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Michael Smith of ESPN.com reports that the Bears have traded running back Thomas Jones to the New York Jets.

Per the report, the Bears also will send their second-round pick (No. 63 overall), and will receive the No. 37 pick in the draft, which the Jets landed via an earlier trade with the Reskins.

That's a great move for the Jets.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #407
SFL Cat
College Starter

If the Cowboys could find some sucker to give them a boatload of draft picks for TO, I'd be a happy camper.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #408
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Patrick Kearney off to Seattle for 6-year $39.5 million contract.

The deal includes $19.5 million in guaranteed money.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #409
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Dolphins have released Randy McMichael instead of paying him a $3 million roster bonus.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #410
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Peezy supposedly will head to the dolphins for 4 years and 24ish million(12m signing bonus). Suprisingly he was a lot classier than I thought in his comments about getting released.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #411
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Welker just signed a new contract with the Pats at 5 years/18.1 million with 10.75 million in guarantees. Good fair contract. Like other Pats contracts, I imagine the guarantees are spread out over the life of the contract.

I like the Welker trade for one thing mainly. It will keep Maroney off the kickoff return duties. Sure, he was great at it, but the Pats need him to stay in shape to carry the ball...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 03-06-2007 at 08:11 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #412
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Saints sign Brian Simmons to 3-year contract (no mention of $$).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #413
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The Patriots have shown interest in dealing for Randy Moss. A source said Bill Belichick believes he could motivate Moss to play and that he'd have the locker room support system to back him up, thanks to high-character veterans like Tom Brady, Richard Seymour and Rodney Harrison.
-- Boston Herald

I keep seeing this rumor, and I keep thinking that the only reason I'm seeing it is because the Boston press can't get over the idea of the amount of fodder it would provide them for the next season.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #414
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Good for Simmons. He wasn't worth the money he would have made, but he's consistently been a team first guy that's moved LB positions a number of times as needed.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #415
Hoya1
High School JV

I'm astounded that people are ok with the Wes Welker contract. I see a lot of him as a Bills fan, and I just don't see the "gamebreaker" type player. I don't think he's worth a 2nd rnd draft pick, especially when a guy like Willis McGahee is only worth a 2nd day pick. Just my opinion. What are Dolphin fans thinking?
The guy averaged 10 yards a catch and 1 TD.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #416
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post
I'm astounded that people are ok with the Wes Welker contract. I see a lot of him as a Bills fan, and I just don't see the "gamebreaker" type player. I don't think he's worth a 2nd rnd draft pick, especially when a guy like Willis McGahee is only worth a 2nd day pick. Just my opinion. What are Dolphin fans thinking?

Maybe he'll turn out to be this year's Mike Furrey.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #417
Hoya1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Maybe he'll turn out to be this year's Mike Furrey.

just the really expensive version
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #418
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Furrey will be expensive soon enough.

On an unrelated note, Thomas Jones to the Jets appears to be done. As a Bears' fan (transplanted, yes), it's sad, sure, but the Bears are probably getting what they can out of him before he heads downhill. This is putting a lot on Benson, though, so I hope it works out.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #419
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

Furrey got paid. He got a new 3 year deal worth about $9 million with a $4 million signing bonus. Not sure if that is Wes Welker money, but it's not bad for a guy who was playing safety the year before.

Quote:
On an unrelated note, Thomas Jones to the Jets appears to be done. As a Bears' fan (transplanted, yes), it's sad, sure, but the Bears are probably getting what they can out of him before he heads downhill. This is putting a lot on Benson, though, so I hope it works out.

As a Lions' fan I am happy with this development. Jones ran all over the Lions. While Benson may pan out and be even better than Jones, I've never been overly concerned with Benson. Hopefully this will work out poorly for the Bears.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #420
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post

He had junk throwing to him, yet he always delivered some key catches. The Patriots have some burners, this is their go-to possession guy. And with 2 first-round picks, giving up the second rounder is cheap.

Last edited by gstelmack : 03-06-2007 at 10:38 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #421
Ksyrup

Joey Porter - $20M guaranteed from the Dolphins.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #422
Ksyrup

Dola.

"Porter agreed to a five-year, $32 million contract that includes $20 million in guarantees."
Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #423
Butter
Coordinator

Thank God the Bengals didn't sign him. Must not have been arrested previously.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #424
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Can he hold on kicks?

Yes he can, although I don't think the Vikings used him in that role last year. Just pray he doesn't have to actually play very much.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #425
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Thank God the Bengals didn't sign him. Must not have been arrested previously.

Wasn't he shot? Or am I thinking of the other Porter?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #426
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Wasn't he shot? Or am I thinking of the other Porter?

"They shot me in Denver!"
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #427
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
"They shot me in Denver!"

That season, sales of the 'Where was Ray Lewis when Joey Porter got shot?' t-shirt went through the roof.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #428
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Dola.

"Porter agreed to a five-year, $32 million contract that includes $20 million in guarantees."
The Dolphins just don't get it
Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #429
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
He had junk throwing to him, yet he always delivered some key catches. The Patriots have some burners, this is their go-to possession guy. And with 2 first-round picks, giving up the second rounder is cheap.

Agree on all fronts about Welker. Harrington was throwing to him and he still led the team with 67 catches. Good YAC guy for the short ball. Certainly adds something to the return game. In this day of crazy FA money, that contract is not bad and it is long term. He's young, which is definitely important. I just see a lot of upside here. If you saw him play the Pats, he was monster on the underneath stuff. Considering Chad Jackson was a 2nd rounder last year, and looking each day as a bust, I think the Pats wanted a known quantity at that position.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-06-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #430
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Welker is like a white, younger Troy Brown.

Good slot guy, return and special teams guy. Solid pickup.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #431
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Napoleon Harris to KC. What? No return of Monty Beisel?

And Tully Banta-Cain to SF.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #432
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Agree on all fronts about Welker. Harrington was throwing to him and he still led the team with 67 catches. Good YAC guy for the short ball. Certainly adds something to the return game. In this day of crazy FA money, that contract is not bad and it is long term. He's young, which is definitely important. I just see a lot of upside here. If you saw him play the Pats, he was monster on the underneath stuff. Considering Chad Jackson was a 2nd rounder last year, and looking each day as a bust, I think the Pats wanted a known quantity at that position.

Think Troy Brown in his prime. He's an explosive return guy, he becomes the most sure-handed receiver on the team - and the second best overall receiver on the team after Benjamin Watson.

A proven guy who will get you 50-60 catches out of the slot, adds to your special teams, for decent money, especially when your top prospect wideout is hurt again, well worth a 2nd rounder IMHO.

I also agree with VfP that his performance this year against the Pats also played into this decision. He killed us.

Cheers.

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay

Last edited by beargrowlz : 03-06-2007 at 01:43 PM.
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #433
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post

Smurf beat me to it.

[email protected]

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 03-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #434
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargrowlz View Post
Smurf beat me to it.

I even broke the story on him being white.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #435
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Again, you raise the spectre of Mike Furrey who, like Troy Brown, can also play defensive back.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #436
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
I even broke the story on him being white.

With no Borgesesque commentary on how his whiteness will limit his effectiveness for the Pats.

A true journalistic accomplishment.

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #437
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

i hope we eventually get a flere diagram of free agency...
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #438
WVUFAN
College Starter

I met Troy Brown a few years ago, while waiting in line here in Huntington for Spider-Man 2. Nice guy.

His rings are shiny.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #439
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Is Banta-Cain any good?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #440
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Is Banta-Cain any good?

They have size, but are a little slow. Very sure-footed however.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #441
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

It might just be me but Nate Clements looks more like he belongs in the “Smoking weed” thread then the "Free Agency" thread.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 03-06-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #442
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Is Banta-Cain any good?

He's seen pretty limited action. My assessment in what I have seen is he's poor defending the run, not good defending the pass, and a pretty good pass rusher.

YMMV.

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 03-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #443
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
With no Borgesesque commentary on how his whiteness will limit his effectiveness for the Pats.

A true journalistic accomplishment.

Speaking of Borges: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/0...416-9058R.html

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #444
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
He's seen pretty limited action. My assessment in what I have seen is he's poor defending the run, not good defending the pass, and a pretty good pass rusher.

YMMV.

Yes, this TBC to a T. He can rush the QB but do little else. He definitely is not a good tackler and his coverage skills can be determined by the fact that the Pats decided to start Eric Alexander in his place in the AFC Championship game (Alexander's first start of his career) to help cover Dallas Clark, et al. Not to mention that TBC never saw much action until this year and that the Pats were just never comfortable with him on the outside and Vrabel on the inside that they decided to get Seau so TBC didn't have to start. I have no problem with him leaving.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-06-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #445
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Oh, and the Niners signed the greatest receiver ever to not get a fair chance. I guess sooner or later, Lelie was bound to find a team willing to not make him work to be #1.
I was trying to figure out which part of your post was a joke, and I guess it's the first part, because the second part is completely true.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #446
watravaler
High School JV

I'm not a big fan of the Jones move. He is a dancing RB, who absolutely will not fight for an extra yard and he lacks breakaway speed. Add that to the fact that he is old for a RB, and it looks like a good deal for Chicago.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #447
Galaril
Pro Starter

I still am shocked that the team with the most cap space over 40 million hasn't signed any free agents and haven't got anyone visiting them yet. The Tennessee Titans
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #448
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I still am shocked that the team with the most cap space over 40 million hasn't signed any free agents and haven't got anyone visiting them yet. The Tennessee Titans

Your wish has been granted. Donte Stallworth is on his way for a visit. Adam Schefter is reporting that Stallworth received an offer from Patriots today after his visit to Foxboro. Stallworth is scheduled to meet March 7 with Titans officials in Tennessee and with the Dolphins on March 8.

It seems the Pats are still not done at WR.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:33 PM   #449
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Agree on all fronts about Welker. Certainly adds something to the return game. In this day of crazy FA money, that contract is not bad and it is long term. He's young, which is definitely important. I just see a lot of upside here. If you saw him play the Pats, he was monster on the underneath stuff. Considering Chad Jackson was a 2nd rounder last year, and looking each day as a bust, I think the Pats wanted a known quantity at that position.
To re-iterate what 7 different Pats fans said, they needed at least 1, probably 2 receivers this year, and especially seeing as they had 2 #1's and a late 2nd, figured a proven Wes Welker was a better gamble than anything they'd get in the draft. (Although I do disagree with whoever said the Pats had done a bad job developing receivers - Jackson's been injured a lot, Bethel Johnson was a bust, but then you have Deion Branch, David Givens and last year Caldwell and Gaffney developing in NE.)

They could still use one more (a deep threat) since Chad Jackson is done at least until training camp and that will kill his rapport with Brady. Randy Moss is the big rumor, but I'd much prefer Joe Horn. Fits the system, a proven #1 a couple years ago with a couple years left in the tank, especially if he's got the chip on his shoulder from "being disrespected" by a bad organization for the past 7/8 years. Shades of Corey Dillon when we got him from the Bengals. (And before any NO fans jump on me, I think Sean Payton is a great coach and your team is finally going in the right direction, but before last offseason you were pretty much a mess. And I blame Tom Benson.)

EDIT - Forgot Stallworth. I figured he was off the radar after the rumors of entering the substance-abuse program, but he fits the need for speed at WR.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-06-2007 at 09:36 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #450
st.cronin
General Manager

This does seem like a very deep draft for wide receivers, though, doesn't it? You would think they'd be able to get somebody good in the second round.

I'm not really complaining ... Welker just doesn't excite me much.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote