Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #101
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
And apparently Pavel Datsuk is trying to use playing in Russia to get the Red Wings to pony up.

Don't know why the Stars are interested in Hatcher, he looked really old and slow when he was in Detroit.

I also don't understand Buffalo's thinking. Satan is an RFA and you don't plan on giving him a qualifying offer, so you think a team will trade for him so that they can make a qualifying offer? Why wouldn't teams just wait 'til he becomes an UFA and then make their offer? They wouldn't have to give up anything then.

I don't see Niedermeyer getting close to the max. The Rangers are more interested in Rafalski.

exactly what I was thinking on all of these.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:25 PM   #102
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

** Unknowledgable NHL Fan Alert **

Do the Blackhawks have ANYTHING to look forward to? At all? Ever?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:25 PM   #103
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
TSN has got a few interesting reports.

I also don't understand Buffalo's thinking. Satan is an RFA and you don't plan on giving him a qualifying offer, so you think a team will trade for him so that they can make a qualifying offer? Why wouldn't teams just wait 'til he becomes an UFA and then make their offer? They wouldn't have to give up anything then.

The article perhaps is a bit confusing here. Buffalo is mulling over the idea of qualifying him so they could turn around and trade him right away. He's an asset right now but one that really isn't interested in sticking around anymore.

I think the reason Buffalo is hesitating is because if they DO qualify him, he'll be making money that might be a bit higher than his true market value, thus turning off teams that might be interested in trading for him. Buffalo doesn't want to get stuck paying a guy whose heart isn't in to playing for the club.

The Sabres are stocked at right wing right now, with J.P. Dumont, Maxim Afinogenov, Ales Kotalik already on the roster and guys like Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek ready for the show as well. The sometimes lazy Satan, while a dynamic player, is expendable.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #104
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua

No.

They do have some good young players and their current cap situation looks good (14 players at $19 million), so they can spend on some big name FAs if they want to. The question is, are they going to spend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
The article perhaps is a bit confusing here. Buffalo is mulling over the idea of qualifying him so they could turn around and trade him right away. He's an asset right now but one that really isn't interested in sticking around anymore.

I think the reason Buffalo is hesitating is because if they DO qualify him, he'll be making money that might be a bit higher than his true market value, thus turning off teams that might be interested in trading for him. Buffalo doesn't want to get stuck paying a guy whose heart isn't in to playing for the club.

Ah, okay. That makes more sense but like you mentioned the qualifiying offer would be above his value. According to the CBA FAQ, the QO would be 100% his previous year's salary which I believe was around $4 million. I don't think at $4 million, teams will be calling.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #105
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

Winning a world championship before the Cubs do?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #106
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yes. Given the new schedule, they can look forward to getting beaten by the Red Wings on a more relevently consistent basis.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #107
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Winning a world championship before the Cubs do?

I wish I had a witty response but even though technically I do not know for sure, a hockey hotbed such as Toronto has surely produced the NHL equivalent to the New York Yankees in championships and sport domination so I digress.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 07-26-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #108
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I wish I had a witty response but even though technically I do not know for sure, a hockey hotbed such as Toronto has surely produced the NHL equivalent to the New York Yankees in championships and sport domination so I digress.

Come on. Didn't you know that, according to Larry "Christmas Tree" Tanenbaum, the Leafs are the #1 franchise in the NHL. Here's his quote:

"'We are the No. 1 franchise in the NHL,'' Tanenbaum said. ''As far as I'm concerned we will always continue to be the No. 1 franchise in the NHL. We acted when we had these discussions with our colleagues at the governors meetings."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #109
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

You've got the Maple Leafs mixed up with the Canadiens.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 07-26-2005 at 03:53 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:05 PM   #110
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Because Hatcher is popular with fans!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #111
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Come on. Didn't you know that, according to Larry "Christmas Tree" Tanenbaum, the Leafs are the #1 franchise in the NHL.
We'll, you can't really argue that in terms of off-the-ice performance. They're at or near the top in revenue, and in terms of world-wide fan base and overall fan loyalty they blow most of the league away.

Now on-the-ice is a different topic (although in fairness, the Ballard years shouldn't count). But why would you expect a suit like Tanenbaum to be talking about the actual games? He probably doesn't watch them.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #112
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
We'll, you can't really argue that in terms of off-the-ice performance. They're at or near the top in revenue, and in terms of world-wide fan base and overall fan loyalty they blow most of the league away.

Now on-the-ice is a different topic

Sounds like your Maple Leafs have a lot more in common with the Cubs than you may care to admit.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:11 PM   #113
jbmagic
Pro Starter

KINGS RE-SIGN VETERAN LUC ROBITAILLE
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the NHL’s highest-scoring left wing.

my favorite King Player.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #114
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds like your Maple Leafs have a lot more in common with the Cubs than you may care to admit.
Bartman = Fraser
Old 07-26-2005, 04:19 PM   #115
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the NHL’s highest-scoring left wing.

my favorite King Player.

About 15 hours late on that one. Someone needs to keep better track of this thread.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...3&postcount=83
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:34 PM   #116
bbor
Pro Starter

Niedermeyer is'nt worth max money????

I would beg to differ.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #117
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

my favorite King Player.

Also used to babysit my friend's roomate.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #118
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Niedermeyer is'nt worth max money????

I would beg to differ.

Even if he is, I don't think he's going to get close to it... the max is ~7 Million, right? I'm thinking he'll sign for $4-5 Million.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:18 PM   #119
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Depends on who he signs for. I hope the Devs retain him.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #120
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

7.7 mil, I believe.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:16 AM   #121
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Okay, I take back my I don't think Niedermeyer is worth the max. The reason being is that it looks like Pronger will be leaving St. Louis and it looks like he will get the max (or close to it). If Pronger can get close to the max then I think Niedermeyer can get it. I guess I find it weird that the players being rumored as getting max deals are defensemen.

Boston has made offers to UFAs Gonchar and Lapointe and RFAs Thorton, Samsonov, and Axelsson.

Phoenix made offers to RFAs Derek Morris and Paul Mara.
Ottawa exercise their option to keep Dominick Hasek.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:38 AM   #122
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I finally took a look at that Eklund's rumor site. Not bad. Though it saddens me that the Wings are never mentioned in the rumors.

While Colorado will have a tough of things, this will be no cakewalk for the Wings either. Buying Whitney, Hatcher, and McCarty out gave them some wiggle room, they are still going to be hard pressed to fill out the roster:

Does Stevie Y come back? If so, for how much? Does Shanny exercise his option and stay with the club? How much will it cost to bring Zetterberg back into the fold? The Datysuk negotiations are going to be a bitch. He's already playing the "I can play in Russia" card. Even assuming they bring back all the above as well as Holmstrom (he's great at being Holmstrom: the guy who stands in front of the net, gets pounded, and scores on the occasional deflection, but not amazing on 5 on 5) and Jason Williams (fringe guy), they are still need to fill the roster with a first and second line winger.

The defense looks suspect at this moment as well. Lidstrom is great. Fischer has been progressing well. Kronwall is ready to step in. But after that? Dandenault, Bryan Helmer, and Jamie Rivers? A 43 year old Chris Chelios? Doesn't instill fear in the opposing side.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #123
Simms
FOBL Commish

05-06 Schedule released: http://www.nhl.com/schedules/index.html

Brutal stretch for the Leafs in October.

Oct 5 2005, WedHOMESenators
7:30 PM ET-
Oct 8 2005, SatHOMECanadiens
7:00 PM ET-
Oct 10 2005, MonAWAYSenators
Oct 11 2005, TueHOMEFlyers
Oct 14 2005, FriAWAYThrashers
Oct 15 2005, SatAWAYCanadiens
Oct 20 2005, ThuHOMEHurricanes
Oct 22 2005, SatHOMEFlyers
Oct 24 2005, MonHOMEBruins
Oct 27 2005, ThuAWAYBruins
Oct 29 2005, SatHOMESenators
Oct 31 2005, MonHOMEPanthers
Old 07-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #124
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

Tuomo Ruutu
Mark Bell
Kyle Calder
Steve McCarthy
Brent Seabrooke
David Bolland
Cam Barker

Decent young players that could be helped out with a few FA aquisitions. They need a goalie though...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:45 AM   #125
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
05-06 Schedule released: http://www.nhl.com/schedules/index.html

Brutal stretch for the Leafs in October.

Oct 5 2005, WedHOMESenators
Oct 8 2005, SatHOMECanadiens
Oct 10 2005, MonAWAYSenators
Oct 11 2005, TueHOMEFlyers
Oct 14 2005, FriAWAYThrashers
Oct 15 2005, SatAWAYCanadiens
Oct 20 2005, ThuHOMEHurricanes
Oct 22 2005, SatHOMEFlyers
Oct 24 2005, MonHOMEBruins
Oct 27 2005, ThuAWAYBruins
Oct 29 2005, SatHOMESenators
Oct 31 2005, MonHOMEPanthers

10-0-2
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #126
Karim
College Starter

Rumours are flying fast and furious among Flames fans. Sutter leaked yesterday that the budget could be pushed up to $34 million. And he's been more giddy than usual.
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/thep...3-4ee64680eef5

I know the new economics are supposed to help small-market teams compete but the thought of an 'A-list' free agent actually playing in Calgary is remarkable.

It's still a pipedream but at least we can dream... the last CBA didn't even allow us to do that!
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #127
Booj
High School JV

The Canadiens also have a hard schedule to start the year... back to back games to start off the year (at Boston and at Rangers) and later in the month they play their first home game against Ottawa and have an away game in Atlanta the next night. Then they have 3 days off and go back home to play the Leafs...

Wierd..
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #128
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

speaking of schedules, I think the idea of having every team playing on opening night is a GREAT one and I hope this one becomes a yearly thing.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #129
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Sounds like the Rangers will give a qualifying offer to Kevin Weekes and he will be their starting netminder. One of the young guys (Labarbera, Lundquist, or Montoya) will be backing up. It also looks like Leetch will return.

The Toronto Star is saying that while the Leafs are interested in Scott Niedermayer, they may not be willing to offer him the max. The Star also says that the Leafs are interested in bringing in Jason Allison.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #130
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Somewhat off-topic... but I can't wait for the September update of EHM!!!!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #131
Booj
High School JV

The Flyers saved their behinds and got Carter and Richards signed. I'm too lazy to get a link, but its on TSN.ca right now.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #132
Booj
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Somewhat off-topic... but I can't wait for the September update of EHM!!!!

Seconded!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #133
Johnny93g
College Starter

In toronto, just about everyone with any skill is rumoured to be coming....

Gonchar, Allison, Jeff O'neil, have all said they would like to play here

Domi, Roberts, and Niewy would like to return

Niedermyer said Toronto is an option

Forsberg and Naslund apparantly want to play together, and Sundin is recruiting them, so the rumours are going crazy with that

Foote, apparantly also wants to come here....

Ofcourse, this all cant happen unless everyone takes a extreme pay cut, or the salary cap baloons to 60 mil for us alone.....but i can see a few, ecspecially Gonchar, Allison, and O'neal taking pay cuts to be a Leaf
TML
Old 07-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #134
Johnny93g
College Starter

I forgot to mention the obvious one...Lindros, will likely take a pay cut to come here, if JFJ wants him
TML
Old 07-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #135
Booj
High School JV

Lindros and Allison are helped by a clause in the CBA that for players with 400 games who have played less than (100?) games in the past 2 years can have bonus-filled contracts and count less towards the cap.

I'm not sure what the exact clause is so I may be wrong... but I heard Allison talking about it on OTR.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #136
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj
Lindros and Allison are helped by a clause in the CBA that for players with 400 games who have played less than (100?) games in the past 2 years can have bonus-filled contracts and count less towards the cap.

I'm not sure what the exact clause is so I may be wrong... but I heard Allison talking about it on OTR.

I read the same thing talking about Forsberg.....that he can accept a low base salary, wich would count against the cap, and easily attainable bonus, that wont count, so ya, that would probably count for Allison and Lindros too
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 07-27-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #137
henry296
College Starter

Would those bonus count against next year's cap like the NFL?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #138
Booj
High School JV

I truly find it sickening how much Leaf fans/Toronto media feel they will be ADDING talent this offseason.

Sure, the cap will mean players will get to choose where to go, but to think guys like Niedermayer would take pay cuts to play in Toronto is laughable. I don't think Niedermayer will go somewhere just for the money, but Toronto is in one of the worst positions under the cap as we speak and can't offer him more than 5 million, realistically if they want to bring most of their other guys back. The Toronto media and fans are in for a disappointment once the offseason ends. I just don't see how it will all fit... maybe I'm just naive though.

Last edited by Booj : 07-27-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #139
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Would those bonus count against next year's cap like the NFL?

I think if the bonus' cause the total salary to go over the 39 million figure....I guess its not a great incetive to do that
TML
Old 07-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #140
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Dola..

I truly find it sickening how much Leaf fans/Toronto media feel they will be ADDING talent this offseason.

Sure, the cap will mean players will get to choose where to go, but to think guys like Niedermayer would take pay cuts to play in Toronto is laughable. I don't think Niedermayer will go somewhere just for the money, but Toronto is in one of the worst positions under the cap as we speak and can't offer him more than 5 million, realistically if they want to bring most of their other guys back. The Toronto media and fans are in for a disappointment once the offseason ends. I just don't see how it will all fit... maybe I'm just naive though.

I dont think Niewdermyer would take a pay cut, i think he will want close to the max...not sure if he'll get that though......but from what ive seen, i would not be surprised in the least if Gonchar, O'neal, Allison, Lindros, Domi, Roberts, and Niewy take pay cuts, and if the reports are accurate about Forsberg, him too, though that one is hard to believe....
TML
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #141
Booj
High School JV

If Forsberg and Naslund pull a Kariya-Selanne and do it in Toronto, I will forever hold a grudge over any Swede I ever see.

That is all.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:52 PM   #142
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
I forgot to mention the obvious one...Lindros, will likely take a pay cut to come here, if JFJ wants him

If they sign him I will blow up the ACC...

Quote:

If they buy out Nolan, and Belfour... they are only at ~$23 Million. That's not exactly a terrible position.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #143
Booj
High School JV

Dola... Where do you guys see Pronger ending up? There are a few teams that have needs at defense, but most of them do not have the cap room. A team like NJ, who can't afford Niedermayer and Rafalski don't have the room to get Pronger... the Rangers will probably go after Rafalski...

I'd love to see him with the Canadiens who let Brisebois go and have a couple of spots open on D go after one of the big names... they have the room. I really doubt that they'll do anything, but I am very excited to see what Gainey can pull things from under his hat-- and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes after Hatcher who he had in Dallas.

I also, although I liked Kovalev when he was here, would love the Habs to make a run at Glen Murray. He is bigger, and I think better than Kovalev and more importantly he plays bigger. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal try and bring Selanne to play with Koivu, who he has always loved playing with in international tournaments. The thing is, Montreal is absolutely stacked with Offensive prospects who would be hurt playing anywhere other than on the 1st 2 lines... guys like Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn have 1st 2 lines potential and I don't think they'd be with the Canadiens on a defensive role.

There have been rumors flying around here that Montreal is making a stab to move up and grab Anaheim's #2. I'm not so sure why they would do that... I am sure it's because they are high on Johnson, Pouliot and Ryan and are worried they will be going 2-3-4. I doubt they want to be "stuck" with Brule at #5. They need size, they always have and that's why I'd love to see Pronger. With Quintal gone, the Canadiens don't have anybody who had 100+ PIM in 2003-04 and I think that is the one spot they need to improve.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:00 PM   #144
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
If they buy out Nolan, and Belfour... they are only at ~$23 Million. That's not exactly a terrible position.
Yeah, this idea that the Leafs are in so much trouble with the cap is a bit of a myth. They have a lot of money tied up in a handful of players, but the Nolan buyout helps that quite a bit. They have a few kids who will be in the lineup this year making less than a million, and unlike teams like Detroit or Colorado they have no RFA's who will need multi-million qualifying offers. If they cut Belfour they'd actually be in really good shape financially (although without a goalie, so...)
Old 07-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #145
Booj
High School JV

Quote:

I highly doubt they will buy out Belfour for one reason.... What happens if they don't get Khabibulin? There are at least 7 teams interested in Khabby and there is no viable options besides him.

The Leafs might think they are OK with Tellqvist but I highly doubt it.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #146
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
The Leafs might think they are OK with Tellqvist but I highly doubt it.

I doubt they'll cut him too, and I agree Telly isn't a viable option... he isn't going to be a NHL starter of any quality. However, I think the smart thing to do is cut him, even if it means we take a hit in quality between the pipes in the case we don't get Khabby. I'd rather take advantage of the FA market this year then keep a goalie who'll likely retire or soon, and is an injury risk.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #147
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
If Forsberg and Naslund pull a Kariya-Selanne and do it in Toronto, I will forever hold a grudge over any Swede I ever see.

That is all.

I'm a Leafs fan and I don't want that to happen either. I'd rather them build a team without these buddy, buddy signings...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #148
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
However, I think the smart thing to do is cut him, even if it means we take a hit in quality between the pipes in the case we don't get Khabby. I'd rather take advantage of the FA market this year then keep a goalie who'll likely retire or soon, and is an injury risk.
See, I'd rather they hold on to him for one more year, then free up all the money next year when the really good FA class comes.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #149
bbor
Pro Starter

Toronto will prolly sign nobody.

The Toronto media is just ridiculis....any name that is planning on declaring F.A they assume will come to Toronto.

Sometimes i hate the media here.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #150
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola... Where do you guys see Pronger ending up?

TSN is reporting that the Blues have made a qualifying offer to Pronger, which will pay him $7.22 million this season. With Tkachuk's and Weight's deals equally $13.33 million that means the Blues will have tied up 52% of their max cap capabilities on THREE players.

Wow. Just wow.

While there is still time left before the buy out deadline things, so far, are shaping up very differently than many had expected. If Pronger is worth $7.2 million and Lidstrom $7.8, I can't see Niedermayer settling for anything less than $7 million.