Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Myron Cope - Creator of the Terrible Towel - Passes Away

I know there are a lot of Steeler fans on the board so I thought I'd pass this along. I am not much of a Steeler fan but growing up near the city I did enjoy listening to Myron.

Quote:
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Myron Cope, colorful sports broadcaster and reporter whose Terrible Towel remains the banner of the Steelers nation, has died.

In declining health since even before his 2005 retirement after a record 35 raucous years in the Steelers broadcast booth, Mr. Cope died this morning.

He was 78.

One of the last of the great sports characters, Mr. Cope's life and career were nothing less than book-worthy, even if he had to write it himself. Twice.

"Double Yoi" it was called both times, the second an updated version of the original 2002 volume, the title immortalizing one of Cope's signature exclamations, which, along with "Okle-dokle," "Dumbkopf!", and "How do?", became so familiar to his radio and TV audiences.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-27-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
thesloppy
Pro Starter

As I'm sure many of y'all fans of out of state teams did, one of the first things I did when I learned to effectively tool around the internet was to locate radio broadcasts of my favorite team. Cuz I like the Lions, and cuz they typically suck ballz at stuff, they were one of the teams that seemingly never had a home radio team that broadcast online (until recently). All of which is to say that I ended up listening to a lot of NFL radio teams, and Myron was always a blast to listen to, even if (or because) I didn't know what the fuck he was talking about half the time...same goes for the geezers in DC who could easily spend an entire game talking about historic ham sandwiches.

R.I.P. Myron.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Aww. R.I.P.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

This was unexpected. Myron, you will always be the voice I hear in my head during Steeler games. Rest in Peace and tell the rest of the boys hi, when you see them.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

yoi.

I obviously didnt live locally, but i absolutely loved hearing this guy on the highlight films for the Steelers for all those years.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Huckleberry
College Starter

Sad news that he passed, of course. But Myron Cope is still a bad word among older Texas Longhorn fans. I didn't know the complete story, but fortunately we have an old guy at Barking Carnival.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

To the big booth in the sky with Jack Fleming.

RIP Myron!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Including the quote bsak has above, alot of good stories about Cope in today's http://www.postgazette.com .

One included there, although not in great detail, is too good to pass up.

Another local sports guy, John Steirgerwald, told about one of his first trips to Cleveland, old Municipal Stadium. The pressbox had no bathroom, but a port-a-potty on the roof of the press box.

At halftime, Cope heads out...and when he returns, a quite obvious spot on his pants. Steigerwald assumes he must have spilled some coffee, but before he could even think about the situation, Cope offers up-
(and you need to read this, aloud, in your best Myron voice)

"Hey Steigerwald...if ya gotta take a piss, make sure you figure out which way the wind is blowing first!"

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 02-28-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote