Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

Car windshield question

OK, here's a stupid question.

I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris. This is one of those cars that has an odd black dot pattern at the top of the windshield, behind the rear view mirror that acts as the radio antenna.

This morning, I notice there is a HUGE crack running half the length of the windshield down the center of it. I don't know how the crack got there, it wasn't there Sunday morning.

Doesn't matter. I guess I have 2 questions.
1. Would this be an insurance claim, or a warranty claim? I have to assume there was something that caused the crack, but I have no idea what. I am guessing it is an insurance claim, but didn't know if anybody had experience otherwise.

2.When they replace the windshield, should I expect them to also replace the antenna bit as well? Is that extra? Standard? Would they know to do that, or would I need to make sure while they are repairing it that it is being done?

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

You ask tough questions.

Sometimes a little tiny crack can spread overnight if the temperature swings.

A few years ago, I had a rock ding my windshield on a hot summer day. My father-in-law came by that afternoon, and sprayed the property down with his water truck to keep the dust down. He sprayed the windshield, and I had a crack similar to what you describe.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would assume the cost to report it to your insurance wouldn't be worth your premium going up in the long run
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have no clue about the antenna issue, but reporting this to your insurance doesn't necessarily mean your insurance will go up, and a number of states do not permit insurers to apply the deductible to replace front windshields. So, you may be entitled to have the windshield replaced for nothing, with minimal (or no) effect on your rate. Since it's essentially free, I'd point-blank ask about whether this, by itself, would affect your rate.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I've had the windshield replaced a couple of times. I have a fee, I think it's 100, for replacement, but that's cheaper than doing it myself. It doesn't effect my insurance rate.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would say that, unless this is some sort of widespread manufacturer's problem (which is not unheard of), that you would file this with your insurance.

Most policies have a small ($100) deductible to replace your windshield, that they will waive if you have it repaired, rather than replaced. If you have a large crack, it will almost certainly need replaced. I would imagine that the antenna would be removed and replaced, as their goal is to indemnify you back to your pre-incident status.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

SC has a zero deductible law on windshield claims. Got real intimate with it when my wife had her camaro, the wind would blow hard and the winshield would shatter.

The new windshield will be identical to the old, when they replace it you will not see a difference. Oh and they shouldd come to your work and cause you no more grief than a phone call. They will place a few stupid looking pieces of tape on it and tell you to leave them for X time. LISTEN TO THEM. When a windshield blows out at 70mph, you look even more stupid than driving with big blue tape on your car.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I've had 3 windshields replaced in the last 5-6 years and my insurance has never gone up. At most you'll just be on the hook for the comprehensive damage deductible.

Working through the insurance, they will replace the same window that they took out.

Chances are you won't be able to get this done through the car warranty because they will probably see it as road damage or vandalism and they won't cover that.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quick bit of research and I don't see a no deductible provision in Ohio.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
Horizon
n00b

You know I always wondered what happened to those Front Windshield antennas that I saw in a lot of trucks from the 80s.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
SnDvls
Pro Starter

when you call in the windshield claim to your insurance co. they will ask if you windshield has those "black dots" so they can replace it with the same.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote