Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Up-converting DVD players worth it?

The idea of me having 100+ DVDs and buying a BR player and to try and replace all of them sounds insane to me. So, I'm looking then at these up-coverters. Are they worth it? Do they actually make things close to HD?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
The idea of me having 100+ DVDs and buying a BR player and to try and replace all of them sounds insane to me. So, I'm looking then at these up-coverters. Are they worth it? Do they actually make things close to HD?

A lot will depend on your setup, but in my opinion, while they improve DVD's, they still don't reach the same level as Blu-Ray's (never watched HD-DVD in person, though I'd assume similar results). That said, most BR players will upconvert as well, so depending on the price difference, you could get the best of both worlds, upconverting your currently library and if you end up preferring the look of HD over up conversion, then you can start to build in that format.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Buy a ps3, and then just start buying new movies from here on out on Blu Ray. Upconvert is better than standard, but not nearly as good as blu ray. A lot depends on the scaler in your tv too, better TV's can do good shit with upconverted dvds.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

all the DVD's I have...the stupid studios can suck my big meaty cock. There's no way i'm replacing my $4k in DVD's.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-16-2008 at 07:02 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

As Travis said, if you really don't plan on EVER going Blu-Ray, just buy yourself a cheap Toshiba A-2 and use that as your upconverting player. The cost will be pretty close to a decent upconverter. You'll have better results and you can load up on cheap HD stuff once they officially "lose."

edit to add "officially" so MBBF doesn't jump on me .

Last edited by Logan : 02-16-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
As Travis said, if you really don't plan on EVER going Blu-Ray, just buy yourself a cheap Toshiba A-2 and use that as your upconverting player. The cost will be pretty close to a decent upconverter. You'll have better results and you can load up on cheap HD stuff once they officially "lose."

edit to add "officially" so MBBF doesn't jump on me .

Sorry, I should clarify. I was trying to be relatively neutral in my first post, but my suggestion for getting a HD player would still fall in the BR camp (and more specifically a PS3 based on valuation for performance as a BR player). If for no other reason than to open up the possibility of starting a HD movie collection in the future. Assuming the current trend continue s in the HD "war" there'll be a massive sell off of HD-DVD (already started in some ways), but if you're not sold on going HD now, hard to sink the sort of money into that fire sale to make it worth going the HD-DVD player route while the product is still available.

As far as future proofing yourself, the PS3 is solid in the sense that it will be upgraded regularily to comply with BR advances as well.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The HDA-3 comes with 2 movies 300, bourne identity(and I think 5 free ones via mail). It's around 150. A pretty good HDupconvert is going to be around 100 anyways. Obviously not to be bought as a format solution, but pretty solid deal for an upconvert(like logan said).
Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
rowech
Pro Starter

Does the PS3 upconvert regular DVDs?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yes
Old 02-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rebuying a lot of movies on blu ray is probably not an option for the financially normal ones of us, but there's no reason not to consider buying the ps3 right now and blu rays from this day forward. I bought cassette tapes for a year or two too long, now I regret that I didn't upgrade and buy cd's.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
rowech
Pro Starter

If the PS3 upconverts then it's a no-brainer for me....I didn't think it did.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Shepp
High School Varsity

I would need to double check to be sure but I think I read in the cnet.com review of the PS3 that it did upscale DVD's as well as play Blue-Ray.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #13
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:

It depends on your TV. I would expect a TV with good scaling to do at least as well as a cheaper upscaling player. I'm not sure how the best TVs compare to the best upscaling players.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 02-17-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
Tigercat
College Starter

PS3s do upscale, it became possible with one of PS3s firmware fixes.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:

Not really. Most large TVs have pretty good upconverters in them at this point, so unless you're topping the $150 mark for an upconverting player, you're not going to see any improvement. If you do top the $150 mark, you're better off buying something like a Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD player, does a great job upconverting, 7 or so free movies) or saving up some more and buying a blu-ray player.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #16
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
PS3s do upscale, it became possible with one of PS3s firmware fixes.
And they do a DAMN good job of it, better than most of the sub $200 upscaling players.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #17
rowech
Pro Starter

So a couple of you are confirming that the PS3 does upscale?
Old 02-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
So a couple of you are confirming that the PS3 does upscale?

Yes, was added as part of 1.80 firmware upgrade. Been watching old DVDs in higher resolutions since I got the PS3 last week.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9722723-1.html
Old 02-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #19
rowech
Pro Starter

Well....that pretty much does it for me then. Just a matter of when now.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

I know my PS3 was capable of upscale from the first firmware update I applied, but I admit I didn't look to see if it could prior to that firmware application.

I just know that once everything was applied, I started poking around in the options and found an option to turn upconvert on/off.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #21
Tigercat
College Starter

So I am watching Lawrence of Arabia on the PS3....

Amazing.

I had no idea such an old movie could look this good on a HDTV. Of course we aren't talking about a run of the mill movie in terms of cinematography, but still, I didn't expect it to look this good with the upconvert.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm not paying $400 for a blue ray player, period.

Look for the Toshiba A3 player or something similar, which run about $100. Heck, you can get an HD-DVD player with 10 free movies for about $100-$150, which will also upscale normal DVDs.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #23
SnDvls
Pro Starter

so is there a converter to play BR DVD's in a "in car" player?

if not I'm sticking with the same sucky Disney Princess movies so the kids can watch them in the car vs. BR which are worthless to me in the car.

Last edited by SnDvls : 02-27-2008 at 10:09 AM.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #24
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
so is there a converter to play BR DVD's in a "in car" player?

if not I'm sticking with the same sucky Disney Princess movies so the kids can watch them in the car vs. BR which are worthless to me in the car.

Nope, you'd have to replace your DVD player in the car with a Blu-Ray player, and I really haven't seen any mobile BR devices, but I'm sure they are coming down the pike.

There are utilities you can use to rip BR to a hard drive then re-encode so it will fit on a DVD, but it is a pretty time consuming process.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #25
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
all the DVD's I have...the stupid studios can suck my big meaty cock. There's no way i'm replacing my $4k in DVD's.
I wonder what all those shut-ins at DVDTalk.com are doing. Some of those guys have...like...billions of movies.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #26
Daimyo
College Starter

there really isn't any reason to replace DVDs you already own. they look really good up-converted.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Nope, you'd have to replace your DVD player in the car with a Blu-Ray player, and I really haven't seen any mobile BR devices, but I'm sure they are coming down the pike.

There are utilities you can use to rip BR to a hard drive then re-encode so it will fit on a DVD, but it is a pretty time consuming process.

That's not totally correct. Blu-ray discs will have a standard-def version of the movie on the disc that can be transferred to a memory card. The process isn't time consuming at all, lasting no more than a couple of minutes.

You can buy portable DVD players for the car that run $150 and up that will accept memory cards. Those players should be available for as little as $100 by the upcoming holidays, which isn't much more expensive than the portable DVD players currently available. The movie can be played on any media device that accepts memory cards (video iPod, video MP3, portable and home DVD players, PS3, PSP, etc.).

In other words, you don't need a Blu-ray player in every location to watch the movie.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
there really isn't any reason to replace DVDs you already own. they look really good up-converted.

Also, HD visuals on a 6-8" monitor won't look much different (if at all) than the standard def version, hence the reason that the portable movie file included on BR discs is standard def.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #29
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post

It really depends on the DVD. Some of the DVDs out there are essentially just the VHS tape upscaled and copied onto a disk. With (most) blu-ray movies they've gone back to the original film masters and recopied the film.

Some films, its a drastic difference. Some stuff (like 28 days later, blair witch project, etc) were just shot with so low technology that nothing we do will make them better. Some stuff, like the bond films, were shot on 60/70mm films, and look MUCH better with a new telecine job.

If the original source is really good (and the transfer is good), the movies on blu-ray look much better. If the original source isn't good, theres not a damn thing you can do about it.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wonder if Belichuck's tapes transfer over well.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's not totally correct. Blu-ray discs will have a standard-def version of the movie on the disc that can be transferred to a memory card. The process isn't time consuming at all, lasting no more than a couple of minutes.

You can buy portable DVD players for the car that run $150 and up that will accept memory cards. Those players should be available for as little as $100 by the upcoming holidays, which isn't much more expensive than the portable DVD players currently available. The movie can be played on any media device that accepts memory cards (video iPod, video MP3, portable and home DVD players, PS3, PSP, etc.).

In other words, you don't need a Blu-ray player in every location to watch the movie.

You keep mentioning "memory card" as something generic, but the docs mention "Memory Stick" which is a Sony format. I have yet to see any examples that mention Compact Flash or SD as formats this is going to work with.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #32
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
You keep mentioning "memory card" as something generic, but the docs mention "Memory Stick" which is a Sony format. I have yet to see any examples that mention Compact Flash or SD as formats this is going to work with.

Except for the MacWorld demonstration that didn't use a Memory Stick?

The PS3 doesn't know the difference between different memory card types. It doesn't care.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #33
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post

The PS3 doesn't know the difference between different memory card types. It doesn't care.

Yeah, I'm not sure why cartman carries on this debate. It's a file that will work for all save formats, not just the Sony memory card. The PS3 alone has 4 memory card slots that can be used for this specific purpose and only one of them is a proprietary Sony card format. Also, the universal HDD option in the PS3 makes it perfectly clear that they aren't using the PS3 as a way to make money off of proprietary products.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-27-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #34
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post

The Macworld demo showed him adding the copy to iTunes, so it could be used on an iPod or an iPhone. That is basically the same functionality announced before where you could put a copy onto a PSP or Memory Stick. The PS3 does know which port a memory format is plugged into and its format, and there can definitely be rules applied to which types of format can receive certain types of content.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #35
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why cartman carries on this debate. It's a file that will work for all save formats, not just the Sony memory card. The PS3 alone has 4 memory card slots that can be used for this specific purpose and only one of them is a proprietary Sony card format. Also, the universal HDD option in the PS3 makes it perfectly clear that they aren't using the PS3 as a way to make money off of proprietary products.

Show me the documentation that references other media than Memory Stick, and I'll admit that it will run on any kind of memory card format. Everything I've seen references PSP/Memory Stick.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #36
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Nice.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #38
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Show me the documentation that references other media than Memory Stick, and I'll admit that it will run on any kind of memory card format. Everything I've seen references PSP/Memory Stick.

Show me the documentation where it says it wont run on anything but memory stick. You're speculating with no evidence. Given the flexibility of EVERYTHING ELSE on the PS3, I think its much more likely that they ARE able to use other formats. They wouldn't have put sd-flash readers in the PS3 if they intended to lock that format out.

The PSP plays Mpeg-4, right? Why do you think its going to be anything but that?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #39
cartman
Death Herald

Not sure why the PS3 is the focus of your posts. I'm talking about the "portable copy" that is slated to be included in the BR2.0 spec. The only public demonstrations of this so far include a Memory Stick/PSP demo, and the Steve Jobs putting a copy into iTunes for an video iPod/iPhone to be able to play. I'm not aware of any other demos of this upcoming feature, if there are I'm interested in hearing about them. Both of those scenarios that have been done could include DRM components. Not sure how that equates to "speculating with no evidence".

Last edited by cartman : 02-27-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #40
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Not sure why the PS3 is the focus of your posts. I'm talking about the "portable copy" that is slated to be included in the BR2.0 spec. The only public demonstrations of this so far include a Memory Stick/PSP demo, and the Steve Jobs putting a copy into iTunes for an video iPod/iPhone to be able to play. I'm not aware of any other demos of this upcoming feature, if there are I'm interested in hearing about them. Both of those scenarios that have been done include DRM components. Not sure how that equates to "speculating with no evidence".

You do realize that Sony's press release mentioned NOTHING of the PSP, or Memory stick, right? Thats just whats been put in during media coverage. The press release said "laptops and other devices". I see no reason to believe this is some sort of Memory Stick conspiracy like you seem to believe, especially once PC style drives become more common.