Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Any folks using TiVO with Cable service?

I'm going to be switching from the Verizon FIOS DVR to TiVO (either HD, or Series 3), can't wait.. Found a box for $250, new, and couldn't resist taking the plunge

I really missed the features of my DirecTivo (the FIOS is limited to about 60-90 hours of storage, the TiVO STARTS at 180 hours, and allows you to hook up an eSATA hard drive for another 300 hours of storage), as well as the ability for the Tivo to automatically record recommendations for you..

It's going to cost slightly more a month.. (the Verizon FIOS DVR was $19 a month, the TiVO service costs $17 or so a month, and the CableCARD's required to make the Tivo work with the incoming feed are $4 each.. not sure if it requires one or two cablecard-m's) But the features (especially with the NetFlix/Amazon Unbox option) and the extra storage is worth it, never mind the problems with the DVR units I've had...

anyone else make the switch from their cable company DVR to TiVO?

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

Didn't make a switch, but I recently got on board with TiVo with a Series 2. It's only been a few months, but I can't imagine being without it now. Series 2 is only 80 hours (at the lowest quality) of SD, but with TiVo's software, I can move stuff between my TiVo and PC. I have a 1 TB external hard drive that I've been saving college and pro football games on (as well as the pre-game shows and highlight shows, some movies, the World Series, etc.).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

agreed. The new software takes TiVO light years beyond what the competitors are offering. I wanted to get a Series 2, but they didn't support channels above 1000 without hacking, so I held off till I could get a series 3 or HD box.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-11-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

When I switched cable companies I temporarily tried our their bundled DVR and it was horrible. Simply generations behind the Tivo in usability. Like comparing an iPod to a circa 1980s Walkman with all the buttons removed.

Needless to say, we're back on the Tivo now. I'm not sure I could imagine TV without it anymore.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

1000!? I'm still in the Stone Age of under 100 channels.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
Daimyo
College Starter

I used Tivo with RCN and then Comcast for years. Up until a few months back I used a TivoHD with Comcast and it worked very well. You only need one Cablecard M and most cable companies give you the first one for free I think (depends on the provider). The 180 hours is SDTV only. My TivoHD had probably ~20 hours of HD recording.

We switched to Dish Network two months ago because my wife is Chinese and they have a ton of Chinese content. Their DVR is pretty solid, but still worse than TiVo. I really miss Unbox...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
1000!? I'm still in the Stone Age of under 100 channels.

Well, there's only one channel with a number >1000 that I use, but that's Setanta Sports, and as a soccer fan, I fought too hard to get Setanta on FIOS to let it go that easy

There's really 571 channels, and most of them are the usual folks, and all the repeats of HD content, etcetera.

Here's my list:

https://www22.verizon.com/Residentia...?zipCode=02038
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Just to make sure you realize, 180 hours of coverage is for SD. The Series 3 does, I believe, 35 hours of HD programming. The Tivo HD does less. However, you can buy an external HDD and hook it up.

Some cable companies are a pain when trying to get cable cards, but I do believe they are legally required to provide them.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, the Verizon Tech was pretty good when I called to see how it was done, he gave me a number, and told me it required a tech to do the installation when I go through with it. I have a SD TV (if I was trying to record HD, the FIOS DVR box only gets 18 hours, so that's no big deal anyway)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-11-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Just to make sure you realize, 180 hours of coverage is for SD. The Series 3 does, I believe, 35 hours of HD programming. The Tivo HD does less. However, you can buy an external HDD and hook it up.

Some cable companies are a pain when trying to get cable cards, but I do believe they are legally required to provide them.

My understanding with Verizon FIOS, they will issue cable cards, but they do not allow any self installs, so it is an additional work order to have someone come out and install it for you.

On the same note, it is not that unusual to have a verizon fios tech that does not have any experience installing a cable card to do the work. It is usually recommended to record all of the information for the card before installing it.. Also have internet connectivity available just in case you get a tech that prefers to do the initilization over the internet (vs phone)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and I chose to use the FIOS Multi-room DVR instead of going with Tivo. I don't really have too many complaints with the unit, there are some bugs with the code, but I can't tell you how invaluable it is to have my daughter's "Dora the explorer" available in any room of the house at a drop of a hat. (Plus 60 of the 84 hours of saved programs are kid programs on my DVR anyways right now. So I just have all of those programmed to auto-delete them all before any of my stuff)

Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I actually just got my HD XL TiVo setup on Saturday! It's seriously amazing. I know I paid a lot extra for the terabyte hard drive, but it was worth it. With the lifetime deal I paid around $950. Brutal. But totally worth it. I paid $800 for a big standard-sized TiVo back in 2004 but I totally got my money's worth out of it.

I have a multicard (M-card) which is $4/month. That was a nightmare for them to install, BTW. Be sure you don't have any plans for the day when they come to install it. It took THREE trips for them to get it right on mine because they rarely install the cablecards. Very annoying.

But anyway, now I have cable/sports/shows in 1080i (highest setting TiVo supports) and it's mind-blowing. I've had HD gaming for 2 years but this is totally awesome. Seriously. Now I need to buy a bigger HDTV to go with my new HD TiVo.

Next week I'll be teaching the class "How to drain your bank account with 2 purchases"
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
wade moore
lolzcat

I had TiVo for years. Then I got HD when I moved to my new house and I've been using the Cox DVR. I don't particularly like it, but haven't been able to justify that it sucks enough to spend the money it would cost to buy a new TiVo box.

The fact that the Cox DVR can't share between boxes is crap btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

My bro just ripped me a new one.. he found the same deal for the TivoHD box for $180 on their site.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #15
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
My bro just ripped me a new one.. he found the same deal for the TivoHD box for $180 on their site.

Where did you buy it from and for how much?! I assume this is the TivoHD. It shouldn't have cost you much more than that.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #16
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

$250, on the big EB. (I got it confused with the Series 3, which supports ANY eSATA drive add on) the ebay description confused the two :P

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-11-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #17
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Oh. you bought it on ebay for $250? That sucks. Yeah, $250 for the Tivo HD is obviously not so good. That would have been a steal for the Series 3, though.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's the description: I really ought to complain that it's false advertising, but hell, they had a bloody picture of it, and I missed it.

Tivo HD Series 3 New In Box - eBay (item 260310210726 end time Nov-10-08 05:39:00 PST)
Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 AM   #19
wade moore
lolzcat

They called it a Series 3 - I'd complain and demand my money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #20
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Yes, it clearly says Series 3 several times. An HD Tivo is not a Series 3.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

There are Two different Tivo Series 3. One is significantly cheaper then the other, and one doesn't utilize M-cards. Unless they have changed things in the last year.

I know this because the box I have a work for testing uses M-cards.

Sorry meant HD Tivos, there is the Series 3 one and the one that doesn't say it's Series 3.

Last edited by DanGarion : 11-12-2008 at 02:16 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Also FYI the Series 3 one is the one that cannot utilize M-cards multistream ability, you have to have two cards.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #23
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

I'm intrigued. Tell me more.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'm intrigued. Tell me more.
Gah, I need to reread what I type.

Anyway I test equipment for my company from time to time. So I have a Tivo set up in one of the training rooms.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #25
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I desperately want to upgrade from my trusty Series 2 Tivo with a Lifetime subscription to a new Tivo HD, but don't think I can justify the cost and the resultant day or so of my cable dicking around with cable cards.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
There are Two different Tivo Series 3. One is significantly cheaper then the other, and one doesn't utilize M-cards. Unless they have changed things in the last year.

Sorry meant HD Tivos, there is the Series 3 one and the one that doesn't say it's Series 3.

Ok, so seeing the note above, the Series 3 HD Tivo that I'm buying.. will I need two M-cards, two s-cards or one M-Card?

(I was going to complain, but the box has apparently already been mailed, so rather then chew up shipping fees sending it back, and fighting the charge, I'll just eat the difference)
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #27
Daimyo
College Starter

TivoHD can use a single M-Cablecard for dual tuners. Tivo Series 3 needs two Cablecards, one for each tuner.

When I had my TivoHD set up last September, the cable company couldn't tell me on the phone if they had M cards or S cards so I just told them I had two tuners and left it up to them. The installer brought two M-cards and we verified together that it only needed one of them to decode both tuners and so I was only charged for the one.

It wasn't too difficult to install. It took the guy probably about an hour to do, but I've read horror stories from others. In my case the guy who did it was the manager of the installers and he told me came himself because they'd had so much trouble with the cablecards with others... that surely made my experience go smoother!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #28
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Cool. Once I get the box, I'll schedule the Cablecard installation and be around
Old 11-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think I'd miss OnDemand too much with Tivo.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Netflix ability and the abilty to store programs on off TiVo storage makes up for the loss of on demand for me (that and the ability to record suggestions, it was always fun to see what it was suggesting)

Plus 180 hours vs 90 (and by hooking up the eSATA drive, making it 680 vs 90)
Old 11-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #31
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

stupid work. (I'm surprised it didn't catch the double post)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-12-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #32
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I desperately want to upgrade from my trusty Series 2 Tivo with a Lifetime subscription to a new Tivo HD, but don't think I can justify the cost and the resultant day or so of my cable dicking around with cable cards.

I fyou have an HD TV I have no idea how you can live with an SD Tivo. Seems worth it to me, otherwise the purchase of your $2,000 (ish - total guess as to size/etc of TV) TV was a waste.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #33
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

We got a 32" HDTV for about $700. The SD Tivo quality is disappointing, especially when compared to the HD feed. However, the HD Tivo is a lot of money, as is the subscription.

Such are the trials and tribulations....
Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #34
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
We got a 32" HDTV for about $700. The SD Tivo quality is disappointing, especially when compared to the HD feed. However, the HD Tivo is a lot of money, as is the subscription.

Such are the trials and tribulations....

32" and $700 does make it less appealing; although, the Tivo HD is under $200 now. The problem is that you have a lifetime subscription, and you're jumping to $12/mo if you can't get in on a deal to do that again.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #35
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I feel I missed the boat a while ago when they offered to transfer your lifetime subscription to a new TivoHD, so I guess I'm kind of holding out hope that they do that again. Bummer.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #36
DanGarion
Coordinator

Cable Cards can be frustrating, some of it is because there aren't many out there (lack of experience on the tech or the dispatch side), some of it is because the cards are spotty.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully at some point they'll have the true2way stuff down and easily integrated with your computer network. Then you wouldn't even need a box at all.

Last edited by stevew : 11-12-2008 at 04:21 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #38
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

You don't need a box for tivo anymore.

hm. I can't find a link, but I'm rather certain they're coming out with tivo software for you to run on your desktop. (not to link to a tivo, but to run the tivo on your machine)

Old 11-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit. I want to quit my tech support job and work as a verizon cable tech instead.

They actually are going to charge me EIGHTY FREAKING DOLLARS to remove my Verizon DVR and install the two Cablecards into the Tivo.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #40
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Holy shit. I want to quit my tech support job and work as a verizon cable tech instead.

They actually are going to charge me EIGHTY FREAKING DOLLARS to remove my Verizon DVR and install the two Cablecards into the Tivo.

I tried to warn you. Any change to tv service requires a special work order which is I believe generally $20 per unit. Not sure how it got to $80 for you on three items though.. but most people don't realize this because they usually take advantage of the first three tvs are free deal in subscription.

With Fios, they won't let you do a self-install, so you are kind of stuck if you choose to go the tivo route with cable cards.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #41
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Wow, we don't do that here at TWC....
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I did raise enough hell on their billing and support they're giving us our media package (HBO/Cinemax +movie channels for one month free ($30 off) but.. wow.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #43
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did raise enough hell on their billing and support they're giving us our media package (HBO/Cinemax +movie channels for one month free ($30 off) but.. wow.

Hate to break the news, but that is a current ongoing deal that they are virtually giving anyone who asks right now

Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #44
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Hate to break the news, but that is a current ongoing deal that they are virtually giving anyone who asks right now

dola, the other big deal they currently are offering is a few months of free multi-room DVR as well I believe. That one doesn't really apply for you though since you are getting tivo.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #45
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

Grrrrrrrrrrr.. Oh well. Glad I'm going TiVo
Old 11-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #46
Flasch186
Coordinator

Do you still have to lease the DirectTivo HD box from them for ~$250+ and then pay the monthly fee or can you get one off the internet and get them to accept it?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #47
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

you can get a DirecTivo and they support it. Just no new DirecTivos are being sold.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #48
Flasch186
Coordinator

the newest versions that also support HD are available outside of leasing from DTV?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #49
Daimyo
College Starter

I think my install fee was $29. It was supposed to be $29 for each CableCard and then I only needed the one. Can you just drop off the old Verizon equipment at their office yourself to save the service charge for them picking it up? That's what I generally do when I stop using a cable provider.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #50
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't think there is a new version of DirecTivo that does HD. They've announced they will re-partner and have them available next fall.

I'd worry about going with an older DirecTivo HD as AFAIK they only do mpeg2 and the satellite providers seem to be moving to mpeg4 rather quickly now.