Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Sink the bismark - 41% proof beer

From the chaps at BrewDog who brought you the tactical nuclear penguin ....

Sink the Bismarck!

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-09-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Oh boy, I get to hear more complaining about whether or not this is/is not beer.

Also, FYI, proof is double the abv, so this would be 82 proof (in the US)
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

What is that, $60 a bottle? Damn...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yow.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
kiwiLB57
H.S. Freshman Team

I have tried their "Punk IPA" which is fantastic. So hoppy it fries your eyes.

One of the best things about the UK is the beer/ale (well it's not the weather or the standard of Rugby, and what is football all about?).

kiwiLB57

"the run it at da white boy philosophy will not xsist wif out.... da white boys"

Amen
kiwiLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiLB57 View Post
One of the best things about the UK is the beer/ale (well it's not the weather or the standard of Rugby, and what is football all about?).

Beer/Ale is great BUT have you tried 'Scrumpy' ? - it doesn't travel well so you don't tend to find it outside of local pubs (and for some tends to be 'rural' areas rather than London I've found it in).

Scrumpy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its basically incredibly potent alcoholic cider - fantastic stuff, I have some fond memories from my teenage existance quaffing that stuff in Norwich pubs

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-10-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Beer/Ale is great BUT have you tried 'Scrumpy' ? - it doesn't travel well so you don't tend to find it outside of local pubs (and for some tends to be 'rural' areas rather than London I've found it in).

Scrumpy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its basically incredibly potent alcoholic cider - fantastic stuff, I have some fond memories from my teenage existance quaffing that stuff in Norwich pubs

I got hooked on Scrumpy Jack during one of my summers in England. I think I have a couple of bottles left in the fridge. Excellent stuff...has a strong, very full flavor.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
kiwiLB57
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Beer/Ale is great BUT have you tried 'Scrumpy' ?

I haven't tried it! Sounds promising though. I live in mid-Herts at the moment and I am about to spend three months or so in East Anglia so I will keep my eyes out for it.

I had a very fun day sampling Perry at an ale festival at a fantastic country pub in St. Pauls Walden in north-Herts last summer. Do not recall much except that it was very potent. Fantastic stuff.

"the run it at da white boy philosophy will not xsist wif out.... da white boys"

Amen
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I haven't tried it! Sounds promising though. I live in mid-Herts at the moment and I am about to spend three months or so in East Anglia so I will keep my eyes out for it.

Hey they're my old stomping grounds

I lived in Royston just south of Cambridge for a long time and grew up in East Anglia, in a village called Sedgeford near Hunstanton.

PS - If you've a partner who likes Lavender then make sure you visit the Lavender farm at Heacham in Norfolk - my wife loved it (you can buy local pongy stuff there, I hate the stuff having grown up literally down the road from the farm - but Becca is somewhat enchanted with it).
Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hmmmm, top percentage we're producing at our winery is 26% (52 proof). That's a port/fortified wine. You've got some heavy duty stuff there.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Amen.

I know this will sound weird, but one of my favorite memories of living in England was being able to walk out from the town on a cold, drizzly day, across the fields to a warm & cozy country pub and sitting in front of the fire with a good bitter and a good book.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
kiwiLB57
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Hey they're my old stomping grounds

I lived in Royston just south of Cambridge for a long time and grew up in East Anglia, in a village called Sedgeford near Hunstanton.

PS - If you've a partner who likes Lavender then make sure you visit the Lavender farm at Heacham in Norfolk - my wife loved it (you can buy local pongy stuff there, I hate the stuff having grown up literally down the road from the farm - but Becca is somewhat enchanted with it).

Double snap. I had a weekend away in Snettisham at the end of last year and stayed in the Rose & Crown pub with the missus. Drove around the coast to Wells-Next-The-Sea and Cley-Next-The-Sea for a spot of bird watching. Turned out to be a little cold for bird watching, not a bikini in sight. It was December.

I was in Royston on Tuesday night. I had a few beers too many in London after leaving the barracks and fell asleep on the train. I woke up in Royston at around 11pm and had to wait on the platform for 40 mins for a train going back south to Welwyn Garden City. I made sure that I stood for the trip back down to WGC. Her indoors not amused as she had been waiting at the station to pick me up.

Very nice part of the world. Norfolk that is, not Royston train station platform number 1.

Cheers and Beers,

Raymond

Amen
Old 03-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
saldana
Pro Starter

personally, i have not had a beer from BrewDog yet that i actually liked (had about half a dozen)

so between that fact and the fact that i have no idea how you can get enough sugar in an IPA (even with 3 fermentations) without adding TONS of adjuncts to generate 41% abv, i really have no desire to try this.

23 percent in the 2002 WorldWide Stout was had to handle, and that had all the flavors of an RIS to hide the booze.

27 percent in utopias is closer to a scotch than a beer from my perspective and when I drank it with that in mind, i loved it...if i had to call it a beer, i dont really know that i could.

even Avery Mephistopholes at about 17% was a boozy mess and that was about as thick as used motor oil.

i just cant imagine how this isnt "hop acid"
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Her indoors not amused as she had been waiting at the station to pick me up.
Something about this sentence sounds sexy.