Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #3451
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
So you don't think she is anti-Semitic?
I think she is pro-Palestinian. By some people's definition that would make her anti-Semitic. I don't think it necessarily has to be.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #3452
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think she is pro-Palestinian. By some people's definition that would make her anti-Semitic. I don't think it necessarily has to be.

FWIW, the wiki definition is below.

I can see making the distinction between anti-semitic "hostility towards Jews" (as a belief, religion etc.) vs anti-Israel "hostility towards Israel" (the country and its policies). There is a nuance there.

Quote:
Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism) is hostility to, prejudice towards, or discrimination against Jews.[1][2][3] A person who holds such positions is called an antisemite. Antisemitism is considered to be a form of racism.[4][5]

Antisemitism may be manifested in many ways, ranging from expressions of hatred of or discrimination against individual Jews to organized pogroms by mobs or police forces, or even military attacks on entire Jewish communities.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #3453
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm curious what about voting against a missile shield makes her "safely anti-Semitic". Like if I don't think we need a build F-22s, am I "safely anti-American"?

C'mon - you know the semantic games you started here, especially when you decide "oh and Nazi Germany" in the next sentence so let's not feign ignorance when you get called on it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #3454
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm curious what about voting against a missile shield makes her "safely anti-Semitic". Like if I don't think we need a build F-22s, am I "safely anti-American"?

C'mon - you know the semantic games you started here, especially when you decide "oh and Nazi Germany" in the next sentence so let's not feign ignorance when you get called on it.

SI

Yes. I'm not about to lend credence to the accusation by arguing over who has the burden of proof.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #3455
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

It's not the vote itself. It's also the explanation for her present vote (and crying), somewhat one sided IMO. It struck me as anti-Israel and, by default, anti-Semitic. However, I do think it is fair to split the 2 and not assume they are the same if we make the distinction between religion and country.

Quote:
“The damage of this careless process created very real spillover effects into our community,” Ocasio-Cortez wrote. She added that it “created a real sense of panic and horror among those in our community who otherwise engage thoughtfully in these discussions.”

Ocasio-Cortez said that she wept during the vote, saying that she did so for the “complete lack of care for the human beings that are impacted by these decisions.”

“I hope we can take this moment and opportunity to more deeply engage in and grow a true, substantive movement of community support for human rights around the world - which includes cherishing and respecting the human rights of Palestinian people,” she continued.

Question to you - I'll assume you do not believe she is anti-Semitic. Do you believe AOC is anti-Israel?

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-25-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #3456
Edward64
Head Coach

I've only heard about the "Quad" this week. I'm sure there were stuff going on before this summit but am a little (but pleasantly) surprised. It pretty much confirms that Biden is taking China seriously and really hope he can keep us all working well together.

South Korea would have been a natural to make it the "Pent" but suspect it was mutually agreed that SK would have been too much for China. India's involvement is great but they've always been somewhat standoffish so hopefully it'll be a lot closer now militarily and economically.

Quote:
With its first in-person summit at the White House on Friday, the Quad is making its biggest splash yet on a world stage that is increasingly being shaped by China.

U.S. President Joe Biden is scheduled to meet with Prime Ministers Yoshihide Suga of Japan, Scott Morrison of Australia and Narendra Modi of India.

The “quadrilateral security dialogue” among Australia, India, Japan and the United States was once an informal, ongoing discussion between senior officials about naval cooperation.

Now, the Quad is morphing into top-level strategic cooperation on tech, the global economy, security and the pandemic as China’s strength and influence grow. The group’s statements are careful to avoid mentioning China, but the Chinese government nonetheless objects to the Quad as an attempt to derail its rise as a global power.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #3457
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Question to you - I'll assume you do not believe she is anti-Semitic. Do you believe AOC is anti-Israel?

I think one can also acknowledge a bad humanitarian crisis in one of the most complicated geopolitical regions in our world without any clear cut good answer and a lot bad ones. I think there's a distinction between the US's strategic goals with regards to a country and how we view their people.

SI

Old 09-25-2021, 09:11 PM   #3458
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg

This is me. You can be against everything Israel wants the US to do and not be an anti-Semite. Policy positions do not inherently imply motivations and attitudes.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #3459
Edward64
Head Coach

Good news that the $1.2T seems to be split from the larger $3.5T bill. Or do we assume there is backroom consensus on both bills and total $ (before $1.2T is voted on)? Regardless, the $3.5T will be less assuming Pelosi/Biden really can corral the moderates and the progressives together into a compromise. My guess is around $2.5T.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/26/pelo...e-delayed.html
Quote:
U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi reiterated Sunday that she expects the $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill to pass this week, but voting on the legislation may be pushed back from its original Monday timeline.
:
:
The speaker added she’s working to build a consensus on President Joe Biden’s $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill.

The House Budget Committee on Saturday voted to pass the bill and send it to the House floor. Moderate and progressive Democrats have clashed over the size and scope of the package, but Pelosi said Sunday it “seems self-evident” the bill’s price tag will drop.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #3460
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I think one can also acknowledge a bad humanitarian crisis in one of the most complicated geopolitical regions in our world without any clear cut good answer and a lot bad ones. I think there's a distinction between the US's strategic goals with regards to a country and how we view their people.

SI

I'll give their special interest groups credit for defining people as anti-semitic if they won't give a billion-dollar handout to a country. Even the "America First" folks cower in fear.

Israel does not represent every Jewish person. Just as a predominately Muslim or Christian country does not represent everyone of that faith. Israel is an apartheid state, something we usually condemn. I still think we'll look back in 30 years on Israel the same way we look back on apartheid era South Africa.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:05 AM   #3461
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know if there is a world politics thread around here somewhere. If so, the mods can move this there. Germany has moved to the left though we don't know who will be replacing Angela Merkel.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/26/europ...ntl/index.html
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:22 AM   #3462
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't know if there is a world politics thread around here somewhere. If so, the mods can move this there. Germany has moved to the left though we don't know who will be replacing Angela Merkel.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/26/europ...ntl/index.html
There isn't a far-right party claiming the election was stolen and crying for it to be just handed to them?
Old 09-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #3463
Kodos
Resident Alien

Crying and then trying to steal the election is the way all elite democracies function!
Old 09-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #3464
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not sure if these "top brass" actually put something down on paper. Article says "noted, discussion, talked etc." but I want to know if something was written as a presentation or in recap notes etc.

Don't know about this situation, but if there was something I wanted to be sure the client understood my POV, I would put it down somewhere officially.

Top generals contradict Biden, say they urged him not to withdraw from Afghanistan - POLITICO
Quote:
Top generals told lawmakers under oath on Tuesday that they advised President Joe Biden early this year to keep several thousand troops in Afghanistan — directly contradicting the president’s comments in August that no one warned him not to withdraw troops from the country.

The remarkable testimony pits top military brass against the commander-in-chief as the Biden administration continues to face tough questions about what critics are calling a botched withdrawal that directly led to the deaths of 13 American service members, scenes of chaos at the Kabul airport, and the abandonment of American citizens and at-risk Afghans in the war-torn country.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #3465
PilotMan
Head Coach

He would've been excoriated if he didn't follow through and there's no guarantee it would've prevented deaths.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #3466
thesloppy
Pro Starter

'Lying' to the media/public aside I'd practically give Biden more credit if he ignored military advisors and pulled out of Afghanistan anyway. I also agree with Edward that there's an awful lot of context missing from all of that. While a 2,500 man force might be considered 'small' in terms of manpower, how many bases were we supposed to keep open and maintain? How many contractors would be filling in that void? Was the endless funneling of resources and military equipment to the Afghan 'Army' a conveniently unmentioned part of that small force?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-28-2021 at 07:23 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:58 PM   #3467
Edward64
Head Coach

Fascinating battle between centrist vs progressives with Pelosi in the middle. Pelosi seemed hell bent on bringing separate votes this past weekend but guess progressives aren't going down easily.

Not a good week for Biden so far.

Progressives dig in as Pelosi tries to save key vote - POLITICO
Quote:
Progressive leaders on Tuesday declared that a majority of their 100-member caucus still plans to tank President Joe Biden’s infrastructure bill this week without a firm commitment that party leaders can finish their broader social spending package.

And now they have a key ally across the Capitol: Sen. Bernie Sanders.

"I hope that if there is no agreement here in the Senate, we've got to maintain the dual track and it should be defeated,” Sanders (I-Vt.) said Tuesday, following up his remarks with tweets urging House progressives to vote against the infrastructure bill sans a broader agreement.

Liberal Democrats in the House are vowing to oppose the vote Thursday without key details about what the Senate’s most vocal centrists will support — information that was still not immediately anticipated after Biden’s high-stakes meetings with both Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona on Tuesday.

With just two days left for Speaker Nancy Pelosi to lock down commitments on the infrastructure bill, Democratic leaders remain far short of the votes needed for passage. And Manchin and Sinema have yet to say what maximum price tag they would support for the spending bill, the one thing top Democrats think could help unlock progressive support for the infrastructure bill.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #3468
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Forget that bipartisan shit, Biden needs to keep his party on the same track.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #3469
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

American Greatness, a right-wing website, is running a story saying that Kristi Noem is having an affair with Chris Lewandowski. I don't care about the affair, but I'm fascinated wondering which other GOP hopeful is trying to eliminate her.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #3470
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

GOP Senate mavericks (Romney, Collins, Murkowski) and Democratic Senate mavericks (Manchin, Sinema) will all squawk to the press about maybe not being on board with their party majority. But, in the end, the GOP mavericks will vote with their party. The Dem ones really won't.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #3471
Kodos
Resident Alien

Democrats really do seem to love defeating themselves. Just pass the infrastructure bill for now. Do something good while you can.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-29-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #3472
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
GOP Senate mavericks (Romney, Collins, Murkowski) and Democratic Senate mavericks (Manchin, Sinema) will all squawk to the press about maybe not being on board with their party majority. But, in the end, the GOP mavericks will vote with their party. The Dem ones really won't.

All those people vote with who pays the bills. It's not a party thing.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #3473
Swaggs
Coordinator

Whatever Kirsten Sinema is doing is fascinating to me. I just read that her favorable/unfavorable AMONG DEMOCRATS is 17%/65%. It was 67%/15% on January 1st.

She has voted against raising minimum wage, altering the filibuster, and has generally been a "tough get" for Democrats on the more controversial votes this year and it seems like her base has quickly gotten tired of it.

I'm just wondering what her endgame is. Is she trying to be a maverick like John McCain?Is she really that much of a bipartisan, institutionalist? Is she just completely on-board with and loyal to her special interest groups? Does she already have a job as a lobbyist locked up?

I can't imagine that she thinks she can win re-election with this type of support from the Democrats and it isn't like the Republicans, who are applauding her now, are going to support her in a general election. It really is an unexpected set of stances that she is taking.I know Manchin is behaving similarly, but West Virginia and Arizona are two very different sets of voters. It seems unlikely that she could win a primary if this holds up.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #3474
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 09-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #3475
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Whatever Kirsten Sinema is doing is fascinating to me. I just read that her favorable/unfavorable AMONG DEMOCRATS is 17%/65%. It was 67%/15% on January 1st.

She has voted against raising minimum wage, altering the filibuster, and has generally been a "tough get" for Democrats on the more controversial votes this year and it seems like her base has quickly gotten tired of it.

I'm just wondering what her endgame is. Is she trying to be a maverick like John McCain?Is she really that much of a bipartisan, institutionalist? Is she just completely on-board with and loyal to her special interest groups? Does she already have a job as a lobbyist locked up?

I can't imagine that she thinks she can win re-election with this type of support from the Democrats and it isn't like the Republicans, who are applauding her now, are going to support her in a general election. It really is an unexpected set of stances that she is taking.I know Manchin is behaving similarly, but West Virginia and Arizona are two very different sets of voters. It seems unlikely that she could win a primary if this holds up.

People try to make her out to be more complicated than it is. She likes money, got bribes, and has decided that's the best path for her life. Not the first or last politician to go down that path.

She probably won't run in 4 years and will take a high-paying job as a lobbyist in the pharmaceutical industry.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #3476
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That's not really true in all cases, or Obamacare would have been gone long ago.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #3477
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
People try to make her out to be more complicated than it is. She likes money, got bribes, and has decided that's the best path for her life. Not the first or last politician to go down that path.

She probably won't run in 4 years and will take a high-paying job as a lobbyist in the pharmaceutical industry.
Yeah, I really don't think it is more complicated than that. She has no intention of keeping this job. She going to cash out.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #3478
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps, but what short term thinking. You can cash out higher as a long term Senator.

Though when she was in the House she was a very conservative Democrat. She has voted with business a lot. I think what has happened is that Arizona went blue a lot quicker than expected. So she was seen as a conservative Dem who could actually win the Senate seat to, actually you don't need to be that far right to win in AZ.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #3479
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Perhaps, but what short term thinking. You can cash out higher as a long term Senator.

Though when she was in the House she was a very conservative Democrat. She has voted with business a lot. I think what has happened is that Arizona went blue a lot quicker than expected. So she was seen as a conservative Dem who could actually win the Senate seat to, actually you don't need to be that far right to win in AZ.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sinema was pretty far to the left when she started her career. Was a member of the Green Party and refused to take donations (called them bribes at the time). Now she's actively opposing issues she ran on just a couple of years ago. You don't flip that hard that fast without some kind of incentive.

She grew up incredibly poor. Got her first taste of the good life when she became a Senator and has taken a liking to it. Sure it might be short-sighted, but if you grew up without running water or electricity, having lobbyists throw money at you and your new designer lifestyle can have an impact.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:21 AM   #3480
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Remember the power outages in Texas last winter? The legislature passed a bill requiring power companies to make winterizing upgrades to the power grid so that wouldn't happen again.

But it turns out that someone snuck in a provision where power companies can pay 150 dollars and not be required to do any upgrades.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #3481
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can any other state compete with Texas in the worst state competition?
Old 09-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #3482
RainMaker
General Manager

Florida
Old 09-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #3483
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mrs. A and my son (tracked out) have a D.C. trip planned next week.

Glad to see that the shutdown has (almost certainly) been averted, so they Smithsonians, etc. will be open
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:01 PM   #3484
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Sinema was pretty far to the left when she started her career. Was a member of the Green Party and refused to take donations (called them bribes at the time). Now she's actively opposing issues she ran on just a couple of years ago. You don't flip that hard that fast without some kind of incentive.

She grew up incredibly poor. Got her first taste of the good life when she became a Senator and has taken a liking to it. Sure it might be short-sighted, but if you grew up without running water or electricity, having lobbyists throw money at you and your new designer lifestyle can have an impact.

And I think just the opposite. Independent voters control the national races here (30%+ registered independents) and they went for Trump in 2016, which is the same block that put Biden over in 2020.

Recent history here shows that to win a senate seat you need to be closer to center (not the same at all on the state senate level) and you can look at flake, McCain, Kelly and Sinema as proof of that.

Whatever her financial motivations, I think she is definitely looking long term, knowing that outside of getting primaried, she won't lose to about anyone the current GOP puts up, as long as she continues to court the center, because dems will not flip and most won't stay home because they want to avoid people like Wendy Rogers and Kelly Ward winning a national senate seat.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:27 PM   #3485
RainMaker
General Manager

Kelly supports the bill and won his seat quite comfortably. Not really a good comparison.

One of her issues is with the pharmaceutical negotiating which is supported by 81% of the public and 61% of Republicans. So who exactly are these moderates she is lining herself up with?

The fact she won't say what she wants is a pretty good tell that this isn't about policy differences. She's trying to blow up a bill because she's gotten a truckload of cash from groups.

She is also not winning in 2024 if she blows this deal up. I'd be shocked if she even ran. Way more money in just being a lobbyist for a company that owes you some favors.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:30 PM   #3486
RainMaker
General Manager

Both Machin and Sinema could be swayed with a few well-timed leaks from the DOJ. Machin's daughter is a criminal who should be in jail and Sinema's campaign finances is likely a treasure trove of criminal activity.

Message is simple. You can be a criminal and side with us or you can side with us and not be a criminal. But you can't be a criminal and not side with us.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #3487
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

When worlds collide!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #3488
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's hard not to feel like we're in the middle of collapse when there are so many obvious issues with this country/world that feel like they are at the tipping point: infrastructure, climate change, wage inequality, tax reform, health care, senior care, homelessness, mental health, etc. etc. and we are only willing to get in a massive stalemate battle over whether we should even acknowledge those issues, let alone do anything about them.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #3489
BYU 14
Coordinator

There is definitely no sense of urgency while both sides just try and screw each other
Old 09-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #3490
spleen1015
Coordinator

No way they can help the other side get their agenda through, can't let them win!
Old 09-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #3491
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

When the GOP's platform is basically "dismantle all government that isn't related to defense", I'm not sure how this is a "both sides" or "can't let the other team win" problem

SI

Old 09-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #3492
BYU 14
Coordinator

Does either side really care about anything other than what they want? Seriously, regardless of platform there is next to zero bipartisanship, though a higher percentage of how we got here falls on the GOP for sure.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:00 PM   #3493
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 09-30-2021, 05:59 PM   #3494
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Does either side really care about anything other than what they want? Seriously, regardless of platform there is next to zero bipartisanship, though a higher percentage of how we got here falls on the GOP for sure.

The funny thing is that a lot of the social programs and even the child tax credit helps red states more than blue states. I'm not suggesting that they're doing this because it helps red states, but between the 2 dems are far more likely to pass legislation that helps both sides. Then when the GOP sees that something dems did that's popular with their voters they take credit for it and their voters believe them.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #3495
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
When worlds collide!

The first tweet is ripped from the pages of Duh magazine

Not so sure about the foreign influence BS
Old 10-01-2021, 12:48 AM   #3496
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The funny thing is that a lot of the social programs and even the child tax credit helps red states more than blue states. I'm not suggesting that they're doing this because it helps red states, but between the 2 dems are far more likely to pass legislation that helps both sides. Then when the GOP sees that something dems did that's popular with their voters they take credit for it and their voters believe them.

100% agree with this, GOP plays the game well this way and a lot of people are too naïve to see it
Old 10-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #3497
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Oh yeah. I remember McConnell touting all of the money that was earmarked for fighting opioid abuse in KY in one of the bills that passed earlier this year despite near-unanimous GOP opposition - including him. I would call that shameless, but if the people who vote for you are too stupid to understand shame, maybe it doesn't exist.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #3498
GrantDawg

Same with state block grants. Gives Republican governors money to spend on programs they get credit for without raising state taxes. Yet they will rail over federal spending that includes that money.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #3499
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It'll never happen & I'm not wishing for it or anything, but man Brett Kavanaugh dying of covid and Biden picking his replacement would be some ridiculous irony.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-01-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #3500
Edward64
Head Coach

Good that he checked in. No idea how effective it was but couldn't hurt.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/01/polit...lay/index.html
Quote:
President Joe Biden didn't travel to Capitol Hill on Friday to close the deal, or to rally the troops through a final legislative gantlet.

There was nothing cinematic -- or dramatic -- about the trip down Pennsylvania Avenue for the 36-year Senate veteran, who has more than once informed aides of his unparalleled ability to read, speak to and corral lawmakers.

Instead, in remarks that lasted less than 30 minutes, Biden served a singular purpose: a presidential pressure relief valve.
... end up with nothing ... and a doomed presidency
Quote:
But it did deliver a critical message and a consequential moment, multiple members said: Compromise now -- or end up with nothing.
There's always a game of chicken when dealing with budget.
Quote:
But in the House, moderate and progressive Democrats were engaged in a slow-motion game of chicken over the infrastructure vote, with moderates demanding a vote on the infrastructure bill this week that had been pledged by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi -- and progressives standing firm that they would vote it down without an agreement on the framework for the larger economic package.
Middle ground of $2.5T'ish sounds about right to me. Split the difference
Quote:
Manchin made clear this week that he would not support the $3.5 trillion price tag of the budget bill, and he has proposed a $1.5 trillion package instead. The White House has sought a middle ground, floating a roughly $2 trillion proposal that could range higher depending on how the key planks are structured ahead.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-02-2021 at 07:43 AM.