Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Antmeister
Pro Starter

What will be the future of coaching in FOF?

After playing the game for I while, I realized that each time that I purchase FOF, I have some aspirations of playing a head coach only to go aways from it after 2 to 3 weeks of play. This has left me wondering if it is necessary to have any coaching options in FOF in its current iteration. This includes game planning, substitutions, and depth charts.

Here are the reasons I don't believe it should be in the game in its current state:
  • You can never truly be a head coach in the game. If you do any sort of play calling, you begin to realize that a number of factors are not necessarily predicated on the plays you choose, but the skill set of the coach that you hired. I am not the person motivating the player or giving them a bonus because of offensive or defensive play calling.
  • What would be the point of hiring a head coach if you are doing a number of coaching functions? Since I cannot be named as both GM and coach within the game itself, does it make sense that I should be making a number of coaching decisions. As a GM, shouldn't that be left to the coaching staff. I should only be worried about giving them the players he needs.
  • Since there is presently no 2D interface, it is hard to tell who is truly being dominated, who is failing to blitz the line effectively, how bad someone is getting beat in coverage, whose is not staying in their gaps, etc. On top of that, I can't make any defensive substitutions within any game I choose to coach and must rely on situations I set up pregame.
  • Although I am new to multiplayer, I can see the benefit of having these game planning options to get that little extra advantage to building a dynasty. However, to me, it would be that much more immersive if I believed that my success as a GM is riding on the coach(es) that I hire and the coaching decisions that they make as well as how I am able to accommodate him with the players that he needs.
Now I know people are going to tell me about the magic of game planning. However I like to actually do the actual play calling and all the game planning and situational modifiers don't apply, except on the defensive side of the ball in regards to substitutions.

Overall, I guess what I am saying is that the coaching functions aren't fully fleshed out enough for someone who likes that side of the game. It looks as though Jim is thinking about a 2D simulation in the future and that is most likely why the options are there. However, there is nothing in the framework for one to play as either a coach, GM, or coach/GM. SO I will still be a GM/owner/coach who still has to hire a head coach and still have the ability to be fired.

As a coach, I would be at the mercy of the GM and just hope that he agrees with me on the type of players we need. As a GM, it would be nice to see how some of my decisions after the franchise as I watch who I thought would be a great coach run it into the ground. And as a coach/GM, it would be cool to trying to balance both aspects.

So what is your view on this?

Last edited by Antmeister : 01-02-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

All I'll say is...less coach/more GM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
All I'll say is...less coach/more GM.

Ditto...although I think that Jim wanted to grab the coaching crowd when he added the ability to call the plays in the game (can't remember which version, FOF 2 I think?). I'd rather have additional GM options about coaches and coaching as opposed to additional coaching options. If I remember correctly, calling plays is essentially the same as when it was first introduced...then again, I don't call my own plays.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I'd rather have additional GM options about coaches and coaching as opposed to additional coaching options. If I remember correctly, calling plays is essentially the same as when it was first introduced...then again, I don't call my own plays.

Quoted for truth.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

It would be nice to have exhibtion games so I can practice my play calling without doing a career.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Believe me, if he drops coaching altogether, I wouldn't be complaining about not having 2D graphics. As it stands now, you are still part owner/fulltime GM and partial coach. I would rather have it that you can choose a career, because let's say that they merge TCY and FOF in the future. If that is the case, I would like to see if I can make it from the coaching ranks of college to succeed in the professional leagues as a coach and then possibly switch my career to GM in the future. It opens up all types of possibilities.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am in the same boat as you Antmeister, where every new version of Fof I have the intentions of actually calling out the plays and be even more involved with my teams, but usually give it up even faster than you I think.

The balance I end up with is just usually simming out every game individually and without watching the score, watch it play out (I now do that with solevision which is wonderful). This helps me feel like a GM where I am in my skybox or something watching the game and who I notice having great or not so great performances.

I don't see any reason to remove the coaching feature since I am sure many people do like it, however I don't usually seem to be able to get into it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
Gotee7
n00b

I play FOF strictly as GM and GM only. I only control depth charts in exibition games to get my rookies and borderline players on the field more. I sim game to game and watch playoffs and FO Bowls on Solevision. I would like to see the GM/Coach relationship more fleshed out, but no complaints so far.
Gotee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

Personally I love the way coaching is handled in FBCB. You get to assign yourself ratings on your ability to coach offense and defense, and ability to recruit and scout.

I think something like that would make FOF very immersive.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Since there is presently no 2D interface,

And that begs the question.......Why not? This, to me, would have been the most logical next step in the series. I was very disappointed in the lack of this feature. Coach or GM, either way it would add a whole new look to the game. After all, GM's do watch games from their luxury boxes, right? It would have been the perfect addition. If it can be done in soccer, basketball and baseball text sims, then why not FOF?
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabiak View Post
And that begs the question.......Why not? This, to me, would have been the most logical next step in the series. I was very disappointed in the lack of this feature. Coach or GM, either way it would add a whole new look to the game. After all, GM's do watch games from their luxury boxes, right? It would have been the perfect addition. If it can be done in soccer, basketball and baseball text sims, then why not FOF?

Personally I think he added a TON to this version. I've been here since FOF2 and well, Jim's games have MUCH more to them than some people might think.

At least he's mentioning a possible 2D display, which really gets me excited, but coming from FPS Football, I really haven't missed it in FOF like I thought I would.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
Rizon
Pro Starter

Just don't add a Nick Saban feature or I will never buy the game again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I begin to wonder how many people even use any of the coaching functions. I have never seen any threads on this matter and I am led to believe that the primary coaching function that people use is the depth chart. Am I wrong with this? I wonder what percentage of people strictly play the game as a GM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #14
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

I agree about the speculation regarding the use of the coaching/playcalling feature. At some point, I guess there's a fork in the football sim road where a developer decides whether his/her game will be a coaching type game, or a GM type game. Like your reference to FPS, I cannot think of a adequate football sim since that has incorporated both effectively. And don't get me wrong.....I'm not saying there wasn't a "ton" of work and new features put into this latest installment. Although, at some point soon, I just think the game needs to make a quantum leap, which would include some sort of graphical representation of what exactly is happening on the field, so that we, as players, can make decisions based on that information as well as the rest of the info in the game now. For example......How do I know my 50/52 CB isn't getting beat deep on almost every pass play? Maybe he gets thrown to 3 times in a game, but really, he was beat on 10 plays by the WR he was covering, and the opposing QB never threw his way. Or maybe my RB keeps missing open holes. Or LBs are blitzing, but never getting past the LOS. Even if you are not coaching the games, and just watching them play out (like in Solevision), you can see if your coach is calling good plays and if your players are executing. It would just be a nice feature, really nice.
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

... or that feeling you got in FPS Football when Barry Sanders juked two defenders and then out raced the defense for a game tying TD.

... or that first round DE draft pick sack the QB and knock the ball loose as your DT picks up the loose ball and stampers 67 yards for his first TD of his career.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:21 AM   #16
eiskrap
n00b

While I think most people would agree that 2D is the way to head, its not exactly an easy feature to implement.

Having followed Football Manager and Championship Manager from the early 90's, its important to realise that the transition to 2d did not have its hitches. In the first releases with the 2D representation of the matches, it was more a frustrating feature. Seeing your strikers pass when clean through on goal, and defenders clear in to touch with no pressure on them.

Only with FM2006 have I found the 2d match a big plus (and its still far from perfect now!) and have got back to playing the game as much as I did with CM97/98. While I wouldn't want to go back to text now, there were a few versions of the game where the addition of 2D made me stop playing as much. So while I'd like to see a 2D match in FOF, its going to take time to get it right...

Sometimes its better not seeing what your players are doing!

Last edited by eiskrap : 01-04-2007 at 04:22 AM.
eiskrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #17
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

I use depth chart in SP (basically to make sure that my young players get development time and to ensure players who perform but get poor scouted ratings play). However I think I'd be left feeling pretty exposed in MP play without the option to gameplan.

And I agree with eiskrap about the development of 2d. It will reveal an awful lot about the game engine that might be best left uncovered. Ultimately it would probably lead to a much more accurate game engine but the path there would be very rocky.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #18
Nogram
Mascot

I call every single play on my team (but not preseason).

I would like more coaching options as well.

Nogram
Nogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #19
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
I begin to wonder how many people even use any of the coaching functions. I have never seen any threads on this matter and I am led to believe that the primary coaching function that people use is the depth chart. Am I wrong with this? I wonder what percentage of people strictly play the game as a GM.

In my multiplayer leagues, I use the heck out of the gameplanning features.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #20
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
In my multiplayer leagues, I use the heck out of the gameplanning features.
Agreed - and I would suspect that it is becoming more and more the province of multiplayer GMs.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #21
redfox000
Mascot

I don't use MP leagues, only SP. I like the coaching features, but I mainly play GM. I do like the ability to override the coaching decisions and call my own plays in certain situations, especially in key games.

Last edited by redfox000 : 01-04-2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
redfox000 is offline   Reply With Quote