Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2024, 11:42 PM   #26351
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
The dude from Mad Men being the guy from Chernobyl blew my mind, 3 years after I watched Chernobyl.

Chernobyl is a gold mine for this kind of thing generally.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:49 PM   #26352
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

My step dad retired last year and as a result my mom and him finally got TV installed in December. It's the first time she has had any TV that wasn't just watching DVDs in about 12-15 years. I called her today to see if she wanted the kids for a night anytime and instead of a conversation about the kids she went on a rant about illegal immigration for about 15 minutes before I just had to get off the phone. I hate TV news channels.
dubb93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 03:45 PM   #26353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I hate TV news channels.

I've said for a number of years now that they ought to make TVs that only get Hallmark, TWC, and maybe TMC (does that still exist?), market them to those who deal with older parents/grandparents etc.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:14 PM   #26354
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just saw the original 70's opening to "the Electric Company." It is really hard to believe we grew up with Morgan Freeman and Rita Moreno as stars in a PBS kids show.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:50 PM   #26355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Just saw the original 70's opening to "the Electric Company." It is really hard to believe we grew up with Morgan Freeman and Rita Moreno as stars in a PBS kids show.

And Bill Cosby (for the first two years)

And Irene Cara was the keyboardist for The Short Circus band segments for a couple of years.

Bill Cosby, Rita Moreno and Morgan Freemen in the Electric Company in 1971 - YouTube
Old 02-02-2024, 05:57 PM   #26356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll add one more that I don't believe I ever knew/realized until now

Denise Nickerson was also a child cast member of that Short Circuit group.

She's better known for playing Violet in Willy Wonka.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:09 PM   #26357
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

and don't forget Fritz the Cat!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 03:40 PM   #26358
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just to randomly throw it out. Anyone want to join me in a Quiplash game at 6pm EST?

I'll provide a discord chat for you to join in and you'll also need a phone to enter answers.

Let me know
Old 02-04-2024, 03:48 PM   #26359
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I need to add some FOFC madness to my friends. It's no cost to you.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:31 PM   #26360
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Just to randomly throw it out. Anyone want to join me in a Quiplash game at 6pm EST?

I'll provide a discord chat for you to join in and you'll also need a phone to enter answers.

Let me know

yes
Old 02-04-2024, 04:49 PM   #26361
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I sent an invite to Crimsonfox, anyone else wanna join?
Old 02-06-2024, 12:33 PM   #26362
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In less than a week, I'll be turning 50.

On one hand, I just ran a mile (on a treadmill) in under six minutes (5:51) and last week I did a 500 meter row benchmark test and, based on at least one website, I am rowing at an "elite" level for a 50 year old guy.

On the other hand, I am constantly having to increase the font size on all screens, am definitely starting to lose some of my hearing, and I still have no sense of smell.

It's a mixed bag.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 01:02 PM   #26363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dang, the spambots are in high gear for the past 24 hours here.

WTF? It's like a sudden wave, how the hell did we get popular for 'em again?
Old 02-06-2024, 01:39 PM   #26364
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

NVM.I was talking about email spam that has ramped up as well.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-06-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:52 PM   #26365
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Because of Taylor Swift
Old 02-06-2024, 04:06 PM   #26366
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

At the end of May of 1986, 4 current or former members of Genesis each had solo songs in the US Top 40. Genesis also had a song in the US Top 40. Is there even another group outside the Beatles where you could say that happened over a career, let alone a week? I guess CSNY or Cream, but those feel like cheating.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 04:10 PM   #26367
bhlloy
Coordinator

Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Mike and the Mechanics I am guessing… without googling I couldn’t come up with the fourth, who am I missing?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 04:18 PM   #26368
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Steve Hackett brushed the Top 40 while with GTR.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:53 PM   #26369
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
At the end of May of 1986, 4 current or former members of Genesis each had solo songs in the US Top 40. Genesis also had a song in the US Top 40. Is there even another group outside the Beatles where you could say that happened over a career, let alone a week? I guess CSNY or Cream, but those feel like cheating.

Looked up New Edition and they fit the bill. New Edition itself, Bobby Brown, Ralph Tresvant, Johnny Gill, and BBD all charted US Top 40 singles. In the same week, though? Nope. That's impressive.

If you like their music, New Edition is still great in concert. My wife and I saw them last year and it was excellent. They intermixed songs from each act throughout the show to give the others a break instead of having each act perform a 15-20 minute set. They aren't as young, or all in shape, like they used to be.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:16 PM   #26370
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If, a couple minutes ago, you heard a sound on the wind you couldn't quite identify I might be able to help.

It was probably me screaming.

Yes, I've actually seen enough mind boggling stupidity in the past hour or so that I literally screamed, as a full blown rant about the topic(s) was insufficient to relieve my frustration.

Not really sure the scream helped to be honest, but I don't think it did any real damage either.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:51 AM   #26371
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yesterday when I was with my 4-and-a-half-year-old daughter, she asked me for a second cup of juice. When I refused to give it to her and, instead, offered her a cup of water she said she would "break my head in half" if I didn't get her juice.

A measured reaction.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-08-2024, 12:00 PM   #26372
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Did you get her juice?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:31 PM   #26373
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I've found Watch Alongs as the best way to rewatch things. Takes bout half the time, hits all the key spots and adds a new layer with the reactions. Did this with The Wire, Lost & Sopranos via You, Me & The Movies on Youtube.

Where do you find these watch alongs? And you shortcutted your way through Lost? You sonuvabitch.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:48 PM   #26374
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Did you get her juice?

No. She had enough juice and treats for the day. She was forced to stick with water. So far, my head remains in one piece. It could have been a bluff or she could just be biding her time. Hard to say.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:32 PM   #26375
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Someone dropped a whole ass construction dumpster in the middle of my street and it's just been there all day. It's bad enough that people randomly stop and park in front of my house... now there's just a dumpster for no reason?
Old 02-08-2024, 02:28 PM   #26376
bob
College Starter

Sounds like it is time to clean out the garage really quickly.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:53 PM   #26377
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yesterday when I was with my 4-and-a-half-year-old daughter, she asked me for a second cup of juice. When I refused to give it to her and, instead, offered her a cup of water she said she would "break my head in half" if I didn't get her juice.

A measured reaction.

Who got blamed for teaching her that?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:32 PM   #26378
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No. She had enough juice and treats for the day. She was forced to stick with water. So far, my head remains in one piece. It could have been a bluff or she could just be biding her time. Hard to say.

If she's willing to crack your head open over some juice, what are the threats going to escalate to when she's older and wants a car!?
Old 02-08-2024, 04:57 PM   #26379
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

This is why I don't think kids should watch The Sopranos or the Wire until they're 5.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:09 PM   #26380
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Speaking as someone who spent time on the phone today with a lawyer and his parents to work out their next step into assisted living, I would say that revenge can very much be a long game.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:05 AM   #26381
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I have no idea! It's kind of on band for her. She's super sweet and loving, but her reactions to things are very, very melodramatic.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:06 AM   #26382
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
If she's willing to crack your head open over some juice, what are the threats going to escalate to when she's older and wants a car!?

Tracking!
Old 02-09-2024, 07:50 AM   #26383
miami_fan
Coordinator

It’s National Pizza Day 2024!

What is your favorite pizza order?
What is your favorite pizza spot?
What is your favorite frozen pizza brand?

Finally, I know all chain pizza restaurants suck, but they are still in business so people are eating what they selling. So, what chain pizza brand sucks the least?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:19 AM   #26384
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
So, what chain pizza brand sucks the least?

Been a fan of Marco's Pizza lately
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:04 AM   #26385
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I live on the Jersey Shore so there are probably 10 pizza places within 3 miles that are better than just about anywhere in the country.

IMO the best is Federicis in Freehold. Been around 100 years. Portnoy loved it

Old 02-09-2024, 11:07 AM   #26386
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- chain pizza is kind of all the same. If we do chain it's usually pizza hut because of the breadsticks. Little Caesers use to be a guilty pleasure but I had it recently and it was actually really gross. We did Marcos a lot in Ohio and it was pretty solid.

There is a small chain in Seattle that was really good, Pagliachi. a
Old 02-09-2024, 11:43 AM   #26387
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

In terms of just the pizza by chain it goes:
Marcos

Domino's
Pizza Hut
Papa Johns

Little Caesars

Last time i got sooooo sick. We also have Jets, Wedgies and Hungry Howie's, but not sure if those are just regional and only then I'd only recommend the Jets deep dish.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:03 PM   #26388
cuervo72
Head Coach

I swear I used to think that about LC's but rather like it now. Not their basic cheese pizza, which I always thought was dry and rather cardboard-like, but any of their special crusts (stuffed, pretzel), their thin crusts, or even their deep dish pepperoni bread (really just a pan pizza w/o sauce) are plenty fine by me.

(Or at least, they were -- went to the doc this week and got a big wakeup call on my weight, so pizza is going to have to be a not-as-often thing very soon.)
Old 02-09-2024, 12:10 PM   #26389
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
I live on the Jersey Shore so there are probably 10 pizza places within 3 miles that are better than just about anywhere in the country.

IMO the best is Federicis in Freehold. Been around 100 years. Portnoy loved it

My wife and I feel South Jersey is a quality pizza desert. We have simply accepted we aren't getting good NJ/NY pizza unless we are at exit 90+ off the GSP. Best pizza place I ever found was a little place along the Belmar boardwalk but sadly they closed.

Last edited by Ironhead : 02-09-2024 at 12:22 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:30 PM   #26390
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Which place. I live in wall right next to Belmar. I highly recommend making a trip to Federicis in freehold. It’s cash only. If you come up to Belmar Pete and eldas is good and the Sicilian pie at squan tavern is excellent
Old 02-09-2024, 12:33 PM   #26391
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Which place. I live in wall right next to Belmar. I highly recommend making a trip to Federicis in freehold. It’s cash only. If you come up to Belmar Pete and eldas is good and the Sicilian pie at squan tavern is excellent

The place in Belmar was Casa Vittoria, not far from the bridge over into Avon. I will have to look out for Federici's. Only been to Pete & Elda's once back when I used to work in Neptune, but the thin crust wasn't really my bag.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:39 PM   #26392
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
The place in Belmar was Casa Vittoria, not far from the bridge over into Avon. I will have to look out for Federici's. Only been to Pete & Elda's once back when I used to work in Neptune, but the thin crust wasn't really my bag.

Federicis is thin but a lot different than Pete and Elda’s. I know the spot you’re talking about. It’s something g different now. Of you like thing crust definitely try squan tavern in manasquan.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:40 PM   #26393
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hate when places like bakeries and pizza joints that have glass display cases for their goods keep some on the top right at the level of people’s mouths and noses.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:43 PM   #26394
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm shocked to see the positive remarks about Marcos. Must be a location thing, cause that's among the very bottom tier here (and the one other place i've encountered it). It's a full notch below even something like getting takeout from CiCis buffet, with cardboard crust and toppings that are either shriveled or burned.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:55 PM   #26395
Edward64
Head Coach

Does Marcos do pineapples?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 04:14 PM   #26396
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Does Marcos do pineapples?

My local one does.

I know my parents likes Marcos because they are the only local chain that offers anchovies.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:19 PM   #26397
GrantDawg

It must be a Georgia thing, Jon. My Marcos is horrible as well.
My favorite pizza right now is Mello Mushroom. About the only large chains we do are Jonny's Pizza and the occasional Puzza Hit. There is something about a Pizza Hut pan that I crave every once in a while.

Old 02-09-2024, 04:38 PM   #26398
Edward64
Head Coach

On Mellow Mushroom
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:57 PM   #26399
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

That must be a Georgia thing, because every Mellow Mushroom I've gone to has been garbage.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:59 PM   #26400
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
That must be a Georgia thing, because every Mellow Mushroom I've gone to has been garbage.

I know when I lived in Alabama it was highly regarded by my friends. I was turned off by it because I don't like mushrooms. I know they probably have pies without mushrooms but the name is still a turn-off.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-09-2024 at 06:00 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote