Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2024, 08:18 AM   #26301
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Speaking of Waffle House (which I did in another thread), I learned two interesting facts I never knew about Waffle House yesterday. The name came from the fact that waffles were the highest profit-margin item on the menu, and they thought that the name would encourage people to order them more often. Also, they once licensed a chicken sandwich from another small restaurant that became so popular that it overshadow the other menu items. So when they cancelled the deal, Truett Cathy decided he would create his own restaurant chain and Chick-fil-a was born.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:24 AM   #26302
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting factoids.

Thanks Paul Harvey!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:33 AM   #26303
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Interesting factoids.

Thanks Paul Harvey!
And now you know.....THE REST of the story.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:36 AM   #26304
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Speaking of Waffle House (which I did in another thread), I learned two interesting facts I never knew about Waffle House yesterday. The name came from the fact that waffles were the highest profit-margin item on the menu, and they thought that the name would encourage people to order them more often. Also, they once licensed a chicken sandwich from another small restaurant that became so popular that it overshadow the other menu items. So when they cancelled the deal, Truett Cathy decided he would create his own restaurant chain and Chick-fil-a was born.

Did you listen to TC After Dark podcast?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:41 AM   #26305
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
No, haven't heard of it but I might check it out.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:57 AM   #26306
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
No, haven't heard of it but I might check it out.

recently had a whole episode on wafflehouse
Old 01-17-2024, 08:58 AM   #26307
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

TC After Dark
Old 01-17-2024, 09:40 AM   #26308
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

podcasters here are more CT than TC

#IYKYK
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:50 AM   #26309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

"Hello Americans. Stand by ... for newwwwws"
Old 01-17-2024, 09:51 AM   #26310
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And why do I have a sudden urge to buy a Bose WaveRadio?
Old 01-17-2024, 10:26 AM   #26311
tarcone
Coordinator

So my exes step sister is contacting me out of the blue. Messaged me on FB telling me she is in the middle of a divorce and her guy has her trapped and she needs a miracle.

WTF?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:26 AM   #26312
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
So my exes step sister is contacting me out of the blue. Messaged me on FB telling me she is in the middle of a divorce and her guy has her trapped and she needs a miracle.

WTF?

Are you known for that type of....contract work?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:10 PM   #26313
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Are you known for that type of....contract work?

He has a very particular set of skills.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:50 AM   #26314
Edward64
Head Coach

re: Waffle House

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/waf...ervations-2024
Quote:
The Waffle House is opening up its Valentine’s Day reservations for those who want to "smother" and "cover" their loved ones in some hash brown love.

Select Waffle House restaurants across 21 states will be offering a romantic night out for two.

Nearly 200 locations of the Georgia-based restaurant chain will be dimming the lights, putting out nice white tablecloths, and welcoming couples for a special dinner service.

Unfortunately, the 2 closest to me are not taking reservations

Valentine's Day Locations - Waffle House
Old 01-19-2024, 06:48 AM   #26315
bob
College Starter

It angers me greatly that there is no repercussions for companies that get hacked and leak your data. Yes, I know consumers could decide to stop using those companies, but in this latest case I didn't even pick this company - my loan was sold to them, and within 2 months my data was out there.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:52 AM   #26316
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
It angers me greatly that there is no repercussions for companies that get hacked and leak your data. Yes, I know consumers could decide to stop using those companies, but in this latest case I didn't even pick this company - my loan was sold to them, and within 2 months my data was out there.
And I can't believe some of the things you spend your money on, Bob. Do you really need three magic kits?
Old 01-19-2024, 07:49 AM   #26317
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

GOOOOoooood daaaAAAAY?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:41 AM   #26318
Atocep
Coordinator

PSA: if you have a double turn lane and you are in the inside lane, you do not have the right to drift into the outside lane while making your turn.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:55 PM   #26319
Edward64
Head Coach

Got a letter from Delta Dental that someone may have accessed our records. Said reach out to setup credit monitoring.

This is like the 3rd or 4th time over the past 10 years or so something like this has happened.

Honestly, don't see why I should reach out to setup the credit monitoring. Delta Dental should frakking do it automatically and inform me it's been done.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:54 PM   #26320
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
PSA: if you have a double turn lane and you are in the inside lane, you do not have the right to drift into the outside lane while making your turn.

The general public cannot handle a double-turn lane. It really is disappointing
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:16 PM   #26321
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So my glass fireplace door just exploded into a million pieces all over my den. Glad the dog wasn't in his bed in front of it.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:23 PM   #26322
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yikes! I saw a post on Reddit yesterday about someone's shower door exploding in the middle of the night.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-21-2024 at 06:23 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:22 PM   #26323
GrantDawg

We are getting up there age-wise, and one of those things that happens as we get older is we stop being as regular as we need. I wholeheartedly recommend Metamucil Chocolate Crackers for anybody having that problem. They are useful, and to me pretty tasty. Much better than drinking that liquid mix. They remind me of the chocolate outer cookies of Oreos.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2024, 08:34 PM   #26324
Edward64
Head Coach

Hah, being on a diet does weird things to your digestive system also. I am eating a lot of lettuce (really, a ton) and surprisingly, it doesn't do much.

Metamucil Orange powder mix really did not do much for me either. I found my happy place with Colace and 100 calorie popcorn bags.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:37 PM   #26325
molson
General Manager

Is anyone else unreasonably amused when you discover that an actor was in something else you watched, and you made the connection only after watching both things?

My girlfriend just wants me to shut the fuck about it when I do. But it brings me a simple joy.

Last edited by molson : 01-23-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:39 PM   #26326
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Is anyone else unreasonably amused when you discover that an actor was in something else you watched, and you made the connection only after watching both things?

My girlfriend just wants me to shut the fuck about it when I do. But it brings me a simple joy.

I annoy the hell out of my wife when I make those connections. She also hates that if I recognize someone from something else but can't place it I absolutely have to imdb it immediately to figure it out.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:41 PM   #26327
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
She also hates that if I recognize someone from something else but can't place it I absolutely have to imdb it immediately to figure it out.

I do the thing where I say, "I'm going to try use my brain and figure this out", and then give up in 30 seconds and check imdb.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:43 PM   #26328
molson
General Manager

My favorite example of this of all time is not knowing Joe Pantoliano as an actor, until I finally grasped - just by connecting the voices one day in my head, that he was one of the Fratelli brothers in the Goonies and Ralph Cifaretto on the Sopranos, 2 things I've watched many many times each.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:35 PM   #26329
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I try to watch new stuff but I’m just doing another sopranos rewatch
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 07:03 AM   #26330
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I'm not saying supervisors at work are pointless, but mine is really stretching it. I literally try to avoid asking questions at all costs because a 1 minute conversation turns into 20 minutes where they ramble and contradict themselves the entire time. And 95% of the time they run it up to the 1 person at the company above them.

I was advised on a matter yesterday to send a confirmation email confirming the confirmation email that I sent 2 weeks ago in response to the vendor's confirming that confirmation email.

A different client asked if we could send some info again because they didn't see it in the file materials we previously sent. It was in there, but they probably couldn't pick it out of the 2000 pages we previously sent. The supervisors suggestion was to just send it all again when I could easily just send the 10 pages they're specifically look for.

I don't want the job because I don't want to manage people, but there are ways to do it so that you're actually useful.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 07:48 AM   #26331
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Did you submit you TPS reports?
Old 01-25-2024, 08:39 AM   #26332
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I tend to do that with video games. I try to play new stuff but I end up starting a run on some Dragon Quest game.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:46 AM   #26333
tarcone
Coordinator

Every day goes by and I see the craziness that is my ex. Wow. The lack of self awareness is amazing. She divorced me, then lost her relationship with our oldest daughter by having a literal intervention, but with no professionals or knowing anythin about those things.. That turned into a shitshow and my daughter no longer talks or has anything to do with her. My youner daughter is moving to Wichita and has stated he is cutting out her side of the family and Im sure limited contact with her mom.
I was on the phone with the ex and she takes no responsibility for anything. She is going to therapy but all she has gotten out of it is she is an enabler and she needs to set boundaries. HAHAHAHA
Yesterday really opened my eyes.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:49 AM   #26334
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

"Amateur Intervention" sounds like a really good trash tv show.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:14 AM   #26335
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nothing illustrates how humanity has lost all respect for those around them like the service waiting area at the car dealer.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:31 AM   #26336
GrantDawg

In Madison, Georgia not too far off the interstate there is a general store/restaurant named Farmview Market. Part of the restaurant is a "meat and three " section. I'm eating lunch there right now, and I am having the best collard greens I have ever had.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2024, 02:10 PM   #26337
Atocep
Coordinator

You've never seen a workplace freak the fuck out until you're less than a week away from a Joint Commission inspection.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:14 PM   #26338
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So in maybe an example of the dumbest system ever our town has an annual father/daughter dance. It sell out almost instantly but I have always been able to get in.

For whatever reason you have to register the kid and parent separately, basically clicking two different boxes. My daughter I was able to get a ticket but I had to waitlist myself.

so stupid.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:54 PM   #26339
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

They found a blob on the bottom of the pacific that looks vaguely planeshaped. They think it COULD be amelia Eirhardt's plane.

That was so worth spending 11 million dollars on. I could have used some of that.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:02 PM   #26340
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know. I feel I should have learned about the German American Bund before watching this documentary. Wonder whatever happened with these Americans.

Watch Nazi Town, USA | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

We really are just repeating history.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 06:19 PM   #26341
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't know. I feel I should have learned about the German American Bund before watching this documentary. Wonder whatever happened with these Americans.

I would argue that this is less about repeating history and more that this is what America has always been. You can go back to slavery, secession, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, the resurgence of the KKK following The Birth of a Nation, and Nazi sympathizers - the roots of white supremacy have always been firmly implanted. Two steps forward have to be gained by scratching and clawing for improvements followed by trying to regain lost ground when the 1 step back inevitably occurs.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM   #26342
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I would argue that this is less about repeating history and more that this is what America has always been. You can go back to slavery, secession, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, the resurgence of the KKK following The Birth of a Nation, and Nazi sympathizers - the roots of white supremacy have always been firmly implanted. Two steps forward have to be gained by scratching and clawing for improvements followed by trying to regain lost ground when the 1 step back inevitably occurs.

Agreed but, literally these words were spoken by a politician... back in the 30's.

Quote:
I am very glad to be able to express my friendly feelings towards the American nation. My fellow citizens who are working to make America great

The politician was Benito Mussolini.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 08:58 PM   #26343
HerRealName
College Prospect

Trump just stole the slogan from Reagan
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:23 PM   #26344
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

A Nazi rally filled Madison Square Garden in 1939.

A Night at The Garden - Field of Vision - YouTube

I met a 95-year old guy at the optometrist a while ago - he started starting about being a boy when the war broke out, and Hitler. I tried to ask him if he knew anything about Hitler and Germany before the war started. He couldn't quite remember. The pre-war perception of Hitler is hard to get a handle on - was he universally hated in the U.S., or was he more of a polarizing figure like Trump who half the people hated and half the people worshiped, was he considered dangerous? If you worked at a Manhattan office in 1939, what would normal people there say about the Nazi rally down the street? That's the kind of thing that can get lost to history.

There's a book out there about tourism in Nazi Germany in the brief period that was a thing. That's not a compelling historical topic in itself, but I think it would help give a sense to that kind of thing. If you were an American spending a summer holiday in Nazi Germany before the war, which many Americans did, what was that like and what was the reaction of people back in the States who heard about those trips. All the rhetoric was there. There were not hiding their ambitions. But, the trains ran on time and the food was good.

Last edited by molson : 01-31-2024 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:34 AM   #26345
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They better bring back ecto cooler for this new Ghostbusters movie.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:29 AM   #26346
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
They better bring back ecto cooler for this new Ghostbusters movie.

Is that a mcdonald's sauce?
Old 02-01-2024, 12:00 PM   #26347
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Is that a mcdonald's sauce?

You uncultured heathen.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:18 PM   #26348
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

First 4 sports channels on my hotel TV in Auckland are rugby, women's netball, cricket and women's bocce ball (l think). I am no longer in the US. We do have ESPN and ESPN2 as well though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:53 PM   #26349
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

The dude from Mad Men being the guy from Chernobyl blew my mind, 3 years after I watched Chernobyl.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:59 PM   #26350
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

I've found Watch Alongs as the best way to rewatch things. Takes bout half the time, hits all the key spots and adds a new layer with the reactions. Did this with The Wire, Lost & Sopranos via You, Me & The Movies on Youtube.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote