Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2023, 07:09 PM   #24251
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just ran headlong into a serious complication of the young 'un being gone:
It's a lot harder to trigger minimum order food delivery coupons ordering for one person than for two.

If you know me, you KNOW I'm gonna get creative when we're talking about 40% off.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:10 PM   #24252
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Fuck Verizon. I hope their business goes KAAPOOT.

I want anyone involved in this commercial to die.

What was the directing guidance to the guy - I want you to pretend like you are Rob Schneider during his worst Einstein accent/impersonation?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:09 PM   #24253
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just ran headlong into a serious complication of the young 'un being gone:
It's a lot harder to trigger minimum order food delivery coupons ordering for one person than for two.

If you know me, you KNOW I'm gonna get creative when we're talking about 40% off.

LOL I have done it multiple times. So, if I order 2 orders of fries, I get the delivery fee taken off AND a discount? Guess I'm getting extra fries....
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:13 AM   #24254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
LOL I have done it multiple times. So, if I order 2 orders of fries, I get the delivery fee taken off AND a discount? Guess I'm getting extra fries....

The tricky part was coming up with different entrees so I didn't feel like I was eating the same thing over & over for days.

The trigger for the coupon was $25 or more.

Calzone was almost $13, mozz sticks added $8 but that mean another entree cause I really didn't need another appetizer ... from a place where I never get anything but the calzone. So later I'll find out how their version of a chef salad is.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:17 AM   #24255
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I want anyone involved in this commercial to die.

What was the directing guidance to the guy - I want you to pretend like you are Rob Schneider during his worst Einstein accent/impersonation?

Isn't that Paul Giamatti?
Old 01-17-2023, 07:38 AM   #24256
cuervo72
Head Coach

Pretty sure it is, though I've made a Malcolm Gladwell joke regarding that one.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:55 AM   #24257
Ksyrup

I have no idea who that is. I just know I hate stupid shit that gets repeated over and over.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-17-2023, 08:14 AM   #24258
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have no idea who that is. I just know I hate stupid shit that gets repeated over and over.

Somewhat famous actor... Sideways, John Adams on HBO, Billions. But you may recognize more for his last name. His dad banned Pete Rose from baseball!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:40 AM   #24259
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Somewhat famous actor... Sideways, John Adams on HBO, Billions. But you may recognize more for his last name. His dad banned Pete Rose from baseball!

and his most iconic role as Santa in Fred Clause.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:50 AM   #24260
cuervo72
Head Coach

He's the guy they turned blue in Big Fat Liar.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:21 AM   #24261
bob
College Starter

Putting aside unethical behavior or being way overworked, what's a reasonable timeline for saying while this company may be great, this job isn't for me?

Trying to advise a buddy who's looking to leave his company after 6 months. That seems quick to me, but maybe I have some old fashioned thoughts on this. Thoughts?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:25 AM   #24262
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

6 months is fine. You put it respectfully - this isn't working out, this just isn't the right job for me. Any halfway decent manager can respect that. It happens.

Hell, who knows, you put it that way, they might even try and transfer 'em to another role if they're interested.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:33 AM   #24263
Ksyrup

I recognized the last name and immediately thought of the former commissioner, but otherwise I don't recognize him. Looking at his IMDB page, I suppose I saw him as Kissing Man in Singles, as a bellman in My Best Friend's Wedding, and as a control room director in Truman Show, though those are obviously bit parts. That's about all on his page I would have seen.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-17-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:34 AM   #24264
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

I knew of both of those individuals for decades before I figured out they were father/son. That was weird.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:41 AM   #24265
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I knew of both of those individuals for decades before I figured out they were father/son. That was weird.

I was today old when I learned this
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:21 PM   #24266
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Putting aside unethical behavior or being way overworked, what's a reasonable timeline for saying while this company may be great, this job isn't for me?

One week.

Or, more reasonably, once you're sure the job is not for you.

There's no point in prolonging the agony, and as a hiring manager I'd want to know sooner rather than later. If it's early enough, some other candidates who may have been good might still be available, which makes it easier to bring in a replacement.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:32 AM   #24267
Ksyrup

We hired a guy who was great from our old company to do a slightly different but related job for us. He was there 2 weeks, got Covid, and never returned. At first we thought it had something to do with Covid since he came into the office and we sent him home (something about not wanting to take off so soon after starting a job, but come on, you've got Covid!). But no, he decided to get out of this industry completely and do something else. Totally upstanding guy, hard worker, really knowledgeable. It was weird.

I guess he was getting burned out at the old place and figured a change of scenery would work, but pulled the plug after about 2 weeks when it didn't light a fire.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:28 AM   #24268
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We hired a technician in 2019 that lasted half a day. He came in, met everyone, went to our production area to get a brief overview. He went to lunch, found he got another job offer, and never came back.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #24269
whomario
Pro Starter

Just wanted to share perhaps the most condescending piece of writing you are going to read all year, even if you regularls read, say, the WSJ opinion pieces.

Truly a masterpiece of it's Genre.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:04 PM   #24270
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Just wanted to share perhaps the most condescending piece of writing you are going to read all year,

It's also one of the more succinctly accurate summaries of reality I've read in quite a while.

We need a few million more people like the author (if the piece is even real that is)
Old 01-18-2023, 06:56 PM   #24271
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
We hired a technician in 2019 that lasted half a day. He came in, met everyone, went to our production area to get a brief overview. He went to lunch, found he got another job offer, and never came back.

This happened a lot during the first dot-com boom, especially 1999/2000. To the point that one of our network guys left for lunch, got a call to pick up his sick kid from school, did that, and by the time he got around to calling someone to let us know (pretty late in the day) we already assumed he had left for another job and let HR know so they could start the termination process.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:06 PM   #24272
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
I watch a lot of GMFB on NFL network. Its on 5 days a week for b2b 3 hour increments. Not glued to the set or anything but its generally on even for the background. (FWIW I work at home or nights)

Jaime E is fine but a downgrade from previous host Kay Adams.

Jason McC is also fine, but also a downgrade from Nate Burleson.

Pillsbury Peter Schrager is purely take him or leave him. Hes harmless.

However, IF they lose Kyle Brandt to another mediocre downgrade then IM OUT.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:48 AM   #24273
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Trying to advise a buddy who's looking to leave his company after 6 months. That seems quick to me, but maybe I have some old fashioned thoughts on this. Thoughts?

Six months is perfectly fine. Employees have a lot shorter shelf-life with an employer than it used to be. Realistically, two years is the average right now in a lot of industries and positions and for some, it's even less.

Just to look at one industry where the paradigm shift has completely changed that I'm intimately familiar with: Education. It used to be if you only lasted one year in a teaching position, that was a giant red flag and you probably weren't getting hired again ever.

I'm headed to my third teaching position in three years, and I'm A) beating out considerable competition every time, and B. Often have two schools competing for me when I make my decision

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:59 AM   #24274
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Just wanted to share perhaps the most condescending piece of writing you are going to read all year, even if you regularls read, say, the WSJ opinion pieces.

Truly a masterpiece of it's Genre.

The people that hired him did not have any responsibility despite the chance they took to hire him as opposed to someone else? I mean they could have hired someone unless he was the only one that applied or the only one qualified. The people who actually took the time out of their busy day to give him advice when he sought it had no responsibility? Because many people in those positions and I presume he is part of this group, are quick to let you know that they don't have to give you any advice. The people who told him what he needed to do to be prepared for a new role have no responsibility? No spouse or family member took on extra responsibility or sacrificed something so he could excel?

I mean congrats on the success but part of that crankiness might come from not being able to share said success with people who helped you along the way.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:25 AM   #24275
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The people that hired him did not have any responsibility despite the chance they took to hire him as opposed to someone else? I mean they could have hired someone unless he was the only one that applied or the only one qualified. The people who actually took the time out of their busy day to give him advice when he sought it had no responsibility? Because many people in those positions and I presume he is part of this group, are quick to let you know that they don't have to give you any advice. The people who told him what he needed to do to be prepared for a new role have no responsibility? No spouse or family member took on extra responsibility or sacrificed something so he could excel?

I mean congrats on the success but part of that crankiness might come from not being able to share said success with people who helped you along the way.

Truly a fuck you I got mine piece if I ever saw it.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #24276
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Truly a fuck you I got mine piece if I ever saw it.

More like a "fuck you, get busy and get yours instead of expecting it to be handed to you as an entitlement" piece.

And of all the industries, he's in one of the most undeservedly whiniest, so the badly needed truth of the piece goes at least double if not triple afaic.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:05 PM   #24277
tarcone
Coordinator

An epiphany? A revelation? I follow this dude on Tiktok that sims careers of NBA players in different eras. Fantastic. Today as I was watching one, I realized I have been simming a full 8 team season of 8 team league in Statis Pro Baseball since I was 12. Then I thought, shit, my life has been one of extremes on the bad side. And I realized, I am at game 156 of this baseball season. Im 55 in my 56th year. Im retiring AND getting divorced.

THe time is now. Im moving this weekend in to my sweet bachelor pad and the next weekend, Im firing it up and finishing it and then I can restart my life. This is my butterfly moment.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:11 PM   #24278
tarcone
Coordinator

P.S. I pulled the pistol out. But put it away. Is it better to be a piece of shit alcoholic that can contribute to society and be happy or a sober mentally exhausted giving up on life man that cries at a drop of a hat?

My dilemma. I was going to off myself and wanted to be drunk. As alcohol is the one thing that has caused all my problems, I thought I would take it along for the ride. And did the alcohol step up. It talked me down off the edge and got me 6 free chicken mcnuggets.

I guess Id rather be numb.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:14 PM   #24279
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
P.S. I pulled the pistol out. But put it away. Is it better to be a piece of shit alcoholic that can contribute to society and be happy or a sober mentally exhausted giving up on life man that cries at a drop of a hat?

My dilemma. I was going to off myself and wanted to be drunk. As alcohol is the one thing that has caused all my problems, I thought I would take it along for the ride. And did the alcohol step up. It talked me down off the edge and got me 6 free chicken mcnuggets.

I guess Id rather be numb.

You ok bud?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 01-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #24280
tarcone
Coordinator

Not even close

Old 01-19-2023, 04:26 PM   #24281
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not even close

Listen, if you are having a crisis right now, I don't know you but I wish you well...

You can dial 988 or 1-800-273-TALK

I think you may want someone to reach out to...
Old 01-19-2023, 04:29 PM   #24282
tarcone
Coordinator

yeah, saw those numbers earlier. Im hanging on. I just need to accept the adaptation.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:32 PM   #24283
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
yeah, saw those numbers earlier. Im hanging on. I just need to accept the adaptation.

Heard, but if you had your pistol out, I think it's time to make a call.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:33 PM   #24284
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Tarc, you got anything going on tomorrow? Come up to Wentzville. Grab some lunch, let's talk.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:35 PM   #24285
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

My feelings of abandonment has taught me to take care of my issues myself. I rely on my decisions no matter how bad they are. And most are bad,. So this is a challenge and the 1st time Ive reached out to a community that I feel like cares a bit for me.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:36 PM   #24286
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:

And, I think Qwik is right here, fwiw.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:37 PM   #24287
tarcone
Coordinator

And as a kicker my latest blacked out attack on my soon to be ex has driven my 2 daughters away. That relationship is broken,

WHAT THE FUCK?

Old 01-19-2023, 04:40 PM   #24288
tarcone
Coordinator

When does the Matrix fix me?

Old 01-19-2023, 04:40 PM   #24289
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
My feelings of abandonment has taught me to take care of my issues myself. I rely on my decisions no matter how bad they are. And most are bad,. So this is a challenge and the 1st time Ive reached out to a community that I feel like cares a bit for me.

I can respect that, but this isn't a game man. This is your life and in the moment you are probably being overwhelmed with emotions, memories and everything. If you had a plan to commit suicide then and you are now still "challenging yourself", that means you are still thinking about it...make the call.

Talk to a person about what you are going through right now, there is nothing wrong with talking to someone, it's not weakness...you reached out to this board, and believe I'm not a qualified person, I'm a nobody, but I've seen pictures you posted of your daughter...don't make any decisions or challenge yourself, just call someone to talk.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:42 PM   #24290
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
And as a kicker my latest blacked out attack on my soon to be ex has driven my 2 daughters away. That relationship is broken,

WHAT THE FUCK?

Being alive gives you the opportunity to make amends...the first step is talking to someone who can guide you through these emotions right now.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:51 PM   #24291
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Is there anyone that can check on Tarcone?
Old 01-19-2023, 04:55 PM   #24292
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It's been 10 years since I last saw him...I don't have his number any longer.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:57 PM   #24293
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I might have it. Checking.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:59 PM   #24294
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I sent a message to the number I had for him.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:01 PM   #24295
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Tarcone, I can't imagine what you are going through...please get some support.

Can you please let us know?
Old 01-19-2023, 05:01 PM   #24296
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I got him.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:05 PM   #24297
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I got him.

Thank you. Let me know if you need support. I'm a stranger but y'know, it shouldn't be on one.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:06 PM   #24298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've been there Tarcone, too fucking many times. Over forty fucking years of it.

Do what you have to do to get to the next minute, hour, day. That's the goal, just keep going.

I may be as cold a prick as this board has, so if I'M asking you to ... and I'd revert to pleading if I thought that'd be more effective ... those mental health pros may not be perfect but they can be a useful tool in survival too. Use the whole toolbox Tarcone, use every resource.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:27 PM   #24299
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I cannot say it any better or any more credibly than Jon.

Mental health is complicated, and it’s a bitch. But there are a lot of resources out there. Please reach out and try and engage them.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:34 PM   #24300
Kodos
Resident Alien

Tarcone, add me to the chorus. If life is getting the better of you right now, seek out help. Nobody should try to get through all of life's difficulties and challenges without leaning on others for help. Reach out to people who can help. We need to keep our IU vs. Iowa rivalry going!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote