Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
ljha1
n00b

Exclamation NZ football

Hi all,
This is my first visit to FOFC. I wanna learn more about football, I watched alot live games here in New Zealand this season, my brother plays for the Waikato Spears and has been selected for NZ (third year). He has won the award for best Defence play for the last two years.

I enjoy his games but thought it would be good to understand what is going on.

ljha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Welcome! Hopefully we will get back to talking more football soon.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

Heya,

I would highly suggest getting the Football for Dummies and the Idiot's Guide to Football if you want to learn more about the sport. Both are really good on the general overview of it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:48 AM   #4
revrew
Team Chaplain

ljha1, Forgive me for being an ignorant American, but I couldn't help wondering if your post indicated football as in goalies and strikers or football as in quarterbacks and defensive ends? If the latter, we'll be glad to help!

Any questions to begin with?
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:11 AM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by revrew
ljha1, Forgive me for being an ignorant American, but I couldn't help wondering if your post indicated football as in goalies and strikers or football as in quarterbacks and defensive ends? If the latter, we'll be glad to help!

Any questions to begin with?

And if the former, the Hattrick forum is over there (points with finger)

FM
Old 05-03-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
SegRat
High School Varsity

I just did a search on google for the Waikato Spears. They play American style football.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:07 AM   #7
Sporkimata
High School JV

Thats cool, I didn't know they did american style football down there. My fiances Dad and step mom live in New Zealand. Ill have to ask if he watches any of that. I know he has to ask me all the time about sports up here...lol
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:19 AM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Welcome aboard LJ.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 06:20 PM   #9
ljha1
n00b

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. This is great, not only am I new to football but this is my first time in a chat site.

Yeah the football I am talkign about is american gridiron. Its not all that popular here yet, and is mainly played by really big Samoan and Islander guys.

The competition my brother plays in only has 8 teams, they play each other twice, so its a pretty short season. The waikato spears have one the competition for the last 5 years.

All the players families go and watch as its a great day out but other than that the sport struggles for support. At teh second game I ever went to I had to be the Downs Marker! Not sure I got it right, but hey - we won!

The NZ team (Kiwi Haka) got to go to Australia last year to play in a competition called Superbowl down under. They played Australian teams and American teams too. I think the American teams by your standard were probably fairly poor but managed to kick everyone else! The boys were very impressed with the cheerleaders that the US teams brought along too!!

My brother played in Amersterdam for a while too - he spent a year there working.

Dont know what was going on, when he got back he was 20kg lighter and got chucked around the park a bit back here.

So, are you lot players? is it a game that is played much by teh average Joe Bloggs in the States or more a spectator sport. Its a pretty brutal sport.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 PM   #10
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ljha1
So, are you lot players? is it a game that is played much by teh average Joe Bloggs in the States or more a spectator sport. Its a pretty brutal sport.

Generally speaking, if adults here in the states play football it's nearly always without pads and usually modified rules, running anywhere from competitive flag football all the way to just sandlot games of two-hand touch. It's too violent a sport to play without wearing pads as an adult. There are a few semi-pro leagues where old High School or college players may still strap on pads and play real football, but it's pretty rare.

As kids, a lot of us I would suspect grew-up playing at least sandlot football, usually two-hand touch but sometimes tackle as well (I have chipped teeth to prove it).
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 06:40 PM   #11
ljha1
n00b

Whats sand lot football? Is touch a verison where you don't tackle. We have an equivalent to that in rugby actually. In rugby people just tend to break there noses a lot. nearly everyone grows up playign rugby in NZ. Even the girls areplaying it now.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #12
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Sandlot is an American expression I guess - it just means an informal setting like a playground, field, abanded lot, etc. It's probably used more in conjunction with baseball.

Two-hand touch football is as you guessed - to "down" somebody you need to touch them with both hands. This is nearly always played with fewer than 11 people per side, and generally speaking there are no offensive linemen aside from a center who snaps the ball. As such, there's usually no running game, and the defense is allowed to rush people only after a certain time limit (3 seconds is common). Everyone but the QB goes out for a pass. Rules on downs and distance vary depending on the length of the field and the availability of recognizable distance markers. Sometimes you just play 2 completions in 4 downs to get a first down, sometimes you just have 4 plays to get to the endzone.

Flag football is a more formalized version of two-hand touch. Players wear belts with two 'flags' attached with velcro. Depending on the number of players per side you generally have 3 offensive linemen, a QB, and 3 skill positions (usually 1 RB and 2 WR). Normal down and distance rules apply (10 yards for a first down, 4 downs) and in organized leagues there's a referee present. Running as well as passing are offensive options, and the defense can rush as many players as they wish after the ball is snapped.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:23 PM   #13
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgfan
Generally speaking, if adults here in the states play football it's nearly always without pads and usually modified rules, running anywhere from competitive flag football all the way to just sandlot games of two-hand touch. It's too violent a sport to play without wearing pads as an adult. There are a few semi-pro leagues where old High School or college players may still strap on pads and play real football, but it's pretty rare.

As kids, a lot of us I would suspect grew-up playing at least sandlot football, usually two-hand touch but sometimes tackle as well (I have chipped teeth to prove it).

Hell with that. I still play full contact tackle football, sans pads. I hurt like hell the next day, but rarely does someone get seriously injured. Without cleats or helmets, it's tough to blow out your knee and you can't lead with your head, reducing "impact" injuries.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:26 PM   #14
ljha1
n00b

So are you saying you play "normal" full tackle football - without the pads?

I suppose that would be a bit like a game of rugby. Is it all the pads and helmets and stuf that cause the damage?

Either way, the sideline suits me fine.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:43 PM   #15
tucker342
Pro Starter

Pads and and helmets have saved so many lives in the NFL. Don't forget, there is a big difference between getting hit by just some guy, than getting hit by an NFL football player...

I love watching Rugby on Fox Sports World
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:41 PM   #16
BishopMVP
Coordinator

There are a lot more spinal and head injuries in football than rugby because of the pads. In rugby you generally aren't going to dive head-first at full speed into someone else's knees because you don't have a helmet on. A lot of players, especially safeties, are very reckless and prone to diving headfirst at opponents even if it is technically illegal.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:22 AM   #17
3ric
College Starter

Someone said it best, American Football is not a contact sport, it's a collision sport.

I played amateur football here in Sweden - full contact, with helmet and pads, for about six years. Our leagues got pretty well organized with four divisional levels nationwide, but as we generated almost no revenue or corporate sponsorships, it all was for the love of the game. Probably similar to the way NZ does it.

By the way, on the topic of football injuries, I had a teammate who got his knee blown out during practice - double ACL tear, dislocation from the knee cap. He was back on the field nine months later. That's pretty special considering he was never paid a nickel to play.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:19 AM   #18
Super Ugly
High School JV

We have a league over here in the UK, but it isn't that big. I don't know how much it costs in the States, but if you want to play kitted over here you're looking at spending about £200, at least. Embarrassingly enough, I fucked my legs up in practice, so my season's well and truly over.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:11 PM   #19
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
Hell with that. I still play full contact tackle football, sans pads. I hurt like hell the next day, but rarely does someone get seriously injured. Without cleats or helmets, it's tough to blow out your knee and you can't lead with your head, reducing "impact" injuries.

You're a braver man than I. I've seen too many cases of bones being broken in flag football to even consider full contact tackle football without pads. Probably because I'm built like a CB and there are a lot of aggro LB types just itching to knock me to kingdom come...
Old 05-05-2003, 01:20 PM   #20
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Playing tackle makes it too unfair in my group. A couple of us used to play in HS (and 1 guy in D3 college) and are just too big for the rest of us. Touch/flag gives all of us little guys a chance to make plays.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:21 PM   #21
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Also LJ--if you get a chance to watch a game or two on TV with someone who knows the rules and is willing to answer a lot of questions, that is another good way to learn. My fiancee picked up the game that way and now she is a fan.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #22
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
Playing tackle makes it too unfair in my group. A couple of us used to play in HS (and 1 guy in D3 college) and are just too big for the rest of us. Touch/flag gives all of us little guys a chance to make plays.

Touch/flag is unfair for us big guys.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:29 PM   #23
ljha1
n00b

Thanks Albionmoonlight. One of the first games i went to I hung out with a guy that used to play for the Waikato Spears. He can't play anymore as spinal damage has left him with only partial feeling in one of his legs. Anyway, he explained heaps to me as it was going which was great, managed to get involved in all the sideline shouting!

Rugby is huge here. I love rugby - its on free tv, unlike football which is only on sky. Never have to go far on a saturday morning if you wanna watch a game of rugby - its going on everywhere.

In the building I work in, about 3 offices down the hall is Jon Mitchell the coach of the All Blacks. He seems like a great guy, despite the fact he is pretty unpopular with the public. Man has a big job, if he doesn't bring home the next world cup he will be in the employment que!
Old 05-05-2003, 05:35 PM   #24
Franklinnoble
Banned

My brother played rugby for Virginia Tech... broke his collarbone pretty early on, though. Rough sport... but seems like a good alternative for the football guys here in the US that played in HS but weren't quite cut out for it at the college level.

I played High School ball, but would get stomped if I did anything beyone intramural in college... 5'11" doesn't cut it if you can't run 40 yards in under 4.4 seconds, or you happen to be freakishly strong.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:47 PM   #25
ljha1
n00b

What time is it in CA?
Old 05-05-2003, 05:50 PM   #26
McSweeny
College Starter

well it's almost 7 here on the east coast... so 4ish out there
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:13 PM   #27
Franklinnoble
Banned

Umm... GMT -8 hours? Or something like that....
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:25 PM   #28
ljha1
n00b

I was just wondering if people are up in the middle of the night. Surely American late night TV isn't as made as the Infomercials we have to endure after hours.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:29 PM   #29
sabotai
General Manager

Many channels on TV run infomercials late at night, but that's why we invented cable TV.

Besides, infomercials or not, I'm an insomniac so I'd be up anyway.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:34 PM   #30
ljha1
n00b

Honestly late night tv here is just infomercials and gospel shows. Actually, now I undestand why ppl are in the forum late night, much more entertaining.

Im at varsity, supposed to be studying but hey, there's always tomorrow!
Old 05-06-2003, 04:01 AM   #31
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Ijha, any chance you are the brother of KiwiLB57, another forum member from New Zealand, who lived in Amsterdam for almost a year?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #32
ljha1
n00b

Ha good spotting, yeah, kiwiLB57 is my brother. He recommended I get into this forum to learn a bit more about football.

Glad he did, enjoy the chatting.

So how did you figure that out? You must be pretty on to it.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:25 AM   #33
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Ijha,
Since I live in the NLs and Kiwi was here a year ago we had some conversations at this message board.

I figured there aren't that many people who play american football, lived in Amsterdam for a year, come from New Zealand and play for their national american football team...

Anyway, this forum has made my interest for american football turn into a must-visit-an-NFLEL-game-every-year...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 05:53 PM   #34
ljha1
n00b

Thats good. I suppose all sport is addictive. Football especially as it is do dramatic and such a "show".
Old 05-11-2003, 07:15 PM   #35
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
you write like a girl
Old 05-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh.. quite a few of us here in the US are lucky to get Fox Sports World (owned by the folks who do Sky in the UK and Aussie/NZ), so every now and then I get to see some good Super 12 action.

Rugby players get mucho respect, I'm just glad that the USA Rugby team (which just qualified for the World Cup) isn't in with New Zealand, you guys would run up quite the score for us.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:09 PM   #37
ljha1
n00b

Thanks Fritz. I assume you have read my confession by now!

Oh, and what does dola mean?

The team my family support (and father used to play for) were knocked out of the super 12 on Saturday night. Very upsetting!
Old 05-11-2003, 09:02 PM   #38
BishopMVP
Coordinator

A dola is when someone posts twice in a row on a topic. It is named after a poster (Dolamite) who used to respond multiple times to his own topics to make it look like someone was reading them.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:28 PM   #39
sabotai
General Manager

I wish I got Fox Sports World, but I live in Jersey, we're lucky to get anything...friggen backwards ass state of mine...
Old 05-11-2003, 11:05 PM   #40
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Welcome aboard ljha1! You are now the second female (that I know of) to populate this message board.

I could finally test out my "Cocky and Funny" charm, but knowing you have a brother on the boards (who has changed his name from kiwiLB57 to kiwiDE57!), I opt to back off.

ABC
Old 05-11-2003, 11:22 PM   #41
Swaggs
Coordinator

There are at least three other women.

Nancy of JSB and lurker (I believe). I also remember a brief visit from Darky's girlfriend.

FOFC: Crossing the Gender Line
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 05:43 AM   #42
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
HARRRRRRRRR!
Old 05-12-2003, 10:19 AM   #43
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I wish I got Fox Sports World, but I live in Jersey, we're lucky to get anything...friggen backwards ass state of mine...

DirecTV man, DirecTv.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:24 PM   #44
ljha1
n00b

Dear Analbumcover,

From the moment we "meet" I could tell, you oozed the characteristics of someone very cocky and funny. Its in the name!

Its a little hard to believe only three girls have been in this board. Its a funny old concept, men are supposed to be uncommunicative and yet they dominate cyberspace. Some theories say it is because woman are scared of electricity (power tools etc!). Others say it is because of power. Men were happy with woman being allowed to use the typewritter but when computer's were developed they decided that they would dominate it. Other's say its because there is such a big "nerd culture" of boys. - Can I just say, i don't agree with these theories. One thing I have been introduced to at Varsity is the concept of male-bashing feminism - & and dont like it!!

Personally I think its because women just LOVE TALKING and prefer to pick up the phone. Also I think woman communicate on a more personal level, ie spill their stories whereas men prefer to talk about.....football!! As such, woman are a little timid of getting on the internet and talking about their favourite topics, love, sex, lies and gossip!

Perhaps you have more female lurkers than you are aware of. How long has FOC been going for? How many people participate.

"entering a computer lab at university is for many female students just about the same as entering the men's changing room at a major sporting event."
Old 05-13-2003, 02:05 AM   #45
kiwiLB57
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I could finally test out my "Cocky and Funny" charm, but knowing you have a brother on the boards (who has changed his name from kiwiLB57 to kiwiDE57!), I opt to back off.

Test away, I'm sure Laura doesn't need my protection... It's usually the other way around!

And I didn't change my name... just my playing position.

kiwiDE57

"the run it at da white boy philosophy will not xsist wif out.... da white boys"

Amen
kiwiLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:27 AM   #46
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(hands kiwi a baseball bat.. and reconsiders and makes it a cricket bat).. still.. after a while you OR Laura will probably want one of these to beat off the rest of the board
Old 05-13-2003, 10:35 AM   #47
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
you OR Laura will probably want one of these to beat off the rest of the board

can I get in the girl line?
Old 05-13-2003, 10:42 AM   #48
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(just shakes his head).

Fritz no baka!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:45 AM   #49
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
(hands kiwi a baseball bat.. and reconsiders and makes it a cricket bat).. still.. after a while you OR Laura will probably want one of these to beat off the rest of the board

I think the rest of the board already has no trouble beating off.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:47 PM   #50
ljha1
n00b

haha, seems gender identity does change the nature of communications!!

Sir fozzie, is that you, my second favourite football player?