Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2024, 11:41 AM   #1
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Trading draft picks for veterans

Does anyone else find that if you poke around trying to trade for high-quality veteran players, the offers you'll get involve the other team asking for so little that it seems like an exploit? Like mid-to-late picks for above-average starters? I'm fine saying "I won't do this as a house rule" if it does, I'm just wondering if others have tried it and what their thoughts are on it.

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:51 PM   #2
KingZal
n00b

I've definitely had a similar experience. I can't swing many trades because of money and fan favoritism, but when opportunities pop up I can sometimes pull off some lopsided trades. In one of my universes I traded a first round pick for a 62 OV DT, but later on I only needed a 3rd and a 5th for a 71 OV WR. (Side note - love how you can view all transactions from previous years)

I do like this trade engine better than FOF8 overall. I'd rather deal with AI that's slightly too generous, than with AI that's so stingy I need three first rounders to get a starting cornerback. Though I guess that's what the Rams did with Jalen Ramsey.

Last edited by KingZal : 05-02-2024 at 05:51 PM.
KingZal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:35 AM   #3
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

I found that it goes both ways. I can find quality players for very little in return but I can also offer a player and can (not always) get some interesting offers in return. Personally I long for an aggressive and difficult AI that does make it challenging. A number of times in universes I started I found I was able to field a top 5 team easily and consistently because of a few quirks like this.

Another one for me are teams at the top of the draft not always drafting to the strengths of the BPA, especially with those skill positions. As an example I have seen teams that have mid-range QB's pass on a much better one for another player that they needed but could have gotten in a later pick.
NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:45 PM   #4
NYC13
n00b

Occasionally yes but in my experience a lot of the time when I've been able to get a good deal like that the player is good for that one season and then their OVR heavily regresses the following year. My theory is that the coding for the AI takes into account how heavily weighted a dice roll might be for a player that age (seems like there's a lot of significant regression for anyone age 30 or above in this game) and therefore is much more willing to take less...but just conjecture.

Separately, I really wish regression happened at the beginning of the offseason. Nothing like signing a guy in the mid 50s who is like age 29 and thinking I've filled a hole and then after training camp he's like a 43.
NYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 07:41 PM   #5
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC13 View Post
Separately, I really wish regression happened at the beginning of the offseason. Nothing like signing a guy in the mid 50s who is like age 29 and thinking I've filled a hole and then after training camp he's like a 43.

Nah, man, gotta take a dive after you've spent the money. Game would be too easy otherwise. Just like in the NFL, those old farts may or may not be worth that three year deal.

Last edited by garion333 : 05-09-2024 at 07:41 PM.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:39 AM   #6
redfox0000
n00b

Conversely, I have had cases where I traded a player to an AI team for draft picks...only to have that team immediately release him, sometimes then resigning him for less money.
redfox0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:57 AM   #7
NYC13
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
Nah, man, gotta take a dive after you've spent the money. Game would be too easy otherwise. Just like in the NFL, those old farts may or may not be worth that three year deal.

Those old farts aren't subject to what seems like a pretty arbitrary dice roll IRL, so not really analogous.

Since it's just a random dice roll it seems like, this seems more fair to have it occur before free agency. Or at the very least between free agency and the draft.
NYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 09:32 PM   #8
claystone
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Does anyone else find that if you poke around trying to trade for high-quality veteran players, the offers you'll get involve the other team asking for so little that it seems like an exploit? Like mid-to-late picks for above-average starters? I'm fine saying "I won't do this as a house rule" if it does, I'm just wondering if others have tried it and what their thoughts are on it.

I've experience other GMs trading with me a 1st round or a couple of 2nd round picks. I guess your league doesn't value vets with high value.