Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Why is Holyfield still fighting?

Anyone?

Quote:
Holyfield dominated in loss to journeyman
Posted: Saturday November 13, 2004 10:37PM; Updated: Saturday November 13, 2004 10:38PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Evander Holyfield may have finally run out of reasons to keep fighting. If so, it appears he'll be the last one to admit it.

The former heavyweight champion's sad decline continued Saturday night when he was dominated by a journeyman fighter who wouldn't have lasted six rounds with him during his prime.

Holyfield stood watching, unable to throw punches even when he saw openings, as Larry Donald jabbed his way to a lopsided 12-round decision that made the 42-year-old Holyfield's quest for the undisputed heavyweight title seem even more ridiculous than it already was.

Still, he refused to call it a career.

"I still feel that I can rise to the occasion so why not continue to pursue the dream," Holyfield said. "I've never given up on anything."

Fighting for the first time since taking a beating last year from James Toney, Holyfield once resembled the fighter who won the heavyweight title four times only in physique. He fell down while throwing a left hook 49 seconds into the fight, setting the tone for what would be a long night.

Holyfield won only one round from each ringside judge, and in the final round Donald added insult to injury by dancing in front of him and slamming left jabs and rights off of his head.

The fight preceded heavyweight title fights between IBF champion Chris Byrd and Jameel McCline and WBA champion John Ruiz and Andrew Golota at Madison Square Garden.

Holyfield, who now has won only twice in his last nine fights, was the sentimental favorite of the crowd, which chanted his name during the sixth round in a futile attempt to get him going.

Donald was content to land jabs to the head and throw an occasional right in the early rounds, but he soon became confident that Holyfield could not hurt him. His dominance was reflected in ringside punching stats, which showed Donald landing 216 of 643 punches to just 78 of 264 for Holyfield.

"There ain't no doubt I won," Donald said. "I won every round."

Donald, who had lost two of his last five fights and was knocked out by Vitali Klitschko two years ago, didn't give Holyfield the beating that Toney did but never gave him a chance to get into the fight, either.

The rounds quickly developed a familiar pattern as the fight went on, with Holyfield standing in front of Donald looking for openings that he seldom took advantage of. Donald piled up points as the rounds went on, and Holyfield wore a resigned look on his face toward the end of the fight.

"I felt good, better than the last time," Holyfield said. "When they raised his hand I considered maybe thinking this was it. But I fought better than last time, he just landed more. I saw all the shots coming."

Holyfield is now 38-8-2, while Donald is 42-3-2.

Last edited by The_herd : 11-13-2004 at 10:08 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
Why is Holyfield still fighting?

$$$$
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
$$$$

I guess he has to feed those kids somehow.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #4
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Because he is the Real Deal.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #5
Blackadar
Retired

Sad. It's clear that he shouldn't be fighting and has all the symptoms of Trauma-Induced Parkinson's disease (Ali's disease).
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:02 PM   #6
TLK
Pro Starter

anyone know the results of the rest of the card?
Old 11-13-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
The_herd
College Starter

maxboxing's website is down apparently. So unless someone ordered this one on pay-per-view there's no way of knowing until its over and ESPN updates thier website.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #8
The_herd
College Starter

Rahman knocked out Meehan in the 4th. Byrd fight is over, but no results posted. Golota-Ruiz is ongoing.

Last edited by The_herd : 11-13-2004 at 11:13 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:16 PM   #9
TLK
Pro Starter

I'm not the biggest boxing fan, but had I of known about these fights, I'd of ordered it... would've given me something to watch tonight while sittin'.... oh well
Old 11-13-2004, 11:18 PM   #10
The_herd
College Starter

Byrd won by decision.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:29 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

I wouldn't have ordered it, and I am a boxing fan.

I just saw on the OOTP boards the Ruiz was knocked down (but not KO'ed from the sound of it)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:29 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

More specifically, Byrd won by split decision.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:32 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

Here's a round by round of Ruiz-Golata I found on another site (Boxing Central)

Round One

Ruiz comes out throwing. Golota covers up. It then slows as Ruiz waits on his punches. There is very little offense from Golota so far. After the bell rings Golota throws an extra punch and both throw more before it is broken up. Nice round for Ruiz who goes up 10-9.

Round Two

Ruiz lands some hard overhand rights. All of a sudden Golota nails him with a straight left and Ruiz goes down! After getting up Golota continues to storm him. It is ugly. Golota muscles Ruiz down and follows with a shot behind the head as Ruiz is on his knees. The ref calls it a knockdown! Ruiz is able to get his wits back and stun Golota a couple times, but the fouling continues. Golota is wrestling him and throwing late punches. It is a 10-7 round for Golota. He is up 19-17.

Round Three

The wrestling continues. Ruiz lands a couple rabbit punches. The ref gives them a warning that the next foul will incur a deduction. When those fouls come, nothing happens. It was a close round. Golota takes it here 10-9. He is up 29-26.

Round Four

The fouls continue and Ruiz becomes the first victim of a point deduction when he lands a bad rabbit punch! They both struggle and push each other around the ring. There is a lot of clinches in the round that Golota takes 10-8 with the deduction. He is up 39-34 now.

Round Five

Tape is fixed on Ruiz' glove and trainer Norman Stone takes the time to absolutley tear into the referee verbally. None of the words are suitable for print. After the round Stone is warned that he will be ejected if it continues. The round is ugly. It is filled with clinches. It goes 10-9 to Golota. He is up 49-43.

Round Six

It is another round filled with fouls. Golota continues to hit him after the ref calls for the break. Ruiz keeps shoving Golota toward the ropes. It is another hard round to score. It goes to Ruiz here 10-9. He is still down 58-53.

Round Seven

It is another tough round. Golota had the advantage early and Ruiz was able to close the gap toward the end of the round with some effective punching. It is going to Golota here 10-9 for a 68-62 lead.

I'll post them as they do.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:34 PM   #14
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I wouldn't have ordered it, and I am a boxing fan.

I just saw on the OOTP boards the Ruiz was knocked down (but not KO'ed from the sound of it)
I have three kids here.... two of which, I don't know their name... Bert vs. Ernie sounds good tonight, let alone some known heavyweight matchups....
Old 11-13-2004, 11:36 PM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

Round Eight

The illegal antics are beginning to subside a bit. Ruiz gets inside and lands some good combinations. He hits Golota with a few nice uppercuts. Ruiz needs his glove taped up again. Norman Stone can't resist. He again goes at the ref and he gets ejected from ringside! As action resumes Golota holds and hits receiving no warning. Then as the bell rings the action continues as both slam each other. Ruiz gets one final shot in really late. It is Ruiz' round 10-9. He is down 77-72.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:37 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
I have three kids here.... two of which, I don't know their name... Bert vs. Ernie sounds good tonight, let alone some known heavyweight matchups....

That must be interesting. "Hey, Jimmy*...and....you other two...knock it off!" *whatever the kid's name is.

I guess I can understand that.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:45 PM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

Round Nine

Ruiz is able to hurt Golota with a couple combinations early, but Golota comes back and he is able to hurt Ruiz. Both take a break. Then Ruiz nails him with a left hook that cuts Golota's eye. Golota is staggered, but returns fire to slow him down. Ruiz takes the round 10-9. He is now down 86-82.

Round Ten

Every time Ruiz has him where he wants him, Golota comes through with a saving punch that stops Ruiz. Both guys look tired. Ruiz stuns Golota as the round ends. Then after the bell Golata knocks Ruiz down! The ref says it was not late. He says it was at the bell. Yet, he does not call it a knockdown. Ruiz takes the round 10-9 and is now down 95-92.

Last edited by sabotai : 11-13-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:49 PM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

Round Eleven

The action really slows this round. The best punches are rabbit punches by Golota. Both are very tired. Golota takes the round 10-9 and is up 105-101.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:53 PM   #19
sabotai
General Manager

Round Twelve

Both corners want their man to go for the KO. There were so many close rounds that they do not know who is ahead. The 2 knockdowns and deduction will really help Golota here assumming this goes to the cards. Both men are really to tired to go all out. Ruiz still outworks him though. He lands some hard punches at the very end. Ruiz takes the final round 10-9. The score here is 114-111 for Golota.

The judges scores are coming ...
Old 11-13-2004, 11:56 PM   #20
sabotai
General Manager

They have it 114-111, 113-112 and 114-111 all for JOHN RUIZ!
Old 11-13-2004, 11:57 PM   #21
TLK
Pro Starter

hurry... me, jimmy, and the other two are waiting...

[edit] damn... too late[/edit]

Last edited by TLK : 11-13-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:41 AM   #22
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
They have it 114-111, 113-112 and 114-111 all for JOHN RUIZ!

Yeah, I was watching this card... the result was just weird. I mean, a unanimous decision for Ruiz???? I don't know what fight they were watching. It really hurts, because the fight before this (Byrd/McCline) was very good IMHO. And then the card finishes with crap like this.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote