Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

NCAA's 5 for 5 rule

I haven't read any discussion on this and was wondering what some of the opinions around here were.

Summary for those that don't know: The NCAA is very close to allowing 5 years of eligibility for players and eliminating the redshirt season altogether, medical included (no more 6th year seniors). From what if read, its going to easily pass at next April's NCAA meetings and is a big reason so many true freshmen are playing this year. Coaches are seeing this as a year of eligibility they don't want to lose. The reason for this rule is it takes the average player 4.8 years to graduate, and allows them to play their entire time in college.

So my question is, what are the potential impacts and what do you think about this in general?

Personally, I think this could really level he playing field a bit for the non-BCS teams. Players being able to stay 5 years is a much bigger help to these teams than for the BCS schools that lose players to the NFL on a regular basis. Also, players could be scared off from the Miami's of the college football world because of the potential to be in a backup role for an extra year.

The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

This is stupid. They already have graduate and graduated players playing. Why not give them 10 years then. What's the difference.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Wasn't this proposal already rejected?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Good rule. I think people will stay 4 but some at smaller schools will stay all five.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Wasn't this proposal already rejected?

No, it was first proposed in '94 and will finally be voted on in April. As I said above, its almost a given to pass according to what I've read on it.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
Huckleberry
College Starter

It's because the average player takes 4.8 years to graduate? Sounds like coaches need to tell their players to stop studying so hard. If it starts to take them 6.8 years to graduate, soon we'll have 7 years of eligibility!

1st year: Freshman
2nd year: Sophomore
3rd year: Junior
4th year: Senior
5th year: NFL Reject

Will that be the naming scheme?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

They should get rid of redshirting except for injury
Old 09-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
It's because the average player takes 4.8 years to graduate?

A lot of students take 4.8 years to graduate.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:00 PM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

I thought the NCAA was going to start selling roast beef sandwiches there for a second.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #10
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I always liked the idea of redshirting. It makes coaches make tactical decisions on their team to help not only on the court, but also in recruiting (trying to make sure you don't lose all your starters).

Giving everyone an extra year is like adding an extra $15 mil to the salary cap because a lot of teams will be over in 2005. At what point do you stop?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:03 PM   #11
Huckleberry
College Starter

Balldog -

I figured the average player didn't graduate. Unless they're talking only about players that graduate. But I seriously doubt the average Division 1 player graduates in 4.8 years. Even if you throw in an 8 year datapoint for every player that never graduates.

herd -

Do you have any links to this reading you're been doing?

Old 09-20-2004, 03:06 PM   #12
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
A lot of students take 4.8 years to graduate.

Shit. I think I'm on pace for 9.6 years.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:08 PM   #13
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:

herd -

Do you have any links to this reading you're been doing?

Read an article a month or so ago that talked about it and the latest ESPN the mag echos what that same article was saying.

A quick google came up this. Its supposed to apply to all sports, not just football, or in this case, basketball.

Quote:
NCAA supports eligibility changes

Friday, July 09, 2004
By Michael Marot, The Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- NCAA president Myles Brand will back a sweeping new proposal that would give college basketball players a fifth season of eligibility.

One day after the National Association of Basketball Coaches unanimously approved the measure, Brand responded by calling it an "outstanding package."

"I'm supportive of the package in its entirety," Brand said yesterday. "It's coherent, and it's an effort to make the coach look more like a mentor and a teacher."

The coaches' association plans to submit a revised proposal to the NCAA. The NCAA must debate the measure and approve the recommendations, a process that likely will take at least a year.

Brand believes the extra year of eligibility will help place a greater emphasis on education and improve lagging graduation rates.

He said most students take 4.8 years to graduate and that athletes should be expected to do the same.

Another part of the package calls for coaches to meet regularly with players about their classwork and future plans.

While Brand acknowledged there would be critics, he will not be one.

"I understand it will be controversial," he said. "We'll see how it turns out. But I believe the main purpose is to increase graduation rates in men's basketball, which has had the most severe problem."

If the NCAA passes the plan, coaches also would be able to make more phone calls to recruits.

Other measures in the proposal include more stringent penalties for schools committing secondary infractions and greater enforcement of current NCAA rules.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

It takes a lot of people longer than 4 years to graduate college than many think (mainly because most people end up changing their majors at some point). It took me 4.5 years (9 semesters) to graduate because I changed my major.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:12 PM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
It takes a lot of people longer than 4 years to graduate college than many think (mainly because most people end up changing their majors at some point). It took me 4.5 years (9 semesters) to graduate because I changed my major.

If you played football (no idea if you did...bear with me for jokes sake) it would have taken 7 years.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #16
Huckleberry
College Starter

Okay, my question was answered. It's students overall, not players, that average 4.8 years to graduate.

Old 09-20-2004, 04:00 PM   #17
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Okay, my question was answered. It's students overall, not players, that average 4.8 years to graduate.

I was going off memory of the month old artilcle on that number there.

I'm surprised that this hasn't received more pub considering how far along the planning is and the fact that its expected to implemented next year.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:17 PM   #18
henry296
College Starter

This was posted on the Ivy Basketball web page:

Coaches drop proposal to give NCAA men's basketball players a fifth season

September 16, 2004
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (AP) -- The National Association of Basketball Coaches on Thursday dropped a proposal that would have allowed men's college basketball players five seasons of NCAA eligibility.

``Although the committee still believes that such a proposal offers a viable solution to furthering its goal to increase graduation rates in the sport of men's basketball,'' a statement from the NABC read in part, ``it recognizes that there are some potential unintended consequences that warrant additional consideration.''
Old 09-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

So it appears this is dead in the water, but no matter...

I am assuming no adjustments to numbers of scholarships. If that is true, I don't really see this affecting things much. The kids who can contribute in their true freshman year are the type who probably won't be around all four years at major programs--exceptions may be someone like Reggie Ball at Georgia Tech, who is probably not going to be an NFL prospect, but did start as a true freshman.. For the kids who can't compete as true freshmen, it really is no different than a red shirt year.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #20
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
So it appears this is dead in the water, but no matter...

I am assuming no adjustments to numbers of scholarships. If that is true, I don't really see this affecting things much. The kids who can contribute in their true freshman year are the type who probably won't be around all four years at major programs--exceptions may be someone like Reggie Ball at Georgia Tech, who is probably not going to be an NFL prospect, but did start as a true freshman.. For the kids who can't compete as true freshmen, it really is no different than a red shirt year.

Not positive this is dead for football yet. Its not voted on for football until April, so anything can happen.

The biggest impact could be on the smaller schools. They get their players in there for 5 years. Thats big for teams such as Marshall, LA Teck, and Boise. It would also have the potential to spread players out a bit more.

A direct quote from ESPN the Mag:

Quote:
"In the past we played freshmen only when circumstances dictated that you had to," says one SEC head coach. "Now I think all coaches are approaching it differently because we know we can."

Last edited by The_herd : 09-20-2004 at 04:43 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #21
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
Not positive this is dead for football yet. Its not voted on for football until April, so anything can happen.

The biggest impact could be on the smaller schools. They get their players in there for 5 years. Thats big for teams such as Marshall, LA Teck, and Boise. It would also have the potential to spread players out a bit more.

A direct quote from ESPN the Mag:

I think smaller schools will definitely benefit more from the rule, but I still think the effect will be pretty minimal. Even at smaller schools the number of freshman who can contribute as true freshman is relatively small. Sure, they won't be redshirting and can play when/if needed (or get mop up duty or maybe have a trick play designed for them), but in all practical purposes, I really don't see it being much different from a redshirt year.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:33 PM   #22
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I thought the NCAA was going to start selling roast beef sandwiches there for a second.

Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:01 AM   #23
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm at 14 years and counting...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:57 AM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I second Crappy's

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:20 AM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If only it were still 5 for 5......now its like 4 for 5.55 IIRC. I guess you can still get 5 melts for 5 bucks someplaces, tho its not guaranteed that they are a dollar item.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:22 AM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
If only it were still 5 for 5......now its like 4 for 5.55 IIRC. I guess you can still get 5 melts for 5 bucks someplaces, tho its not guaranteed that they are a dollar item.

It's actually 5 for $5.95 which still isn't too bad, but it's not 5 for $5 or even the previous 5 for $5.55.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:23 AM   #27
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Why limit it at all? You should be able to compete for as long as you are a student in good standing.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:24 AM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe the 4 for 5.55 was for the BeefnCheddars, my personal fave anyways.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:25 AM   #29
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:

excellent......
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:26 AM   #30
TLK
Pro Starter

dola....

the only time I eat at Arby's, is when they run that promotion. Otherwise their just too damn expensive....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:28 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
dola....

the only time I eat at Arby's, is when they run that promotion. Otherwise their just too damn expensive....

Second that. The 2 subs for 4 bucks is a good deal when they run that as well. Otherwise Arby's is for the fucking elitists of this world with an ubercash stack.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #32
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I like the Triple Cheese & Bacon.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote