Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

New NASCAR points system

I haven't seen this discussed yet. I'm not the biggest race fan, but I enjoy watching it a bit. I'm interested in some true fan's perspectives on this. Personally, I hate it, and think its gonna kill the last 10 races. With only 10 drivers guaranteed to be going all out to win. It seems to be more of a novelty than a real way to determine a season champion.

http://espn.go.com/rpm/wc/2004/0120/1713379.html

Quote:
Points to change in final 10 races
Associated Press

CONCORD, N.C. -- In a bid to add excitement and put more emphasis on winning, NASCAR changed its scoring system Tuesday by setting up a showdown for the Nextel Cup championship over the season's last 10 races.

"I'm confident it is going to work and the drivers and teams are going to like it after they hear all the details," NASCAR chairman Brian France said.

NASCAR has been criticized in recent years for using a points system that rewarded consistency more than winning. Matt Kenseth won the 2003 championship despite finishing first in just one race. Ryan Newman was sixth in the standings despite winning a series-high eight races.

France said the changes to the system that had been in place since 1975 are aimed at increasing attendance and TV ratings that usually drop in the fall because of competition from the World Series and NFL.

The new format will take effect after the first 26 races. The drivers in the top 10 and any other within 400 points of the leader will earn a berth in what NASCAR has dubbed the "Chase for the Championship."

Those drivers will have their point totals adjusted. The first-place driver will begin the final 10 races with 5,050 points, the second driver 5,045 and so on, with incremental drops of five points for all those involved in the championship showdown.

The drivers not involved in the championship will keep the points they have earned to that point in the season.

"This new model will provide all title contenders an opportunity to compete and contend for the championship," NASCAR president Mike Helton said.

He pointed out that no driver outside the top 10 in points with 10 races remaining has ever won the championship.

"This is not a playoff," Helton said. "Every one of our events will continue to be a Super Bowl and all 43 drivers will be trying to win every race."

The champion will be guaranteed a minimum of $5 million, while each of the other drivers who finish in the top 10 will earn $1 million. The 11th-place finisher will get a $250,000 bonus.

NASCAR also will award a race winner an additional five points, beginning with the season-opening Daytona 500 on Feb. 15.

Last edited by The_herd : 01-20-2004 at 01:51 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

**non NASCAR fan take

That could be the dumbest system ever invented...

Just weight a win more heavily and problem solved.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 01-20-2004 at 11:39 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

What's this NACAR thing you're talking about ?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

dola -

Oh, and anway, what do you expect from a guy called 'France' ?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
Airhog
Captain Obvious

** Nascar fan take

This is the dumbest system ever invented...

I agree with rkmsuf. They should place the emphasis on winning. This move has really turned nascar into something like pro basketball. A long, drawn out meaningless season.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
I'm interested in some true fan's perspectives on this.

Since I've been following NASCAR since the 70's (pre-TV deal), and follow it more closely year-round that any other sport I guess I qualify.

And I've got pretty much the same take on it you do. It's quite possibly the stupidest f'n thing I've ever heard.

Nextel has decided to try to fix something that isn't broken. And IMO they may very well end up killing the goose that laid the golden egg they wanted so badly.

See ratings. See ratings go down.

I suspect we'll watch NASCAR follow the WWF/WWE business model, peak and then return to much-lower previous levels.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
hukarez
College Starter

Darryl Waltrip (sp?) expressed his displeasure with this to the Terry Bradshaw during the Eagles-Panthers game, I think. I don't really follow NASCAR that much. Heck; I'm not even sure what station it's usually on these days. NBC, FOX, vice versa? ABC, maybe?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
The_herd
College Starter

I know toward the end of the season when the changes were starting to be proposed, this one came up and I thought it was just going to be one of those idea's that are thrown out there, everyone realizes its stupid, and they go on from there. As some people above said, awarding more points for a win and also throwing out the points bonus for leading a lap are a good place to start if they wanted change, but this is ridiculous.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:16 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
I know toward the end of the season when the changes were starting to be proposed, this one came up and I thought it was just going to be one of those idea's that are thrown out there, everyone realizes its stupid, and they go on from there. As some people above said, awarding more points for a win and also throwing out the points bonus for leading a lap are a good place to start if they wanted change, but this is ridiculous.

Come on guys it's so simple. Keep the lap leading bonus, if you finish out of the top 10 you get zero points and a win should be triple that of 2nd place...

Done, now go get more sponsors...
Old 01-20-2004, 01:18 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

That is pretty retarded. The rationale that "No one lower than the top 10 with 10 races to go has ever won." is pretty stupid too. Just because it's never happened means it won't happen in the future?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:21 PM   #11
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Who cares, it's NASCAR.

Hell, I could drive in a circle all day too...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Who cares, it's NASCAR.

Yeah but you don't get points...they do. So they've got that going for them...
Old 01-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #13
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I think that change in this sense is good. At least a good start. Something needed to be done, IMHO, and more than just extra points for the winner. I think they should look at other categories and award points based upon those as well.

e.g.

Lead most laps (season accumulation):
+10 pts
Win race (each race)
+15 pts
Getting the Pole (each race)
+5 pts
Lead at half way point (each race)
+5 pts
Fastest Lap (each race)
+5 pts
Lead most laps (each race - already in place)
+5 pts
Finsish on lead lap (each race)
+5 pts

I'm not saying that every one of those needs to be used, or that there aren't more options, but I like this sort of idea because it could spark different strategies for different parts of the race.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
I think that change in this sense is good. At least a good start. Something needed to be done, IMHO, and more than just extra points for the winner. I think they should look at other categories and award points based upon those as well.

e.g.

Lead most laps (season accumulation):
+10 pts
Win race (each race)
+15 pts
Getting the Pole (each race)
+5 pts
Lead at half way point (each race)
+5 pts
Fastest Lap (each race)
+5 pts
Lead most laps (each race - already in place)
+5 pts
Finsish on lead lap (each race)
+5 pts

I'm not saying that every one of those needs to be used, or that there aren't more options, but I like this sort of idea because it could spark different strategies for different parts of the race.

Way too complicated. How are the people in the infield supposed to follow this?

I thought the overriding strategy of a car race was to win the race?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #15
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Who cares, it's NASCAR.

Try doing it for 400-500 miles, 2-4 hours, bumper-to-bumper traffic at 200 miles a hour. Try doing it at Bristol.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #16
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Yeah but you don't get points...they do. So they've got that going for them...

I do if I run over small children... 200 POINTS!
Old 01-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #17
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I love the open-wheel points system (expect IRL).
Old 01-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #18
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Quote:
What's this NACAR thing you're talking about ?

LOL!!

Maybe he was so excited about being the first one to post, he did not check his spelling.

NEXTEL CUP??? It just doesn't sound right at all.

WINSTON CUP sounds much better!
Old 01-20-2004, 01:31 PM   #19
Bonegavel

Quote:
Way too complicated. How are the people in the infield supposed to follow this?

I thought the overriding strategy of a car race was to win the race?

The overall strategy is to become the nascar champion, and this is done via the points system.

Too complicated? They track those stats as it is, so how is this more complicated?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:34 PM   #20
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Nextel has decided to try to fix something that isn't broken. And IMO they may very well end up killing the goose that laid the golden egg they wanted so badly..

Nextel now makes the rules for NASCAR? I thought it was just a sponsorship thing........
Old 01-20-2004, 01:37 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
The overall strategy is to become the nascar champion, and this is done via the points system.

Too complicated? They track those stats as it is, so how is this more complicated?

I don't like it. They seem to want excitement in the sport right...you don't create excitement by awarding 5 points for fastest lap or 10 points for fewest farts over 500 miles. That's a bummer to try and get a handle on. Not to mention that most sports focus on the winner of events.

It may work for the race teams but for fans it's dumb. They need to emphasize the winners. Not the guys who coast in 20th 50 times in a row but won the pole or led some laps.

They really want to make it exciting...how about an IROC like shootout as the final race of the year. Winner take all...
Old 01-20-2004, 01:41 PM   #22
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

This is the points system for Formula One. I like it. It's reward the top % of teams. Maybe a system along this lines is what Nascar needs. Reward consistency, reward wins alittle heavier (for some reason, winning a race in Nascar isn't what it used to be anymore).

1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 8 points
3rd place: 6 points
4th place: 5 points
5th place: 4 points
6th place: 3 points
7th place: 2 points
8th place: 1 point
Old 01-20-2004, 01:41 PM   #23
Bonegavel

Quote:
I don't like it. They seem to want excitement in the sport right...you don't create excitement by awarding 5 points for fastest lap or 10 points for fewest farts over 500 miles. That's a bummer to try and get a handle on. Not to mention that most sports focus on the winner of events.

It may work for the race teams but for fans it's dumb. They need to emphasize the winners. Not the guys who coast in 20th 50 times in a row but won the pole or led some laps.

They really want to make it exciting...how about an IROC like shootout as the final race of the year. Winner take all...

Nascar is unique in that each race is essentially a shootout. If they dropped the championship, nothing much would change (except worrying about points) and it would go back to Wins Mean Everything. However, given that the Series Championship awards a single driver with a title, more money, and "prestige", I think the points system should be spiced up a bit.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:46 PM   #24
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Nascar is unique in that each race is essentially a shootout. If they dropped the championship, nothing much would change (except worrying about points) and it would go back to Wins Mean Everything. However, given that the Series Championship awards a single driver with a title, more money, and "prestige", I think the points system should be spiced up a bit.

They really should think about doing it like the PGA Tour. Money list is everything and at the end someone is awarded player of the year. Look how much debate was sparked this season between Tiger and Singh. That's the kind of talk you want and will incent guys to push at the end. Maybe they don't get the payday but the prestige is there. Take the big payday and disperse those funds throughout the season, track the money list and at the end declare the best. If anything it will get fans talking...
Old 01-20-2004, 01:48 PM   #25
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

But a championship should award the BEST driver. It should not put aside just for "entertainment purposes".
Old 01-20-2004, 02:04 PM   #26
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
But a championship should award the BEST driver. It should not put aside just for "entertainment purposes".

I'm not trying to say that changing the rules is the best thing to do, I just like when things get spiced up a little. Most of the times, change, while at first seen as evil/bad for a sport, eventually turns out to be a good thing. When Winston first got involved with NASCAR, the drivers were pissed, but they fell in love (for the most part) with it and now don't like the Nextel change.

Obviously, what has happened is that the late races aren't drawing as much of a crowd when the race isn't tight (like this year) and they are losing revenue. They feel a need, and rightly so, to make the last race as exciting as the first and the current system just doesn't afford that year in and year out.

Maybe the thing to do is break the season into quarters - at the end of 10/20/30/40 races, there is a winner for that leg of the season. Race 41 is a full-field race where the first 4 positions are determined by the placing of the 4 quarter-winners (even if they came in 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd respectively) and the 5 - 43 is the order that everyone else places for that race.

I like that they are attempting to make change, but I don't think they should screw a whole season with a test. Maybe they should do all the points system testing in Busch, or have a contest where everyone has a chance to submit their idea for the best points system in order to get more ideas flowing.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:05 PM   #27
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I don't much care for the new system either. It's probably the worst of many options. They could have left the point system alone, or they could have boosted points for winning, or they could have added points for winning poles, or they could have eliminated points for backmarkers, or they could have adopted the Formula 1 point system, or they could have added a bonus race for the top 10 or whatever.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #28
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I say they should have kept the old system but taked on an extra 15-25 points on the winner of each race . ......or let the BCS decide the champ .
Old 01-20-2004, 02:26 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Bah. If I wanted to watch a bunch of rednecks driving domestic "stock" cars in a circle, I'd go hang out in the parking lot at the Piggly-Wiggly.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:30 PM   #30
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Though I despise the new rating system I guess we will have to see how things turn out ....Lets wait till The end of the season to judge . I suspect that there will be a big controversy before this season is done .
Old 01-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Nextel now makes the rules for NASCAR? I thought it was just a sponsorship thing........

It was pretty consistent conversation throughout the "trial balloon" phase that this is an idea borne to NASCAR by Nextel. The theory is that this will generate additional interest in the end of the season & better serve to limit focus of the series to a handful of stars instead of the full field. And doing so will give Nextel better bang for their buck.

It's the same approach that Clear Channel has been using recently with both their Monster Truck series & the PBR Series. Unfortunately, as someone who has followed both for a few years, it's a style that leaves me cold.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #32
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Bah. If I wanted to watch a bunch of rednecks driving domestic "stock" cars in a circle, I'd go hang out in the parking lot at the Piggly-Wiggly.

How bout if your not a fan of the sport, don't bother even responding to the thread? It's not that hard. Don't try and ruin everyone else's discussion about the topic. I'm really getting sick of people doing that, every thread about NASCAR or the NBA ya have people that just feel the need to mention they don't enjoy it.

But about the points system. I think they should have stuck with the old system, but with an extra emphasis on wins.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #33
spleen1015
Coordinator

If the keep the individual race scoring system as is, then this "any driver outside of the top 10, but within 400 points gets into the playoff' rule is pretty damn worthless. With 10 races to go, it is a pretty safe bet that even 10th place will be outside that 400 points.

They should just award more points to the winner of each race and leave it at that. All a radical change is going to do is steer folks away.

I don't like it, but we'll see how it works out. Usually, with 10 races to go, not very many guys have a chance to win anyway, maybe 2-6.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:16 PM   #34
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold101
How bout if your not a fan of the sport, don't bother even responding to the thread? It's not that hard. Don't try and ruin everyone else's discussion about the topic. I'm really getting sick of people doing that, every thread about NASCAR or the NBA ya have people that just feel the need to mention they don't enjoy it.

How 'bout if you're oversensitive and don't have a sense of humor, you just ignore my posts from now on? Sheesh... you can't even make redneck jokes around here anymore without getting someone's panties in a wad.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:33 PM   #35
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
How 'bout if you're oversensitive and don't have a sense of humor, you just ignore my posts from now on? Sheesh... you can't even make redneck jokes around here anymore without getting someone's panties in a wad.

Franklin - I don't think gold was lashing out specifically at you. I've noticed as well that every time a thread on NASCAR gets started, you have 3 or 4 yo-yo's who feel the need to pop in an express how "boring" it is, or "NASCAR? What's that?" or "oooooh, how tough can it be to drive in a circle". It gets old. I kinda equate it to that Saturday Night Live skit with the guy by the copier. "NASSSSSCARRRRRRRR. NASCAROOONI. The NASCARATOR. Drivin' in CIR-CULLLLS." It's just irritating and after a while you smack the guy with a ream of paper.

Consider yourself whacked.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #36
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
... I kinda equate it to that Saturday Night Live skit with the guy by the copier. "NASSSSSCARRRRRRRR. NASCAROOONI. The NASCARATOR. Drivin' in CIR-CULLLLS." It's just irritating and after a while you smack the guy with a ream of paper.

Consider yourself whacked.

Now THAT'S comedy!

Old 01-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #37
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Apparently at the end of 26 races the top 10 drivers will only be seperated by 5 points : Ie.... Dale Jr. at week 26 leads over Ryan Newmann by 200 pts. then that lead would be lessened to 5 points ....basically taking away the hard work of the #1 team . Makes no sense to me .
Old 01-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #38
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

after dissing NASCAR for years (and probably being one of those 3 or 4 making redneck jokes), I have to admit that I've started watching, and enjoying the races. I still am not an expert on the sport (and probably never will be), but I don't mind the new system. I think it will add excitement to the end of the season that is currently missing.

but, I think there's a bigger question that this doesn't really address: who SHOULD have won the championship last year? Kenseth only won one race, but he was extremely consistent. Newman won 8 races but was killed by several DNFs. There are arguements for both sides of it (personally, I say consistency), and this new system doesn't really address or resolve that big question.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:35 PM   #39
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold101

shitfaced dickhead
Old 01-20-2004, 09:41 PM   #40
FargoFreez aka fof playa
Banned

Quote:
shitfaced dickhead

Shitfaced dickhead.
FargoFreez aka fof playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:25 PM   #41
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Kirby Puckett.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:31 PM   #42
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Kirby Puckett.

Don't make me put my robe and wizard hat on...
Old 01-20-2004, 10:45 PM   #43
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Don't make me put my robe and wizard hat on...

If you have some nifty underwear that go with them I'll do whatever it takes.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:38 PM   #44
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

My dad took me to the Milwaukee Mile when i was 3. I've been following racing for 31 years now. I would assume that qualifies me to reply to this thread. Here are a few of my thoughts on this.........

1.)I think this new points format is going to have an adverse effect on race team sponsorship. Here's why......These big corporate sponsors are now going to use this new point/championship system to their advantage. Sponsor says to team, "Ok, we will fund you for the first 26 races. If, after 26 races, you are not in the top 10/400 pts back, we will drop our funding of your team for the last 10 races. If you are in the top 10/400 pts back, we will continue to fund your team for the remaining 10 races." This is going to happen folks. These big companies are not stupid, and if their car/team is not in the running for a championship, why would they want to continue funding the car/team? It's going to lead to unsponsored cars and possibly even shortened fields for those last ten races. Imagine how Nextel will feel if the 30th race of the year only has 35 cars starting?

2.) Speaking of Nextel, anyone who thinks Nextel is having a direct impact on these points/championship decisions is wrong. Nextel told NASCAR that they want nothing to do with any of these decisions. In fact, NASCAR is kicking themselves right now for not implementing this idea a year ago, while Winston was still the main series sponsor.

3.) It's a shame that NASCAR feels the need for such drastic changes like this, especially since the Busch series and the Craftsman truck series both came down to the final race last year to decide their champions. There were 4 drivers in the Busch series still in contention for the title going into Homestead, while the truck series had 5 drivers that could have walked away with the title in the last race.

4.) The last time the last Winston cup race of the season had any real meaning was 1992, the year Alan Kulwicki came back to win the championship.

Am i in favor of the new format? No. Am i in favor of making changes. Maybe. I did have an idea that would maybe be kind of cool. I was thinking if they split the season up into 3-12 race series, and have a spring champ, a summer champ, and a fall champ, PLUS track the total points of all 36 races to have a year end champ, that might bring a little more interest both from sponsors and fans.

I'll say this though, and this comes from a life long Nascar fan.........Nascar will NEVER compete with the NFL when it comes to TV ratings. And i think this is ultimately what Nascar is trying to do. It ain't gonna happen.
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:43 PM   #45
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabiak
This is going to happen folks. These big companies are not stupid, and if their car/team is not in the running for a championship, why would they want to continue funding the car/team? It's going to lead to unsponsored cars and possibly even shortened fields for those last ten races. Imagine how Nextel will feel if the 30th race of the year only has 35 cars starting?

do they do this now? because after 26 races under the old rules, there's tons of teams that aren't in the running. why will it be different under the new rules?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:53 PM   #46
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

My guess is "yes", because now the bar has been set. So now, sponsors are more inclined to say "you need to be within 400 pts of the points leader or we will pull our sponsorship $$$". Now will ALL sponsors do this? Probably not, but i'm certain that it's gonna happen sooner or later. It will get negotiated into contracts, both for drivers AND sponsors, without a doubt.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:04 AM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2.) Speaking of Nextel, anyone who thinks Nextel is having a direct impact on these points/championship decisions is wrong. Nextel told NASCAR that they want nothing to do with any of these decisions.

For someone who's been following NASCAR as long as you have (and I believe you know your stuff), that's sounds awfully naive.

At this point, I don't believe even those paragons of arrogance, the France family, are going to wipe their collective butts without approval from Nextel, not with the size of the dollars involved.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:07 AM   #48
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Dola---

Wanted to post an article, from Matt McLaughlin at racingone.com.......

Every so often NASCAR does something so monumentally stupid that even the most jaded and cynical of us who expect little of the powers that be are left gasping as if Jimmy Hoffa had showed up at the front door delivering Chinese food. I’ve been of the opinion that NASCAR could screw up a two car funereal for many years now. But I’ll admit last Thursday’s announcement that the sanctioning body was going ahead with the proposed 26-10 playoff system, albeit with some minor alterations, had me wondering if I was experiencing an acid flashback from my misspent youth.

Since the idea first entered public debate the idea has met with scorn, ridicule and outright contempt by the fans. In every poll I’ve seen the results were overwhelmingly against the idea. Internet message boards aren’t known as bastions of civilized debate, but the passionate dislike of the playoff concept had posters mining new depths of vitriol.

What’s more, almost to a man, the drivers themselves said with various degrees of tact they hated the playoff idea. (Well, except Michael Waltrip of course. Waltrip has become such a mouthpiece of NASCAR that if Brian France shoved a stick in a frozen turd and called it a poopsicle, within five minutes Waltrip would find a way to appear on TV eating one, telling people it was delicious, and urging fans to stock their freezers full of them.) Oh, and the talking heads that work at NBC seem to love the idea. There’s a surprise.

With their trial balloon on the playoffs having drawn heavy fire, it would seem any sane NASCAR official would have started backpedaling fast enough to outrun Lance Armstrong through the Alps in reverse. They had a perfect opportunity to distance themselves from the idea and claim that such a concept was never seriously under consideration. Oh, that crazy Jimmy Spencer and those idiots on the Internet. Where do they come up with this nonsense? But in spite of the overwhelming negative reaction to the idea, the arrogance of the powers that be has convinced them to press on regardless.

What particularly irritated me was a comment by NASCAR’s Jim Hunter that the fans don’t understand the playoff concept and once it’s explained to them they’ll love it. You know what? I don’t think so. Hunter’s attitude seems to be that of a parent trying to feed a particularly fussy infant in a high chair. “Ummm, yummy, yummy, strained peas. Open up and say, ah! You’re going to love this. Daddy says it’s good for you and it tastes so yummy.” But the typical NASCAR fan has reached a level of maturity and discernment that they don’t need to be told what they like and dislike. They understand the concept just fine, Jimbo, and most of them hate the idea.

But, NASCAR officials are doubtlessly chuckling behind closed doors, we’ve gotten away with this sort of stuff before. The fans hated the “common template” idea so we relabled it “aero-matching” and snuck it in under the radar. Most fans hated the idea of giving up the Southern 500 on Labor Day weekend but NASCAR hid behind the smoke and mirrors of “Realignment 2003 and Beyond” and so muddied the waters fans barely even noticed they were losing a Rockingham race and that Texas Motor Speedway was the real victim of Realignment. Yummy, yummy, strained peas.

But some ideas are just so flawed from the outset, there’s no way you can make them work. You can name a three-legged mule “Secretariat” but he’s not going to win the Kentucky Derby. And compared to the 26-10 playoff system entering a three-legged mule in a Triple Crown event seems like a brilliant idea.

Noting the fussy infant sounds coming from the fans, Mr. Hunter went on to note “Everybody questions change, but we've put a lot of thought in this. I am firmly convinced this will add some drama and some excitement to our season" Put out that roach, empty your pockets on the hood and give us permission to search the car, please. If something as radical as the 26-10 Playoff system is needed to “add some drama and excitement to our season” then you’re overlooking the disease to concentrate on the symptoms. How is it the racing season as we’ve known it has become so lacking in drama and excitement that folks would rather watch a college football game than a Whatever Cup race? Is it possibly because NASCAR has allowed the cars to become so aerodynamically extreme it’s made passing all but impossible? Could it be those cars are so aerodynamic drivers are afraid to tweak their play-pretties rubbing fenders? Is it possible the plethora of multi-use single groove cookie-cutter tracks added to the schedule just don’t allow for exciting racing? Is it possible the cost of Cup racing has gotten so out of hand that half the cars entered in a race are behind the eight ball before they’re even unloaded off the truck Friday morning? Is it possible your drivers have become bland caricatures that spout the sponsor spiel in mind-numbingly robotic terms and don’t elicit much passion these days? Cure the disease and the symptoms will go away too. Give a man with broken a leg crutches and he’ll be able to make some forward progress. Heal his leg and one day he’ll run again.

I’ve been around awhile and I don’t seem to recall there being a lot of problems attracting viewers after Labor Day in 1986 when Tim Richmond was on his hot streak and Dale Earnhardt was heading for another title. This wasn’t an issue when Bill Elliott was competing for the Winston Million in 1985 and engaged in a down to the wire points battle with Darrell Waltrip for that year’s championship. I seem to recall NASCAR added a lot of new fans late in the season when Davey Allison, Alan Kulwicki and Bill Elliott were engaged in their epic points battle back in 1992. Maybe we ought to go back and start using the points system we used in those years. What’s that? Oh, yeah, right. I’ll shut my yap now before I end up with a mouthful of strained peas.

Is the playoff system the end of NASCAR? Not likely. But it’s another sign the powers that be have lost touch their most loyal fans. The sport is headed downhill and the decline is growing steeper every season. It’s bad enough to ignore your fans, but don’t go compounding things by treating them like idiots who don’t know what’s good for them. If you’re going to sin, sin bravely. Don’t go tweaking things with “all drivers within 300 points are in the playoffs. (Incidentally Matt Kenseth left Richmond last fall with a 415 point margin over the second place driver.) Don’t go tossing red herrings about with system that gives the Anointed 10 (or 11, or 12 or 13) varying degrees of points and only further confuses fans as to how this mess works. Because it’s not going to work. If you ask me, and I ain’t saying anyone did, this whole playoff idea is Nothing But Crap. And you can abbreviate that NBC.

Last edited by Wasabiak : 01-21-2004 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:10 AM   #49
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
For someone who's been following NASCAR as long as you have (and I believe you know your stuff), that's sounds awfully naive.

At this point, I don't believe even those paragons of arrogance, the France family, are going to wipe their collective butts without approval from Nextel, not with the size of the dollars involved.

Well, answer this question for me then........Why would Nextel be in favor of implimenting a new points system that is turning off so many fans? Doesn't make any sense to me. If anything, i would think Nextel would demand that the points system stay the same?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:49 AM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, answer this question for me then........Why would Nextel be in favor of implimenting a new points system that is turning off so many fans? Doesn't make any sense to me. If anything, i would think Nextel would demand that the points system stay the same?

Because they're convinced of two things:
1) The existing fans will stick around and enjoy what McLaughlin aptly described as "a poopsicle"
2) Creating "stars" will attract new fans to the TV spectacle

The column you posted aptly puts a lot of blame for this mess on television, and I was remiss in not making a bigger point of that here myself (it's been part of my rant IRL & elsewhere, I just failed to add that prong here).

NBC/Fox are driving the bus, Nextel owns the bus(which is why I was so critical of them earlier), and the fans that have been around for a long time are the ones being taken for a ride.