Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2003, 06:19 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Building a New computer.....any advice or suggestions?

Well I'm not going to be building it, someone will be doing it for me. I'm going to be looking to jump up to about a 3.0Ghz processor. I plan on starting to buy parts in the next month or so. Any suggestions on a motherboard, processor, or any advice in general, like a good place online to get them, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-31-2003 at 06:20 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:22 PM   #2
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Just built a new computer. I ordered all the parts from NewEgg.com and TigerDirect.com. Both worked just fine for me.

The one mistake I made was getting a motherboard and hard drive that were not compatible. I had to get an adapter card after all the parts had arrived.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:27 PM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

Thanks, newegg looks like a good place. I'll check out TierDirect later.

I know this is going to open a can of worms but, should I go AMD or Intel?

I've always had an intel and never had any problems, but I'm tempted to give AMD a try.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:37 PM   #4
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I took the AMD plunge a few years ago and have enjoyed it. Unless you find a tremendous deal on Intel processors, your best bet is to go AMD if you're looking to save money. As for the motherboard, the NForce2 boards are pretty nice. Asus, MSI, and Abit are three quality companies.

Anandtech has a nice price guide of various components (processor, motherboard, video card, etc) located here.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=1939

About how much money are you looking to spend?
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:45 PM   #5
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by the_meanstrosity

About how much money are you looking to spend?

Money isn't really going to be a big issue (within reason). I'm looking to get a good gaming system that I won't be wishing I could upgrade in a year. I'm doing this with the wife's blessing and I may never get it again, so I want to take advantage of it. Basically she doesn't want me shelling out the insane money it costs to get a top of the line tower from Dell, Alienware, or one of the other companies.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-31-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:05 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

Basically, with AMD v Intel, With Intel you'll be paying twice as much for the same performance. The best Intel chips beat the best AMD chips. Intel is basically always a step ahead of AMD. BUT, unless you plan to go and buy the super-ultra Darth Intel chip that costs more than what I have in my checking account as of right now...who cares.

I've been using AMD chips for many years, and I have never had any kind of problems because of it.

For AMD chips, Asus and GigaByte make good motherboards.

(FWIW, I've had an AMD 1800+ chip for awhile, and I still can play all of the newest games with great detail. These days, for graphical detail, the two major factors are video card and RAM.)

Last edited by sabotai : 12-31-2003 at 07:07 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:24 PM   #7
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Herd,

As Sabotai said, I'd go with an AMD processor and nforce2 motherboard so you can save some money for the video card and RAM.

Will you need to purchase a case and fans? You'll also probably want to get a nice heatsink with a fan as well to keep things cool. Will you want to overclock?
Old 12-31-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
hukarez
College Starter

I'm not a real big fan of GeForce video cards and all...but I have to admit - I'm a bit intrigued with this nforce2 architecture. Anyone ever have an ATI video card and nforce2 run fine without any problems? Just curious for when I myself get the ends to upgrade my 3 year old machine.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:31 PM   #9
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by the_meanstrosity
Herd,

As Sabotai said, I'd go with an AMD processor and nforce2 motherboard so you can save some money for the video card and RAM.

Will you need to purchase a case and fans? You'll also probably want to get a nice heatsink with a fan as well to keep things cool. Will you want to overclock?

Got a new video card, so I don't need that, but I'm going to need pretty much everything else though, including RAM since my P4 runs on the stupid RD Ram crap that's so ridiculously expensive its insane. I have a Dell now and I'm trying to disassociate myself with them. I haven't decided on overclocking yet, probably going to depend on how much I decide I trust the person building it.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:32 PM   #10
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by hukarez
I'm not a real big fan of GeForce video cards and all...but I have to admit - I'm a bit intrigued with this nforce2 architecture. Anyone ever have an ATI video card and nforce2 run fine without any problems? Just curious for when I myself get the ends to upgrade my 3 year old machine.

My next question. I'm running a 256MB ATI 9600 XT. Would there be a problem there?
Old 12-31-2003, 07:33 PM   #11
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
My next question. I'm running a 256MB ATI 9600 XT. Would there be a problem there?

That's something I'd like to know myself. An nVidia motherboard, coupled with an ATI video card. A long time ago, someone told me it's better to pair it up with an nVidia GeForce card...but. That was awhile ago. BTW- how much did you get your videocard for, Herd? If you don't mind me asking, that is.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:44 PM   #12
The_herd
College Starter

I got for about $190, I didn't think that was a bad deal. I originally bought a GeForce 5900 ultra for $330 (had power supply problems that can be seen in a thread from a few days ago), but I'm glad I changed because I saved money and a reliable friend told me a card like that would be outdated by the time it was useful.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-31-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:45 PM   #13
hukarez
College Starter

Wow! That seems pretty cheap. You got it online? I'll have to go right ahead and try my hand at ordering parts online. I'm a bit more hesitant about stuff like that...with 'dead on arrival' parts and the like, but I think it's time to give it a shot and all.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:47 PM   #14
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Herd,

I do have one question. Are you going to use an AMD64 processor? It's a 64 bit processor, AMD's newest line. Or will you be using a Barton core or one of the other earlier lines. I believe AMD64's and Barton's are both in the 3000 level.

The nicest processor is the AMD64. But it is pricey. I don't know a lot about it since I haven't looked at the reviews for it.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:48 PM   #15
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Wow! That seems pretty cheap. You got it online? I'll have to go right ahead and try my hand at ordering parts online. I'm a bit more hesitant about stuff like that...with 'dead on arrival' parts and the like, but I think it's time to give it a shot and all.

I also got a coupon for a free copy of Half-Life 2, if its ever released.

I found video cards are much cheaper online, and most places will offer a money back guarantee on most parts. You just have to make sure you read the fine print or send them an e-mail asking before ordering.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:55 PM   #16
The_herd
College Starter

I was looking at the AMD64's a little while ago. I was wondering what people thought of them since I haven't heard anything on them yet.

I did read this about the processor though, and is a concern:

Quote:
the only thing I have to mention though in conclusion is a questionable situation with the Socket754 platforms. Since the CPUs with a dual-channel memory controller cannot be used in this socket, I expect all Socket754 CPUs to be soon moved into the Budget segment. Therefore, you should consider Socket754 as a solution allowing further upgrade only if you realize that this system will not be able to set any performance records later on.

I'm not the most computer savy person, so I really don't know what the hell a Socket754 CPU is. The part that caught my eye was the part about the problem with further upgrades.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-31-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:09 PM   #17
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
I was looking at the AMD64's a little while ago. I was wondering what people thought of them since I haven't heard anything on them yet.

I did read this about the processor though, and is a concern:

I'm not the most computer savy person, so I really don't know what the hell a Socket754 CPU is. The part that caught my eye was the part about the problem with further upgrades.

Hm. I haven't been keeping up to date on hardware as of late...well, especially since I'm out of a job for the time being. Have you given that aforementioned link a glance?

http://www.anandtech.com

There's also another one I refer to:

http://www.tomshardware.com
Old 12-31-2003, 08:42 PM   #18
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
That's something I'd like to know myself. An nVidia motherboard, coupled with an ATI video card.

There will be no problem. The motherboard will only use the onboard video if there is no graphics card plugged in. ATI cards are quite happy to run on an nforce motherboard.

Quote:
I'm not the most computer savy person, so I really don't know what the hell a Socket754 CPU is.

Athlon XP processors use Socket A motherboards.
Athlon 64 processors use Socket 754 motherboards.
Athlon 64 FX processors use Socket 940 motherboards.

I assume that AMD plans on selling an economy processor (Athlon 64) and a premium processor (Athlon 64 FX).
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:49 PM   #19
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Newegg is great, but the andatech "Hot Deals" Forum is a great place to find money saving deals from other vendors.

Andatech forums are very helpful for info (as was here).

This thread from a couple of months ago might help too:

FOFC Building a Computer Thread

Good luck!

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 12-31-2003 at 08:50 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:50 PM   #20
The_herd
College Starter

I was looking at the 1st 3 processors on this page. The question is, is the 64 bit compatible processor worth the price difference?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...codevalue=4954

Last edited by The_herd : 12-31-2003 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:55 PM   #21
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Herd, if it were me...I'd be purchasing an Athlon XP. That's where your best bang for the buck is at the moment. I'm waiting to see how the AMD64 market turns out. They are quality processors, but it's just too early in the game for me to jump in.

I know you wanted 3000, but the AMD Athlon XP2500 or 2600 would be good gets at their current price points.

NForce2 Motherboard: MSI's K7N2D-L or the Asus A7N8X are quality mobo's with onboard NIC and sound. Thus you won't need a sound card or network interface card.

Case: If you need a quality case and aren't looking for aluminum, the Antec SLK3700 BQE is a good one for under $100 online.

Heatsink and Fan: Depends on how "quiet" of a system you want. I personally don't mind paying a bit more for a quieter system. Thermalright makes fantastic heatsinks. They don't come with a fan though, but that's a good thing since you can buy a quality fan. I purchase from www.svc.com when I'm looking for heatsinks or fans. The Thermalright SLK900A is a quality Socket A heatsink. Pair it with a quiet fan and you'll have a nice quiet cooling solution.

I'm probably missing something, but those components are pretty good and would let you play all the newest games.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:12 AM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I have an nForce2 board (from MSI) and an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.

absolutely zero issues with the two of them.

personally, I'd say that if money is not an issue, go with a P4 and an 865 chipset motherboard. The price difference is not as pronounced as it used to be, and there is a performance difference. That being said, price was an issue for me (since I was basically getting an XP 3000+ processor for free), so I went the Athlon/nForce2 route. AMD used to be by far the best bang for the buck...you could save hundreds and get a machine that was as fast. Intel has definitely caught up lately, and now their high-end chips really are quite a bit faster. And the price difference isn't as pronounced either - there's only about a $60 difference between the two highest end 32-bit chips.

this is all setting aside the Athlon 64s and P4 EEs, which I haven't read up enough on yet.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #23
The_herd
College Starter

After reading about all the current processors, the P4 scares me the most because, from what I'm reading, Socket478 stuff is going to be obsolete by the middle of this year, making upgrades a pain in the ass.

Its going to be another month before I actually buy a processor, so I'm going to wait and read more about the Athlon 64s, because I'm reading that they give you the most bang for your buck right now. However, the Athlon FX's are 64 bit compatible, but I don't know whether that justifies the price difference as of now.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:43 PM   #24
The_herd
College Starter

Sent a letter to IGN to get this guys feel for the new Athlon's and it actually got posted in this week's mailbag. Here it is.

Quote:
Under Construction

I'm intrested in building my own computer after a couple of not so great experiences with some of the companies that claim they make easily upgradable computers. My question is, how are the new Athlon64's? I've read some good reviews on them but I'm wondering what you thought of them. Also, should I look at the 64's with 512kb L2 Cache or go with the 1MB l2 cache with 64 bit compatibility? Does the 64 bit compatibility justify shelling out the extra dough (roughly $175)? Thanks for any respone.

Quote:
Both the 512KB cache version and the 1MB cache version have 64-bit compatibility. Right now, there isn't $175 worth of difference, from the benchmarks I've seen, but most of the tests were 32-bit--so I expect the 1MB version to reveal a significant difference when it gets some more 64-bit challenges. Keep in mind you also have to get a new motherboard and a new heatsink, since the Athlon XP boards aren't compatible. As far as heatsinks, I've gotten great results from the Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu, which runs extremely quiet yet keeps the CPU nice and cool, even with the generic thermal grease it came with. Look for "Socket 754" compatibility, since many Athlon 64-ready products are listed as such. This heatsink is also compatible with Athlon XP and Pentium 4 CPUs. Although--it's a huge sink, so it won't fit on a mini-ITX board or, from what I've heard, the ABIT NF7-S.

If you decide you don't want to spring for a 512KB Athlon 64, the XP 2500+ Barton is a great budget-conscious choice. If you go the Intel route, there's the Pentium 4 2.4C, which has hundreds of megahertz of overclocking headroom.

Oh, and don't overlook quality RAM. I wouldn't spend less than $100 per 512MB stick of PC3200 DDR. Kingston, Mushkin and Samsung make quality parts in this price range with 3-3-3 memory timings. "Value Select" is usually 3-4-4. This specification isn't always listed, but Newegg.com, monarchcomputers.com and zipzoomfly.com are pretty good about that, and are great places to buy parts as well. I'd also recommend checking out resellerratings.com before you buy parts from a site you're not familiar with. Some shifty people can lure you in with rock-bottom prices.

Hope that helps!

Tom
Old 01-07-2004, 04:55 PM   #25
primelord
Pro Rookie

If you are looking to save money you should look into buying an Athlon XP 2500+. Stick it on an Abit NF7-S and overclock it to a 3200+ and you will be rolling.

Of course there are no garauntees that it will be able to overclock to a 3200+, but the 2500+ chips are known to be excellent over clockers. So for the money its probably worth the risk.