Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Why does the Bowl schedule suck now?

What the hell happened to New Year's Day Football? Now we have crappy Bowls like the Humanitarian Bowl being played on January 3!?!? Who wants to watch a 6-6 football team play 2 days after the National Chapmpionship is supposed to be settled? I can understand playing 3 BCS games on the 1st and then the Championship on the 2nd, but this crap where we have games on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th kinda kills the bowl feeling for me. New Years Day used to all about college football, now its becoming an afterthought because the BCS title game isn't played until 3 days later. I understand that this is most likely caused by the infinite amount of bowl games played now and the BCS wanting to make sure everyone is happy with their television ratings, but I still feel I have the right to be pissed.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-24-2003 at 06:39 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 06:41 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

I'm with you. I remember when New Years Day was College Football Day. Those days were great.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Easy Mac

don't watch and they'll be frced to switch back.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

I have no problems with the games being spread out a little bit, since theres so many of them, but the big problem is that the games are worthless. Besides the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl, none of the games have any juice to them. No one wants to see Miami-Florida State again. West Virginia already got smoked by Maryland, and they expect us to want to watch that again? There's too many bowls, and none of them mean a thing. They need to go back to the old system and if 1 ends up playing 2, so be it.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I was thinking about this the other day, then I realized that the difference is - since there is no College Football playoff, you have lots of meaningless games (to us) and games that are the reward for a long season of hell for some of these student-athletes.

If there was a playoff in D I-A, then we'd see the top 16 teams or so and the rest wouldn't play at all. But at least that way, you'd have something to shoot for.

Right now, all there is a bowl bid. So I guess that's what's we're stuck with. Well, until someone gets a light bulb going and realizes the money that a playoff could generate.

Sure, the athletes will continue not to graduate. But hey, so long as there are sports to watch, who cares, right?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:22 PM   #6
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

Why don't they have the top 16 teams in the country play in a playoff and have "lesser" bowl games for the teams that dont make the cut and win atleast 7 games or so.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 01:38 AM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

If D1-A had a tournament, I wonder if the #5 team in the polls, who had only lost once, to the #1 team in the nation, would be sent on the road 1st round at the #4 and only undefeated team. Not that UMass got screwed or anything.

Also, anyone catch the exciting 40-0 final a playoff produced? I actually support a playoff, but it's not the be all end all solution.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 01:53 AM   #8
Die Hand die Verletzt
Mascot

College football has brought this on itself.

I will not be satisfied until all major conferences have championship games and conference championships mean something.

Take 5 Major conference champions (after all have won championship games) the 2 highest ranking minor conference champions (also need championship game wins) and 1 non-conference champion at large team (like Oklahoma this year or Nebraska a few years ago and have an 8 team playoff. Start it 2 weeks after the conference championships, let rankings determine seeds. Higher seeds get first round games at home, the remaining games rotate between the big bowls.

The rest of the crappy bowl system can be maintained for teams which did not make the tournament, but still need that extra game.

Also, forgot to add that all teams must cut their regular season schedule down to 10 games, 8 in conference and 2 out of conference.

So teams will want to schedule good teams out of conference, since it won't hurt their national title hopes (that lays in their conference) but helps their team get better by playing tougher opponents.

End of rant.

DHdV <--- Lover of the Florida Gators, SEC football and a man who strives for change in the college football landscape.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:01 AM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cloud

Sure, the athletes will continue not to graduate. But hey, so long as there are sports to watch, who cares, right?

I wanna see them make a rule that you need over 55% team graduation to play. Of course, that';ll make college easier for these atheltes
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:03 AM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No one wants to see Miami-Florida State again.

Hey General, whatcha wanna bet that this game ends up in the top 5 rated of all bowls? Maybe even top 3?

That's 2 of the 3 surest ratings grabbers in college football, wouldn't surprise me in the least (as long as they avoid a blowout) that it puts up a better rating than every game other than the Sugar.

You're forgetting, most bowl viewers aren't hardcore college football fans.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:17 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
I wanna see them make a rule that you need over 55% team graduation to play. Of course, that';ll make college easier for these atheltes

Are you sure that's what you want?

Consider this -- More than 1/3 of the schools (20) playing in bowls this year don't have over a 55% graduation rate for the general student population.

Meanwhile, 11 schools have a higher graduation rate for football players than they have for the general student body.

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/sport/public/downloads/media/ides/release_table_02.pdf
Old 12-25-2003, 05:15 PM   #12
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by General Mike
I have no problems with the games being spread out a little bit, since theres so many of them, but the big problem is that the games are worthless. Besides the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl, none of the games have any juice to them. No one wants to see Miami-Florida State again. West Virginia already got smoked by Maryland, and they expect us to want to watch that again? There's too many bowls, and none of them mean a thing. They need to go back to the old system and if 1 ends up playing 2, so be it.

I more or less agree with you, except I think that there are lots of great matchups, including Iowa Vs. Florida, even TCU Vs. Boise State I thought was a great matchup.

Ya a lot of the bowls suck, but there are a couple interesting ones. Of the BCS bowls, the only good matchups are in the Sugar and the Rose bowl, besides that the BCS games suck
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 05:35 PM   #13
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jon, if every student body member had allt he tutoring available to them that football player received, you'd see it jumped up.

Curious, where are the locations of the bowl teams whose graduation rates are less tehn 55%
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 05:40 PM   #14
FargoFreez aka fof playa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/sport/public/downloads/media/ides/release_table_02.pdf

MrBug, there is plenty of them in the above pdf.

Last edited by FargoFreez aka fof playa : 12-25-2003 at 05:41 PM.
FargoFreez aka fof playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 07:29 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708 Jon, if every student body member had allt he tutoring available to them that football player received, you'd see it jumped up.

To be honest, I don't believe that for a minute. At least, not everywhere.

Ever check graduation rates in Georgia?

Courtesy of the HOPE scholarship, the classrooms are full of "students" who have no chance in hell of graduating nor do they have any intention or expectation of doing so. Talk to freshmen on campus, the ones I've found are quite honest about their only aim being to avoid the workforce for as long as the free ride holds out.

(FTR, I'm talking across the whole university system, not limited to UGA or GT)

Quote:
Curious, where are the locations of the bowl teams whose graduation rates are less tehn 55%

As Fargo/playa mentioned, the complete list is in the linked .pdf.