Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2003, 12:13 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Why the hell is only one football game on?

I'm living in Texas now and there is only one game on right now, and its Houston-KC. Is this the only way they can get the Texans ratings? NASCAR, womens soccer, and Dharma and Greg on the other channels. What the hell? When I lived in Germany there were 3 games on at a time. Texas should be ashamed of itself.

The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
vtbub
College Starter

Guess that you get two three o'clock games.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 12:21 PM   #3
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

there's also only one game in the Northeast, it's "One fine day" on Fox...

FM
Old 09-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
vtbub
College Starter

Giants-'Skins at 4 ET/3 CT

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Its not the station its the NFL... they have specific rules given to the networks on when and how many games a network can broadcast if your "home market" football team has a home game. My understanding was that it was always in order to increase ticket sales.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
RendeR
Coordinator

Each weekend one network gets to show a doubleheader, morning and afternoon games. while the other only gets one game. They then choose wether to show a 1pm game or a 4 pm game (EST)

When I watched games as a kid there were 2 games on at 1pm and 2 games at 4pm every sunday, once ESPN started showing the late sunday game the NFL saw a drop if viewership. I think they took today's policy on to help boost the ratings by cutting back on one game a weekend.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
G-Man
High School JV

yeah we only get one game in the am and one in the afternoon out here in the Pacific NW When I was younger and lived in Virginia, Maryland, Georgia and Florida we got two games in the early and two late games. The NFL is foolish not to televise more of their product like baseball and NCAA Football. In the end this will only hurt the sport, as it has with the Seahawks and the foolish blackout rule when not sold out by Thursday! So ridiculous.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
FBPro
College Starter

Sunday Ticket
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:43 PM   #9
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by FBPro
Sunday Ticket

That's the only way you got to see a football game at 1PM in Atlanta today.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:49 PM   #10
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg

Bummer, but wan't much worth seeing.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:53 PM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Same rant, new time.

Ugh...they are showing the Niners-Browns as the only afternoon game here in SoCal. Why are they showing this stupid game? Most people here can't stand the Niners.

Meanwhile, former LA team the Rams are in a critical game up north...and I am watching the frigging Niners-Browns game.

And it ain't a home team thing, because we don't have one. It's just NFL & Networks stupifity.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:13 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

In Dallas when the Cowboys are playing that's the only game on. I'm pretty sure it's an NFL rule or something. I'm kinda upset because the only game on right now is the Niners-Browns game. I would much rather watch an important NFC East game such as the Giants-Skins game....

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #13
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
And it ain't a home team thing, because we don't have one. It's just NFL & Networks stupifity.

CR

Actually you have your local CBS affiliate to blame for that; they have the final say on which game is aired in your market.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:54 PM   #14
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Same rant, new time.

Ugh...they are showing the Niners-Browns as the only afternoon game here in SoCal. Why are they showing this stupid game? Most people here can't stand the Niners.

Meanwhile, former LA team the Rams are in a critical game up north...and I am watching the frigging Niners-Browns game.

CR

The local affiliate gets to select the game they show.

However in this case because Cleveland is the road team it makes that a CBS game. CBS had the doubleheader, so the only games the affilate could have selected between were the 49ers/Browns or Chargers/Baltimore.

Your local Fox station could have shown you the Seattle/St. Louis game at 4, but then you wouldn't have gotten a 1 o'clock game. I didn't get 1:00 on fox because I got the Giants at 4, but I'm guessing that Atlanta/Tampa Bay was the Fox National game at 1:00.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 06:02 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I figured CBS had a lot to do with it. That's why I have the "& Networks" in my post.

As to why they give priority in interconference (and thusly, inter-network) games to the road team, I couldn't tell you.

It makes much more sense to me that if one network chooses not to show a game in an area where the other one has a claim to it, than the seond network should have the option of showing that game.

I realize that's not how the contracts are set up. I'm just saying that's the way it should be. It behooves the networks to show the best games for the region they are broadcasting to that they can. These are ridiculous rules leave us with a poorer SUnday show as a result.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #16
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by RendeR
Each weekend one network gets to show a doubleheader, morning and afternoon games. while the other only gets one game. They then choose wether to show a 1pm game or a 4 pm game (EST)

When I watched games as a kid there were 2 games on at 1pm and 2 games at 4pm every sunday, once ESPN started showing the late sunday game the NFL saw a drop if viewership. I think they took today's policy on to help boost the ratings by cutting back on one game a weekend.

I think that depends on whether you are in a market of a team or not. Before I moved here to Ypsi in the Lions market, I was in Charleston, WV, which isn't in any market. Here in D-town, I get three games per week. In C-town, we always had the four.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-21-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 06:29 PM   #17
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, I figured CBS had a lot to do with it. That's why I have the "& Networks" in my post.

As to why they give priority in interconference (and thusly, inter-network) games to the road team, I couldn't tell you.

It makes much more sense to me that if one network chooses not to show a game in an area where the other one has a claim to it, than the seond network should have the option of showing that game.

I realize that's not how the contracts are set up. I'm just saying that's the way it should be. It behooves the networks to show the best games for the region they are broadcasting to that they can. These are ridiculous rules leave us with a poorer SUnday show as a result.

CR

The only way to put a 'true value' on a contract is to know exactly what markets and teams you are going to have. That is why the games are defined the way they are. Fox and CBS pay different amounts for their packages because the NFC is worth more.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 06:57 PM   #18
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by FBPro
Sunday Ticket

exactly
Old 09-21-2003, 07:09 PM   #19
bigjdotcom01
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Cringer
exactly

I must say.....after three seasons of The Ticket, I could not imagine not having it anymore.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:10 PM   #20
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg

?

I watched the Falcons get their collective asses handed to them...

...or was the girl's rugby? Couldn't tell.

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:09 PM   #21
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

I imagine that the road team determines the network because it gives both networks a chance to televise from all NFL cities. For instance, CBS got to visit San Francisco, since the Browns were there. If the home team determined the network, CBS would never televise games from San Francisco or any other NFC city.

That said, there is no such thing as an "inter-network" game. All Sunday afternoon games with AFC road teams belong to CBS. Of course, same rules apply with NFC road teams and Fox.

I know your gripe was about the Rams game not airing in your area, and I understand that. Unfortunately, I believe that the fault belongs to the Fox network on that (I know the local affiliates used to choose which games to air, but I don't think the national network decides which games to air in each market now).

I really don't have a preference either way on the entire issue. I guess I just want to get the facts out there for those who don't know them.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:21 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I know there's no such thing as an "inter-network" game. I was just coming up with a term for an interconference game that, in the ideal world I painted (which I also acknowledged didn't exist), would possibly be claimed by either network, with the preference of one over the other clearly delineated.

That's why I said I know that's not how the contracts work. I was just suggesting how they should work.

CR

Old 09-21-2003, 09:45 PM   #23
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Sorry, my mistake. I wasn't sure if I had inferred correctly, and I obviously didn't. I understand exactly what you were saying now.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:23 AM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Pumpy Tudors

That said, there is no such thing as an "inter-network" game. All Sunday afternoon games with AFC road teams belong to CBS. Of course, same rules apply with NFC road teams and Fox.

I've seen two posts basically state this same thing, and I don't think it's exactly right. The venue of interconference matchups doesn't determine who has the game - IIRC, the Eagles/Patriots game in week 2 was carried on CBS, even though it was in Philly. I recall seeing somewhere that interconference games are "bid" on by Fox and CBS before the season to determine which has the right to televise the game.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:30 AM   #25
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola -

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/primeschedule/2003.html

Week 4
Sunday, Sept. 28
Dallas at New York Jets, 4:15 p.m. (FOX)

Week 8
Sunday, Oct. 26
New York Jets at Philadelphia, 4:15 p.m. (CBS)

Week 12
Sunday, Nov. 23
Tennessee at Atlanta, 4:15 p.m. (CBS)

Week 15
Sunday, Dec. 14
Green Bay at San Diego, 4:15 p.m. (FOX)

Week 16
Saturday, Dec. 20
Kansas City at Minnesota, 5 p.m. (CBS)
Old 09-22-2003, 07:40 AM   #26
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
I've seen two posts basically state this same thing, and I don't think it's exactly right. The venue of interconference matchups doesn't determine who has the game - IIRC, the Eagles/Patriots game in week 2 was carried on CBS, even though it was in Philly. I recall seeing somewhere that interconference games are "bid" on by Fox and CBS before the season to determine which has the right to televise the game.

I think you actually proved Pumpy was correct

He said what I believe is true as well. Its the road team's network that gets game in inter-conference matchups. NFC team at AFC is on Fox. AFC team at NFC is on CBS.. All your schedules and examples showed the same (ie Pats at Eagles was on CBS)
Old 09-22-2003, 07:46 AM   #27
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan T

He said what I believe is true as well. Its the road team's network that gets game in inter-conference matchups. NFC team at AFC is on Fox. AFC team at NFC is on CBS.. All your schedules and examples showed the same (ie Pats at Eagles was on CBS)

This is the correct answer.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:03 AM   #28
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan T

Whoops! I read that as him saying the home team determines the network (must have been clouded by the other post). My apologies, Pumpy! I wonder how long it's been like that, I could have sworn it was different in past seasons, or maybe I'm just imagining things.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:08 AM   #29
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I cant remember for the life of me what it was like when it was CBS and NBC doing the games or NBC and FOX.. but I believe its been like this for quite a while now..

Old 09-22-2003, 08:18 AM   #30
Thomkal
Head Coach

You people need to move to South Carolina. We have two Fox affiliates that we get here in the Myrtle Beach area, and two CBS ones. Today one Fox affiliate showed a game at 1pm, the other at 4pm. CBS often shows two different games on their affiliates down here too.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:23 AM   #31
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Celeval
?

I watched the Falcons get their collective asses handed to them...

...or was the girl's rugby? Couldn't tell.

Kevin

You missunderstand me. I supposed football game was on, but since only one team showed up...
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote