Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

Clarett pulled from practice...

Is this guy really worth keeping on the team?

I know this has been discussed at length on this board, but at some point Tressel needs to ask himself that question.

I'm also wondering if this means the suspension will be more than the previously reported 6 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1607614

Last edited by The_herd : 09-02-2003 at 06:35 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:08 PM   #2
tucker342
Pro Starter

Sorry to say it, but if OSU wants to repeat, they need him on the team....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

Re: Clarett pulled from practice...

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
Is this guy really worth keeping on the team?

I know this has been discussed at length on this board, but at some point Tressel needs to ask himself that question.

I'm also wondering if this means the suspension will be more than the previously reported 6 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1607614

from what i read, he didn't do anything wrong, they just decided it would be best if he didn't practice
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:36 PM   #4
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Re: Clarett pulled from practice...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
from what i read, he didn't do anything wrong, they just decided it would be best if he didn't practice

If you read the article, it sounds like he misled NCAA investigators when questioned, which is a big deal - there's a strong likelihood of him receiving a significant suspension from the NCAA. Whatever you may feel about the NCAA, you don't f-around when they question you - doing so makes you subject to significant penalties.

Last edited by dawgfan : 09-02-2003 at 07:37 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:49 PM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

From what I heard, it sounds as though the coach has heard something that makes him think that the suspension will be much longer than he originally believed. There is more to it than that in my opinion. Why couldn't he practice even if it were a long suspension? Doesn't practice a least help him develop while he waits? Won't it help the team to work against such a good back in practice?

Sounds more like he wants to keep him from the team. That or he has done something else to tick the coach off.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:50 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

According to Keith Jackson during the game, the six game suspension is just a rumor. Clarett is beingheld out until the investigation is complete. That could mean 1 game or 6, but the original plan was to put himback in as soon as the investigation is over.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:23 PM   #7
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
Sorry to say it, but if OSU wants to repeat, they need him on the team....

They most likely do need him to repeat, however, at what expense? Do you pull a Nebraska or a Miami (think early and mid 90's) and sacrafice any respect you have as a program to put a great team on the field? Is he really that good? Ohio State has cranked out 1,300 yard rushers just about every year it seems.

If it comes out that he did lie to the NCAA and that he did and was shown special preference on his exam, why keep him? Has anyone else noticed the pattern of behavior from him over the past 8-10 months? Do you think it stops here? He isn't worth it. He has put himself above the team and the school since he got there.

He wants to play in the pro's, Tressel should give him a push out the door.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:46 PM   #8
The_herd
College Starter

Dola

In yet another update on the situation, the OSU AD says he is doubtful Clarett will play at all this season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/ncaa/09/02/bc.fbc.ohiost.clarett.ap/index.html
Old 09-02-2003, 09:55 PM   #9
sianews
Mascot

They lose 2 or 3 without him - undefeated with him. Simple as that.

Lydell Ross is lucky if he can make it from home to the stadium without getting injured, and Maurice Hall just isn't talented - even with the entire OL returning.

Pure luck got Krenzel through last season, by being forced to thrown more this year, many, many faults will emerge and the fans will be calling for Zwick to start by game 7 (following the blowout Wisconisn will deal OSU in week 6 )

Last edited by sianews : 09-02-2003 at 09:56 PM.
sianews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:18 PM   #10
GrantDawg

ESPN reporting that he will not play this year. The AD has notified the family as such. I had a feeling that this was coming down one way or another. What will he do? Go for the NFL? Transfer out? Canada?
Old 09-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #11
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
ESPN reporting that he will not play this year. The AD has notified the family as such. I had a feeling that this was coming down one way or another. What will he do? Go for the NFL? Transfer out? Canada?

Challenge the NFL rule, if that fails, he goes to the CFL for a season.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:57 AM   #12
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

More from the Cleveland Plain Dealer today: http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1062581462203750.xml

This is just a snippet, but contains the bulk of new information. It appears he did lie to investigators. But now it also appears he violated some team rules and did some other questionable things just this weekend, which may have led to Coach Tressel taking him off the practice squad.

"We put great stock, and so does the NCAA, in forthrightness and straightforward answers to questions that are bathed in truth," Geiger said. "We have yet to get there, and that's distressing."

Geiger said the investigation into Clarett's use of a luxury car "might have been over in July" if Clarett had not refused to answer some questions and not been truthful about others posed by both the NCAA and OSU.

That behavior put Clarett in deeper jeopardy with the NCAA, which requires full compliance in accordance with its ethical conduct standards.

Failure to comply only deepens the penalty for whatever violations have been committed.

Asked whether Clarett and his attorney gave misleading or false answers, Geiger said, "I don't know that you need to include the attorney."

In announcing Clarett's reinstatement to practice on Aug. 22, Geiger estimated it would take OSU "a few days" to recommend to the NCAA a specific number of games for Clarett to miss as adequate punishment.

The university now hopes to make that recommendation tomorrow, Geiger said.

He said it has been delayed in doing so by new issues that arose from Clarett's failure to be truthful with the school.

"I think we have a ways to go on the concept of [Clarett] understanding the seriousness of it and the scope of it," Geiger said. "I don't think we're there yet."

Geiger acknowledged that he and Tressel were both disturbed by Clarett's behavior over the weekend, when OSU opened its season with a 28-9 victory over Washington.

Sources inside the program said Clarett committed three significant missteps:

He drove his own vehicle to Ohio Stadium and parked near the players' entrance - a contradiction of Tressel's insistence that all players ride the team bus.

Clarett attempted to wear his game jersey onto the field and argued with OSU staff members when informed he could not.

Clarett signed autographs for fans and conducted television interviews on "ESPN GameDay" and on a Columbus station prior to kickoff.

Senior tight end Ben Hartsock said Clarett's behavior was the subject of a meeting between Tressel and the team's senior players.

"It's unfortunate when some personal things have to come in and they start to affect the whole," Hartsock said. "There's a point where being patient with an individual starts to become detrimental to the team."

Geiger said Clarett still desperately wants to be part of the Buckeyes, but hasn't grasped the importance of being truthful with investigators to make that happen.

"His situation right now is he puts a very high importance on his being a part of the program and less-high importance on the details of how he's going to get there," Geiger said.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:14 AM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Challenge the NFL rule, if that fails, he goes to the CFL for a season.
According to everything I have ever read, the NFL's rule has almost no chance to survive a serious challenge. Entry rules in other sports are collectively bargained, and thus much safer. It has not been challenged in part because the NFL has infinite resources to defend the rule compared to a college sophomore.

My guess here is that Clarett never plays another down of college football, the NFL grants him a one-time waiver for the draft, and then gets the three year rule into the CBA. This depends on whether he would be able to play at another I-A institution next season. Since he did not play a game for OSU, normally he could transfer and play somewhere else next year, but I have read conflicting reports on whether or not this season being a suspension would change that.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:31 AM   #14
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
According to everything I have ever read, the NFL's rule has almost no chance to survive a serious challenge. Entry rules in other sports are collectively bargained, and thus much safer. It has not been challenged in part because the NFL has infinite resources to defend the rule compared to a college sophomore.

My guess here is that Clarett never plays another down of college football, the NFL grants him a one-time waiver for the draft, and then gets the three year rule into the CBA. This depends on whether he would be able to play at another I-A institution next season. Since he did not play a game for OSU, normally he could transfer and play somewhere else next year, but I have read conflicting reports on whether or not this season being a suspension would change that.

The NFL will not give him a one-time waiver. They have said they will fight anyone who tries to enter early. I think that he could win the suit, but the NFL banks on the fact they can draw out the process long enough that even if he wins, it will be too late to enter the draft. It seems to me the courts would see that and expedite the process, but I'm no lawyer.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:59 AM   #15
RendeR
Coordinator

You're all assuming that he simply doesn't drop all claims to college eligibility and step up to someone's front office offering himself as a free agent. How many players in the NFL wether they played college or not simply flooded the league with videos and got a shot?

I'm not sure many teams could or would turn him away, no matter how raw a talent he is.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:12 AM   #16
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by RendeR
You're all assuming that he simply doesn't drop all claims to college eligibility and step up to someone's front office offering himself as a free agent. How many players in the NFL wether they played college or not simply flooded the league with videos and got a shot?

I'm not sure many teams could or would turn him away, no matter how raw a talent he is.

Uhh, NFL rules prevent this. He can't be a free agent until he is eligible for a draft.

GrantDawg, I think the NFL's statement that it will fight all attempts to challenge the rule is posturing intended to discourage someone from challenging it. They have to do that. But, they really don't ever want to go to trial on the issue. Don't forget the rule before Barry Sanders was four years. He announced that he wanted to challenge it, and was magically allowed in the draft - and the rule was changed to three years.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:14 AM   #17
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sianews
Pure luck got Krenzel through last season, by being forced to thrown more this year, many, many faults will emerge and the fans will be calling for Zwick to start by game 7 (following the blowout Wisconisn will deal OSU in week 6 )

Did you see any of the Wisconsin-West Va. game? Wisconsin blowing out OSU? Laughable. They could beat Ohio St., but it'd be one of those 14-10 or 17-14 deals. UW's team will be lucky to move the ball much, if at all, on OSU's D.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:29 AM   #18
Bee
Pro Starter

I don't think the NFL will give him a waiver. It would destroy the current system which actually works very well for all involved IMO. They don't want to become a football version of the NBA. They can drag out a lawsuit to the point where there will still be no decision when Clarett is eligible under the current rules. Unless Clarett is just someone who thinks the rule is wrong and not just wrong in his case, I don't see him getting anywhere with that. Canada is a possibililty, but I think the risk of injury might keep him from going that route. My guess is if he can't play football this year, he'll just sit out and work with trainers supplied by his agents to stay in shape and then go to the combine and enter the draft when he is allowed under the current rule.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:43 AM   #19
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I don't think the NFL will give him a waiver. It would destroy the current system which actually works very well for all involved IMO. They don't want to become a football version of the NBA. They can drag out a lawsuit to the point where there will still be no decision when Clarett is eligible under the current rules. Unless Clarett is just someone who thinks the rule is wrong and not just wrong in his case, I don't see him getting anywhere with that. Canada is a possibililty, but I think the risk of injury might keep him from going that route. My guess is if he can't play football this year, he'll just sit out and work with trainers supplied by his agents to stay in shape and then go to the combine and enter the draft when he is allowed under the current rule.

That may be, but not likely. He will not be eligible till a year after this draft. That means sitting out two seasons. I don't think many teams will spend a first rounder on a guy that has sat for that long. He will play next year at least, but probably not for OSU. Canada is about his only option for playing sooner, and I don't know if he'll be willing to go that route.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:47 AM   #20
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
He will play next year at least, but probably not for OSU. Canada is about his only option for playing sooner, and I don't know if he'll be willing to go that route.

Actually, he could transfer to a small school and not have to wait a year. But if he wants to play big time college football somewhere else, he might as well just wait and go pro unless he announces a transfer sometime within the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:00 AM   #21
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
That means sitting out two seasons. I don't think many teams will spend a first rounder on a guy that has sat for that long.

Considering he's a tailback and if he stays in football shape and shows that in the combine, he'd definitely be a first rounder even after sitting out 2 seasons. He wouldn't be a top 5 pick like if he stays in school, but he'd go mid to late 1st IMO. I think it's been shown it's not hard for a RB to kick off the rust.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:11 AM   #22
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Considering he's a tailback and if he stays in football shape and shows that in the combine, he'd definitely be a first rounder even after sitting out 2 seasons. He wouldn't be a top 5 pick like if he stays in school, but he'd go mid to late 1st IMO. I think it's been shown it's not hard for a RB to kick off the rust.

Lawerence Phillips played an still fell into the the mid/late first round because of between the ears problems. Clarett would have between the ears problems and not play in two years? Early second round. I don't think our theories matter, because he will play somewhere next year.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:18 AM   #23
Bee
Pro Starter

And McGahee was a first rounder despite having a knee reconstructed and everyone knowing he'd be out for more than a year.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:28 AM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
That may be, but not likely. He will not be eligible till a year after this draft. That means sitting out two seasons. I don't think many teams will spend a first rounder on a guy that has sat for that long.

Drew Henson?
Old 09-03-2003, 09:33 AM   #25
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Drew Henson?

Will not get a first rounder either. Yet, he is in a better position than Clarett because good QB are much harder to find.

Truthfully, as good as he MAY be, I wouldn't give up anything higher than a third rounder for a gamble on him.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:35 AM   #26
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
And McGahee was a first rounder despite having a knee reconstructed and everyone knowing he'd be out for more than a year.

But not two with the baggage of being selfish and getting in a lot of trouble.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:37 AM   #27
Bee
Pro Starter

I think the difference with Henson is with him being a QB, the rustiness is harder to throw off. It's more of a "football skill" position instead of "physical skill position" like RB. It's harder to come back after being off a year or two and play at a high level at QB than at RB. Although if Henson can come in and really impress scouts with his arm strength and his mechanics, someone might be willing to take a chance with a late first rounder. People were saying no one would give more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder for McGahee before the draft...who knows.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:43 AM   #28
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I think the difference with Henson is with him being a QB, the rustiness is harder to throw off. It's more of a "football skill" position instead of "physical skill position" like RB. It's harder to come back after being off a year or two and play at a high level at QB than at RB. Although if Henson can come in and really impress scouts with his arm strength and his mechanics, someone might be willing to take a chance with a late first rounder. People were saying no one would give more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder for McGahee before the draft...who knows.

Well, I'm probably wrong, but as much as I like the way Clarett runs, I know personally there is no way I'm giving a first rounder for him if he sits for two years and comes in with only one year of college experience. And he wasn't very durable at that.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:46 AM   #29
GrantDawg

And...again this is all a mute point, because he will play somewhere next year. He wants top of the draft money, and he needs to play to get it.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:46 AM   #30
Bee
Pro Starter

In any case, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'd hate to see the NFL rule struck down because I think it works well now (even if it's not "legal"). I hope they work things out so he can play at OSU or transfer to another school.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:48 AM   #31
GrantDawg

Personally, I would like to see a minor-league football system, but I digress...
Old 09-03-2003, 10:38 AM   #32
sturmie
Mascot

from the reports i've heard, henson's done w/ baseball after this season and, since the Texans(?) drafted him in one of the late rounds this past April, i believe they have the rights to him. if it pans out, could be a great move by their front office...they could get nice return on a late round investment.

as for OSU, i am a huge fan (and alumni), but also a realist. w/o clarett, we will stuggle--and lose a few games (i predict 2...wisconsin and purdue...i think/hope we'll play spoiler up in ann arbor). ross and hall are decent, but clarett just brings the team to another level, which is why i have us finishing #9 at the end of the season--i figured it wasn't just going to be ~3 games.

it's really a shame...all clarett had to do was keep his mouth shut, play football, (possibly) win a heisman or 2 and then go pro. his off field distractions shouldn't detract interest from pro teams b/c his problems are college related...however, i could see how pro teams wouldn't want someone that attracts any off field attention.

sturmie
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 10:38 AM   #33
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee

But there are many (myself included) who think the Bills made a mistake with that pick.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 10:46 AM   #34
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
In any case, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'd hate to see the NFL rule struck down because I think it works well now (even if it's not "legal").

You see I think you are looking at whole one-time waiver in the wrong light. The NFL, by granting such a waiver, would not be destroying the current system, but attempting to preserve it. Letting Clarett do this because of his current 'extreme circumstances' would allow them to keep the three year rule in place, whereas a court challenge might strike down the rule altogether.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #35
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
But there are many (myself included) who think the Bills made a mistake with that pick.

I'm not saying it was a good pick, only that it's pretty common for teams to take a chance with a late 1st rounder on a RB who has a lot of potential but with other issues (injury, off the field problems, or lack of playing time).
Old 09-03-2003, 11:08 AM   #36
PilotMan
Head Coach

Even if you take players like Saap, he fell a number of positions because of off field problems, and it cost him a lot of money. I think I really smell another Lawrence Phillips coming on here.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:11 AM   #37
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by PilotMan
Even if you take players like Saap, he fell a number of positions because of off field problems, and it cost him a lot of money. I think I really smell another Lawrence Phillips coming on here.

Right now Clarett is almost making Phillips look like a mature responsible adult.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:13 AM   #38
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Exclamation

Ya know that team Ohio State is playing in the championship? That Miami team? They have no chance against them! I mean, Miami is on an insane winning streak and Ohio State was just lucky to get through their season undefeated. It'll be a cold day in hell before Ohio State stays within even three TD's of Miami. Oh wait, who won that game?

Ohio State has heard this shit and gotten no respect for the last 1+ years. We're defending champs returning like 75% of our starters and we're not even #1 in the polls! This after beating a #19 team handily. Who the hell did Oklahoma beat anyway? Scrub X in a rout. La-de-da. They get a cookie.

Krenzel isn't a lucky QB, he's just quite conservative. He's "lucky" because he doesn't make stupid throws (cough...Bellisari...cough). His rushing TD's vs Washington were amazing. If he can connect on more of the deep passes (he was real close in several long attempts vs Washington), then OSU will be set. That is if Ross/Hall combine for 130+ yds rushing per game. No way we get blown out by any team this year. The Wisconsin game does worry me, but we have a week off to prepare for that game. Especially since it's our first road game, that will help a lot.

Ohio State didn't win the title last year, they won't win the title this year, and they will never win the title again.

Wait, who won the title last year?...

Yeah, we won with Clarett in there and a great defense. But we're not playing anybody near as good as Miami this year (until the bowl game of course). By then hopefully our current defense will evolve into a defense better than last year and our spread formations results in big gains.

It's Ohio State's championship to lose, and they haven't lost yet. Give them some damn credit...geez. They've certainly earned it by now.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:36 AM   #39
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Right now Clarett is almost making Phillips look like a mature responsible adult.

I don't think Clarett has beaten anyone....

yet.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:44 AM   #40
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
You see I think you are looking at whole one-time waiver in the wrong light. The NFL, by granting such a waiver, would not be destroying the current system, but attempting to preserve it. Letting Clarett do this because of his current 'extreme circumstances' would allow them to keep the three year rule in place, whereas a court challenge might strike down the rule altogether.

The NFL, by granting a waiver, would lose a legal precedent (from what I understand). They already stand no chance of winning a challenge, but if they allow one to enter early they will lose even the ability to draw out the fight.

The NFL has already said there would be no exceptions.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:51 AM   #41
The_herd
College Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
I don't think Clarett has beaten anyone....

yet.

But he has lied to the NCAA, broken team rules, said things in interviews that he later claimed he never said, yelled at a coach on the sideline, walked out on an exam, lied to the police, ignored coaches instructions, blamed the university for his failure to fill out paperwork, and has essentially taunted Ohio State with his curiosity in challenging the NFL underclassman rule.

So I don't know where beating someone is on his list of things to do before becoming a posterchild for talent gone wrong, but it must be getting near the top.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:03 PM   #42
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
But he has lied to the NCAA, broken team rules, said things in interviews that he later claimed he never said, yelled at a coach on the sideline, walked out on an exam, lied to the police, ignored coaches instructions, blamed the university for his failure to fill out paperwork, and has essentially taunted Ohio State with his curiosity in challenging the NFL underclassman rule.

So I don't know where beating someone is on his list of things to do before becoming a posterchild for talent gone wrong, but it must be getting near the top.

Not to defend Clarett, but most of what you list isn't a crime like the things that Philips did. Clarett is without a doubt very immature and needs to grow up, but at this point I don't think anything has come out that indicates he's been in anywhere near the amount of trouble as Philips. Lying and getting extra benefits just doesn't seem to really stack up to beating up your girlfriend and threatening to kill her IMO.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:14 PM   #43
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Not to defend Clarett, but most of what you list isn't a crime like the things that Philips did. Clarett is without a doubt very immature and needs to grow up, but at this point I don't think anything has come out that indicates he's been in anywhere near the amount of trouble as Philips. Lying and getting extra benefits just doesn't seem to really stack up to beating up your girlfriend and threatening to kill her IMO.

I agree, he's not quite in the girl-friend beater category. But he is no angel and really has no business playing at Ohio State.
I hadn't realized how bad his behavior was until I watched sportscenter last night and read the article posted above, I'm hoping not being able to play football this season gives him a chance to grow up.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:18 PM   #44
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee

The NCAA enforces NCAA rules. They do not, and should not, enforce criminal statutes. Lawrence Phillips should have been punished by the legal system more harshly, but the NCAA policing criminal matters is just a terrible idea. As poorly as they handle almost everything, I do not want them responsible for that. I hate sounding like I am sticking up for the NCAA, but I hate the thought of them prosecuting crimes even more.

Isn't insurance fraud a crime in Ohio?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:18 PM   #45
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee

They aren't completely apples and oranges. Though he doesn't have the violent streak that Phillips has, he does show the same "I'll never get in trouble and if I do it is some else’s fault" attitude. The kid really thought he could just go to the NCAA and lie to them and just because he can carry the rock, nothing was going to happen to him. Now that he is seeing that didn't work do you think he is going to take blame and be mature about it? Nope. He is going to blame the university and the NCAA for "misleading" him. He is proving to be a guy who demands respect from everyone while showing respect for no one.

I hope I'm wrong and maybe he straightens out. I love to watch him play. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:34 PM   #46
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Just a question, wasn't Phillips drafted by Rams 6th overall? Or was that another Nebraska back?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:37 PM   #47
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
Just a question, wasn't Phillips drafted by Rams 6th overall? Or was that another Nebraska back?

Yup. Worked out real well for them, too. (was it 6th? I thought it was a little lower).
Old 09-03-2003, 12:44 PM   #48
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I am fairly sure it was 6 or 7, but lots of first rounders don't work out. It had nothing to do with him beating his g/f. You can beat your sig other and still be good. Warren Moon, Jason Kidd are just a couple and I am sure there are many others. Some players just never adjust to the speed of the pro game.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:52 PM   #49
sturmie
Mascot

Quote:
nope, ur right--that was Phillips...taken before Heisman winner Eddie George i believe.

i think a lot of pro teams would have taken a chance on Clarett if players like Phillips panned out (Randy Moss, although troubled off the field, is at least a star on it 90% of the time and most teams can look past his problems when he produces), but since so many players haven't panned out, i don't see a pro team taking Clarett (if he doesn't play another college game) before the late 2nd or early 3rd round.

sturmie
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 12:56 PM   #50
GrantDawg

Quote:
I am fairly sure it was 6 or 7, but lots of first rounders don't work out. It had nothing to do with him beating his g/f. You can beat your sig other and still be good. Warren Moon, Jason Kidd are just a couple and I am sure there are many others. Some players just never adjust to the speed of the pro game.

Nope, but it was among many things he did that showed he wasn't mature enough to handle the NFL. It wasn't the "speed of the game," it was the complete lack of mental maturity that caused Phillips problems (and has everywhere else he has went). Clarett is showing the same character.