Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Alright Boyz, here we go! NHL 10 impressions!!!

Be a GM mode:

Be a GM in NHL 10 Walk Through | EA SPORTS

Very cool!

Screenies: IGN: NHL 10 Screenshots, Wallpapers and Pics

NHL 10, five things to know: 'NHL 10': Five Things to Know - Video Games - ESPN

NHL 10 game play refinements: http://insideblog.easports.com/archi...finements.aspx

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-15-2009 at 09:32 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

That game looks great!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
bhlloy
Coordinator

I am completely stoked about this game. 09 was great and they really seem to be focusing on the areas that it was lacking in (physical play, slowing the gameplay down and presentation)

The idea that you actually NEED some toughness on the ice otherwise the other team can start to go after your skill players is absolutely freaking awesome. And that physical play and forechecking actually matters to the momentum of the game...

It's EA so anything could happen, but I'm definitely counting down the days to this release.

EDIT - I just saw this in the article posted, which is also complete freaking awesomeness. Playing as a forward in 09 this was the one thing which pissed me off the most (the number of cross checking penalties I got which this will eliminate...)

With better goalies, the play in the slot was a huge area of emphasis for us. I wanted the ability to one-time loose pucks, especially on rebounds without throwing a check

Last edited by bhlloy : 07-25-2009 at 08:26 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yes.. I've already paid for this one in full.. can't wait until September!!!

I've watched videos and the board play flows seamlessly when it happens.. everything really looks great.

Be a GM mode looks great too.. cheating (signing players, then trading them, etc.. actually affects your GM rating - making it worse.. very cool..)

I always give 2k a chance, but EA just keeps making their hockey series better and better each year.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm torn on whether to get this or FIFA. I'm not huge fans of either sport but do enjoy playing them as video games. Don't really have the time to engulf myself into both games so going to focus on one. Was leaning toward FIFA but may go with NHL after this hype. I can then get the World Cup game next year if it has full qualifying and all the FIFA nations.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
samifan24
Pro Starter

NHL 09 was simply the best hockey video game I've ever played. NHL 10 is a must buy on day one for me.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I haven't bought a EA hockey game in about a decade, but I think that will be changing this year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBBF
I can't believe people still even consider EA sports games. I read a Bill Harris article that mentioned no less than 382 critical errors he encountered with the game. Just go to the operationsports forums to see the rapidly evolving disaster this game is becoming.

Beat him to the punch.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 07-25-2009 at 10:22 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Beat him to the punch.

Have you played NHL 09? It really is a great game. EA had some terrible, terrible years but lately NHL and FIFA (only two I've played) have been very good.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Have you played NHL 09? It really is a great game. EA had some terrible, terrible years but lately NHL and FIFA (only two I've played) have been very good.

Oh yeah, I've played NHL 09, as well as most of the other EA Sports lineup. I was just playing the part of the minstrel in this situation.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh yeah, I've played NHL 09, as well as most of the other EA Sports lineup. I was just playing the part of the minstrel in this situation.

Funny thing is I refused to play EA games for several years after being burned by them. When I finally played NHL 08 and FIFA 08 I was stunned.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #12
Icy
Pro Starter

NHL09 was the most played game in 09 for me. I played as defenseman in over 900 games in the EASHL (the Be a Pro Online league) in several division 1 teams and it was a blast.

Can't wait for NHL10!

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:27 AM   #13
Balldog
Pro Rookie

This will be the first year I've bought an NHL game since the late 90s!
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Please, let the backup goalies automatically sub in on certain days so that we don't have to do it manually. Also, please let goalies get injured DURING gameplay and not just while simming.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Agreed. I don't know what cartman is talking about. NHL 09 was a very good game and there's nothing to indicate that NHL 10 will be any different. Same with FIFA.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Well played, even if it seems I was the only one who got the joke.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think cartman was being a knucklehead..

The NHL series (haven't played FIFA) has been their best the past few years.. they even support their product well with patches that actually fix things.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-26-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The NHL series (haven't played FIFA) has been their best the past few years.. they even support their product well with patches that actually fix things.

I thought NHL 08 and NHL 2K8 were on par with each other, but I think NHL 09 was clearly the better game last year. FIFA series is also much better, especially last year. You should give it a try if you can find it in a bargain bin. It's well worth it.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I thought NHL 08 and NHL 2K8 were on par with each other, but I think NHL 09 was clearly the better game last year. FIFA series is also much better, especially last year. You should give it a try if you can find it in a bargain bin. It's well worth it.

I didn't like 2k8's control scheme.. but MANY did. I still think the skill stick is the best controller configuration in any console game.

I might try FIFA if I can find it cheap.. you are not the first that told me it was a good game.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #20
Balldog
Pro Rookie

On the NHL 09 Demo, I used NHL 95 controller settings
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #21
RainMaker
General Manager

With competition, EA can be pushed to make some amazing games. I'd love to see where Madden would be at with competition in the market.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

NHL producer interview: NHL 10 Video Game, Sean Ramjagsingh Interview HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #24
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

They decide to show off the new fighting minigame by showing Petr Sykora in a fight against Braydon Coburn? Talk about stupid. Sykora never fights. Why do they insist on allowing him to fight in these games much less allow footage of him fighting to be included in promotional video? Real fans know he never fights and just laugh when he squares off with Braydon Coburn.

The other thing that annoys me is that the developers still haven't removed that stupid maniacal fan laugh from the game. Anyone that has played many, many hours in the game knows the laugh I'm talking about; you can hear it briefly during the first gameplay footage in this trailer.

These may be little things but they annoy me. I loved NHL 09 but come on, how long does it take for someone to sit down and fix these things? Any fan of the series could point these out to the developers in about five minutes of gameplay.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, that was an annoying issue in 09, that the fights didn't seem to match up so well. Often times I'd try and go after the enforcer/physical player on the other team and it would randomly give me a non-fighter (usually a defenseman)

I assume the reason they picked Sykora in the video is "look, this is what happens when you don't have a tough guy on the ice". If done well, I quite like the idea of that. But it certainly doesn't suggest that this new system is going to be particularly realistic...

I'd love them to implement challenges and you can turn them down like some of the older hockey games had (does 2k Sports still have this) and that the other team would only fight you when it made sense (after a big hit or a scrum) rather than just being able to hit the Y button and get a fight in almost any situation.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

The storyline mode is kind of cool. Wonder how deep it will be.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #27
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

So you think you're Hardcore? | EA SPORTS

They've added a Hardcore mode this year, a game style in which the assists (passing, checking) are removed.

Here's what I think is the best part:

Quote:
When playing in Hardcore Mode, the first thing you’re going to notice is that the gameplay is slightly slower but that there is greater differentiation between the high and low end players. All the attributes are that much more important in this mode as player’s strengths and weaknesses are really accentuated. If you try deking back and forth on a breakaway with a 4th liner, there’s a good chance that the puck is going to roll off his stick. There’s a reason those guys shoot the puck every chance they get as opposed to trying to make a cute play or score a pretty goal. By the same token, if you try doing loose puck dekes or tight turns with a less skilled player, don’t be surprised if you lose control of the puck. More than ever you have to play real hockey, recognize who you have on the ice and play to the strengths and weaknesses of the players. This is why it was so important for us to nail the dump and chase as an effective style of play in this year’s game. When you have that 3rd or 4th line on the ice, keep it simple just like the real players do.

The frustrating part about last year's game is that the differentiation between the players was quite small, and really only noticeable when it came to scoring, hitting and speed. However, you could take a 4th liner and handle the puck as if he was a skilled player. The 2nd video on here shows that has changed, as more than a deke or two (or even a sharp turn) will cause your unskilled player to lose the puck.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post

They've added a Hardcore mode this year, a game style in which the assists (passing, checking) are removed.

The frustrating part about last year's game is that the differentiation between the players was quite small, and really only noticeable when it came to scoring, hitting and speed. However, you could take a 4th liner and handle the puck as if he was a skilled player. The 2nd video on here shows that has changed, as more than a deke or two (or even a sharp turn) will cause your unskilled player to lose the puck.

that's hugely necessary
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

When's this game coming out?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #30
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
When's this game coming out?

Sept 15.

I'm excited.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Sept 15.

I'm excited.

Ah, relatively soon then. Good deal. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #32
Icy
Pro Starter

NHL09 is the game i still play almost daily after a year of it's release. I have not enjoyed a game as much for years.

Can't wait for NHL10, to the point that i have not even purchased Madden for first time in years, as i know i will only play NHL10 for months in the EASHL with my created player as i did in 09.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #33
The Jackal
Coordinator

What was your player's name?
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #34
DanGarion
Coordinator

If they would remake the NHL94 version with today's players I'd be content and happy... I miss my old Genesis version that game was awesome.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #35
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
If they would remake the NHL94 version with today's players I'd be content and happy... I miss my old Genesis version that game was awesome.

Ask and ye shall receive

Well, kind of
Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This should be the default setting... I don't understand why it's a separate mode.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
This should be the default setting... I don't understand why it's a separate mode.

Agreed. Simulation/Hardcore shoudl be the default with an alternative 'arcade' mode.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #38
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'll disagree here, and I think its because most consumers like the unrealistic back-and-forth of how most games are played currently, where there are tons of beautiful scoring chances. Also, most players are going to want the assist from the CPU to help their checking and passing.

Having said that, I can't stand playing that way. I love having to dump-and-chase and score the 'ugly' goals.

One thing I really hope is that the passing rating plays a large role, so that a defensive D-man with a low pass rating will struggle to make a good first pass out of the zone.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot is that I think it will be a real challenge to play this way and it will take some time to learn how to pass and check w/o the assists on. Maybe they don't want to scare off the casual gamers by making the most difficult mode the default?

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 08-19-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #39
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hardcore mode sounds great, except this is EA and so like every other good idea they have they'll go way too far with it.

I look forward to players like Ovechkin scoring 15 goals a game and fourth line players being unable to control the puck at all.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #40
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Hardcore mode sounds great, except this is EA and so like every other good idea they have they'll go way too far with it.

I look forward to players like Ovechkin scoring 15 goals a game and fourth line players being unable to control the puck at all.

Are you suggesting that Hardcore mode will make taking control of the Leafs the most frustrating video game hockey experience of all time?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #41
samifan24
Pro Starter

Is there really any benefit to pre-ordering or reserving this game? I haven't played the game online ever (just got my PS3 and WiFi signal is too weak and played 09 at a buddy's place and he doesn't have WiFi). Is the pre-order code for an online upgrade to your player worth it? Any other benefit to players who primarily play offline?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #42
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Count me among those looking forward to this game, and singing the praises of NHL 09. That game flows great....personally, I find it oddly refreshing to play a sports game with no turbo/sprint button. I'll also echo the love for FIFA 09 as well...I think that might be one of the most well-produced games ever, in terms of content, interface, and graphics (I love that you can shoot around during the games' loading).

Also, FIFA 09 has 1000% more randomly generated black dudes with neon green eyes, blond mullets, and Irish names, than any other game on the market, so it's got that going for it.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll disagree here, and I think its because most consumers like the unrealistic back-and-forth of how most games are played currently, where there are tons of beautiful scoring chances. Also, most players are going to want the assist from the CPU to help their checking and passing.

Having said that, I can't stand playing that way. I love having to dump-and-chase and score the 'ugly' goals.

One thing I really hope is that the passing rating plays a large role, so that a defensive D-man with a low pass rating will struggle to make a good first pass out of the zone.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot is that I think it will be a real challenge to play this way and it will take some time to learn how to pass and check w/o the assists on. Maybe they don't want to scare off the casual gamers by making the most difficult mode the default?

You're right... most gamers will just want to pick it up and play.. heck, I like that way most of the time and might have an issue with passing on the hardcore level if it's too hard.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is there really any benefit to pre-ordering or reserving this game? I haven't played the game online ever (just got my PS3 and WiFi signal is too weak and played 09 at a buddy's place and he doesn't have WiFi). Is the pre-order code for an online upgrade to your player worth it? Any other benefit to players who primarily play offline?

Nope. I just like to guarantee the game is waiting for me on release day.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #45
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm still holding out for Black Ice Hockey.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #46
Icy
Pro Starter

Demo is out for Xbox gold members (will be a week later for silver), hope it will too for PS3 today, but i'm afraid it's an exclusive deal if only gold members can get it and no silver.

Last edited by Icy : 08-20-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #47
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Demo is out for Xbox gold members (will be a week later for silver), hope it will too for PS3 today, but i'm afraid it's an exclusive deal if only gold members can get it and no silver.

I'm looking forward to downloading it when I get home from work. I'm glad they're allowing you to set the game style (hardcore!) and skill level in the demo, that way I can get used to the hardcore style by the time the game comes out.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #48
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

Is the demo the "create your player and play him in the 3rd period of game 7?" and is it the same for everyone or is it like Madden where "premium" users get one demo and everyone else gets a watered down version?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #49
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Is the demo the "create your player and play him in the 3rd period of game 7?" and is it the same for everyone or is it like Madden where "premium" users get one demo and everyone else gets a watered down version?

I believe there is only 1 demo.

You get two options:

1) Play the 3rd period of game 7. The first time you play, it starts as in real life where Crosby gets injured and if you are the Pens, you have to decide to keep him in or sit him. The next time (and future plays), the sim engine simulates the first two periods of the game, and you jump in for the 3rd.

2) Be a Pro, where you create a player who is a mid 1st round prospect, and play in the new prospects game for the 3rd period. After the game, you get to see where you were drafted (i.e. a good performance in the 3rd can get you drafted 1st overall)
Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #50
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I believe there is only 1 demo.

You get two options:

1) Play the 3rd period of game 7. The first time you play, it starts as in real life where Crosby gets injured and if you are the Pens, you have to decide to keep him in or sit him. The next time (and future plays), the sim engine simulates the first two periods of the game, and you jump in for the 3rd.

2) Be a Pro, where you create a player who is a mid 1st round prospect, and play in the new prospects game for the 3rd period. After the game, you get to see where you were drafted (i.e. a good performance in the 3rd can get you drafted 1st overall)

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I don't understand why the NHL demos are only limited to one period. I remember playing the NHL 98 demo game over and over and over on an old PC.