Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Best computer coached season ever - FOF4

In the dynasty I'm running with the Vikings right now, Tampa Bay just ran up a perfect 19-0 season in the year 2011. Led by NFL MVP Trent Green, in his 15th season, they finished first in points scored and points allowed, averaging 33.8 and 15.5. They also trounced my Vikes twice, 37-10 and 41-11. Easily the most impressive season I've seen out of a computer run team.

Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Did they even have a close game?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

They won one game by 3 points during the regular season, all the others they won by 8 or more. In the playoffs they won 41-11 (over my team), 31-13 and then they had probably their toughest game against the Jets in the Super Bowl, 24-21. So only 2 of 19 games were by 7 points or less. They even blew through the exhibition season 4-0 with ease.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:11 PM   #4
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

For the 3 year stretch sandwiching their perfect season, Tampa won 34 straight regular season games 8 preseason games and 3 playoff games with their only loss being in the playoffs the year before their perfect season. Quite a little run.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:12 PM   #5
tucker342
Pro Starter

wow that's pretty good!!!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Was their roster that much better, or what? What do you think caused the run?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 08:41 AM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
How was the rest of their Division?
Old 03-27-2003, 09:26 AM   #8
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

During their perfect season, the rest of the NFC was pretty mediocre. The next best teams had 10-6 records. Nobody else within their division had more than 5 wins. But there was another 11-5 team in their division in both of the years surrounding the perfect season.

The games became much closer at the end of their streak. The year after their perfect season, Tampa started out 11-0, but 8 of those wins were by 7 points or less. Then they lost 5 straight to end the season and got bounced the first round of the playoffs.

Ironically, after that perfect season, I swapped quarterbacks with Tampa during free agency. They signed Duante Culpepper to a 3yr/30 million deal that I didn't want to match because he had become injury prone. I signed Trent Green for 2yr/5 million. Green was coming off a 4300 yard, 32 TD pass season, so I was pretty happy. Well, he basically sucked for a year and retired. But Culpepper is now in his second year with Tampa and has spent the entire time on injured reserve, first with a hernia, now with an MCL injury. Both teams are now in rebuilding mode.

Tampa's roster strength when they went 19-0 was only 66 but the team put up some awesome stats. Green's great performance, 2 1,000 yard receivers, 4 running backs with over 300 yards rushing each and 22 combined TDs. They were third in rushing and passing yards, gave up the fewest turnovers and had the best turnover margin. On defense, they were first against the run, 12th against the pass (everyone was playing catch up, they allowed the second most attempts but the fewest completions) first stopping third down conversions and second in forced turnovers. They also had the oldest team in the league, so it looks like they peaked with a lot of savvy vets at the right time.