Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Half a Marathon By December 31, 2010

This is a follow-up dynasty to the C25K Dynasty thread where I was able to go from Couch to 5K in 8 weeks. I felt so good about my accomplishment that my goal by the end of the year will be to run half a marathon. Since I was successful with the C25K program, I will follow-up with the Gateway to 8K program and go from there. The developer who created the C25K application for iTouch/iPhone also created one for the Gateway to 8K program and that's what I'll be using.

We went on vacation for a couple of weeks and haven't ran in a while so I'll be rusty. The program starts off slow so I'm not really worried about it. I start tomorrow.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-03-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Week 1 - Day 1 run of GW28K running plan. Today's workout consisted of:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do four repetitions of the following:
- Run 7 minutes
- Walk 1 minute.
Five-minute cooldown walk.

Incredibly I picked up exactly where I left off 3 weeks ago. Weather was in the mid-40's and it felt great to be out running. It was rough in the beginning but I'm so so glad that I'm right where I should be. *sigh of relief*

Looks like this program adds a minute to each run every week. Here is an outline in case anyone is interested. I have also found the Gateway to 8K application I'm using. It can be found HERE.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-17-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Subby
lolzcat

GO GO GO!

Great goals for 2010! I will definitely be following along...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Thanks Subby!

Week 1 - Day 2
run of GW28K running plan. Today's workout consisted of:

- Run 7 minutes
- Walk 1 minute.

I was having second thoughts about running in this weather.. it's actually really chilly for Austin. But to motivate myself, I read this and re-read this for motivation. I mean seriously, I felt like a big wuss after reading how some people run in single digits. Nonetheless, as a first time runner and someone who isn't used to this kind of weather, I had to just put my shoes on and go out there. Since I don't have cold weather clothing I improvised so I wore 2 sweaters, shorts, sweats and some poofy socks to stay warm. The first run was rough, my eyes watered as the 28mph gusting winds hit my face. Going uphill was killer but I'm glad I was able to go over this hurdle, never thought I'd be "one of those people".. heh.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-07-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
MartinD
High School Varsity

Nice run! Sometimes getting yourself out of the door is the hardest part of a run...

The big thing that I find helpful in cold and windy weather is to have a decent wind-proof layer - is surprising how warm you end up if you can keep the wind out.
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Thanks Martin!

Week 1 - Day 3
run of GW28K running plan. Today's workout consisted of:

- Run 7 minutes
- Walk 1 minute.

Still haven't gotten the pacing thing down because I start fast and end up completely exhausted, struggling towards the end. The weather was much nicer, no wind and in the high 30s. Another thing that drives me nuts and I don't know why I do it is tense my arms and shoulders. I don't realize I do it until I start paying attention to my shoulders... very tense and it slows me down.

Next week (Tuesday) I start week 2 and it'll change from 7 minutes to 8, still 4 repetitions. I should work on getting some core exercises in when I'm not running.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Week 2 - Day 1 run of GW28K running plan. Today's workout consisted of:

- Run 8 minutes
- Walk 1 minute.

Added a quarter of a mile to my workout!!! My plan through this journey was to add a quarter every week, so far, so good. It was a sunny 59 degree day and fantastic for a run. I have also lost 4.4 lbs in 1 week. Not sure if I mentioned this, but Antmeister came home with a juicer last week and we've been juicing now for a week; so that in combination with running might have something to do with the weight loss. I have also cut down on portion control and eat more fruits. I should add more veggies to my diet though. We add them to our juice but it's probably not enough.

My next workout is Thursday and it's supposed to rain. Should be fun, I've never run in the rain.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well....I just read the C25K Dynasty and I am going to follow this one but you have managed to motivate me.

I am buying the App and I will be doing the workout on the road with me traveling...I will be getting up early in the AM's or running when I get back to my Hotel.

But I need to do it, I need to lose the gut and get back into active shape.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Well....I just read the C25K Dynasty and I am going to follow this one but you have managed to motivate me.

I am buying the App and I will be doing the workout on the road with me traveling...I will be getting up early in the AM's or running when I get back to my Hotel.

But I need to do it, I need to lose the gut and get back into active shape.

Seriously? That is fantastic!! I would love to see updates on Facebook/Twitter or a dynasty. I find that updating my dynasty and posting on Facebook helps keep me accountable.

While doing the C25K workouts I wasn't watching what I ate and didn't lose one pound. So definitely watch the calories. My thinking was that if I bust my ass running, I'll still lose weight. No, it didn't work out that way. My approach this time is different.

And yes dedication is key here, and it's definitely doable... good luck!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Gotta tell you Dodgerchick you got me hooked as well. I entered a local Biggest Loser contest and this is the perfect add on to help get my butt off the couch. I do not have an Iphone but will be using my Ipod with the podrunner intervals program.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Gotta tell you Dodgerchick you got me hooked as well. I entered a local Biggest Loser contest and this is the perfect add on to help get my butt off the couch. I do not have an Iphone but will be using my Ipod with the podrunner intervals program.

That's great news cubboyroy. You and MacroGuru totally made my day!! Best of luck on your journey. Don't get frustrated, take it really slow... remember, you're running for time, not distance. The program is designed to gradually increase the time you spend on your feet, rather than the distance... the distance will come later.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-12-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #12
SunDevil
College Prospect

You motivated me as well. I read this dynasty on Monday and ordered the kit and just got it in the mail today. I signed up through Nike.com to track my results. Thanks for doing this dynasty.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Wow, supercool SunDevil, glad to hear you're jumping on as well!! Which kit did you order?

Today:

Week 2 - Day 2 run of GW28K running plan. Today's workout consisted of:

- Run 8 minutes
- Walk 1 minute.

One thing I don't like about the G28K app is that it doesn't notify how much time I have left on the last run. The C25K app told me how many minutes I had left. Maybe I have to wait until I'm further into the training.. I don't know. I might have to inquire about that.

Today there was a light drizzle and it felt nice as it hit my face. I felt light on my feet but the stats don't show that. I have to try and push myself harder towards the end to get the stats to go up. Always in competition w/ myself but that's what I love about running! There's always room for improvement.

My next run is Saturday and I'm gonna have to work around the post-season schedule which means I'm running in the morning... not a fan, I much prefer to run at night. There's something about the peacefulness and serenity of night that I really enjoy. Plus I don't have to deal with traffic, smoky cars and sun.

Tomorrow is gonna be rough diet-wise; Antmeister and I are going to the movies and I'm always tempted to order something junky like pizza, hamburgers or fried pickles (so so good). I'm gonna have to look at the menu ahead of time and prepare. Maybe order wine instead of beer and a salad for dinner.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-14-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Week 2 - Day 3 run of GW28K running plan. Today's workout consisted of:

- Run 8 minutes
- Walk 1 minute.

I was supposed to go running yesterday but my Touch went on the fritz. Antmeister tried fixing it for a couple of hours and nothing. Thankfully I went to an Apple retail store today and got it swapped with another one. The running schedule resumes.

I ran right after the devastating Chargers loss and ran hard. Letting off some steam no doubt, I went up 0.11 miles.

Tuesday is a new week and an extra minute will be tagged on to my runs.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Week 3 - Day 1 run of GW28K running plan.Today's workout consisted of:

- Run 9 minutes
- Walk 1 minute.

65 and a tad breezy today. This one was really tough. At the beginning of the 4th lap, I was completely exhausted and sweaty. Should have ran in shorts. Oh, and a good sports bra makes a humongous difference. I was wearing a cheapo one and my DDD's didn't like it. I wanted to stop so so bad but I kept running.. one foot in front of the other. Was so glad to hear the cooldown prompt. I came home and was actually in tears I pushed so hard and accomplished my goal of 1/4 of a mile in the beginning and not the end of the week.

I'm spent, gnite.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Week 3 - Day 2 run of GW28K running plan.Today's workout consisted of:

- Run 9 minutes
- Walk 1 minute.

I wasn't gonna post anything until later but it'll do me good to post how I'm feeling. I feel miserable. There were 2 points in the run where I just wanted to stop, thank goodness for the Rocky song and Don't Stop Believing by Journey... they came right when I felt like quitting. Cheesy, I know, but goddamn... why am I doing this again?

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-21-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
MartinD
High School Varsity

Well done for getting through a tough run! It's inevitable that, as you work through a training program, you'll have a few runs where you don't feel right, or things aren't going well - it's a good sign that you managed to keep going even though you didn't want to
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #18
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Thanks Martin!

For those of you who are not my Facebook friends, just wanted to advise that I'll be taking a month off of Facebook, FOFC, and most internet activity and will channel that energy on something more positive. I spend so much time on these 3 that somehow I lost track of the little things life has to offer. I'm definitely not giving up on my goal of running a 1/2 marathon, the schedule resumes as normal. I actually ran 3.78 miles today... definitely a night runner, for sure. Anytime I run in the daytime I tend to slow down.

When I come back I will make one huge post with Nike+ data so you all can see how I've done.

See you on February 25.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #19
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Week 5 - Day 2 run of GW28K running plan.Today's workout consisted of:

- Run 11 minutes
- Walk 1 minute.

Well my time away didn't last, did it? I was gonna update the dynasty with stats from my previous workouts but got confused and don't know what's what.. oops. I could have sworn I missed a week but my application says I'm on Week 5, Day 2. I swear these past few weeks have been a blur. Anyway, I'm completely and utterly stoked to be where I'm at. I'm at the halfway point and I need a little over half a mile to finish the goal of the program. I'm considering just running 8K (4.97 miles) and stop wasting time. 5 weeks is 5 weeks but why bother if I'm so close.. ya know? I'm gonna finish this week and next and see where I'm at.

Oh and another thing, I finished the C25K training but never actually ran in an event. I've had several friends that have trained and ran and I haven't. I guess I'm a little nervous since I don't consider myself a runner yet and don't know how I'll do. Pretty ridiculous considering I'm already running close to 4.5 miles.

Anyway, I realized that I really need to update this dynasty to keep me going. It keeps me honest and motivated.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #20
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I haven't been feeling well and put my training on hold for a few days. Now that I'm feeling better, I will continue w/ Week 5, Day 3 tomorrow.

So I found out my sister-in-law has started running as well and signed up for a 5K. She did very well considering it was her first time. She finished at 25:00... I"m so proud of her. She convinced me that I should sign up for a 5K event and that all kinds of people run this thing and some finish after an hour. So, I did. The Texas Independence Day 5K Run| Saturday, March 06, 2010 @ 8:00 AM in Downtown Austin is what I'll be participating in. I'm a little nervous, but I have to put this fear aside and just do it. I mean, hell, I'm already running 4 1/2 a half miles and I'm sure my time has improved so what am I afraid of?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #21
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I wanted to see where my 5K numbers were like so I ran it instead. I'm not pleased so now I don't know if I should continue with the G28K program or work on my 5K time. Hmmm...

As I was running I felt some pain on my side that lasted a few minutes but it went away the more I ran. I probably should have rested an extra day because my throat is murmuring obscenities at me right now.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 02-17-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #22
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I ran this on 12/8/09 shortly after finishing the C25K training. Looks like I'm 1 1/2 minutes slower... grrr.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 02-17-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #23
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Still doing the workouts, just lazy about updating the dynasty. I've been averaging 12:30ish a mile. Today my pedometer wigged out on me so I had to stop running and fix it. The settings must have been changed... I bet it was my son he has a habit of messing with things he shouldn't. I was on a roll, running at a 12 minute pace but I don't know if stopping messed me up or what. Probably not, I still tend to start fast and end up dying towards the end.

Well, the 5K event is this Saturday and I'll probably run tomorrow night, Thursday afternoon and rest up Friday. No pain, no gain, right?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #24
MartinD
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Well, the 5K event is this Saturday and I'll probably run tomorrow night, Thursday afternoon and rest up Friday. No pain, no gain, right?

Just a thought - it might be worth considering taking it relatively easy on Thursday (either a shorter distance, a slower pace or both) to make sure you're properly rested up for Saturday's race - it takes 3 or 4 days to recover fully from a hard training run, so you'll still be a little bit tired if you do an all-out run on Thursday.

Good luck with the race
Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #25
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD View Post
Just a thought - it might be worth considering taking it relatively easy on Thursday (either a shorter distance, a slower pace or both) to make sure you're properly rested up for Saturday's race - it takes 3 or 4 days to recover fully from a hard training run, so you'll still be a little bit tired if you do an all-out run on Thursday.

Good luck with the race

Thanks Martin, I took your advice. I ran 2 1/2 miles yesterday and didn't today. Time improved a bit but probably cuz I didn't run 5K.

Over the past week I've been gathering some quotes to psych me up for this Saturday. I'll start posting some motivational quotes as I come across them. The ones I've liked:

- "Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts."

- "Stand up to your fears! You'll find they haven't half the weight you thought they had!" author unknown

- "Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true." Leon J. Suenes

- NO PAIN, NO GAIN

- "Pain is temporary, pride is forever" - Unknown

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 03-04-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #26
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Lorena has helped convince me to start this program (the Couch-to-5k one). I've been doing the Hundred Pushups program and it is going really well, but to add to my workouts, I ran the other day - and boy oh boy, did it just about kill me, heh. So sometime soon (probably after I get a decent pair of running shoes), and thanks to the iPod playlist that Lorena sent me, I am going to do this well (PS - you can follow my exploits at http://www.theandyman.info - if you're curious )
Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #27
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Lorena has helped convince me to start this program (the Couch-to-5k one). I've been doing the Hundred Pushups program and it is going really well, but to add to my workouts, I ran the other day - and boy oh boy, did it just about kill me, heh. So sometime soon (probably after I get a decent pair of running shoes), and thanks to the iPod playlist that Lorena sent me, I am going to do this well (PS - you can follow my exploits at http://www.theandyman.info - if you're curious )

Whaaatt???!!! That's totally kick ass, so glad to hear it! I'll check it out, but you might have to post a link on your Facebook status so I remember

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 03-05-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #28
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

You do realize that every time I post, it updates to my FB (all the "At The Hideaway" links), right?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #29
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
You do realize that every time I post, it updates to my FB (all the "At The Hideaway" links), right?

Haha, yes, that's true. I'll be on the lookout!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #30
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

So today, I guess you can say I "graduated" from the C25K program. Here are a few pics of the event:

Map of the run

Start line

My son gives me a hug

Gettin' my iTouch ready

Our MC. He said, "whatever you do, don't shoot the runner next to you!" hehe

And we're off!!!

My backside

My son runs over to meet me, right before I cross the finish line

Here I am with 2 of my biggest fans

The stats

So yeah, I actually ran the whole way! The hills were incredibly hard, I should have known we'd have some. And my pedometer needs to be calibrated, obviously. So in 2 1/2 months I was actually training for 2 1/2 miles and not the full 3.1... heh. Sorta funny. It was nuts, before I hit the 1 mile mark I saw someone heading back! That means he probably did the whole thing in like 12 minutes or so... absofuckingincredible. Antmeister said there was a young boy (probably about 10) that finished top 10. Wow!! As I ran up the first hill, I kept wondering where 1 mile mark was, then I turned the corner and there it was... what... I barely ran a mile? I was already tired, those hills man. So I kept running up these hills, tired, hurting... these hills are eventually going down, right? Then I approached the 2 mile mark.. oh yes, all downhill from here... literally. The 2 mile mark was the beginning of the downhill. Then I saw the finish line.. I actually teared up, then my son ran to meet me and I lost it. Luv that little boy.

So Monday I resume the G28K and take it from there. I'll have to calibrate my pedometer soon though to get a better read on my distance.

Oh yeah, when we first arrived, this confused noob didn't know where to go so I approached a woman and asked if she knew where we could park. She gave us directions and we chatted for a bit. I told her I finished the C25K program and then she said, that she was a running coach. Cool! The odds. So I told her about my year end goal and she told me to visit USA Fit :: Austin :: Marathon and Half Marathon Training Programs and sign up. Gave me great advice so after I finish this, I'm actually considering getting a running coach... but we'll see.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 03-06-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #31
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Week 5 - Day 3 of GW28K
Today's workout consisted of:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do four repetitions of the following: - Run 11 minutes - Walk 1 minute. Five-minute cooldown walk.

Man, I'm exhausted. I picked up right where I left off on 2/10/10. We live in a quiet neighborhood so I run on the street, close to the sidewalk though. I saw a car coming so I stepped on the curb and somehow I landed wrong and felt a little bit of pain on my hip. It wasn't overwhelmingly bad, but enough that I could notice. I'm gonna stretch it out a bit and massage it. I seriously need to do back and core exercises to better my running performance. Well, that and lose about 70 lbs. When I finished the 5K, the lady that was at the registration booth was at the finish line and congratulated everyone who finished. When I crossed the finish line, she congratulated me and said I was the last of the runners, but beat all the walkers. Ugh... thanks I guess. I don't see her words as discouraging though, on the contrary, it's motivation to get my weight to where it needs to be so I'm not last at the next event. I am 200 lbs. See, so if anyone is on the fence about doing this running thing, I'm a big girl and I was able to do it. If I can, I think you can find it in yourself to do this too.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 03-08-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #32
path12
Coordinator

Congrats on the 5K, DC!! That's a helluva achievement.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #33
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Nice job, DC! I ran my first 5K back in October and just completed my first half marathon last week. Keep it up for a few more months and you'll hit your goal before you know it.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #34
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Thanks path and TargetPractice!

TargetPracitce, congrats to you! It's quite the feat going from 5K to half a marathon in a few of months... you inspire me.

Truth be told, I haven't ran in a couple of weeks. I need to get back on this since I signed up for a 5K for April 24th. I'm gonna end up walking most of it though because the kiddos are gonna do it with me. And I still haven't calibrated my pedometer. Eesh.

I have lost 10 lbs. though since the beginning of the year... woot!

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 04-05-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #35
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Well, since my last post, I haven't ran much. I've done a lot of walking and my pedometer is finally calibrated! (well, the walking part anyway). I scrapped the Gateway to 8K training and I'm just gonna go for the 10K. 10K is roughly 1/4 of a marathon (or half of a half) and according to the iTouch app, if I run 3 times a week, I'll be able to finish 10K (or 6.21 miles) in 6 weeks (so the end of May). You can read up on it here - About Bridge to 10K « Couch to 5K

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 04-12-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #36
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I realized I hate running on a treadmill. I got a membership at the YMCA specifically so I can run over the summer because the thought of running in +100 degree heat plus humidity isn't something I'm looking forward to. I ran for about 50 minutes an logged in over 3 miles :/ Slow ass running. Now that my pedometer is calibrated these low numbers are very discouraging. I ran today for 3.44 miles, same amount of minutes. I don't like the pounding my feet make while running on the treadmill... it's not like I'm a lean mean running machine so when my feet land, they make a loud sound and I hate hearing it.

So I ran around the neighborhood today and enjoyed the 75 degree weather with 18 mph breeze... felt really nice. The clouds were gray and I was anticipating rain. During my last lap it started drizzling.. man it felt good... too bad it only lasted about 5 minutes.

Next workout will be Saturday. Now that I have a membership to the Y, my plan is to either swim or do some body combat on my off-running days. Also, my plan is to create a gif from my first Bridge to 10K workout to the last so I can see better progress.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 04-15-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #37
sabotai
General Manager

I started C25K again last week. Today was Day 1 of Week 2. Third time starting it. The first two times ended after day 2 of week 1 when my foot hurt like hell. Got (expensive) "cushioned stability" running shoes that are like running on pillows compared to my regular sneakers. Foot pain pretty much 99% gone.

I'm at 245lbs right now. Was 233 a few months ago, but the holidays, time off from work and laziness combined to get me back up to 245. I know my knees would very much appreciate me losing weight. They are hurting right now.

One of my runs last week was in the drizzling rain. It was great. Easiest run I had so far. What was even better was that I had the park all to myself. I guess no one else wanted to run in the rain.

Last edited by sabotai : 04-15-2010 at 03:12 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #38
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

So today I decided to tackle some hills. I ended up running 0.19 miles less, but I tacked 3 hills that I wouldn't even consider walking before I started this journey. I came home and told Antmeister about it and he encouraged by reminding me that I had just run 3 miles. Yes, true. I'm such a competitor though I'm never happy enough.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 04-20-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #39
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I started C25K again last week. Today was Day 1 of Week 2. Third time starting it. The first two times ended after day 2 of week 1 when my foot hurt like hell. Got (expensive) "cushioned stability" running shoes that are like running on pillows compared to my regular sneakers. Foot pain pretty much 99% gone.

I'm at 245lbs right now. Was 233 a few months ago, but the holidays, time off from work and laziness combined to get me back up to 245. I know my knees would very much appreciate me losing weight. They are hurting right now.

One of my runs last week was in the drizzling rain. It was great. Easiest run I had so far. What was even better was that I had the park all to myself. I guess no one else wanted to run in the rain.

That's awesome sab, grats on starting up again! Sounds like you have the right kind of sneakers this time around. Having the right kind of shoe makes a huge difference doesn't it?

So you had the whole park to yourself and ran in the rain? Very cool, guess not many people are as dedicated as you
Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #40
sabotai
General Manager

Unfortunately, I think I have to stop again. Feet feel fine, but my knees are in a ton of pain today after doing Day 3 of Week 2 and I noticed a bump on my left calf that was gone by the time I got home (Dr. Google says it was probably a swollen muscle). So yeah, my legs suck apparently. Going to start maybe using EA Sports Active again and do some other things and try running again after I drop a good amount of weight.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #41
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Aww, sorry sab Yeah if your knee is giving you problems, then choosing something like EA Sports Active might be a better option. Ant tried the 3 week (?) challenge and it kicked his butt.

Good luck, hope your knee gets better.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #42
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Few pictures of the University of Texas Autism Project 5K this weekend:

Start/Finish

1 1/4 mile marker

Halfway there!

This run was in honor of our son Landon who was diagnosed with "Autism with Speech Impairment":

Yeah, that's pretty much it, I handheld my camera while running. It was such a gorgeous day for a run. It was also very kickback and I took a bunch of pictures of stuff. Here are a few more:

Old 04-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #43
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Creepy sculpture

Rocks piled high

Tshirts we got

Old 04-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #44
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Jesus Christ, I'm completely, and utterly exhausted. I'm on Week 2 of the Bridge to 10K program and went from:

Week 1 - Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Run 10 minutes / walk 1 minute. Repeat 4 times. Five-minute cooldown walk

to

Week 2 - Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Run 15 minutes / walk 1 minute. Repeat 3 times. Five-minute cooldown walk.

Run.... for 15 minutes. Good grief, I thought it'd never end.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #45
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

What was I thinking, half a marathon by the end of the year. I don't think I'm gonna make it so this dynasty is coming to an end... for now. I'm gonna continue running but I will probably not train for 10k. A lot will have to do with how much weight I lose. So far I haven't lost more than the 10 lbs. mentioned a few posts up.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #46
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Got on a treadmill at the Y and thought I'd be creaking with rustiness but surprisingly was able to jog for 2 1/2 miles and walked 1/2 mile for 3.14 miles. Speed is still slow, but did fairly well. They have a really cool setup where we're able to watch a movie/tv show while we're on the treadmill/bike/step machine.

I've been faithfully going to the Body Combat classes and the plan is to jog on the treadmill for over 3 miles when I don't do these classes. If I can, I'll run for a mile on Body Combat days. It helps knowing people depend on me to be there, that's helped A LOT!!

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 06-12-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #47
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

dola,

I definitely have the exercise thing now... 4x a week compared to nothing before I started the running thing. My addiction to food is ridiculous though. I mean I seriously wanted to drive 14 miles to buy a stupid bag of 3rd Degree Doritos lol. No more. Someone here on the board said, "Eat to live, don't live to eat". I thought about that a lot and thought, why the hell am I gonna drive all the way down there to buy a 1.00 bag of chips? Is it seriously worth it? I need to find something to keep me busy.. I think that's the key.