Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Baseball Mogul released! (now version 2011)

Discounted to $29.99 too!

Sports Mogul Online Store

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-27-2010 at 07:51 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hasn't that always been the price?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

No, it's going to be $34.99 I believe.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm considering getting this. I don't think I've bought a BBM game since probably the second version, I think? Somewhere around 2000-01ish - don't remember.

Anyway...is it worth purchasing?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, Clay switched it.. now the CD verison is $34.99 and the download version is $29.99.

Is it worth it? I'm going to wait a bit since 09 has been fine for me and I don't see too many changes besides the # of pitchers you can now have on your roster and a couple of other changes I like.

I'll browse the forums over there and see the reactions vs 09.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Ksyrup

What do you think of the '09 version? I haven't played BBM for a number of years, so I'm just wondering if it's taken any big steps forward since then. I was playing BBM before FOF, and in fact I think I found FOF through doing some searches for BBM-like games. So that's how long it's been since I played BBM.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Try the demo, I'd say. It's a much better game than when I first picked it up ('03?) but its still a little light. It moves fast, there's minimal micromanaging, and its designed well. It's not terribly deep.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
rjolley
College Starter

I've enjoyed playing BM2009, as I have other versions. It's very easy to get through multiple seasons in one sitting. I haven't tried managing games.

Edit: Ksyrup: Funny, I did the same thing. I started off testing the original BM, started looking for similar games, and found Tony LaRussa Baseball and FOF.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-25-2009 at 03:04 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Ksyrup

Yeah, I know enough to know that it's polar opposite of OOTP - which is why I'm thinking of picking it up once again. I kinda liked that simplicity, then I found FOF and loved the nitpicky details, and now I think I'm headed back the other way - mainly because I just don't have the kind of time needed to devote to really digging in and playing a game like FOF or OOTP.

Are the sims believable, free agency work, career arcs OK, etc.? I know I wouldn't be looking to pick it apart like OOTP since it's just not that type of game, but I do have some standards to make it worth my while.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-25-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'd say its believable, but I don't tend to be too picky about these things. I think generally prospects get too good too soon, and the historical leagues are a bit wacky at times. Free agency is ok, but I still think that you can get quality players for too cheap if you're patient. Career arcs seem good and I have no problems with the sims.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
rjolley
College Starter

I've always been able to build dynasty, but that was on the lowest level.

I think the sims are believable and the career arcs are ok. I have been able to make trades, for the most part, for young players to build my teams pretty easily, but that may have been the skill level as well.

I don't delve much into FA, but when I have, I was able to get the player I wanted. Again, this could be tied to the skill level.

Tonight, I'll play through a few seasons on the harder levels and see if it feels harder to build a dynasty.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Galaril
Pro Starter

Is free agency still just offering a contract and the play excepts or not? Is there any knid of negoitation period going on between teams and players so you could have bidding wars?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

You can always sign the free agents if you cede to their demands (though those often are quite high). No negotiation process. Their demands will lower as FA goes on.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I've found the last couple of BM releases to be far less realistic than OOTP, but far more fun.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
BlackJack
n00b

For anyone who considers putting even a modest amount of time into a baseball text sim, spending money on this instead of OOTP is a crime against humanity.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
For anyone who considers putting even a modest amount of time into a baseball text sim, spending money on this instead of OOTP is a crime against humanity.

that's so helpful
Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What do you think of the '09 version? I haven't played BBM for a number of years, so I'm just wondering if it's taken any big steps forward since then. I was playing BBM before FOF, and in fact I think I found FOF through doing some searches for BBM-like games. So that's how long it's been since I played BBM.

I love it. It's been my go to baseball sim for two years now.

Get 09 for $19.99.. then, if you really like it.. get 2010. v09 is excellent and I believe Skydog reviewed it if you want to read up on it...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
For anyone who considers putting even a modest amount of time into ootp, spending money on ootp instead of BM is a crime against humanity.

Fixed.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #19
Ksyrup

I took the plunge last night, messed around with it for about 90 minutes. Seemed very familiar despite me not playing BBM for almost 10 years, which may be good, but might not be, I don't know. The wife and kids are heading out for Spring Break this weekend, so I'll have plenty of time to play this for the next week or so.

As far as OOTP goes, I've purchased the last couple of versions and found myself mostly using it to simulate, not play. Particularly historical sims, but even fictional ones, I've found that I don't really like OOTP as a game that I participate in so much as I like to create historical and fictional scenarios, sim them out, and examine the results. I guess that's worth paying for, but I'd also like a baseball game I can actually enjoy playing, too. I can't really explain why that is, because even when I try to "dumb down" the setup - only one minor league, no free agency (if playing an historical sim), etc. - I still don't enjoy OOTP as a game that much. I'll probably buy the new OOTP to support Marcus, but I bet I play BBM more than OOTP - although I'm sure with all the sims I'll be running, OOTP will be up and running on my computers more often than BBM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #20
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I took the plunge last night, messed around with it for about 90 minutes. Seemed very familiar despite me not playing BBM for almost 10 years, which may be good, but might not be, I don't know. The wife and kids are heading out for Spring Break this weekend, so I'll have plenty of time to play this for the next week or so.

As far as OOTP goes, I've purchased the last couple of versions and found myself mostly using it to simulate, not play. Particularly historical sims, but even fictional ones, I've found that I don't really like OOTP as a game that I participate in so much as I like to create historical and fictional scenarios, sim them out, and examine the results. I guess that's worth paying for, but I'd also like a baseball game I can actually enjoy playing, too. I can't really explain why that is, because even when I try to "dumb down" the setup - only one minor league, no free agency (if playing an historical sim), etc. - I still don't enjoy OOTP as a game that much. I'll probably buy the new OOTP to support Marcus, but I bet I play BBM more than OOTP - although I'm sure with all the sims I'll be running, OOTP will be up and running on my computers more often than BBM.

This is the tricky part of OOTP. It has so many options its hard to know exactly what you want. I know I am always messing around with salary structure and AI evaluation methods and cant ever find the perfect blend. My least favorite part of OOTP is bizarre computer AI, athough I cut it some slack because with the depth of the game and the options available it almost seems impossible for any person to create a solid AI.

I did purchase BM10 and I did enjoy what Ive seen thus far. I still wish I knew more about the engine. When I play OOTP the games make sense and how the stats are generated make sense. When I play BM10 it still seems sometimes that the stats are generated but they dont always seem like they are produced in a "realistic" way. Its hard for me to elaborate exactly what I mean on that as even I struggle to write exactly what I mean.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
This is the tricky part of OOTP. It has so many options its hard to know exactly what you want. I know I am always messing around with salary structure and AI evaluation methods and cant ever find the perfect blend. My least favorite part of OOTP is bizarre computer AI, athough I cut it some slack because with the depth of the game and the options available it almost seems impossible for any person to create a solid AI.

I did purchase BM10 and I did enjoy what Ive seen thus far. I still wish I knew more about the engine. When I play OOTP the games make sense and how the stats are generated make sense. When I play BM10 it still seems sometimes that the stats are generated but they dont always seem like they are produced in a "realistic" way. Its hard for me to elaborate exactly what I mean on that as even I struggle to write exactly what I mean.

i know what you mean
Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I tried BM 2009 when the company made it available for free for a few hours. I played through a few seasons and it was pretty good but OOTP is still the baseball sim for me. I think it does a more realistic job simulating the sport in addition to all the bells and whistles.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I bought ootp10 to support Markus and maybe I'll give it some serious playing time as long as there is a real player quickstart with all the settings done.

With BM, I love the ease of playing the game.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #24
eiskrap
n00b

I love and hate OOTP, I can spend weeks setting up the perfect structure with salary and feeder leagues, but whenever I get round to playing, I usually get bored after a couple of weeks. No particular reason but it just doesn't dig me in... still I'm excited now so will probably fire up my last save again tonight, and play for antoher week before finding somethign else to do...

I don't think I could play antoher Baseball sim without the same depth though...
eiskrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #25
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'd still like them to make it so you could save a league in OOTP and then inport that league multiple times into the same league, so I could easily pick apart numbers and how changes affect each league on the same exact players....

I made the request a couple times because you could technically do it already by importing an Old 6.5 league to the newer OOTP multiple times, just would like to do it with itself...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #26
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I'd still like them to make it so you could save a league in OOTP and then inport that league multiple times into the same league, so I could easily pick apart numbers and how changes affect each league on the same exact players....

I made the request a couple times because you could technically do it already by importing an Old 6.5 league to the newer OOTP multiple times, just would like to do it with itself...

I believe you can do that using a template if I am understanding what you are asking for. (I am partially confused since this is a baseball mogul thread and you mention OOTP, so wasn't sure if you were saying you would like Baseball mogul to do this or OOTP to do this)..

Anyways in OOTP, you set the league up the way you want it, all of the various factors and such and then save it as a template.

Then run the league, and re-load the template and make the minor change you want and re-run it again, and so on so forth.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Boy do I feel like a goof.. just found something I never knew. Click on a players name in their scouting report and it takes you to their baseball-reference page.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-26-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #28
Ksyrup

How are the fielding ratings figured? I'm talking about the overall number we see. For instance, Carlos Guillen is rated a 75, but if you go to his "skills" tab, he has different ratings for each position. For him, I'm able to get 75 by averaging his ratings at all 8 positions - including catcher (a 44 rating)! That can't be right... Brandon Inge, OTOH, has an overall rating higher than any one positional rating. Not sure I'm getting this. Does the player get the rating for the position he's playing. and the overall rating represents something I haven't quite figured out, or what? And how does the "arm" rating factor into the overall fielding rating, if at all?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #29
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You're only looking for trouble trying to make sense of all the ratings in BM. It's a fun quick sim, but as I said above realism isn't a reason to play.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
You can always sign the free agents if you cede to their demands (though those often are quite high). No negotiation process. Their demands will lower as FA goes on.

To me, that's single greatest reason to not buy BM.

There is an alternative to the simplicity of BM and complexity of OOTP9/10 - just play an earlier version of OOTP.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #31
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

6.5. That was the greatest.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #32
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
6.5. That was the greatest.

Yep (even though I am partial to 5.14).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #33
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
To me, that's single greatest reason to not buy BM.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #34
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Of course you're right, but on the other hand people look for different things out of their sim experience. For me, playing a sim game shouldn't feel like work and OOTP has ever since they moved to SI. FM, on the other hand, is like candy.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #35
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
You're only looking for trouble trying to make sense of all the ratings in BM. It's a fun quick sim, but as I said above realism isn't a reason to play.

I'm not looking for realism, just trying to make sense of it so I can construct my team accordingly.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #36
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think that's even asking too much. I could never really understand fielding ratings. Pitching and hitting ratings make sense, but I always found fielding ratings to be nothing more than a rough approximation of ability. Guys with much higher tend to play better, but how numbers get determined and how they specifically effect fielding is beyond anything I could figure out.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How are the fielding ratings figured? I'm talking about the overall number we see. For instance, Carlos Guillen is rated a 75, but if you go to his "skills" tab, he has different ratings for each position. For him, I'm able to get 75 by averaging his ratings at all 8 positions - including catcher (a 44 rating)! That can't be right... Brandon Inge, OTOH, has an overall rating higher than any one positional rating. Not sure I'm getting this. Does the player get the rating for the position he's playing. and the overall rating represents something I haven't quite figured out, or what? And how does the "arm" rating factor into the overall fielding rating, if at all?

Seriously.. ask this same question over at their forums.. they have a couple of vets over there who will give you the answer you are looking for.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

BM and OOTP are two different games.. I've bought both and after ootp 6.51, I've played BM from then on.

I just love the interface of BM and how easy it is to jump in and play... if you're a die hard baseball fan, then ootp is your answer.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #39
Ksyrup

Here's something else I'm not getting...the more you spend on scouting, the more accurate your scouts are supposed to be, right? Well, I just jumped from 19th in scouting spending to 3rd and kept it there for 2 years, and my scouting is still +/-8 on every player. I thought that number was supposed to change based on your scouting budget...?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #40
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What I've read is that the scouting error lags for a while, and it will eventually get better. I've seen it take way too long to catch up to what you're spending.

Last edited by JPhillips : 03-27-2009 at 08:00 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #41
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here's something else I'm not getting...the more you spend on scouting, the more accurate your scouts are supposed to be, right? Well, I just jumped from 19th in scouting spending to 3rd and kept it there for 2 years, and my scouting is still +/-8 on every player. I thought that number was supposed to change based on your scouting budget...?

I wish there was a way to disable this side of things - it's a pain. I usually just end up going in and bumping all my stuff up to "A" manually, but I feel like the scouting error is too large.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #42
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I just love the interface of BM and how easy it is to jump in and play...

and the interface for OOTP prior to hooking up with SI was absolutely diabolical.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m View Post
and the interface for OOTP prior to hooking up with SI was absolutely diabolical.

No, this is THE diabolical..

Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #44
Ksyrup

Um...so I'm at the trade deadline of my first season with the Tigers, and I'm looking at the league leaders in the minors to see if anyone is interesting, and I see this dude (Daniel Gutierrez with KC's A team) who is leading the league with a 0.00 ERA. So I figure he's probably just moved up from Rookie league...but no. Dude is 18-0 in 19 starts, 139 IP, 9 hits, 1 unearned run (apparently leading to his only no-decision of the year), 2 walks and 32 Ks. His 2006-2008 stats appear screwed up, as his ERAs are all over 13.00. Is this something that the game has spawned in my game only, or does this guy do this every time? I hope he flames out - or I can trade for him.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #45
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Um...so I'm at the trade deadline of my first season with the Tigers, and I'm looking at the league leaders in the minors to see if anyone is interesting, and I see this dude (Daniel Gutierrez with KC's A team) who is leading the league with a 0.00 ERA. So I figure he's probably just moved up from Rookie league...but no. Dude is 18-0 in 19 starts, 139 IP, 9 hits, 1 unearned run (apparently leading to his only no-decision of the year), 2 walks and 32 Ks. His 2006-2008 stats appear screwed up, as his ERAs are all over 13.00. Is this something that the game has spawned in my game only, or does this guy do this every time? I hope he flames out - or I can trade for him.

If the guy has allowed nine hits on 394 balls in play, fuck him. Trade for his fielders.

Last edited by Shkspr : 04-04-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #46
rjolley
College Starter

KSyrup: I saw that with BM2009 when I ran history for a league. There were 2 pitchers like that in one league out of ~15 that I generated for testing. I never had the time to research it or look it up on sportsmogul.com. I just wrote it off as an anomaly.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #47
Ksyrup

Guess I'll keep an eye on him. If he does that at the ML level, I'll have to edit him or delete him.

Here's another question...what is with the misplaced BB and HR columns on boxscores? What pitching boxscore shows IP, H, BB, HR, and THEN R, ER, and Ks? Same thing with hitters - BBs and HRs are stuck in the middle of the line score. Very odd.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #48
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Here's another question...what is with the misplaced BB and HR columns on boxscores? What pitching boxscore shows IP, H, BB, HR, and THEN R, ER, and Ks? Same thing with hitters - BBs and HRs are stuck in the middle of the line score. Very odd.

I've mentioned it on here before, but that bugs the hell out of me. It's always been this way in BM, and it's actually one of the main reasons I don't play that much. I know maybe that sounds silly but I'm a total box score nerd and BM's stat arrangement is just stupid, not to mention very disorienting.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #49
Ksyrup

I agree, it's absurd.

Here's something I hope is supposed to be a joke. The recap for the 2010 All-Star game says, "With an eleven to eight [NOTE: another thing that bugs me - NO WRITING OUT THE SCORES OF GAMES!!!] victory before 40,615 fans, the New York Yankees won the 2010 All-Star Game." I only see A-Rod representing the Yankees on the AL team... Kinda funny, if it's just an unintentional bug.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #50
Ksyrup

Quote:

So just to follow-up on this guy... He finished the year 23-0, with 10 hits allowed in 178 IP. He gets invited tospring training, and proceeds to go 5-0 with 38 scoreless innings (despite giving up 1 HR!) and 4 hits allowed. So naturally, the Royals send him down a level to Rookie ball, where he has a 6 ERA in 3 starts before moving back up to A ball. So far, he's gone back to "normal" - 65 IP, 2.91 ERA, etc. So it looks like he made a deal with the devil that got revoked after 1 year.