Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Just as every individual has a right to sue Disney over comment cards. Karma's a bitch.

FTR, you didn't see me complain about the policy change, it's a smart call. As for the suits filed against companies like Disney most often those will turn out to be fraudulent (unlike the quite legitimate complaint that Disney had with the hospital) but that's how it goes, I expect it enough that I largely just shrug it off as one of those things.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, I found a nice package and I'm about to pull the trigger. VERY EXCITED to finally take my family on a trip other than our annual camping trip. My 6 year old is excited most that she and her sister have their own beds and bedroom in this 2 bedroom villa we will be staying in.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #53
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm a big fan of the mexican restuarant at epcot. awesome atmosphere and amazing food.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #54
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Well, I found a nice package and I'm about to pull the trigger. VERY EXCITED to finally take my family on a trip other than our annual camping trip. My 6 year old is excited most that she and her sister have their own beds and bedroom in this 2 bedroom villa we will be staying in.

The prices in Orlando right now for flight/room/park tickets are insanely good right now. If you're on a shoestring budget and want to go on a great family vacation, a trip to WDW isn't going to be any cheaper than what it is right now. I'll probably book a vacation down there relatively soon.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I'm a big fan of the mexican restuarant at epcot. awesome atmosphere and amazing food.

I'll agree on the atmosphere, but have always thought the food was extremely bland & bordering on mediocre. I guess that's one of the things about places you don't get to eat very often, it could easily cycle from bad when I go to very good when you go and back to bad by the time I go again.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-28-2009 at 07:53 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #56
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The prices in Orlando right now for flight/room/park tickets are insanely good right now. If you're on a shoestring budget and want to go on a great family vacation, a trip to WDW isn't going to be any cheaper than what it is right now. I'll probably book a vacation down there relatively soon.

Yes they are and the biggest reason we are going to do it now.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #57
gstelmack
Pro Starter

We'll be there in April, staying on property.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #58
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Consider it karma. Nobody harasses people about copyright claims like Disney. They sent a cease and desist letter to the hospital in my wife's hometown because they had painted Disney characters in the children's wing.

As did the estate of Dr. Seuss send such a letter to my wife's school because they had painted the cafeteria with his characters.

They weren't even good likenesses. They were 'free' from a PTA committee.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #59
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
We'll be there in April, staying on property.

I'll be at Dixie Landing in early April visiting our daughter.

If you live in Halifax, you might have seen this:

http://www.cbc.ca/stevenandchris/fullvideo.html?id=971455507&playlist=2f848d279048f710ba3c6dceb0f6d82ff4814a1c

It features my prospective son-in-law giving a tour of Cinderella's suite. It also ran as part of the Disney Christmas parade in Canada. They don't have as many commercial minutes up there, and needed to fill out the two hours.

His piece starts about 28.5 minutes in.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 01-28-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Just felt like it.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #60
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'll agree on the atmosphere, but have always thought the food was extremely bland & bordering on mediocre. I guess that's one of the things about places you don't get to eat very often, it could easily cycle from bad when I go to very good when you go and back to bad by the time I go again.

no, I agree. I only went once (and that was years ago), but I still recall how disappointed I was.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
I'll be at Dixie Landing in early April visiting our daughter.

Unless I've totally gone bonkers, it's now called Port Orleans-Riverside (or P.O.-French Quarter, I can't remember which was which) after a remodel/renovation a few years ago.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #62
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Port Orleans has been there a LONG time, broken into Riverside and French Quarter. We stayed there a couple of times in the 2000/2002 timeframe.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Port Orleans has been there a LONG time, broken into Riverside and French Quarter. We stayed there a couple of times in the 2000/2002 timeframe.

I had to go look this up to make sure of the details.
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FQ opened in 91, Dixie Landings in '92. They made some changes to PO:FQ and rebranded DL as PO:Riverside at the same time, April 2001.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #64
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Ahhh. We must have stayed in the French Quarter in 2000, then did the Riverside thing in May 2002.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #65
Butter
Coordinator

I'm really trying to resist going again this spring, you guys are making it hard.

Must. Not. Click on the link again...... aaaaarrrrrrghhhhh!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #66
Capital
High School Varsity

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside last October and found it very enjoyable. It was a nice location for a "reasonable" (land of Disney) price and was relatively quiet. I would recommend it again.

As for the food plan, while I have been a WDW many times, this was the first time we ever used the food plan. I found it to be useful and would use it again. As for Table Service, we went to Yachtsman Steakhouse (great food), Teppan Edo at Epcot, and one other at the studios. We just made a decision ahead of time that we wanted to eat well and this was the way to do it.

The best part for me was that I didn't have to worry about price. I didn't do the math, but I figure I came out ahead - maybe not the 30% Disney advertises, but I estimate 10-15% ahead. After all...I was on vacation...
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #67
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Yeah, the food plan worked out pretty good for us last time, and we're going to use it again this time.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #68
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Unless I've totally gone bonkers, it's now called Port Orleans-Riverside (or P.O.-French Quarter, I can't remember which was which) after a remodel/renovation a few years ago.

All of you are correct about no more Dixie Landing--except my wife and I still use our Dixie Landing mugs to get drinks in the food court at Riverside.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #69
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, the food plan worked out pretty good for us last time, and we're going to use it again this time.

The food plan is a good deal, I'm told. I've never used it because we like to eat at places that aren't on the plan and just nibble between those meals. But for families, it works out very well if you plan ahead and follow the advice on the various Disney fan boards.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #70
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Should I get Disney tickets before we go, or is it just as easy to get them once we are there?

It was actually cheaper to book the flight and hotel separate.. we are not staying at a Disney resort, but a resort really close by.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #71
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I dunno, I always buy ahead of time so you don't have to wait in line. Also make sure you buy the multi-day passes; after about day 3 additional days become free (and when we went two years ago, we actually saved a couple of bucks by buying 7 day passes instead of 6 days).
Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #72
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Should I get Disney tickets before we go, or is it just as easy to get them once we are there?

It was actually cheaper to book the flight and hotel separate.. we are not staying at a Disney resort, but a resort really close by.

I always buy ahead of time, BUT there is pretty much no discount for doing so, so if you don't mind waiting in line 5-10 minutes once you get there, buying there works just as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #73
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We are only going to get a 2 day pass since we are going to spend a day at seaworld and the rest of the time at my wife's Uncle's house.

Looks like the place we are staying at has some decent discounted tickets.. probably the best option since I could purchase them and have them waiting for us when we checked in.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #74
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Leaving tomorrow at 0700!!!

It's 54 degress here right now and 74 in Florida.. yeah baby!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #75
spleen1015
Coordinator

We'll be hitting Disney this year, the first full week in June right after school gets out.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This is a PERFECT time to be here. Magic Kingdom was awesome!!! The longest line we waited in was about 30 mins. Tomorrow we are heading to Animal Kingdom, I can't wait!!!

Seaworld also has another park called Aquatica, I think we are going to do that as well as Seaworld.. the consierge told us it's a "must do" park.

Weather is perfect and the kids have told us it's the best vacation evah..
Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #77
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
This is a PERFECT time to be here. Magic Kingdom was awesome!!! The longest line we waited in was about 30 mins. Tomorrow we are heading to Animal Kingdom, I can't wait!!!

Seaworld also has another park called Aquatica, I think we are going to do that as well as Seaworld.. the consierge told us it's a "must do" park.

Weather is perfect and the kids have told us it's the best vacation evah..

Must remember for future reference once we have kids...early May is the time to go to D-World.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #78
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Must remember for future reference once we have kids...early May is the time to go to D-World.

Yes it is.. at least so far. We'll see how busy animal kingdom is today. The lady at the magic kingdom told us to go to the back of the park once it opens and do the safari first, then work our way back.

We got to the magic kingdom at 9:00 when it opened yesterday and had the whole park finished around 4:30.

Sea World Aquatia lets the kids swim with dolphins and has a bunch of water stuff to do.

Oh.. the new Manta ride at Sea World opens tomorrow, so we are really excited to ride that!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #79
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Whatever you do... do not go in July/August. It was so frickin' hot when we went it was almost unbearable.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #80
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, I'm going at the end of July. I don't know whether to look forward to it or not. I'm a little frightened of the heat.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #81
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Avoid April. Spring Break KILLED us on waits. We have to figure out how to go in January / February or in May next time around now that the kids are in school.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #82
Butter
Coordinator

October/November is also awesome.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #83
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Avoid April. Spring Break KILLED us on waits. We have to figure out how to go in January / February or in May next time around now that the kids are in school.

Heh. We went to Animal Kingdom for a day last month, and it was indeed pretty crowded. My wife's aunt, cousin and cousin's daughter went to the Magic Kingdom on the same day and said it was absolutely horrid. We had planned of going there originally too but thought better of it.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #84
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Without question, the best times to go are.........

Late January/Early February
Early May
Early September
Early December (between Thanksgiving and Christmas)

If you go during those times, you'll have minimal crowds since kids are generally in school during that period. Early December is a great time because you get all the Christmas stuff while having small crowds. Also, you'll rarely have to wait more than 10 minutes for a ride in Early December and Late January. Most of the time you'll just walk on the ride or they'll even let you stay on the ride for another trip. It's great.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #85
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Late January/Early February
Early May
Early September
Early December (between Thanksgiving and Christmas)

That's basically when we would hit the Orlando parks as Florida residents. I'm still burnt out on Disney, and I haven't lived in Florida for 3 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #86
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We are VERY happy we pulled the kids out of school and went early May. This fastpass system they have in place for the rides is also one cool deal.

Two parks down, Sea World and Discovery Cove to go!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #87
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't think I could pull my kids out of school for a vacation. I also think it is illegal in Indiana.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #88
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I don't think I could pull my kids out of school for a vacation. I also think it is illegal in Indiana.

Lots of parents being charged with keeping their kids out of school, are there?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #89
spleen1015
Coordinator

I remember the principal talking about it when we went to kindergarten night before my daughter started school.

They also have a certain number of unexcused absences before they automatically fail the grade.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #90
Ksyrup

We drive to Texas every Thanksgiving to visit my parents, so we pull the kids out of school for the Monday and Tuesday (only days school is in that week) before Thanksgiving. But I'm not sure I'd pull them for an entire week. We just go on vacation in June or July.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #91
Ksyrup

Here, you get 10 absences, regardless of whether they are legit or not, before you fail. But that's just to make it to the next grade, I don't know if they would (or could) do something if they knew why a kid was out (sickness vs. European vacation).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #92
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Talking about absences reminds me of the good ol' days. My senior year of high school we were allowed 10 absences per class per grading period, 30 per year. It became an art form to make sure you used all 10 days in each class, so there were several days where (because you'd used middays for a dentist appointment or something) we would miss the morning classes, show up for the midday, and then find an excuse to check out & be gone again by afternoon.

Good times.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #93
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The kids took their homework with them.. but they haven't missed but a day or two all year up to this point.. we did have to meet with the teachers though before we left.

It wasn't like we have those rules here, but they are both straight A students.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #94
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Here, you get 10 absences, regardless of whether they are legit or not, before you fail. But that's just to make it to the next grade, I don't know if they would (or could) do something if they knew why a kid was out (sickness vs. European vacation).

Hmm, my daughter has already gone over 10 in 1st grade. A couple of these were leading into/out of breaks, some were medical visits, a few were "sick" days where she buffaloed my wife. Luckily she's a good student, so the absences shouldn't be an issue in moving on to 2nd grade.

We were asked by a group of neighbors to go on a cruise this coming October, smack in the middle of school (we reserved, but will probably back out). I know a couple of families have had trips like this in the past. Not sure how they've explained the time off to the schools.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #95
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Pirates of the Caribbean

Next time you go to Disney World be sure to check out the new 'Join The Crew' area of the Pirates ride. It is in the shop at the exit of the ride.

My daughter designed it

Pirate+League+015.JPG (image)

signed,

A Proud Dad
Old 06-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #96
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I went to Disney World when I was 8 as well. I still have memories from spending time with my dad there. Great choice
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cool stuff OldGiants.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #98
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not that I have any eminent plans to go visit Disney (tho I'd like to some day)- very cool, OldGiants

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #99
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
We were asked by a group of neighbors to go on a cruise this coming October, smack in the middle of school (we reserved, but will probably back out). I know a couple of families have had trips like this in the past. Not sure how they've explained the time off to the schools.
As someone who worked at a HS this spring and had a little sister who was a senior already accepted to college, I can guarantee you it's not an issue. As long as a parent confirms the absence and the student is in good standing, there is nothing a school will do, particularly if you tell them ahead of time and talk to teachers. I mean, you can be devious and just call in every day and claim your kid is home sick, but it really isn't necessary.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #100
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I am going to Orlando for work next month, and my wife is tagging along to vacation at Disney World. Neither one of us has ever been there before, so when my work commitment is done, I will stick around a few extra days. Being from New Orleans, I'm not worried about the heat. I remember what heat and humidity are like, even though I've been away from the south for five years. I'm pretty excited about it, especially since my employer is paying for most of my airfare, and my client is paying for part of my hotel stay. Ahoy!!!