Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Disney

Going to Disney this summer and I think we are staying at the Coronado. Anyone stay here? Is it nice? Worth it? What to do? It's me, the wife, and our 8 yearl old daughter.

Going through AAA and they recommended some book to help with planning (the wife is HUGE on itineraries).

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

1. Coronado is a nice place. You'll enjoy it.

2. Use the park transportation to go everywhere within the Magic Kingdom. Even if you have a rental, don't bother driving.

3. They have a lot of kid-oriented programs at the hotel. Don't be afraid to drop your child off for a couple of hours and eat a nice meal on your own. Honestly, your kid will likely end up having more fun than you do during that time.

4. Get a Park Hopper Plus pass assuming you are staying at least 4 days. It allows you to enter all of the parks anytime you want during the day. The 'Plus' part also allows you to go to a water park for one day. I'd highly recommend Blizzard Beach. It's an amazing waterpark experience that your 8 year old will love. They even have a ski lift that you can ride to the top of the mountain when your child gets tired of walking up the hill.

5. As far as eating, there's several things I'd recommend. Definitely attend one of the 'Character Breakfasts'. There's several held throughout the park each morning. They have a nice buffet and the different Disney characters roam around the restaurant. Great chance for your kid to take pictures with some of the characters without fighting crowds. A great lunch place is the Sci-Fi theater in MGM Studios. It's an enormous warehouse that is set up like a drive-in theater. You sit in the cars to eat and watch 1950s-era Sci-fi movies on a huge drive-in screen. Lots of great shakes and sundaes for dessert too. Great kids place. My favorite dinner place with kids is the German beer garden in Epcot. They serve a large variety of German food (there's kids food for the picky eaters). In addition, they have a live polka band and they have lots of audience participation. Lots of clapping to the music, singing the songs, dancing the 'chicken dance' on stage with the band, etc. Kids love it for all the stuff they can do, while the parents can enjoy a large brew and ride back on public transportation.

6. Tower of Terror, Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and the Yetti roller coaster are all must ride.

7. At night, the Fantasia show at MGM Studios and the World Showcase fireworks show at Epcot are both great shows for kids. If you go to the Epcot fireworks, make sure to get on the side of the lagoon with the wind to your back so the smoke from the fireworks doesn't blow at you and restrict viewing of the show.

That should be a good start for you.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-02-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
evil homer
n00b

we just got back from a week at Pop Century (me, wife, 8 yr old son and 4 year old daughter). couple of suggestions:

1) figure out what rides you really want to do and make use of the FastPass system. this allows you to come back to a ride at a certain time and go right to the front of the line. you can only have one at a time, so use them wisely. we never waited on a line longer than 30 minutes.

2) i disagree on the rental car. we always get one and use it every day. we take the bus to the parks in the morning and back in the afternoon, but when we go back to the parks in the evenings, we drove and by that time, a lot of people who had driven in the morning had left, and there were spots at the front of the lots. getting to the car and driving off is a lot better than waiting for a bus with 2 kids who are wiped out after a long day.

3) use the Dining Plan. i thought this would not be a good deal, but it was great. kids 9 and under are only $10/day (adults $37), but you get a sit down dinner at just about any restaurant, a counter service meal (burger, chicken fingers, etc) and a snack (just about anything under $4). if you are going to eat at nice restaurants every day, this is a must.

4) as for dining recommendations, the steakhouse in Canada in Epcot is my favorite. the mushroom fillet mingon melts in your mouth. also, on the boardwalk is the big river grille, which is a brewery that makes their own beer. you order a sampler and they bring out a shotglass of their 6 brews and you can choose after sampling each.

any other questions, fire away.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

After 17 (or is it 18?) trips to WDW, I think I can probably come up with a few tips

-- Put me in your wife's column on the advance planning thing. There are a couple of books that aren't bad (names escaping me at the moment), also several independent websites that are good (disboards.com is one). Consider your priorities & your likes (sit-down meals vs counter service for example) and then make sure you accomodate those first, then plan everything else around that. Some people want to max out their ride count, other prefer a more relaxed pace with some pool time at the hotel. That's probably the one thing the books won't help with - personalization. It's your trip (and your daughter's) so plan according to your own desires, not anyone's conventional wisdom.

-- Coronado can be a little hit or miss. The resort itself is above average as on-site goes but the service (housekeeping, maintenance) has been spotty at best, to the extent that we finally struck it off our list of places to stay. One of the best on-site food courts, The Pepper Market" of any of the properties, several notches above the average in both variety & quality. Other thing to be aware of with Coronado is how it sprawls & how that affects the time it takes to get to/from the resort buses. If there's no other higher priorities in terms of your room location, work with the cast member at check-in to try to get as close to the bus stop as you can. No sense walking more than you have to (you'll do plenty of that at the parks).

-- I'll echo Mizzou quite a bit on the food stuff. With an 8 y/o (which I gather from your phrasing is a first-timer), at least one character meal is a must. Breakfasts are good choices, we like Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary best of those (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto is the usual roster). If dinner is more your thing, consider the family style meal at Magic Kingdom's Liberty Tree Taven (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Chip & Dale, in a 1776 theme).
And lunch or dinner at Cinderella's Castle at MK is also a real experience, although reservations in peak season are tough (as in it might be booked up already). For more adult pleasing fare (although with kid options), Le Cellier Canadian Steakhouse at Epcot is good (more reasonably priced at lunch) as well as Rose & Crown Pub (killer spot for watching the nightly fireworks from their patio if you can get the timing right). The aforementioned Sci-Fi is the #1 choice at MGM on every trip for us. And the most underrated sit-down is the Plaza Restaurant on Main Street at MK, an absolute oasis amidst the chaos with lighter fare akin to counter service but in an infinitely more enjoyable atmosphere. I think we've eaten at virtually every restaurant in every park (and more than half the resorts), so any specific questions just let me know. Heck, I can even critique the different counter service stops.

-- Ditto Mizzou's advice on the Park Hopper option. With or without the water park option included, it gives you much needed flexibility to maximize your trip.

-- Also agree on the Fantasia show at MGM (if you see one sit-down show, that's the one) and on the dodging the smoke for Illuminations at Epcot.

-- I'm more mixed in my advice on transportation. In peak season, the bus service can be a huge downer. Let your personal tolerance for waiting in lines when you're exhausted be your guide on that IMO. Over the course of our trips we went from driving to using the Disney transportation back to driving (and picking resorts that gave us some water transport options).

That's at least two cents worth, but if you've got specific questions or would like input on anything else WDW either post it here or shoot me a PM, I'm happy to help. No sense reinventing the wheel IMO, so you're welcome to take advantage of the mistakes we made on our first few trips
Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil homer View Post
as for dining recommendations, the steakhouse in Canada in Epcot is my favorite.

Yeah, for fine dining, the Italian restaurant and French restaurant at Epcot are also excellent. I'd vouch for the Canadian place as well.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You know what the best part about not living in Florida is? By the time we make it back to Disney or any of the other Orlando parks, they might not have the exact same rides/attractions we saw visit after visit while we lived there. That would be refreshing! I've heard rumors that the Epcot "Technology of the Future" exhibit was redone to remove microwave ovens and cordless phones. Woo-hoo!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, for fine dining, the Italian restaurant and French restaurant at Epcot are also excellent. I'd vouch for the Canadian place as well.

Alas, the magnificent Alfredo DiRoma Italian restaurant at Epcot is no more

It had become our regular last-night-of-the-trip spot but the licensing agreement expired & was replaced by a reportedly lackluster in-house attempt.
Reviews on it have been fair at best, to downright awful. The revamped Chinese restaurant is getting pretty good buzz though but we haven't been since it was redone.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
-- I'm more mixed in my advice on transportation. In peak season, the bus service can be a huge downer. Let your personal tolerance for waiting in lines when you're exhausted be your guide on that IMO. Over the course of our trips we went from driving to using the Disney transportation back to driving (and picking resorts that gave us some water transport options).

I should mention that we usually go in the off-peak times, so this advice may be of more help since you're going during a peak time. In off-peak times, buses are often sitting there waiting for passengers. Probably different during peak times.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
Hammer755
High School Varsity

My wife planned our last Disney trip hardcore. I would definitely buy The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2008. They analyze statistical data (attendance, wait times, park activities) to plan the most efficient itinerary. The authors of the book also have a website - touringplans.com - that can help you plan your days (subscription required for personalized plans).

Another site that my wife subscribed to was Tour Guide Mike's. You can put in the specific days you are going and the kinds of things you're interested in and they will build your itinerary for you (again, using some pretty advanced statistical algorhythms). There were 2 very big tips that we got from these resources.

1 - Use the FastPass as much as possible. Most people don't use it because there's a not-so-obvious caveat. I'm not sure how much you know about the system, but for most of the big rides there is a special FastPass line that has a much, much, (about 10 more muches) shorter wait than the regular line. The catch is that the FastPass is timed, meaning if you pick up a ticket at 9 am, it will tell you a window when you can return to ride, in this case likely to be 10-11 am. You can't get another FastPass for any ride until the first time in your window passes (10 am in my example). What they don't tell you is that the later time of the window is not enforced at all, and I can verify this with experience. If you have a FastPass that 'expired' at 11 am, and show up to the ride at 6 pm, they will not even blink at you. So, I would stock up on as many FastPasses as you can throughout the day.

2. Do not go to the Parks on Extra Magic Hours days, because EVERYBODY ELSE does. On certain days one of the parks will open an hour or two earlier or close an hour or two later, and they advertise it as a perk, but really it should be avoided at all costs.

I personally would advise against the Park Hopper. Yes, it is a nice convenience to have, but there was more than enough stuff at each individual park to keep us busy all day long without wanting to visit multiple parks in a given day.

My wife and I debated whether to get the Disney meal plan or not but ultimately decided against it. We didn't want to feel compelled to stop and eat 2-3 times a day because we already paid for it. Financially, it is kind of expensive, but probably worth it if you like the convenience of having everything prepaid. We went to a grocery store and made sandwiches and snacks to carry with us and eat quickly so we wouldn't lose any time. For my wife, it was about the efficiency of getting our kids as much fun stuff as we could, and sit-down meals cut into that. Although, as noted earlier, we did do a couple of Character Meals that were definitely worth it.

I would also second the advise of using Disney transportation, and the fireworks shows are must-see.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 05-02-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Planning a Disney trip? Ugh!

You want to make reservations for a dinner and a show or two, but seriously, especially with kids, just go at your own pace and enjoy what you can. People rushing from place to place to make an appointment just tire out the kids and are squabbling by the end of the day.

Go with the flow, dude.

I think a group of adults can handle it fine, but you have NO CLUE what your kids are going to decide is fun day to day. Heck, this last time we spent 75% of the time hunting down characters, and the rest was eating or going on rides.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Oh, and with kids, don't forget the "back to the hotel for a nap and some pool time to cool off" early afternoon block.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Oh, and with kids, don't forget the "back to the hotel for a nap and some pool time to cool off" early afternoon block.

Now that I have a kid, I'm going to have to add things like this to the plan. I've been to the parks with kids before, but they were other people's kids, so I didn't care how tired they got because I didn't have to deal with the after-effects.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Planning a Disney trip? Ugh!

You want to make reservations for a dinner and a show or two, but seriously, especially with kids, just go at your own pace and enjoy what you can. People rushing from place to place to make an appointment just tire out the kids and are squabbling by the end of the day.

Go with the flow, dude.

I think a group of adults can handle it fine, but you have NO CLUE what your kids are going to decide is fun day to day. Heck, this last time we spent 75% of the time hunting down characters, and the rest was eating or going on rides.

I disagree. Going at your own pace and enjoying what you can is what leads to waiting in line for hours in a day. I'm not saying that you have to push everyone to the brink of exhaustion, but I think going in without a plan can turn out even worse.

Quote:

Certainly not picking on you, gstemack, but this didn't work for us either. The hassle of loading everyone up onto the bus/car to go back to the hotel, trying to get the kids to take a nap (key word is trying - yes they were tired, but they're still hyped up about Disney), then re-loading everyone up to go back to the park was just not worth it.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 05-02-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1 to infinity and beyond

Unless you've got an early-to-bed child, finish lunch, knock off one more ride on the way out of the park & leave the heat of the day (and one of the peak crowd times) to the amateurs.

Unless you have enormous crowd/waiting tolerance, the mid-afternoon is a gigantic circle jerk during peak season and the combined stress/strain/exertion has a bad payoff - 2-3 hours that has the worse ratio of waiting:doing than pretty much any other time period.

And re: gstelmack
Quote:

There's a balance that pretty much everybody has to find that works for them. We overplanned on a couple of trips, underplanned at least once. But finding the comfort zone makes the absolute most of the trip in our experience. Plus, there's the issue of differing priorities. For some people it's maxxing out rides, and there are strategies for that. For others it's about covering the key attractions and letting the rest flow as it may. And for others, it's about the overall experience, rides+shows+dining+etc.

Arguably, dining preferences -- all counter service, all sit-downs, a mix -- could very well be the single biggest thing that impacts the optimal style of "doing Disney". With sitdown meals in the picture, there's some advance planning required in most cases, and those plans will influence the timing & sequencing of everything else you do.

For us, we found the comfort level was one sit down per day, so those are picked in advance. Then it's reservation time (407-WDW-DINE, one of the few numbers I have committed to memory). Since we're two park per day people, our lunch/dinner & restaurant preferences and availabilities fill in the half the slots on the trip (broken into morning session & evening session). Once those are done, knowing our park priorities & favorites pretty much lets us rotate the parks based on the dining, avoidance of early entry days, taking advantage of Extra Magic Hours, etc. It's both an art & a science.

And in spite of those plans, we've learned how to build in enough flexibility to minimize the stress & insanity. It's neither planned to the minute nor entirely free form, it's a mix of the two. And for us, it works.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ooh, in the category of "little things" ... try to get to ride with the driver on the monorail. It's pretty much a first-ask, first-served thing, and if the "engine" compartment is empty at your stop then you can ride up front. Kids get a cute little honorary driver's license at the end of the ride, it's really a cool thing to do that doesn't cost a dime extra.

Also, since you've got a daughter, if you happen to be at MK very early and get to the gift shop behind the castle first, be sure to ask at the register whether Tinkerbell has woke up yet. It's explained better than I can as one of the tips in this thread.

And do a little advance research about "hidden Mickeys" which are a fun thing to look for throughout the trip.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ooh, in the category of "little things" ... try to get to ride with the driver on the monorail. It's pretty much a first-ask, first-served thing, and if the "engine" compartment is empty at your stop then you can ride up front. Kids get a cute little honorary driver's license at the end of the ride, it's really a cool thing to do that doesn't cost a dime extra.

Yes, do this! Just get to the monorail and find an employee fast.

Quote:
Also, since you've got a daughter, if you happen to be at MK very early and get to the gift shop behind the castle first, be sure to ask at the register whether Tinkerbell has woke up yet. It's explained better than I can as one of the tips in this thread.

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep this one in mind next trip. My daughter would LOVE this.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #17
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

The Unofficial Guide to WDW was a great suggestion. We did this before our last trip (no kids though) and planned everything out. The planning stage helped to add extra excitement and it gave us a good chance to see what was available so we could choose our must-see events as well as those we didn't care about. Once we got to the parks the plans went right out the window. We were in a low peak time and didn't need to do everything so carefully, but having planned everything out allowed us to improvise intelligently.

One big suggestion would be to try to plan meals outside of the main dining times. If you can avoid the 11-1 lunch times and the 4-6 dinner times, you won't be waiting as long in food lines. Also, see if you can plan on grabbing a fast pass to a ride you really want to go on just before heading to a meal. The built-in hour delay will correspond to your meal time and you'll be able to jump to the front of the line after eating. Of course this means you should also be smart about the ride you go on right after eating. The Tower of Terror or the Aerosmith rollercoaster probably isn't the best choice right after food.

Second recommendation is to go on the Tower of Terror. I normally hate free-fall rides, but loved this one.

Avoiding rentals is something that I will always do at Disney. You can have a Disney bus pick you up at the airport, take you to all of the parks, and bring you back to the airport. Your luggage will be delivered to your hotel, and you can check your luggage at the hotel. I have to believe that it is much easier dealing with a kid if you don't have your own luggage.

Meal plans are probably worthwhile. We didn't do this on our last trip and we regretted it. Even though they seem expensive, they still save you money.

See the end-of-day special event at every park you go to. Kids will love the character parade at WDW. The fireworks show at Epcot is nice. The Fantasia show at MGM is probably the best of the bunch. The character parade at the Animal Kingdom is probably the worst of the bunch, but still fun.

Plan carefully if you go to the Animal Kingdom. There are lots of kid activities there and the park doesn't stay open as late as the others.

Plan to do rides in the morning and evening and shows during mid-day. This is probably what everybody does, but waiting outside in the sun for a ride during the busiest part of the day will be painful.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My wife just added that the Mayan ruins swimming pool at Coronado (it has two) is my son's favorite of all the resort pools.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #19
Bonegavel

Great advice everyone! This is the kind of shit you can't get from a book.

yes, first trip for the daughter.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #20
Capital
High School Varsity

I haven't done character breakfasts in a while but well worth it if you have children.

If you go to Animal Kingdom, I have heard from a number of park workers to see the safari before noon. There's more animals walking around. Also, Exhibition Everest, Dinosaur (although may be too scary for children) and the Finding Nemo stage show are a must.

I tried to eat at the Canadian steakhouse at Epcot but was sold out. So, consider reservations. I will when I take my next trip.

I like the park hopper option because I tend to go in off peak times so we can see the majority of each park fairly quickly when the parks are empty.

We did not use the food option on our last trip but I may reconsider. While it seems expensive upfront, after I started doing the math, I believe we would have come out ahead had we bought the food plan.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
yes, first trip for the daughter.

Have you settled on how many days you'll be there yet?
And on the exact dates? (Every weekend in June is Star Wars Weekend)
Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #22
Capital
High School Varsity

If you do go to Epcot, make sure you absolutely take in Test Track and Soarin. Soarin gives you a very experience and creates the impression you are on a hanglider. Fast passes are a must for this ride and they sell out rather quickly. It would be nice, however, if the movie used a DLP projector
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #23
MrBug708
Head Coach

Speaking of Disney and hotel, someone decided to jump out of the 13/14 floor window yesterday
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #24
Bonegavel

Quote:
Have you settled on how many days you'll be there yet?
And on the exact dates? (Every weekend in June is Star Wars Weekend)

we booked july 21st through the 26th. Damn on the Star Wars in June, would have been nice.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #25
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Not an experienced WDW traveler, but I do follow a Disney blog site as I have been for over 10 years now. I would also add the Unofficial Guide as being great, sometimes I would pick one just for the fun of reading it. Also from what I have read from many, go rental, Disney transportation can be convenience at times or a nightmare. I think Kevin Yee has yet another book out on WDW dining but have not read any of them.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #26
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

My daughter works for Disney, the past three years in Guest Relations in the Magic Kingdom. In April, she started her new job in Imagineering, so she won't be in the park any more. However, her boyfriend (and many other friends) is still in Guest Relations and does many of the tours. His 'Family Magic' Tour costs extra, but he does an excellent job and it is very kid oriented.

Also, if you win the night in the suite in Cinderella's castle, you may meet him because he is often the concierge on the late shift. Her long time friend and suite-mate is manager of the Liberty Tree restaurant and she has managed many of the other ones, too.

Coronado Springs is a nice place to go when you have kids. We stayed there right after it opened and some glitches (like the hot water not running one morning) but otherwise it is fine. The buses will be crowded, particularly coming back from the Magic Kingdom when its closing. As to Extra Magic, yes stay away from that park that day, but do go to the Extra Magic hours that they charge for. I don't know if that's the same name or not. But when they sell extra tickets, fewer folks are in the park and you can do things like ride Buzz Light Year continuously for an hour, like I did.

The newest ride is a Toy Story based ride like Buzz Light Year. It should be good. Not sure when it opens, other than soon.

Remember to ask for ice water from the concession stands on hot days. The will give you a large cup filled with water and ice. No need to spend lots of money on soda. Or buy the big mugs that can be refilled. You will have to lug those around, however.

The shows are great places to rest and recuperate. Nemo, Lion King and Bugs Life are must see for kids at the Animal Kingdom.

The Living Seas restaurant in EPCOT is expensive, but has the fish tank to look at. The character breakfast in the Grand Floridian is the next best to the Princess one in the castle, IMO. Lots of one-on-one time with the characters there.

Be sure to check out the Disney site for what rides may be down for maintenance when you are there, too. And remember, Space Mountain is frequently (like every other week) knocked out by a lightning hit, so it will be down for extended periods in the summer.

Any way, if anyone has anything specific to ask about, I can usual hunt down the answer from the person in charge.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
As to Extra Magic, yes stay away from that park that day, but do go to the Extra Magic hours that they charge for. I don't know if that's the same name or not.

Unfortunately, unless they reversed course in the past few months, they did away with the old Extra Magic program which allowed a limited number of tickets to be sold for the additional late night hours. Instead, it's limited only to guests staying at any on-site resort, who now get it as a "free" perk. The change really reduced the effectiveness of the benefit, not enough that it isn't worth doing but still nowhere near as good as it used to be.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #28
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Unfortunately, unless they reversed course in the past few months, they did away with the old Extra Magic program which allowed a limited number of tickets to be sold for the additional late night hours. Instead, it's limited only to guests staying at any on-site resort, who now get it as a "free" perk. The change really reduced the effectiveness of the benefit, not enough that it isn't worth doing but still nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Yes, now that you mention it, they did make that change.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 05-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #29
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

My daughter says this is the best site for information because many of the those who post are cast members or long time Disney goers and fans:

http://wdwmagic.com/
Old 07-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #30
Bonegavel

Thanks to everyone that posted here as it came in handy over the last few months. We leave tomorrow morning @ 7am from Phila International. Have to leave home around 3:45 (yummy).

Gonna be nice and hot but looks like the tropical storms are passing on by.

w00t!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #31
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yeeee....Have fun.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

enjoy!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #33
Bonegavel

Holy jeebus it is hot down here! You get used to the sweat dripping from every pore after a while.

Cordoba Springs is a nice enough place to stay. Everything is pretty much standard fare. Nothing special, but still nice.

The bus scheme they have is wonderful. Didn't rent a car and don't need to. Takes a lot of stress out of the equation. Disney does everything right. Can't think of a complaint (beyond the weather - and Disney hasn't figured out how to harness that yet) to this point and that is rare for me. Well, one complaint. It's after 12am and I wanted a water. Found the vending machine and it won't accept my $5's! Damnit.

Monday, we hit EPCOT. Today we hit The Animal Kingdom and tomorrow it's the Magic Kingdom. Great time so far!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Woot, wish we were there too.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:57 AM   #35
fflix
Mascot

Is there a good place to buy discounted park entrance passes from? If we get a rental car, is there a parking fee at each of the different parks? Will be making a trip to WDW in early September.
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #36
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflix View Post
Is there a good place to buy discounted park entrance passes from? If we get a rental car, is there a parking fee at each of the different parks? Will be making a trip to WDW in early September.

No discounts anywhere that I know of.

If you get the park hopper ticket, then there are no parking fees at all.

If you stay at a Disney hotel, the bus is best. Don't forget Mickey's Magical Express will take you from the airport to the hotel for free, so having a car at the resort is a bit pointless.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #37
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

The best pass discount is to have a daughter with a silver pass so you can get in free every day.

That, however, was a bit expensive on the child rearing side.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #38
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflix View Post

Can't recommend staying at the park hotels and using the bus system enough. Not having to worry about a car has been ultra super duper supremely awesomely dawsomly greaty great great.

We did Hollywood studios today and the following pic wasn't my wife's or daughter's favorite part, but it was mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpLergPiPM.jpg (58.0 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by Bonegavel : 07-25-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #39
Bonegavel

Oops, I don't know what I did wrong to that post, but I uploaded a pic and then linked to it.

(well, I went back into the post and just deleted the original pic and it only kept the attached. Hoped this is right)

damn, I should be in bed. Early character breakfast tomorrow at EPCOT.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 07-25-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:20 AM   #40
Izulde
Head Coach

EPCOT's my favorite of the parks down there.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
We did Hollywood studios today and the following pic wasn't my wife's or daughter's favorite part, but it was mine!

What? No picture of you on the the speeder bike?
Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #42
Bonegavel

Quote:
What? No picture of you on the the speeder bike?

hehe, no but I did get my daughter on there. There was a huge group of people around it and we were in a rush so I just snapped a pic of the little ball of estrogen. My wife isn't too good with my Nikon D70s.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #43
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I just read something that's both sad and predictable. Disney's City Hall at the parks have stopped taking positive and negative suggestions and compliments/complaints in written form. The reason is that Disney's legal wants to protect the company from liability lawsuits concerning suggestions from customers. In other words, let's say a customer complains that there are too many popcorn carts blocking the parade viewing areas. When Disney decides to move to the popcorn carts, the customer can sue the company for not compensating them for their idea. Another example is the addition of a popular Anaheim ride in WDW. A customer could sue claiming it was his/her idea to add Soarin'... (for example) to WDW based on a written comment. So, to prevent such lawsuits, all comments are banned. If you write a letter to Disney and it mentions something in the park, they will return it to you with a form letter stating that such unsolicited communication is prohibitive. That's what we get when we let lawyers run everything.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We are planning a WDW trip in May.. this thread is GOLD!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #45
SportsDino
College Prospect

That comment thing is the stupidest thing I ever heard.

Its good customer service to take suggestions and implement what you can. Lawyering up over something you could never sell (your whiny letters) is just abuse of the legal system.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #46
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
That comment thing is the stupidest thing I ever heard.

Its good customer service to take suggestions and implement what you can. Lawyering up over something you could never sell (your whiny letters) is just abuse of the legal system.

Blame the lawyers. It's the same reason game/movie/music companies won't listen to ideas: even if you're almost ready to release, if you have something that someone suggests at the last second, you open yourself up to a suit. Look at all the suits about "that was my song" or "that was my script". You just cut it off at the knees. It would not surprise me if this was a reaction to suits Disney has already faced.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #47
SportsDino
College Prospect

I do not doubt they have been sued... how this can be considered law though is just nuts. I'm all for the ability to protect your own content, I don't even fault the recording industry despite how unpopular such a position may be... but the notions of ownership are FUBAR in this country.

You have people actively stealing artistic content (music and movies) with lame excuses as to why its legal, or at least ethical, or payback... when the real reason everyone knows is its the practicality of theft (can't compete with free) that is driving them. Then you have others suing over the slightest shred of a thought that vaguely resembles the work of another to try and get fame or money (this policy by Disney, or the lady who sued over Harry Potter, etc...).

Maybe we should come up with some sort of system for registering concepts for legal rights in a sane and efficient manner. Like patents, but actually functional enough to be used by most people (I'm going through the patent process and no doubt will again and again, it seems more geared towards big businesses than protecting innovation though).

Have an idea, register it along with a plan of how to use it, get a window of time where you get the right to protect it, and if that window passes it is open for anyone with the means to implement it. Or maybe some automatic auction system with/without a time limit. Anything better than silly lawsuits that drown out protection of real ideas.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #48
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Consider it karma. Nobody harasses people about copyright claims like Disney. They sent a cease and desist letter to the hospital in my wife's hometown because they had painted Disney characters in the children's wing.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
They sent a cease and desist letter to the hospital in my wife's hometown because they had painted Disney characters in the children's wing.

As they should, since they have zero right to use the characters without proper license. And there's definitely no shortage of access to the characters through licensed merchandise/materials.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #50
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Just as every individual has a right to sue Disney over comment cards. Karma's a bitch.