Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2003, 05:37 AM   #1
HarringtonDynasty
In The Penalty Box

Lion Runningbacks

Artose Pinner, Luke Staley, James Stewart, Rafeal Cooper, Autry Denson, Shawn Bryson, Avon Coburn; Who will win the Lion Job this season...ofcourse this is of momentus importance considering the certainty that the Lions will be contenders....lets bat this around....Ill throw out the healed Doak Walker award winner Luke...Marucci likes him.

HarringtonDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I think its strange because all these guys have the potential to make an NFL roster, but I don't think that any of them will be much more than an average NFL back. Here's my thoughts:

Artose Pinner: I still wish the Lions would have taken Onterrio Smith instead of him in the fourth round, but from what I've heard, he should be good if he comes back ok from his ankle injury. Still a toss-up, but the potential is there.

Luke Staley: Still has the potential to be the steal of the 2002 draft. Lions took a flyer on him in the seventh round, but he was (guess what) injured last year in training camp and couldn't play. Supposedly he's ok this year; I'm not holding my breath, but if he can stay healthy he definitely has the talent to be a strong number 2/third down back. Could be real good in a couple years.

James Stewart: Will be the Lions starter going into the season, but this will probably be his last year with the team. Had a solid season last year, very consistent, but I think the Lions are looking for somebody with more breakout speed and quickness. Pinner et al will be given every chance to win his job away from him this fall.

Rafael Cooper: Local guy, undrafted last year, played in a couple games when Stewart was hurt. Showed flashes but with the improved depth at the position now, I think he will be lucky to make the practice squad.

Autry Denson: Supposedly looking pretty good in NFL-Europe, but, like with Cooper, it will be tough to make this team. Practice squad maybe.

Shawn Bryson: To me, the most intriguing name on this list. Got a lot of solid playing time in Buffalo before he was hurt. If he's back ok from his injuries, I think he may end up being the starter before the season's done.

Avon Coburn: Speedy little guy from W. Virginia, picked up after going undrafted; is the kind of guy the Lions like to cut who then goes to another team and gets some solid playing time. Needs a big training camp to earn a job here, but even if he doesn't stick with Detroit, he'll be in the league this season.

So if I had to set a depth chart at RB, it would look like this, at least going into the season:

1. Stewart
2. Bryson
3. Staley (as a third-down back)
4. Pinner

Then add one, possibly two, of Cooper, Denson, and Coburn to either the practice squad, or possibly a fifth RB. Keep in mind I didn't take into account their special teams abilities so I may be leaving something out in regards to that.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 09:08 AM   #3
cmp
Pro Rookie

I agree with ice. Stewart will be the starter and Bryson the backup. If Staley and Pinner can show they can play they could compete for some time with Bryson. But I expect Stewart to keep his job the entire season. But anyone of them will probably get a chance if Stewart gets hurt again.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 09:09 AM   #4
cmp
Pro Rookie

Dola

Or we could sign Allen Iverson. He showed some nice moves as a running back last night. He tucked the ball under his arm and wouldn't let go of it and stiff armed his way to the basket. Better then Stewart could do.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
mrbuttercup
In The Penalty Box

HAHA I AGREE WITH GOLD, IVERSON WOULD BE A GREAT RUNNING BACK!!!
mrbuttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Autry Denson is a good quality RB ....Just needs some play time .
Should have gone inthe first round a few years back but did horrible in the 40 yard .
Old 05-17-2003, 07:29 PM   #7
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Well did you get it?

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 10:02 PM   #8
tucker342
Pro Starter

I will, cause they all suck

Actually Stewart will probably get it.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 10:06 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbuttercup
HAHA I AGREE WITH GOLD, IVERSON WOULD BE A GREAT RUNNING BACK!!!

Actually, Iverson was an all state QB back in high school. Who knows, if AI had chosen football over basketball Vick might have been considerd an Iverson clone rather than then The Hot New Thing...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 05-17-2003 at 10:07 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 10:55 PM   #10
HarringtonDynasty
In The Penalty Box

Ice's breakdown is fair, however, I think in the second half of the season, we are looking at Pinner v. Staley. Both are better fits for the West Coast Offense. Pinner can block and catch better than Ontario (chunuch) Smith and should be servicable by mid season. I am also more optomistic about the back situation this year...someone is gonna surface...and when he does..he wont be weened in...but thrown in....they need to win quick...Millen has a bullseye on his head.
HarringtonDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 12:00 AM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

Cobourne is a complete back that lacks only breakaway speed. Over 5000 career yards rushing on teams that did not always have a great O-line, a great leader, solid receiver, and outstanding vs the pass rush. I was shocked that he was not drafted within the first five rounds, but I still think he will play 6-10 years in the NFL. I hope he gets an opportunity.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 12:10 AM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

I have nothing to add to this thread, other than to say "Up with Luke Staley!!! War Lions!!! Out...."