Old 05-15-2003, 09:49 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Didn't they promise a 4th?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:52 PM   #3
cmp
Pro Rookie

I'd like to thank the Lakers for getting embarrased tonight. Thanks guys, it was fun watching you get blown out.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Re: Props to the Lakers!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rexallllsc
Thanks for 3 great years!!!!!

Now go away, please.

The Lakers, that is.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
Jets80
High School Varsity

Thanks for letting the Spurs kick your ass.

Buh Bye.......Loosers!!!
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:01 PM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Buh-Bye...I only hope that they are gone for a few years...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:02 PM   #7
KWhit
Coordinator

Woo Hoo! I hate the Lakers.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:03 PM   #8
bbor
Pro Starter

What..no picture of Mark Madson dancing?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:35 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:08 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Glad you guys are so happy.

It saddens me to see such joy coming at the defeat of a fine team. The Spurs are very good and they won this one bigtime legit. And I certainly understand the Laker-hatred, being an anti-Yankee fan myself (and a Cowboys fan, which subjects me to much of the senseless same thing and continues to be an endless, pointless hatred, I might add, since the Boys ain't done shit in years).

Still, the last two Octobers, I don't recall ever rejoicing in much the same way when the Yanks were eliminated. Yes, I was happy they lost and said so (especially last October, when I was supporting the Yankee-killers), and I rooted fervently against them. But I never held anything, but deep respect for the Yankees, even if I hated them.

So to see this no-respect-given attitude from you anti-Lakers fans makes me sad (and a little bitter, but I'll deal with that). I hope one day you all will support a dynasty, a true great team, and then when they finally succumb, watch as others brutally tear them apart and give them no respect at all.

Last October, I didn't trash the Yankees, but merely gave them an appreciative nod for being a fine team that had finally met its match last year (or a hot team, as that bastard Torre put it). I know others did this same act as tonight, ripping into the Yankees and saying all srots of mean things to them. And I should have stood up then and ripped them for it at the time, but I didn't. Now that I know what it's like at the other end from some of you bitter anti-dynasty, anti-success individuals, my deepest apologies to all Yankees fans for not standing up for you and your team when it was unfairly ripped.

Remember, guys, for a lot of us sports fans, our teams are like our families. SO ripping away like this can actualyl hurt many of those reading here. I don't say we shouldn't have negative comments--but we should at least keep it fair and not relish in it TOO much.

Good day.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:04 AM   #11
ctmason
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum

Remember, guys, for a lot of us sports fans, our teams are like our families. SO ripping away like this can actualyl hurt many of those reading here. I don't say we shouldn't have negative comments--but we should at least keep it fair and not relish in it TOO much.

I don't mean any disrespect Chief Rum, but I think if you'll read that when you aren't feeling disappointed, you'll realize just how sad this sounds.

And I'll ask again, when are these playoffs going to be OVER?
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:12 AM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dunno who shows less class, some of the posters or Kobe after he makes a shot
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:21 AM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by ctmason
I don't mean any disrespect Chief Rum, but I think if you'll read that when you aren't feeling disappointed, you'll realize just how sad this sounds.

And I'll ask again, when are these playoffs going to be OVER?

Actually, ctmason, while I have generally supported the Lakers, I am not much of a Lakers' fan. In fact, I don't really enjoy pro basketball much at all, and if I had to pick one team, it would be the Clips, not the Lakers.

I enjoyed the Lakers' run in my own way, though, watching as an interested sports fan who happened to live amongst a whole area chock full of crazy Laker fans.

So there is no disppointment dying for me. I never really got up for them, so I don't feel this is an area that I'm going to see much different in a day, a week, or a year. Am I objective? Not entirely, since they were the team int he playoffs that I rooted for. I will now probably root for either of the Texas teams still in it--I have always enjoyed both squads.

But low class is low class--it doesn't really matter how you gloss over it. And some of the comments by some of the Lakers' haters here today are indeed low-class.

(BTW, "you" being a general reference to Lakers-haters, not to you personally ctmason).

I don't recall any Lakers' opponents getting so much hatred from the pro-Lakers contingent here after their playoff series wins in the last 13 straight series, except perhaps the Kings (and, hell, that could be expected, given rivalries and the endless brewhaha that wenton here during that entire series last year).

I think commenting on the game, or how the Lakers bowed out, or whatever is fair comment. But when you start talking about good riddance I hate you guys, may you never come back, See ya losers, and other such things in this and other threads, it gets a little ridiculous. I think most of you are better than that.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:22 AM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

You have some good points, Chief, and I'm sure this was at least in part directed at me, which is fine. To be honest, I probably deserve some criticism for not taking the high road after the Lakers were beaten.

The thing is, certain fans of these hated teams bring on the haters (like me) by being utterly insufferable when their teams win. Invariably, the teams that I hate the most are the ones whose fans are the most full of themselves. The Yankees fans, the Cowboys fans, the Notre Dame Fans, and the Lakers fans all have one thing in common: they have this sense of entitlement to championships. They think that their teams are fundamentally better than all other teams, and spend countless hours telling everyone else just how that is. I realize that not all fans of these teams are that way, but there is a high enough percentage of them that are that way to make large numbers of fellow sports fans loathe them and their teams. It's too bad, too, because it detracts from the very teams these guys love. It detracts from the accomplishments of a very talented team with two superstars.

Remember OldGiant's rant about the lovable losers that were the Arizona Diamondbacks a couple seasons ago? He was soooooo sure that they couldn't defeat the almighty Yankees. He didn't allow for even the slighest chance that the Diamondbacks might win, much less the fact that they might just be the better team. It's guys like him that create dynasty-haters like me. It's nice seeing them get knocked down off of their pedestal. It's nice to see them have to shut their pie hole for once.

That being said, I truly admire Kobe's will to win. The man has a fire inside him. I respect that. And I respect his ability to take over a game. On the other hand, I think he gets a bit full of himself at times. I think this can be a good lesson in humility for him. He's a young kid still. Maybe he'll change his attitude a little because of this. Maybe some day, I can actually root for him. Time will tell, I guess.

For now, I am going to enjoy seeing one of the nice guys (Duncan) enjoy some well-deserved success. And you still have three championships to look back on and smile about, so don't feel too bad. I suspect that you aren't one of those insufferable fans. You're probably one of the good guys.

Later,
Kodos
Old 05-16-2003, 12:36 AM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

One things for sure Chief, NO MORE ANNOYING LAKER CAR FLAGS!
Old 05-16-2003, 12:40 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm too tired for deep thought. So all I gotta say is thank god the Lakers lost.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:40 AM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
One things for sure Chief, NO MORE ANNOYING LAKER CAR FLAGS!

Thank God, MrBug. Thank God. Also, no more busy nights at the restaurant because of annoying Lakers fans. You may think, "Wait, but then you'll make money, Chief", but actually I don't--they sit there all game, usually being annoying ditwads, and leaving shit for tips. Well, the tips usually aren't that bad or centered around Lakers' fans, but considering they take up the damn table for three hours, I think I am entitled to a little more than $5.

Chief Rum

Old 05-16-2003, 12:42 AM   #18
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Very well said Kodos.

There's really nothing I could add to that. Nice job.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:48 AM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thanks, Neuqua! Strikes a heroic pose
Old 05-16-2003, 12:53 AM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think Kobe needs to quit whining, Kodos, but that's my only real gripe with him. And I can think of quite a few others that whine even more than he does.

Yeah, I understand where the anti-Lakers feelings come from, and anti-dynasty feelings in general, but it really is a vocal minority. Hate the guys with the sense of entitlement, not the entire fan base. I know you have taken pains in your last post to point out that you know the majority of these teams' fans are not like this, but no such allowances accompany yours or others' comments prior to that, so it essentially becomes a message of hate to all Lakers fans, not just the sanctimonious assholes you most associate with the team's fan base.

As for your Lakers' comments personally, I don't think anything you said really ticked me off here or in the other threads, although I'm sure some of your comments were borderline relishing too much in this. When I think of you, I mostly think of your senseless hatred of the Cowboys, another fan base that is apparently being represented by a vocal asshole minority, when most of the rest of the fans are longtime diehard fans who don't feel any sense of entitlement, but merely want the team to do well (the bandwaggoners having abandoned the team years ago).

I really do like the Spurs and the Mavs, although Mr. Nice Guy (as you call him) also needs to quit whining a lot, which I find he has done more of over the years than he used to. He doesn't whine as much as Kobe, but he does do it.

I probably won't be watching (I didn't even watch any Lakers' playoff games outside of flipping on a fourth quarter on occasion, and usually in the background while on the computer anyway). But I'll check out the highlights, and if it's close in Game 7 of the Finals, maybe I'll switch it on.

Chief Rum

Old 05-16-2003, 01:16 AM   #21
RawIsDan
High School JV

Well said Chief.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:44 AM   #22
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
I dunno who shows less class, some of the posters or Kobe after he makes a shot

You know what's funny...tonight when Kobe made a shot to tie the game, he ran up court...no celebating, just ran up court...later, when Duncan made a shot, he started yelling at the crowd...I would've loved to have a camera on Kodos as that happened.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:49 AM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
Well, the tips usually aren't that bad or centered around Lakers' fans, but considering they take up the damn table for three hours, I think I am entitled to a little more than $5.

Chief Rum

Damn campers need to pay some rent!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:56 AM   #24
Hammer755
High School Varsity

I would venture to say that Kodos' hatred of the Cowboys is anything but senseless. Not only do they have the burden of the backlash associated with dynasties as was mentioned before, but those teams were made up of some of the most classless, thuggy teams in recent pro sports history.

I share with him an intense hatred for the Cowboys and the Lakers also. Not because of their success, but because of the way they handle their success (and failure as well), and also their behavior not only on the field, but off as well.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 05-16-2003 at 08:59 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:36 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ah...of course.

Well, then, I guess, who am I to suggest that one might not be inclined toward a team's success in the first place, but to properly justify the resulting dislike (intensifying with continued success), one must sometimes latch on to any and all reasons to hate a team. The Cowboys are the thugs (despite Aikman and Smith being squeaky clean, among quite a few others), the Lakers are arrogant or "don't do it the right way", the aynks bought their championships, as did the Wings, etc. etc.

Chief Rum

Old 05-16-2003, 10:44 AM   #26
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer755
I share with him an intense hatred for the Cowboys and the Lakers also. Not because of their success, but because of the way they handle their success (and failure as well), and also their behavior not only on the field, but off as well.
I'm going to assume these comments are about the Cowboys. You want to provide some off the court Laker problems? How exactly did they handle their failure the wrong way last night? How exactly have they handled their success the wrong way?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 10:48 AM   #27
MrBug708
Head Coach

They Cried Brad. Very arrogant

Once the Lakers sign Jason Terry and P.J. Brown, we'll be just fine
Old 05-16-2003, 11:23 AM   #28
Franklinnoble
Banned

If I could give one piece of advice to the youth of America, it would be this:

Don't ever be a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Yankees, or the Los Angeles Lakers.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:28 AM   #29
Bishop
Mascot

Crying doesn't make them arrogant but all this whining about backlash against them is ridiculous.

You start a 'props to the lakers' thread AFTER they've just gotten beaten by the Spurs, where were their props when they were 3 time defending champions going on the 4th?

Thats more disrespectful to every other single fan in the nba then it is to say anything about the Lakers at this point.

Especially to the Spurs.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:46 AM   #30
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Crying doesn't make them arrogant but all this whining about backlash against them is ridiculous.

I was being sarcastic, but like Chief outlined in another thread, it's rather sad how much people hate the Lakers. Moreso then the Yankees

Quote:
You start a 'props to the lakers' thread AFTER they've just gotten beaten by the Spurs, where were their props when they were 3 time defending champions going on the 4th?

I'm sure you could find a props to the Lakers thread ont he old board, but who cares about last yera. Rex was thanking them for the great memories the past 4 years. Why are you so bitter about this whole thread? There isn't a rule in the posting rules about not posting a congrats thread to a team that some of us are actually a fan of? Heaven forbid in a sports forum

Quote:
Thats more disrespectful to every other single fan in the nba then it is to say anything about the Lakers at this point.

Kind of like the disrespect you've just show those who are Laker fans? Or to the Lakers themselves. They didn't make ANY excuse about why they lost. They've said the deeper team won and aren't complaining about losing. They were very somber

Quote:
Especially to the Spurs.

You are no better, if not worse then any Laker fan right now
Old 05-16-2003, 11:48 AM   #31
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dola

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but why even respond to a thread you don't care about?
Old 05-16-2003, 12:01 PM   #32
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop

Especially to the Spurs.
Have you ever watched a guy take a no-hitter into the ninth. What happens when a guy gets a base hit and ends the no hit bid? You get up and cheer the pitcher for his accomplishment.

This is no different. Whats wrong with saying great job over the past 4 years.

Then you mention, where were the props before? Isnt that what you've been complaining about all along. We are too vocal, right? Which is it.

How is it disprectful to thank your team for 4 great years?
Old 05-16-2003, 12:08 PM   #33
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I agree, Props to the Lakers.. 3 Titles in a row is an accomplishment, no matter how you look at out..

Now..., Now that that's over, how about a return to your post-Showtime/pre-Staples Center days... (..and to think I rooted for L.A. in all those Finals against the Celtics back in the '80s... What was I thinking?)
Old 05-16-2003, 12:12 PM   #34
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
Now..., Now that that's over, how about a return to your post-Showtime/pre-Staples Center days... (..and to think I rooted for L.A. in all those Finals against the Celtics back in the '80s... What was I thinking?)
Umm... just to clarify here.... Post showtime was after Magic and Pre Staples was before Shaq and Kobe. Are you saying you were a big fan of the Sedale Threat and Cedric Ceballos Lakers?
Old 05-16-2003, 12:13 PM   #35
Jets80
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by heybrad

Don't you mean "3" great years?

I wouldn't call this year a great year since the Spurs mopped the floor with them handing them a dose of reality.

I hope the Lakers and their fake hollywood fans never see another playoff game....ever!
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:18 PM   #36
Bishop
Mascot

Quote:
Have you ever watched a guy take a no-hitter into the ninth. What happens when a guy gets a base hit and ends the no hit bid? You get up and cheer the pitcher for his accomplishment.

Then you mention, where were the props before? Isnt that what you've been complaining about all along. We are too vocal, right? Which is it.

Not even bothering to reply to MrBug708's post as it already shows who the bitter one is.

But to clear something up, I never complained about them being too Vocal... Just because Kodos did ( I think it was?) doesn't mean everyone on the whole board feels the same.

I think if your the champions, you can talk all the crap you want... but just be ready to defend it at the end of the year.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving props to your team after they've had a great run, and the Lakers have... but its just irritating, not just this thread but all the others... Nobody has a single thing to say about the Spurs, or the better team winning lastnight.

It's all about how the Lakers won 3 in a row, like they should of got a free pass to the finals or how everyone is so happy that the Lakers lost.

So without a single mention of the Spurs, it does come off as arrogant and disrespectful when they are the team that advanced this time.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:19 PM   #37
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Umm... just to clarify here.... Post showtime was after Magic and Pre Staples was before Shaq and Kobe. Are you saying you were a big fan of the Sedale Threat and Cedric Ceballos Lakers?

I was a fan of those teams performances during those seasons.. 1st Round Knockouts and the occasional Lottery Selection were like music to my ears..

One other question, why didn't Kobe want to play in Charlotte after they drafted him? Was it a deal with Charlotte or did he only want to play for the Lakers?
Old 05-16-2003, 12:19 PM   #38
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I hope the Lakers and their fake hollywood fans never see another playoff game....ever!

Considering the Lakers have only missed the playoffs once since around the 50's or 60's, I dont think that will happen anytime soon.

I guess a team is defined as a great one when they lose in the Semi-finals and everyone calls it a disappointment
Old 05-16-2003, 12:28 PM   #39
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess a team is defined as a great one when they lose in the Semi-finals and everyone calls it a disappointment

Let's not forget that they came close to losing to Minnesota.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:35 PM   #40
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop

Especially to the Spurs.

Grow a brain. Did you see the standing ovation @ STaples? It wasn't for the Spurs. It was for the 3 years of great memories provided to us fans...
Old 05-16-2003, 12:37 PM   #41
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos

Yeh, and the almost lost to Portland 3 years ago, and almost lost to the Kings last year. So what?
Old 05-16-2003, 12:40 PM   #42
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
If I could give one piece of advice to the youth of America, it would be this:

Don't ever be a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Yankees, or the Los Angeles Lakers.

God forbid someone grows up in Dallas, NY, or LA, right?

Maybe we can all be like Kodos and pick teams from different cities to root for.......
Old 05-16-2003, 12:45 PM   #43
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

They won 4 games to 2. So, you are saying that the Spurs came close to losing to the Lakers then? Same senario
Old 05-16-2003, 12:48 PM   #44
RawIsDan
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer755

It's got to be about their success because all teams have had their share of problems with players off the field and how they handle things. You think everyone else is being choir boys ?? Every team has had players who are goofs but no one bothers to report it. To me the hatred often comes from fans who's own teams are perennial loosers.

Last edited by RawIsDan : 05-16-2003 at 12:50 PM.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:53 PM   #45
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Maybe we can all be like Kodos and pick teams from different cities to root for.......

Because rooting for a team from a different city is some sort of crime?
Old 05-16-2003, 12:54 PM   #46
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
They won 4 games to 2. So, you are saying that the Spurs came close to losing to the Lakers then? Same senario

I'd say the Spurs did come close to losing to the Lakers. One game away from a seven game series. That's close in my book.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:04 PM   #47
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

To be a bit more exact, Kodos will change his team alliances based on a single player, coach, or a change in wind direction. By the time Kodos is 40 years old, he will have been a fan of every single sports franchise in North America.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:08 PM   #48
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Have you ever watched a guy torch your secondary year in and year out, strut around in fur coats and hang out with hookers, and then he gets upended and lands head-first on the Veterans Stadium turf?

cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:24 PM   #49
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
You want to provide some off the court Laker problems?

I can think of several heinous acts committed by various Lakers off the court. Here are a few:

Shaq:

Robert Horry:

Mark Madsen:

Old 05-16-2003, 01:27 PM   #50
cuervo72
Head Coach

HA!!!!!